Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: CCL thread 2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Most of the Liverpool supporters I know (and I know many) wouldn't.

Having said that, there is a level of mutual respect that exists in that rivalry that doesn't in others. Perhaps because loyalties often cut across family lines more than most. So I can certainly see it happening.
    How many proper Liverpool supporters do you know?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cook View Post
    I just don't understand how you can want your biggest rivals to win. What's the point of rivalry then?
    It's not League play, they are representing your country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    It's not League play,they are representing your country.
    They're representing Canada? Don't tell their supporters that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From a stand point of how the world views the MLS, I am 100% supporting MTL on their run and hope they lift the CL Trophy.

I would love to see one day more than one Canadian team competing in the CONCACAF Champions league, and the only way this will happen is if Canadian teams are competitive in the MLS and in contentential competitions (and winning a few along the way). I'm also assuming that there is a similar system to what they have in Europe which caused Serie A to only have 3 UEFA CL spots by performing poorly in Europe. All in saying is Canadian teams winning can only help this.

I'm thinking about the growth and reputation of soccer in Canada, to me rivalries come second to that at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not League play, they are representing your country.
    They are representing their City. If they win there will not be parades in Winnipeg or at Parliament Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    ^^and this is what I mean... Tell an impact supporter to support anything Toronto.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gmacpheetfc View Post
    How many proper Liverpool supporters do you know?
    How do you define "proper" supporter? Anyways, not sure why it matters how many - I can just say from personal experience that most of the Liverpool supporters I know and socialize with on a regular basis don't really care one way or another that Everton is playing in Europa, let alone are cheering for them. That isn't to say, of course, that none would.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL this conversation again. We already had a few pages of this a couple of weeks ago in a different thread, when Montreal last played. Even if this thread goes to 100 pages, it won't be resolved (although we might get some people bent properly out of shape). Different people, different contexts, different opinions. Both in Canada & in many other countries.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 03-19-2015 at 04:53 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    Okay, let me rephrase that.

It's not League play, they are a team from your country.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    LOL this conversation again. We already had a few pages of this a couple of weeks ago in a different thread, when Montreal last played. Even if this thread goes to 100 pages, it won't be resolved (although we might get some people bent properly out of shape). Different people, different contexts, different opinions. Both in Canada & in many other countries.
    True, it won't get resolved here, and it is kind of a pointless argument for that reason. Ultimately, people should be able to cheer for who they want, for the reasons they want. It's a free country.

Heck, even I cheered for Montreal in the last round. But I really don't want them to go any further. I want us to be ones to say we were the first MLS club to win a CCL, and screw all the rest.

I just think there's a lot of incredulity though that on a Toronto FC supporters board, so many people seemingly wouldn't mind seeing our rivals revel in glory.
    Last edited by tfcleeds; 03-19-2015 at 05:17 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    They are representing their City. If they win there will not be parades in Winnipeg or at Parliament Hill.

^^and this is what I mean... Tell an impact supporter to support anything Toronto.
    Either up thread or on one of the threads about the quarters, an Impact supporter came in here and actually stated they did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurignano View Post
    From a stand point of how the world views the MLS, I am 100% supporting MTL on their run and hope they lift the CL Trophy.

I would love to see one day more than one Canadian team competing in the CONCACAF Champions league, and the only way this will happen is if Canadian teams are competitive in the MLS and in contentential competitions (and winning a few along the way). I'm also assuming that there is a similar system to what they have in Europe which caused Serie A to only have 3 UEFA CL spots by performing poorly in Europe. All in saying is Canadian teams winning can only help this.

I'm thinking about the growth and reputation of soccer in Canada, to me rivalries come second to that at the moment.

This !!! I'm cheering for Canadian teams when TFC is not there, and I enjoy the MLS much more now that we have three CA teams.

Koeverman's comment is still our challenge- until Toronto wins something and beats the best, they / we are still the worst team in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did this... why would we support another side in a Competition we aren't in...come up with RSL when they made it to the finals? I don't recall any of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurignano View Post

Unfortunately, as far as we know, there is no actual coefficient system that determines how many teams are entered per country nor is there one determining which teams are seeded. This is why a team like Orlando City could get a better seeding than TFC or MTL despite not having any past CCL record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post
    Unfortunately, as far as we know, there is no actual coefficient system that determines how many teams are entered per country nor is there one determining which teams are seeded. This is why a team like Orlando City could get a better seeding than TFC or MTL despite not having any past CCL record.

Well it is much more about national success. Panama as since the CONCACAF CL has only made it to the Quarter Finals Twice and never further. They are a Pot A Nation. Canada on the other hand, has made it 3 times, twice to the Semis. Two other years the Team that eliminated the Canadian Team from the Groups were a team that went to the finals. Teams from Panama are regularly at the bottom of the group table. Canadian team is rarely at the bottom even in the three team groups.

