Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast
Results 601 to 630 of 633

Thread: CCL thread 2015

  1. #601
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    4,410
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    For the sake of argument: can't we just say that rather than spending money on 2nd and 3rd DPs this league would benefit from more balance across the field?

    It gets a little tiring seeing such a huge drop off when someone goes down with an injury.
    This is exactly what the new CBA should have moved towards fixing but didn't.

  2. #602
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Der Torontör Weg.
    Posts
    18,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The only thing Canadian about this match, regardless of who won, was the location and the trophy.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

  3. #603
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,649
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This is exactly what the new CBA should have moved towards fixing but didn't.
    Promoting star players creates more money and hype than brining in 200-300K well rounded players to form a solid team, at least that's what's the MLS marketing people think.

  4. #604
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    15,030
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    LIGA Bancomer MXVerified account ‏@LIGABancomerMX

    La @MLS tendrá vacaciones en Diciembre... Otra vez. Nosotros nos vamos al #MundialDeClubes

    The @MLS will have holiday on December... Once again.

    We we're going to the #MundialDeClubes


    For those who think LigaMx doesn't take winning this thing seriously.

  5. #605
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    11,200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Promoting star players creates more money and hype than brining in 200-300K well rounded players to form a solid team, at least that's what's the MLS marketing people think.
    Does it though? For the first player, sure I can buy into the whole line of thinking.

    For numbers two and three? Outside of the big clubs (who can afford to spend the money anyway) the other teams use DP slots to find quality as opposed to a brand name.

  6. #606
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,649
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Does it though? For the first player, sure I can buy into the whole line of thinking.

    For numbers two and three? Outside of the big clubs (who can afford to spend the money anyway) the other teams use DP slots to find quality as opposed to a brand name.
    I think its mainly to restrict foreigners, instead of 6+ quality foreign players, they limit it to 2-3 for most clubs.

    Yes I agree with you that after DP #1 the marketing impact isn't a great deal for most clubs, like I've said elsewhere, MLS is a major part of the national team development pipeline, they aren't going to open the floodgates with foreign talent even though most teams could now afford to buy them.

  7. #607
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    THANK YOU CLUB AMERICA!!!! I don't care if montreal winning it would be "good" for mls, there's no way in hell i'll ever cheer for them

  8. #608
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    After Santos Laguna put a beat down on Montreal a few years back. The next TFC game in Montreal, I put "Quintero 28" in hockey tape on the back of TFC kit.


    Thinking of making the drive to Montreal next week. Might bring an America banner. Might even wear a sombrero

    Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    So sorry for all you guys who failed to see an Impact win being good for the MLS and soccer in Canada , soccer is not mainstream in Canada there are still many in the media who hate soccer with a passion, even today most media did not even mention this game don't even know what it is. Soccer is just not that big of a deal to hate on a team from your country and league yet here in Canada, anyways can't change someone's mindset it is what it is.
    One fluky Champions League win wouldn't have done anything for MLS/Canadian Soccer. The rest of the world will only start paying attention to MLS when the world's best players play here.

  9. #609
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 119
    Posts
    11,511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thank the Lord. It was a nice run, MLS club, Canadian club, etc., but it is still Montreal...

  10. #610
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,077
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Everyone should wear yellow for Club America when Montreal comes over to play in amway

  11. #611
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    11,200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I think its mainly to restrict foreigners, instead of 6+ quality foreign players, they limit it to 2-3 for most clubs.

    Yes I agree with you that after DP #1 the marketing impact isn't a great deal for most clubs, like I've said elsewhere, MLS is a major part of the national team development pipeline, they aren't going to open the floodgates with foreign talent even though most teams could now afford to buy them.
    Definitely a fair point.

    USMNT (with it's SUM deal) is setting itself up to be a powder keg of backroom politics and disfunction. You can bet the back end of all these americans being repatriated is MLS will push the USSF hard to have as many of their guys selected as possible. We'll see where that goes, but I'm sure we're not far away from the anti-klinsamann who mysteriously selects the local players over seemingly higher quality ones playing abroad.

    Also annoying that MLS (because of it's participation in SUM) is all gun-ho to release guys for friendlies on non-FIFA dated friendlies, but that's another issue entirely.

  12. #612
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A howler of a match from Reo Coker. Decent midfielder, shite fullback. I thought the same when he was playing for Vancouver and Dan Lovitz was making a meal of him.

  13. #613
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GUELPH
    Posts
    894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Good Run for Montreal but they came way too short. Nice to see a huge crowd there. But Club America were way to strong. Hopefully TFC can do something like this in a few years time.

  14. #614
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,535
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That run did something for soccer in Montreal. Those crowds in the Big O were crazy.

    I hate that Peralta ... but maybe he'd like to come to TFC in a couple of years?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  15. #615
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    15,030
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Everyone should wear yellow for Club America when Montreal comes over to play in the Voyageur's.

    Fixed that for you.

  16. #616
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,912
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default



    The Voyageurs Cup. This tourney is for Canada football supporters. I'll use that name forever and let those that HAVE to call it by the sponsors name do so.

    I'm just glad it's over for that tourney and we can start again next week.
    Nations League Canada vs USA Nov 15th!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  17. #617
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    As far as improving MLS's reputation, Montreal's meltdown in the second half doesn't do it.

