Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: CCL thread 2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kudos to the impact. I don't care if they win or not, however Klopas has his team very very very organized in defence. And that's been there success of this tournament, being able to absorb the attack, and hit them on the counter attack with Oduro stretching the defence with his pace.

impact look like Chelsea when they won the UCL recently. Park the bus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    That's interesting because reading this thread didn't make it sound fun to watch. Laser pointers and poor officiating seemed to get the most mentions.

Would a baseball league in Europe with huge budgets be a success?
    Watching the Limpact battle through the shitty ref/fans to come away with a tie is what made it fun. Wasn't the best game to highlight the sport or CONCACAF in general, but still fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    It's comparable to CFL that way. Families watch it and grow up with it but seldom does one hear discussion about it. Heritage goes a long way to prop a league or team even (especially looking locally).

It won't be taken seriously as the best on offer but it doesn't have to be - look at the CFL.
    Well, that's really the question, are there actually enough fans to sustain the league at CFL levels? And will the investors in the league be satisfied with CFL levels? Portu's theory that nothing is holding the league back except investment may be correct, but there has never been anything stopping a bunch of rich guys making that investment - except, I guess, they don't think it's a good one.

I really just wanted to speak to the idea that people have an interest in soccer failing. I don't think that's true. I just think that people may underestimate the level of competition for TV ratings. This is, as you say, a long-term project and like any other investment there is no guarantee of success.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    That's interesting because reading this thread didn't make it sound fun to watch. Laser pointers and poor officiating seemed to get the most mentions.

Would a baseball league in Europe with huge budgets be a success?
    Apples, oranges.

Apart from goals scored by TFC, 90% of posts in game are complaints.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    I love it so now all those posters who thought the Impact were going to get slaughtered are now coming out here and posting that the Impact still have to win at home no kidding they do, but at least this makes that game in Montreal mean something for the sellout crowd of 60 000 or so that will be there to watch, it will be a great night for soccer in Canada and will force the mainstream media to not ignore. All I want is for soccer to be in the spotlight once in awhile here in Canada and it will with this game in Montreal next week, I'm a soccer fan first a Canadian national team fan second and a TFC fan after that.
    I readily admit that I am surprised because I didn't think they would be able to go into Estadio Azteca and do what they did against America. They really have a chance of pulling this off now. I still want them to lose because fuck them, but this is impressive. It's great that there is a focus on soccer in the media for a brief period thanks to this, so at least something good comes of this whole situation. That said, I will NEVER back Montreal to win anything. I just can't bring myself to feel anything other than a desire for them to lose, no matter how good it may or may not be for the sport in our country.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    Kudos to the impact. I don't care if they win or not, however Klopas has his team very very very organized in defence. And that's been there success of this tournament, being able to absorb the attack, and hit them on the counter attack with Oduro stretching the defence with his pace.

They are intelligent on the counter they make smart incisive passes, and attack quickly. On defense they make mistakes, allow too much room ect, ect, but it is never as gabbing as ours, there is always someone, usually more then one in the vicinity.

They keep shape much better then us, so that there is always decent defensive organization and good passing lanes.

If we played like that give Giovinco and Altidore, we would be at the top of the league. I would like to see Bradley play the Reo-Cocker role. Oduro's speed is well used, to create space and problems for the defenders, on the counter. He may not score but he creates space for others to score. Jackson ( Does Fidley still have that pace) may be able to be used like that as well, although he has not played forward.
    Last edited by trane; 04-23-2015 at 10:21 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some ridiculously poor finishing by America saved their ass. plus IMFC got mauled on set piece defending. counter attack was good, but IMFC generally wasn't very good defensively
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    They are intelligent on the counter they make smart incisive passes, and attack quickly. On defense they make mistakes, allow too much room ect, ect, but it is never as gabbing as ours, there is always someone, usually more then one in the vicinity.

They keep shape much better then us, so that there is always decent defensive organization and good passing lanes.

If we played like that give Giovinco and Altidore, we would be at the top of the league. I would like to see Bradley play the Reo-Cocker role. Oduro's speed is well used, to create space and problems for the defenders, on the counter. He may not score but he creates space for others to score. Jackson ( Does Fidley still have that pace) may be able to be used like that as well, although he has not played forward.
    I'll give Klopas much credit for getting max use out of Oduro. utilized his speed well to keep America defence a little more honest, and I think Oduro improved on his off the ball movement. much more improved player than the one we saw with TFC. having a guy like Piatti helps Oduro as well, which Oduro never had with TFC
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Mtl goes to CWC, but misses this year's edition of CCL b/c Vancouver has the spot
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    some ridiculously poor finishing by America saved their ass. plus IMFC got mauled on set piece defending. counter attack was good, but IMFC generally wasn't very good defensively
    They definitely got let off the hook but considering the last CCL result at the Azteca ended with a 6-0 result. Their defence should still receive plaudits for allowing only 1 goal with the plethora of attackers that CA has.
    Last edited by Shway; 04-23-2015 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Bunch of spelling errors (happens when your using your phone :) )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish there was like a "like" button for these forum messages lol