Canada isn't going to get a second berth with fewer than 8-12 teams in the Canadian Championship.

However Canadian teams doing well is good for Soccer in Canada. 55,000 at Rogers, 60,000 in Montreal.

If Montreal goes to the final I can't see the Big O not being packed again. Heck I might go..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    How do you define "proper" supporter? Anyways, not sure why it matters how many - I can just say from personal experience that most of the Liverpool supporters I know and socialize with on a regular basis don't really care one way or another that Everton is playing in Europa, let alone are cheering for them. That isn't to say, of course, that none would.
    My great uncle in the North of England, who is in his 80's, is a life long Liverpool supporter (poor fellow) - he was cheering for Everton today. I suspect most of his Liverpool supporting friends were as well. I also know more than a few older United fans that were cheering for City to do well in the CL.

Cheering for English teams in Europe is still pretty commonplace over in England, it was a lot more so a 10-15 years ago (although not across the big rivalries - except with the older generation)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm cheering for Montreal. I hope the win it, and I hope they win it in style. Just like I'd love to see top the top three for the MLS supporters shield be us in first, and Vancouver and Montreal in second, and I'd love to us beat Vancouver or Montreal in the MLS cup final.

Why? Because my love of Canadian soccer is deeper than my dislike of the Impact. And I have long held the opinion that the increased popularity of the domestic game is one of the keys to increasing the quality of our player pool.

I'll always remember something I was told by an elementary school teacher in the first or second year of TFC's existence. She said that her kids would always show up in Leafs gear talking about how they wanted to play hockey. TFC came along, and the kids started showing up in Dichio jersey's talking about playing for TFC.

That's why I want to see the Impact do well, and pack the Big O. Because in that crowd might be some 8 year old kid that decides he wants to be a footballer and play the game in this country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Well it is much more about national success. Panama as since the CONCACAF CL has only made it to the Quarter Finals Twice and never further. They are a Pot A Nation. Canada on the other hand, has made it 3 times, twice to the Semis. Two other years the Team that eliminated the Canadian Team from the Groups were a team that went to the finals. Teams from Panama are regularly at the bottom of the group table. Canadian team is rarely at the bottom even in the three team groups.

Canada isn't going to get a second berth with fewer than 8-12 teams in the Canadian Championship.

However Canadian teams doing well is good for Soccer in Canada. 55,000 at Rogers, 60,000 in Montreal.

If Montreal goes to the final I can't see the Big O not being packed again. Heck I might go..
    I took my 8 year old nephew to the game at the TFC - Galaxy game at the Rogers Center. It was his first game. He started playing soccer that year. Started playing FIFA on his Xbox, and starting cheering for TFC. All by and large to the experience he had at that game.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    My great uncle in the North of England, who is in his 80's, is a life long Liverpool supporter (poor fellow) - he was cheering for Everton today. I suspect most of his Liverpool supporting friends were as well. I also know more than a few older United fans that were cheering for City to do well in the CL.

Cheering for English teams in Europe is still pretty commonplace over in England, it was a lot more so a 10-15 years ago (although not across the big rivalries - except with the older generation)
    Yeah, I can see that definitely being the case 15-20 years ago when there was perhaps more of an "us vs. them" mentality in football. Nowadays, I'd have a hard time believing, especially amongst the younger generation, that your average Arsenal supporter would be cheering for the likes of Chelsea or Man United to do well in Europe. And I'll readily concede that most of the older LFC supporters I know would have absolutely no issue cheering for Everton (and vice-versa).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi I'm Impact fan sorry for basic english.

Like you, I do have hate for rival (in my case Toronto) but I did root for them in past CCL. I think it's pretty much same debate for Montreal fans, some don't mind, some do.

My modo is to never let hate go past sport. However I do understand TFC fans who would have preferred being first team to win CCL - totally normal. In any case, Mtl still far from winning the thing must not choke in Costa Rica.

Ok now the time to get cursed on this board lol. Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flip View Post
    Hi I'm Impact fan sorry for basic english.

Like you, I do have hate for rival (in my case Toronto) but I did root for them in past CCL. I think it's pretty much same debate for Montreal fans, some don't mind, some do.

My modo is to never let hate go past sport. However I do understand TFC fans who would have preferred being first team to win CCL - totally normal. In any case, Mtl still far from winning the thing must not choke in Costa Rica.

Ok now the time to get cursed on this board lol. Cheers.
    Why would you get cursed for posting your opinion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

because he's not real, just a figment of someones imagination trying to convince the haters that the love can be real.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is being made out to be more complex than it is.

I'll root for any amazing thing in sports, really. This would be an amazing thing.
    i like this post be caused it helped me explain to myself why I cheered for the Limp Act last night.

must say Reo Coker and Oduro both looked chubby and unfit. Hope it was the HD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It seems obvious to me. I'd cheer for any Canadian team when playing against Mexico or Central America.

