Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: CCL thread 2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    the argument is how this would be good for canadian soccer. not basketball, not baseball.
    the club gets money, not the country. the club gets prestige, not the country.

i'm all for ANYONE else winning it (be it another MLS team, or another candian team), just not the impact.
    i'm not in the place where i can abide by UM02 holding this over our heads for the rest of the time.
    they already did that with their sole playoff appearance (which they horribly bombed out of).

keep in mind, this is the same team whose supporters ripped up our seats, stole from our bar owner, and pelted FAMILIES with batteries and coins.
    the same team who knowingly and openly wasted time, when they were in last place, just so they could TIE us and keep us out of the playoffs.
    The counter argument is that there's some little Canadian kid watching this game with his old man and as a result will choose footy over hockey. It's a very long term view, but look at what the Raptors have contributed to Canadian basketball over the last twenty years. We're at the point where a NBA player might NOT make our national team at the next Olympics, and I don't think a Canadian has ever suited up for the Raps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its pretty obscene that this game isn't being covered by TV coast to coast in Canada. The first time ever a Canadian side reaches the final of a Champions league final and instead we get back to back blanket coverage of legalized thuggery on ice. Many immigrants like myself have no interest in ice hockey but its held up to be a rite of passage and rammed down out throats by National broadcasters.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIves 1m1 minute ago Haven’t seen a referee crumble under the pressure like this since the East Side played the West Side on The Wire.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    The counter argument is that there's some little Canadian kid watching this game with his old man and as a result will choose footy over hockey. It's a very long term view, but look at what the Raptors have contributed to Canadian basketball over the last twenty years. We're at the point where a NBA player might NOT make our national team at the next Olympics, and I don't think a Canadian has ever suited up for the Raps.
    jamaal magloire, but he doesn't really count..
    again, anyone but the impact and i'd be fine, but i'm not at the place where i can cheer for a team and it's supporters who've done nothing but shit on us every chance they get. i'd say i can be the bigger man in this situation, but i can't, not when the next TIFO they bring to BMO would be akin to "hahaha! where's your trophies? where's your voyagers cup? you'll never win the champions league!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    And for all those lamenting the fact that there are no Canadians starting well how many Canadians start on the Raptors or the Blue Jays but other fans of these two teams in other cities in Canada don't seem to have a problem with this so why is it in soccer we have a problem when a Canadian team does not field Canadians in their lineup.
    the argument is how this would be good for canadian soccer. not basketball, not baseball.
    the club gets money, not the country. the club gets prestige, not the country.

i'm all for ANYONE else winning it (be it another MLS team, or another candian team), just not the impact.
    i'm not in the place where i can abide by UM02 holding this over our heads for the rest of the time.
    they already did that with their sole playoff appearance (which they horribly bombed out of).

keep in mind, this is the same team whose supporters ripped up our seats, stole from our bar owner, and pelted FAMILIES with batteries and coins.
    the same team who knowingly and openly wasted time, when they were in last place, just so they could TIE us and keep us out of the playoffs.
    The argument about how it would be good for Canadian soccer is your point simply to smoke and mirror away from SoccMan's post simply because you don't want MTL to win.
    It would be a win for Montreal, a win for Canada, and a win for MLS.

Keep in mind that those supporters are not playing the game, and no one here is cheering for their supporters - they're cheering for the players, Montreal, Canada, and MLS.
    There's a ton of terrible things that happen in Mexico that aren't soccer related and impact Canadian tourists. If you want to make this an issue that doesn't involve the players (as you've done by bringing in supporters), then i would cheer for Montreal than all the nonsense that takes place in Mexico and support their league or their teams.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jamaal magloire, but he doesn't really count..
    again, anyone but the impact and i'd be fine, but i'm not at the place where i can cheer for a team and it's supporters who've done nothing but shit on us every chance they get. i'd say i can be the bigger man in this situation, but i can't, not when the next TIFO they bring to BMO would be akin to "hahaha! where's your trophies? where's your voyagers cup? you'll never win the champions league!"
    it might give TFC supporters a kick in our collective ass to step up our game. we've been complacent for too long
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this holds up, it is the most amazing thing in the history of MLS.