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo1985 View Post
    I wish there was like a "like" button for these forum messages lol
    Full members of the Red Patch Boys can add to the reputation of a board user. Click on the star icon under the post. The user will know that you liked what they say, plus getting reputation adds green (or red if bad) bars under your name.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Full members of the Red Patch Boys can add to the reputation of a board user. Click on the star icon under the post. The user will know that you liked what they say, plus getting reputation adds green (or red if bad) bars under your name.

Awesome. Thanks Oldtimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

massive result for Impact. As much as I usually don't want Montreal to win anything, this would be very good for MLS and Canada if they win the next match!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This ref should be out of a job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impact will have to do without Bush in the return leg. The American goalkeeper picked up a yellow card after clashing with América's Paul Aguilar following the late goal, and that will put him out of the game in Montreal due to caution accumulation. The absence was confirmed by both CONCACAF and Montreal coach Frank Klopas after the game, and with backup Eric Kronberg cup-tied and 20-year-old Maxime Crépeau injured, on-loan FC Edmonton goalkeeper John Smits is likely to start in his place.

What a game to step into...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the banner team working on a congratulatory banner for when we face Montreal? Amazing result for Canadian soccer !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Impact will have to do without Bush in the return leg. The American goalkeeper picked up a yellow card after clashing with América's Paul Aguilar following the late goal, and that will put him out of the game in Montreal due to caution accumulation. The absence was confirmed by both CONCACAF and Montreal coach Frank Klopas after the game, and with backup Eric Kronberg cup-tied and 20-year-old Maxime Crépeau injured, on-loan FC Edmonton goalkeeper John Smits is likely to start in his place.

What a game to step into...
    It's plain corruption. High time has come for us to call a spade a spade. The only yellow america got was a clear red, as clear as it gets. Multiple studs up tackles and even a clear stop weren't even called. This needs to be dealt with and The ussf, the mls, canadian soccer and the fans need to put a stop to it. If this shit doesn't stop, it will continue on. I'd rather it not happen to us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    Is the banner team working on a congratulatory banner for when we face Montreal? Amazing result for Canadian soccer !
    This better be sarcasm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

montreal buddy got tickets so i'm going.
    should be a great atmosphere.

... so getting in the latin american spirit whats better for piss bombs. ziplock small or balloons

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 04-24-2015 at 06:46 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Klopas has his team very very very organized in defence.
    Klopas, or Concina? Hummm...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flip View Post
    Klopas, or Concina? Hummm...
    Concina has been influential for DCU as an assistant as well, and credited with revamping DCU defence last season.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL.
    Thanks - I jush spit out tea all over myself.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeff Carlisle ‏@JeffreyCarlisle 56m56 minutes ago Chicago Fire spokesperson has confirmed to me the legality & possibility of short term loan of Sean Johnson to Montreal for CCL match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Hmm, this is getting interesting now. MLS really wants Montreal to succeed. I'm curious to see what the Liga MX response will be. I'm expecting there to be a fair bit of bad blood between the leagues by the time this is all over.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Jeff Carlisle ‏@JeffreyCarlisle 56m56 minutes ago Chicago Fire spokesperson has confirmed to me the legality & possibility of short term loan of Sean Johnson to Montreal for CCL match.
    Nice big FU from MLS to CONCACAF if they pull that off. So you want to deny an obvious red card to the Mexican team + some other big screwup calls; then give a weak-ass yellow to the Montreal goalie in the last minute to get him banned for a game; allow laser pointers and all kinds of other crap by the Mexican fans to go unpunished? OK we can pull off some shit as well: move league games; loan players as needed; etc.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently it isnt happening.

@JeffreyCarlisle: Source from MLS now tells me that "there is zero chance of a Sean Johnson loan to Montreal." #CCL #IMFC #CF97

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    This better be sarcasm
    Lol. Yea.
    I hope they crash and burn.
    Very nervous that they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    LOL.
    Thanks - I jush spit out tea all over myself.

Quote Originally Posted by king10 View Post
    Apparently it isnt happening.

@JeffreyCarlisle: Source from MLS now tells me that "there is zero chance of a Sean Johnson loan to Montreal." #CCL #IMFC #CF97
    Good. That would have been a joke.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol. Yea.