One thing I've seen is that solid defence work is they key to winning continental football in CONCACAF. That's why Preki did so well in the CCL with TFC.
    Doesnt bode well for TFC under Vanney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I'm cheering for Montreal. I hope the win it, and I hope they win it in style. Just like I'd love to see top the top three for the MLS supporters shield be us in first, and Vancouver and Montreal in second, and I'd love to us beat Vancouver or Montreal in the MLS cup final.

Why? Because my love of Canadian soccer is deeper than my dislike of the Impact. And I have long held the opinion that the increased popularity of the domestic game is one of the keys to increasing the quality of our player pool.

I'll always remember something I was told by an elementary school teacher in the first or second year of TFC's existence. She said that her kids would always show up in Leafs gear talking about how they wanted to play hockey. TFC came along, and the kids started showing up in Dichio jersey's talking about playing for TFC.

That's why I want to see the Impact do well, and pack the Big O. Because in that crowd might be some 8 year old kid that decides he wants to be a footballer and play the game in this country.
    Very well put Brad. This "rivalry" is a figment of the imagination. We're within a 5 hr drive so we have to hate them? Sure they have an annoying handful of fans but im sure its not the majority. Even if you decide they are a rival then the point is to beat them t the top not for them to fight you in the sewers determining who doesn't finish last in the East.

Wouldn't it be much better for Canadian soccer and MLS soccer if a team makes its way to the World Club Championship? TFC could easily have been in this position if management had given a c#$@ about the V cup last year. Instead they aimed for a wild card playoff spot because fans only care about playoffs.

This should be a wake up call to management to not tank the CCL which has been the protocol post Winter.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Adder View Post
    This !!! I'm cheering for Canadian teams when TFC is not there, and I enjoy the MLS much more now that we have three CA teams.

Koeverman's comment is still our challenge- until Toronto wins something and beats the best, they / we are still the worst team in the world.
    Koeverman's quote is still my tagline for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Did this... why would we support another side in a Competition we aren't in...come up with RSL when they made it to the finals? I don't recall any of it.
    I was cheering for RSL in 2009, mind you that was easy because they are not a rival, plus they were an MLS underdog who overachieved in Mexico.

What would be harder for me would be the Krew, a rival and not Canadian.

Of course I would love TFC to be the ones there, but I don't believe it's a priority for this club. I blame the media and the fanbase, TFC is just responding to market pressure to make the league the only goal for now.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 03-20-2015 at 07:35 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of this is a moot point anyways, Montreal will likely be creamed in Costa Rica. They aren't as good as RSL in 2009. They did well, but their team just isn't at that level.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 03-20-2015 at 07:36 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/game-...-concacaf-win/

For those interested in the football, Molinaro's analysis as to why Montreal won.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 03-20-2015 at 07:36 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal is capable of an away goal.And they are unlikely to be overawed.

Stadium is called Estadio Alejandro Morera Soto Scotiabank.

And its a turf field.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    Question:

(To help me understand some of the views of this board.)

If the Montreal impact and FC dallas are in the 2015 MLS Cup final... Who are you "rooting" for?
    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    A good game. Like most things, this isn't a simple binary discussion.
    Montreal because they are Canadian not American.
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGooner View Post
    Dallas, because they are not Montreal
    Fantastic diverse examples given almost immediately.

To each their own is the answer.

Myself, I separate club and country. Once Toronto exits a tourney I'm not supporting anyone. My interest lies in the industry shown in the game. I would still hate to see our biggest (only IMO) rivals win anything.

I don't feel the need to support any other club for my country. I do that at international matches. There are several Canada games a year.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post
    I think Canadian teams winning could change this. If, lets say, MTL wins the CONCACAF Champions League (CCL), and TFC qualifies for the CCL, then I think CONCACAF will have consider allowing MTL into the competition due to them being the champions of the region. I think it will only be beneficial for Canadian soccer and the MLS if MTL wins the CCL.

In addition, if Canadian teams are constantly doing better than American teams in the league (used to happen all the time in the USL), it also will put more emphasis on the quality of Canadian clubs and CONCACAF will be forced to look at changing things to allow the best clubs in the region into their competition. Not to mention, I think TFC and MTL have some of the highest attendances EVER for a CCL match (I think MTL had the record a few years back). All I'm hoping for is by MTL winning, it starts a ripple effect allowing two Canadian teams to qualify into the CCL. Ideally, there should be a qualifying spot for winning the Canada Cup, and a qualifying spot if a Canadian team seeds high enough in the MLS, therefore taking away a spot from an American team (or having both in). I'm not sure of the correct solution, but I think MTL winning will start these conversations.