    Curtis Lawson's cutting review of the game:

    http://www.torontosun.com/2015/04/29...o-club-america
    "Of all the things in life that don't actually matter, football matters the most." - Stuart McKeown

    Supporting since 2007


  18. #618
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,501
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Does it though? For the first player, sure I can buy into the whole line of thinking.

    For numbers two and three? Outside of the big clubs (who can afford to spend the money anyway) the other teams use DP slots to find quality as opposed to a brand name.
    Do you think TFC sell as many seasons this year without signing Giovinco?

  19. #619
    RPB 2019 Past President
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dichio Country
    Posts
    12,238
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post


    The Voyageurs Cup. This tourney is for Canada football supporters. I'll use that name forever and let those that HAVE to call it by the sponsors name do so.

    I'm just glad it's over for that tourney and we can start again next week.
    Agreed. That said, it shows you the power of sponsorship. How many of us call our home field the National Soccer Stadium?
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

  20. #620
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,912
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Agreed. That said, it shows you the power of sponsorship. How many of us call our home field the National Soccer Stadium?
    Just for full disclosure...they haven't always called it the National Soccer Stadium when its International matches being played. I'd love if people could share whats on the tickets they get this year.

    @Redpunkfiddle, which game was it we noticed BMO field on an International game ticket? A friendly? The U-20 WWC?

    Believe you me, Jack, I would LOVE to call it the National Stadium full time but well it would have to warrant it full time.
    Nations League Canada vs USA Nov 15th!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  21. #621
    RPB 2019 Past President
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dichio Country
    Posts
    12,238
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Just for full disclosure...they haven't always called it the National Soccer Stadium when its International matches being played. I'd love if people could share whats on the tickets they get this year.

    @Redpunkfiddle, which game was it we noticed BMO field on an International game ticket? A friendly? The U-20 WWC?

    Believe you me, Jack, I would LOVE to call it the National Stadium full time but well it would have to warrant it full time.
    Yup.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

  22. #622
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    21,499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    As far as improving MLS's reputation, Montreal's meltdown in the second half doesn't do it.

    Curtis Lawson's cutting review of the game:

    http://www.torontosun.com/2015/04/29...o-club-america
    I am full of respect for Toronto football reporters.

    Again, it is not right or wrong. But some of us believe is country over club. I am one. So when my club is not playing I support the other clubs from my country. Simple.

    I do not give a shit about the MLS angle, as for me, there are only 3 clubs in the MLS that I care about, TFC, Impact and Vancouver, and only one that I support, TFC. All the rest of the MLS are nothing but enemies ( as are the Impact and Vancouver when they play us). I do not give a shit about yankee clubs, or yankee soccer. Although I do respect and like individual players ( Bradley being the prime example, even before coming to TFC ).

    In football I am a nationalist.

  23. #623
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    They've moved north, apparently

    http://bimbobread.com/
    They also own in Canada the Dempster's & Villaggio bread brands.

  24. #624
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,912
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I am full of respect for Toronto football reporters.

    Again, it is not right or wrong. But some of us believe is country over club. I am one. So when my club is not playing I support the other clubs from my country. Simple.

    I do not give a shit about the MLS angle, as for me, there are only 3 clubs in the MLS that I care about, TFC, Impact and Vancouver, and only one that I support, TFC. All the rest of the MLS are nothing but enemies ( as are the Impact and Vancouver when they play us). I do not give a shit about yankee clubs, or yankee soccer. Although I do respect and like individual players ( Bradley being the prime example, even before coming to TFC ).

    In football I am a nationalist.
    Still everyone is different. I consider myself country over club in the extreme but don't need to support/cheer/root/follow any other Canadian or our rival club.

    I have a National team. It comes first.

    Then I have a club. Other clubs in my nation don't require my support.

    Different opinions.
    Nations League Canada vs USA Nov 15th!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  25. #625
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Still everyone is different. I consider myself country over club in the extreme but don't need to support/cheer/root/follow any other Canadian or our rival club.

    I have a National team. It comes first.

    Then I have a club. Other clubs in my nation don't require my support.

    Different opinions.
    I agree with this whole heartedly. And i would be more club over country. Even though I support our National teams.

    Its all in personal preference. I don't see any thing that would make me cheer or root for any other Canadian MLS team.

    I'd want to see the CMNT players do well if there on those squads. Beyond that they wouldnt get my interest at all.

  26. #626
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I get how many people would support the Canadian team, but here is the question how many Canadians actually were on the pitch? I didn't watch the game so I don't know the answer.

    Does it help the MLS is any of the teams win CCL sure, but all I care is if TFC wins it. I would have loathed the day Montreal won the CCL as we as fans would never hear the end of it.

  27. #627
    RPB 2019 Past President
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dichio Country
    Posts
    12,238
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    I get how many people would support the Canadian team, but here is the question how many Canadians actually were on the pitch? I didn't watch the game so I don't know the answer.

    Does it help the MLS is any of the teams win CCL sure, but all I care is if TFC wins it. I would have loathed the day Montreal won the CCL as we as fans would never hear the end of it.
    How many Canadians on the pitch? Two were subbed in once the game was already out of reach for the Limp Act.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

  28. #628
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A question: If the Limp Act had won the final, would they have gone to the Club World Cup, or is there another round of playoffs?

  29. #629
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,077
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    True, sorry my bad

  30. #630
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,649
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roca View Post
    A question: If the Limp Act had won the final, would they have gone to the Club World Cup, or is there another round of playoffs?
    They would have been at the Club World Cup, no other qualification is necessary.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •