Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: CCL thread 2015

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gmacpheetfc View Post
    Question(s): If the impact win do they automatically qualify for next years tournament? And if so does that mean the Canadian Championship doesn't mean anything this year?
    I don't know if they automatically qualify if they win but that shouldn't have a bearing on the Vcup entry.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    I was cheering for the impact to get past pachuca... Now I'm saying fawhkk them.

Being regional champs trumps any chants, any DPs signings, any playoff berths, any record sellouts.

What I'm saying is, they would be considered better than TFC forever until we have won it.

So I say now, Forza Allajuenese!
    Cheer the way you want. There will be others doing it differently.

You think it detestable to cheer for Montreal past a certain point.
    There are people in this very thread that think to do so at all is detestable.

There is room for all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just speaking for myself, personally. I am not in the camp that wants to see Montreal do well, in anything. The rivalry is there for a reason. The only thing I hope the team achieves is being able to stick around in Montreal for the long-term, as it gives us our only natural rivalry.

I couldn't bear even the thought of them being CCL champions, it something they will hang over our heads. With that in mind, I hope they crash and burn in the 2nd leg.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have to cheer for or against, I simply don't give a rats ass.

It's not TFC so I just don't care.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaLFC View Post
    Just speaking for myself, personally. I am not in the camp that wants to see Montreal do well, in anything. The rivalry is there for a reason. The only thing I hope the team achieves is being able to stick around in Montreal for the long-term, as it gives us our only natural rivalry.

I couldn't bear even the thought of them being CCL champions, it something they will hang over our heads. With that in mind, I hope they crash and burn in the 2nd leg.
    That's okay, to each his own.
    You can cheer for the Costa Rican club team, I'll cheer for the Canadian club team even though they are our rivals.
    Last edited by Petor; 03-19-2015 at 12:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    That's okay, to each his own.
    You can cheer for the Costa Rican team , I'll cheer for the Canadian team.
    I don't see it as that. I see it as Montreal vs. Alajuelense.

I will be cheering for Canada, when they actually play Costa Rica in the Gold Cup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be cheering for Canada, when they actually play Costa Rica in the Gold Cup.
    Sorry, worded it wrong, have since corrected it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On an even more micro scale you could look at it as CMNT players (at the very least Bernier and Tissot who seem to be the only ones getting minutes) vs. typical CONCACAF opponents that always seem to beat us.

If there is anything legitimate to cheer for, its for the success of regular/future national team members in the sorts of environments that we tend to struggle in come qualifying. And those members happen to be on Montreal and not Alajuelense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can understand the "Cheering For MTL" point of view. I suppose it's done because the game is still in relative infancy in Canada and thus people want the status of Canadian soccer to be raised by clubs doing well.

I suppose, I was just always taught to hate rivals. Just my point of view.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can understand the "Cheering For MTL" point of view. I suppose it's done because the game is still in relative infancy in Canada and thus people want the status of Canadian soccer to be raised by clubs doing well.

Agree with you there, I never want Vancouver or Montreal to win.

Germany is super weird when it comes to this, its not rare to see a Dortmund supporter cheering for Schalke in the Champions League.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My main interest is seeing underdogs go on a run. In practical terms that translates typically to MLS teams, given the record thus far. If it was a traditionally poor performing Mexican team playing well beyond expectation, I could get behind that.

Montreal is on a run so I'm interested. When they lose, no longer interested.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    My main interest is seeing underdogs go on a run. In practical terms that translates typically to MLS teams, given the record thus far. If it was a traditionally poor performing Mexican team playing well beyond expectation, I could get behind that.

Montreal is on a run so I'm interested. When they lose, no longer interested.
    Sums it up nicely for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Montreal blow this lead in Costa Rica it's going to be fucking GLORIOUS.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. It's right in the culture of sport here in Canada.

All one has to do is listen to "playoff talk". Especially hockey. Team A is out so I'm "cheering", "rooting" for Team B because they are Canadian, have the most Canadians on said team or just has A favourite Canadian on it.

