Thread: CCL thread 2015

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/ccl/news/ar...ampions-league

some TFC players need re-education :P
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sportsnet have confirmed game will also be broadcast on Sportsnet one.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I give this hopefulness for Montreal to do well about 7 days....next Wednesday night, the first hard tackle and Hagglund and Morgan will be all "I HATES THOSE DUDES!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGooner View Post
    yeah, I admit. I went a bit far there LOL
    haha no worries, I dig the passion but that is a bit of a hot button issue.

Last week I was wanting CA to ruin Montreal, but after seeing how the game played out I'm shifting a bit towards neutral now. It's much the same way I feel about Mayweather vs Pacquiao, they can't both lose but I can enjoy the spectacle either way.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    If by coefficient you mean the number of teams? That will never change for a country that has only 5 teams. Regardless if MTL win it. (and it wouldn't seem right)
    But if you mean coefficient for which pot we will enter that doesn't really matter TBH. Considering they were drawn against a team from the US, and El Salvador the pot shit doesn't really matter.
    As recently as 5 years ago, Scotland had 2 Champions League spots and 3 Europa League/UEFA Cup spots (whatever it was called at the time). That meant that 5 teams from a league of 12 qualified for Europe... it wasn't a factor of the size of the league, but the quality and how they performed in European competitions. Yes, I understand that CONCACAF doesn't allot spaces the same way that UEFA does, but if Canadian teams show consistent success, then there is a strong argument to give for more spots.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@TorontoGooner

It should be noted that the Mexicans are taking this very seriously.

In Europe it's gaining interest and clubs are starting to take it more seriously. It's a newer competition so it takes a while for it to gain traction. Sure it's about the bucks, but so is every major competition, including the World Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    As recently as 5 years ago, Scotland had 2 Champions League spots and 3 Europa League/UEFA Cup spots (whatever it was called at the time). That meant that 5 teams from a league of 12 qualified for Europe... it wasn't a factor of the size of the league, but the quality and how they performed in European competitions. Yes, I understand that CONCACAF doesn't allot spaces the same way that UEFA does, but if Canadian teams show consistent success, then there is a strong argument to give for more spots.
    I've been saying this since the first year the Champions League was formed in it's modern form. If not use coefficients for deciding number of representatives, at least have a coefficient system for individual teams to decide how the group seedings are determined. Mexico and US getting the top seeds automatically is borderline corrupt. Barcelona is a Pot A team in UEFA because they are Barcelona, not because they are Spanish. If they stop qualifying for CL, they will definitely drop in seeding for UEFA competitions.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I give this hopefulness for Montreal to do well about 7 days....next Wednesday night, the first hard tackle and Hagglund and Morgan will be all "I HATES THOSE DUDES!"
    The players will want to win.T here will be no warm feelings in the slightest!
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-29-2015 at 06:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's slow down here. This is not huge for MLS as a global brand. It's huge within MLS.

The Club World Cup is as pointless as the 3rd/4th place Playoff at the World Cup. Its purely a commercial enterprise. The only reason its gained any weight is because MLS is getting desperate, and the Impact as a franchise knew without this cup run, the season would be a write off. Its a bottom of the league club playing in an absolute joke of a competition.

Its so mickey mouse to support your rival. Fuck the League, fuck it being good for Canadian soccer (it won't make a difference, not a single Canadian will be on the pitch). I'm a TFC fan, and I hate the Impact. If anyone on here who is cheering for the Impact tonight dares to sing about their loyalty for TFC this year, they are merely showing how amateur and cringe worthy this league can be. It's embarrassing. We need a rivalry, not a lets-hold-hands-and-have-a-picnic mentality.

Anyways, rant over. I love all of you.
    European clubs are the only ones that think it's pointless. I'm pretty sure it's a big deal in every other confederation. I know it is for South American teams.

