Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: CCL thread 2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get why anyone would believe that a win for the Impact is not a good thing for MLS, Canadian and North American soccer. Regardless of the opinion of the World Club championship there is no doubt at all that it gathers world wide media coverage and attention and therefore people are going to read about the Impact taking part and that certainly can do no harm in promoting the game over here. I don't really care too much about the Club World Cup but I do read about it and look for the scores and I see names of teams who I know nothing about and it makes me interested in reading about them. So regardless if they are our rivals I would rather see them represent our region than a Mexican team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly guys, the America players seem like entitled assholes. I cannot bring myself to hope they win, even against Montreal. Hate to say it but I'm pulling for the impact (Felipe not being there anymore makes it easier).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh I'm tired of hearing "it's good for the league". I don't root for the league, especially when their commitment to improving officiating and minimum salaries is completely pathetic.

Impact winning the ccl won't keep me satisfied when we're getting bent over by Toledo for the 12x in a row.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish they both could lose but at the end of the day I hope Impact lose. If they win we'll never hear the end of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta say Scotiabank is genius to have begun sponsoring this. Canada and Mexico in the final, two markets where they have a significant presence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The lack of support... means you'd rather TFC was a success in some basement league, ranked what? 12th?
    We are not going to cut off our nose to spite our face, TFC is ONLY as good as the league its in. If we won 3 times in a row the guardian
    would still mention our leagues obscurity in the world. We get a hell of alot of attention when we snag a big fish to come play for us for a bunch of millions
    Though I dont want a league where successful people dont want to come for the experience of OUR game. We are TFC but we are only as big as our league.
    Would rivals cheer for theyre enemy in other successful soccer nations? sure it happens all the time.
    Ukraine, Turkey, Switzerland, Netherlands, Sweden, Belgium, Greece.
    You want the most recognition and pull for your league and country in FIFA.
    When a club from your country and league is about to go further than ever before in history.
    It helps you too, whether you realize it or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a dilemma. Underdogs beating the odds is the most compelling storyline in sports. But, seriously, fuck Montreal. It's a complex world we live in.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
    I wish they both could lose but at the end of the day I hope Impact lose. If they win we'll never hear the end of it.
    they could end up at the bottom of the table this year as well and i guarantee you the next banner they bring is gonna have the cup on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    they could end up at the bottom of the table this year as well and i guarantee you the next banner they bring is gonna have the cup on it.
    And even if we were top of the table, we'd still be jealous... Which is telling how big a deal it is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal winning won't do shit for Canadian soccer. Just like Canada winning the Gold Cup didn't do a thing.

Their douchebag fans are going to rub this in our face till the end of time and some of you guys are rooting for that. I really don't get it. How can you root for your biggest rival ?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm fully cheering for Montreal.

its great for the league which will mean good for us.
    It's great for Canadian football because it shows that a particular style of play can get us further than we ever been. It shows that we have to change our footy mindset in this country.

And its great for my taste in footy.

Btw it's pathetic that the only highlights shown at halftime are epl....Chelsea.....blah blah blah. Dichio and sportsnet should be ashamed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember that time when that Asian team from ______ went through to the club World Cup and everyone said "wow, they must have a really good league!"

Me either.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    Their douchebag fans are going to rub this in our face till the end of time and some of you guys are rooting for that. I really don't get it. How can you root for your biggest rival ?!
    everybodies got their own preferences.
    some people think it'll be good for canadian soccer, and the MLS.
    some people think it'll give canada another champions league spot.
    some can't bring themselves to root for our rivals.

to each their own, as long as we keep the discussion respectful, we're all good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    And even if we were top of the table, we'd still be jealous... Which is telling how big a deal it is
    Yes we would and yes it is. How can you not watch and listen to the match right now and not be jealous that it was not us in that situation. They are 45 minutes away from making history by becoming the first North American team to win the Champions League....it's a very big deal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal winning won't do shit for Canadian soccer. Just like Canada winning the Gold Cup didn't do a thing.