I've done it and then wondered why. Not a real big interest and if its ones rivals for the rest of the season, why is it ok in the playoffs?

Takes all kinds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a bandwagoner. You can't say you consider someone a rival, only to then support them when they're doing well.

Fuck 'em. They'll get dipped in the next leg anyways and their season will be over

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is only one sports team that I despise enough to never cheer for under any circumstances. And that is the Ottawa Senators. Beyond that, I just like a good underdog story, and it matters not what teams are involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGooner View Post
    I'm not a bandwagoner. You can't say you consider someone a rival, only to then support them when they're doing well.

Fuck 'em. They'll get dipped in the next leg anyways and their season will be over
    I don't think it has anything to do with jumping on the bandwagon. That would imply that you are now a fan of that team. Nobody here is claiming to be a fan of the Impact. They are simply cheering for them in a that game. Big difference, I think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so how do you explain a Liverpool supporter cheering on Everton in the Europa cup match today against Dynamo Kiev?
    Talked to him in my local just now.
    He told me as long as it doesn't affect his team in the standings, he will always cheer for the English team even though they are a rival.

Maybe it's us who have to grow up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks "cheering for MTL is cool".

I think we're getting this forum confused with the Voyageurs forum, where all Canadian clubs are supported.
    Last edited by Shway; 03-19-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The under dog thing is any club that is not Mexican. No way are MLS clubs considered under dogs to Costa Rica or Honduras.

Let's keep it real.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question:

(To help me understand some of the views of this board.)

If the Montreal impact and FC dallas are in the 2015 MLS Cup final... Who are you "rooting" for?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question:

If the Montreal impact and FC dallas are in the 2015 MLS Cup final... Who are you "rooting" for?
    A good game. Like most things, this isn't a simple binary discussion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question:

Montreal because they are Canadian not American.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    A good game. Like most things, this isn't a simple binary discussion.
    LOL, exactly.

To clear this up for people who can't separate the two: people aren't cheering for the Montreal Impact. They're cheering for a) an MLS team to finally win CCL, especially a weak one; and/or b) a Canadian team to win.

But even those of us excited by that prospect know we'll be disgusted if they actually hoist the thing. It'll be good for MLS and good for Canadian soccer... but it will suck enormous hairy donkey balls, no doubt. It would be sweet, however, if they win and then we sweep them this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question:

Dallas, because they are not Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    LOL, exactly.

To clear this up for people who can't separate the two: people aren't cheering for the Montreal Impact. They're cheering for a) an MLS team to finally win CCL, especially a weak one; and/or b) a Canadian team to win.

But even those of us excited by that prospect know we'll be disgusted if they actually hoist the thing. It'll be good for MLS and good for Canadian soccer... but it will suck enormous hairy donkey balls, no doubt. It would be sweet, however, if they win and then we sweep them this year.
    I prefer TFC be the first Canadian club, or the first MLS Club. If its not us, I definitely don't want it to be the Whitecaps or the impact. I'll cheer for the Galaxy and the Sounders in the next installment of this tournament.

MTL has nothing to do with Canadian soccer, for the mere fact that Canadians don't play or barely play on this team. They represent their city more than the nation.

And with this my rant is over gentlemen

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question:

Dallas - no way I would want our rivals to win it. Having said that, I'd probably cheer for Dallas over just about any team in the East.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so how do you explain a Liverpool supporter cheering on Everton in the Europa cup match today against Dynamo Kiev?
    He told me as long as it doesn't affect his team in the standings, he will always cheer for the English team even though they are a rival.

I just don't understand how you can want your biggest rivals to win. What's the point of rivalry then?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    LOL, exactly.

Yeah, it would be a feel-good story for a MLS team to win it. That's why I want us to be the first.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Most of the Liverpool supporters I know (and I know many) wouldn't.

Having said that, there is a level of mutual respect that exists in that rivalry that doesn't in others. Perhaps because loyalties often cut across family lines more than most. So I can certainly see it happening.