Totally agree with your second point. Seems like some people here are bigger fans of MLS than TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    If we get to count our 2 NASL teams then Scotland gets to count their 30 professional teams outside the premiership. I know Scottish league 2 is a bit of a stretch, but the point is they have the teams and the players to command so many European football spots. When we get to an 8 team voyageurs cup tournament, then we think about an extra preliminary draw.

As for coefficients, yeah it seems a bit unfair. But the CCL is still in its infancy so I don't mind having pre-appointed seeds for the time being. Maybe in 5 years they'll take another look at the format... that seems reasonable to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's slow down here. This is not huge for MLS as a global brand. It's huge within MLS.

The Club World Cup is as pointless as the 3rd/4th place Playoff at the World Cup. Its purely a commercial enterprise. The only reason its gained any weight is because MLS is getting desperate, and the Impact as a franchise knew without this cup run, the season would be a write off. Its a bottom of the league club playing in an absolute joke of a competition.

Its so mickey mouse to support your rival. Fuck the League, fuck it being good for Canadian soccer (it won't make a difference, not a single Canadian will be on the pitch). I'm a TFC fan, and I hate the Impact. If anyone on here who is cheering for the Impact tonight dares to sing about their loyalty for TFC this year, they are merely showing how amateur and cringe worthy this league can be. It's embarrassing. We need a rivalry, not a lets-hold-hands-and-have-a-picnic mentality.

Anyways, rant over. I love all of you.
    I don't disagree the Club World Cup really isn't all that much of anything, but I'd argue you're a bit harsh on what CCL is. It's becoming something, clubs are caring a bit more every year. We're writing the history now so in the future it'll have some real weight to it.

On the other hand, like we agreed in Orlando, fuck the Impact. Do Leafs fans want the Habs to succeed? Did Jays fans enjoy watching Farrell win a world series with the BoSox in 2013? For those who have latched onto Euro clubs from young ages, do you support your clubs rivals in UEFA tournaments? I'd find it hard to believe anyone saying yes to this stuff. MLS hasn't quite shaken it's "new and we should all be friends" nonsense yet. 30 years from now, this won't even be discussed, it'll build and we'll not even consider the thought of supporting these bastards. MLS is showing how young it is right now IMO. Had this tournament been 50 years old with multiple MLS winners, there wouldn't be a fraction of the MTL support across the league. No way in hell.

Lastly, I also am in agreeance this means next to nothing for Canadian soccer. At best some poutine eating offspring catch wind of the buzz and become a pro player or something? I don't see much else. Saputo will remain poorly attended all season regardless, book it. What exactly does Canadian soccer get out of this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a sell out at Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going for the Impact hate me all you want guys, hate, hate, hate, go Impact good for the MLS good for Canadian soccer, and yes I'm a TFC season ticket holder since day one, if anybody has a problem with me let me know come to my section and seat if you want and we can have a little chat sometime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

disappointed to not see Smits starting ... he's not even on the bench. Really wanted to see how he handled play at a higher level, instead we don't have a single Canadian player starting.. disappointing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be honnest guys Montreal don't need 7 are 8 years to put them on the map

we are in seison 8 and still nowhere

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow he walked it in amazing goal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsoronto View Post
    Wow he walked it in amazing goal
    the problem with the impact is they're always tryin to walk it in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone have a stream??

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JavierMartini View Post
    anyone have a stream??

http://firstrowca.eu/watch/342006/2/watch-montreal-impact-vs-club-america-mexico.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dodged a bullet... MTL key to the game is don't let them score 1 lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a let off for them. Montreal new goalie maybe an issue? Time will tell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can he possibly miss it from there?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 fouls, no cards.
    home team.
    concacaf'd.

this competition is fucked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wild game good for the neutral supporters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Piatti doesn't trust Oduro lol... He doesn't like to pass to him whens he's in the offensive third

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So how are we feeling about Oduro for Findley now?
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the CCL. I like that both finals have huge crowds. I don't care who wins. I have had a few beers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    So how are we feeling about Oduro for Findley now?
    same as i felt before.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no way does this end with 22 men on the pitch.

no way.