By a mile.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bernier has been crap since he came on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

By a mile.
    It's a bloody big deal. Wait...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By a mile.

Impossible to avert your eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a goal!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too bad. Could see the lasers in Bush's eyes right before that. Should be FIFA sanctions but never never will happen. Never. Corrupt as all hell.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel bad for saying that now.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    it might give TFC supporters a kick in our collective ass to step up our game. we've been complacent for too long
    hopefully we embrace the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    The argument about how it would be good for Canadian soccer is your point simply to smoke and mirror away from SoccMan's post simply because you don't want MTL to win.
    It would be a win for Montreal, a win for Canada, and a win for MLS.

Keep in mind that those supporters are not playing the game, and no one here is cheering for their supporters - they're cheering for the players, Montreal, Canada, and MLS.
    There's a ton of terrible things that happen in Mexico that aren't soccer related and impact Canadian tourists. If you want to make this an issue that doesn't involve the players (as you've done by bringing in supporters), then i would cheer for Montreal than all the nonsense that takes place in Mexico and support their league or their teams.
    i think i addressed soccman's point quite well, but you haven't addressed mine at all.
    i also think it's ironic that you mention how i tried to "smoke and mirror away" from the post before going in depth about candian tourism.

i don't want either of these guys winning, and that's the point i want to make. i want TORONTO winning. if push came to shove, do i want a random team to beat my rivals? you're damn right i do. i made it clear why i don't think it would raise the canadian soccer so much as it would raise the profile of the impact, and i've stated that their team and supporters see this as a win for the IMPACT and not for CANADA. if you'd like to debate that, go for it, but please address my post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why aren't they telling us how much stoppage time?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Road goal doesn't mean much really. Nobody should expect the game in Montreal to end 0-0.

i.e. All this does is mean Montreal has to win back home.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see why a good TO soccer fan would want the Impact to win, and I can also see why a good Toronto soccer fan would want the Impact to lose.

No big discussion required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully Club America can close this out on the road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, a tie in Mexico for a Canadian team? Excellent result, and perhaps the late goal against the Limp Act allows us to cheer for and against them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see why a good TO soccer fan would want the Impact to win, and I can also see why a good Toronto soccer fan would want the Impact to lose.

Precisely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Hopefully Club America can close this out on the road.
    Concur.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a perverse way, maybe this organized performance by the Impact gets Vanney sacked?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a shit show of a game. Makes MLS refereeing look divine by comparison. Club America fans have no class with all of the laser pointers. I guess it's a good thing the second game is in Montreal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, spot on.
    the discussion hasn't really gotten outt've hand (in my books at least).
    long story short, i just wish we took the VC more seriously.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is good for soccer in this country that the CCL is going to end with a match that is competitive going into it, in front of 60K in Montreal (although part of me is wondering how many of those will be Club America fans).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About 10 CA players plus coaches crowding the officials after the match. Of course there will be no repercussions for that either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    It is good for soccer in this country that the CCL is going to end with a match that is competitive going into it, in front of 60K in Montreal (although part of me is wondering how many of those will be Club America fans).
    Not many at all. Only 15k Mexicans in Montreal. In the 2009 CCL match against Santos Laguna there were barely any Mexicans there as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a perverse way, maybe this organized performance by the Impact gets Vanney sacked?
    You'll have to connect those dots for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats harsh. On the other hand, they did not surrender a goal in the first minute, two in the first ten or three in the first thirty....
    Last edited by MightyDM; 04-23-2015 at 05:50 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember what happened to us at Santos Laguna?

This team's performance away to Pachuca and America has been simply remarkable. I salute them.