Montreal winning would be so great for Canadian soccer, they might even let a Canadian player enter as a second half substitute!!!1
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

simple....football in this country is more important to me. I'd rather see canada make the World Cup than tfc win mls. Montreal winning can help us make the World Cup because it can influence the Canadian mindset. Imo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easy. Rational people can hold two contrary views for contrary reasons, you know that. I'll love what it does for MLS to get some world attention; I'll curse the dirt they walk on for how much we're going to have to hear about this shit. We better go deep into the playoffs after this, that's all I know, maybe even to the final.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goaaaaaaaaal fuck yea !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even now. MTL has to go on the attack now. Should open it up quite a bit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    Yes we would and yes it is. How can you not watch and listen to the match right now and not be jealous that it was not us in that situation. They are 45 minutes away from making history by becoming the first North American team to win the Champions League....it's a very big deal

they wouldn't be the first, but they'd be the first in the modern competition (it was called the champions cup before).

galaxy won it in 2000 and DC won it in 98 i think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't the issue here, why aren't TFC in the position where the Impact are in the CCL? Hell, we haven't even been in the playoffs yet. Instead of shitting on our rivals if they get some success, ask the question, why not us?

And for the record, I can't cheer for those Club America douchebags especially after the first leg.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGooner View Post
    Let's slow down here. This is not huge for MLS as a global brand. It's huge within MLS.

The Club World Cup is as pointless as the 3rd/4th place Playoff at the World Cup. Its purely a commercial enterprise. The only reason its gained any weight is because MLS is getting desperate, and the Impact as a franchise knew without this cup run, the season would be a write off. Its a bottom of the league club playing in an absolute joke of a competition.

Its so mickey mouse to support your rival. Fuck the League, fuck it being good for Canadian soccer (it won't make a difference, not a single Canadian will be on the pitch). I'm a TFC fan, and I hate the Impact. If anyone on here who is cheering for the Impact tonight dares to sing about their loyalty for TFC this year, they are merely showing how amateur and cringe worthy this league can be. It's embarrassing. We need a rivalry, not a lets-hold-hands-and-have-a-picnic mentality.

Anyways, rant over. I love all of you.
    It is good for getting exposure for the league and raising the level of regard for the league internationally. That is an objective point of view that I have. But I want the Impact to crash and burn and get shit-stomped. I will NEVER support them, despite my objective observations about the tournament's significance.

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Meh I'm tired of hearing "it's good for the league". I don't root for the league, especially when their commitment to improving officiating and minimum salaries is completely pathetic.

Impact winning the ccl won't keep me satisfied when we're getting bent over by Toledo for the 12x in a row.
    I don't root for the league, hence, not rooting for the Impact, but we should be able to admit that this is a positive for MLS.
    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Easy. Rational people can hold two contrary views for contrary reasons, you know that. I'll love what it does for MLS to get some world attention; I'll curse the dirt they walk on for how much we're going to have to hear about this shit. We better go deep into the playoffs after this, that's all I know, maybe even to the final.
    Yes.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTF is Bimbo?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    Mexico is part of North America

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
    WTF is Bimbo?
    It's like WonderBread in Mexico.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im more rooting for the terrible / corrupt refs to get fixed before we make it this far in the competition.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow Montreal defense looking shell-shocked and flat-footed all of a sudden. The ref also started pretty well, but then...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long May you root but that will never happen in CONCACAF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Asian Team has ever made it, You dont know much about it do you. 10 South american teams, 2 african and 10 europeans. Because you dont follow it does not mean the rest of the world does not count it one of the top 10 cups in the world.
    Theyre probably not going to win anyway. So you can be happy your team ranked like #1224th in the world is still close to its rival ranked #1350. Fuck theyre creepin up on #1329 Mumbai FC!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Impact are toast. CA are turning it up a lot here.

FWIW I really hate both teams.