Page 32 of 197 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    RPB's first order of business should be to take up a collection to fund this.
    Go for it. You don't need RPB to organize.

This initiative would be easier after the results were seen, though, and I don't want it to get that far.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And look how well the Revs are being supported. If TFC's level of support dropped to those Argo-like levels, that would be an adverse effect.

The club has already acknowledged the unviability of playing on plastic when they switched to grass.
    It's unbelievable that these idiots could even be considering this. Toronto's soccer market is too Euro-centric to accept anything less than at least the APPEARANCE of professionalism. Pointy ball lines and more distance to the pitch will kill the club slowly but surely. It's not Seattle, where they haven't had better.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    It's unbelievable that these idiots could even be considering this. Toronto's soccer market is too Euro-centric to accept anything less than at least the APPEARANCE of professionalism. Pointy ball lines and more distance to the pitch will kill the club slowly but surely. It's not Seattle, where they haven't had better.
    If you're referring to BMO they assure that the lines come off and the field distance doesn't have to change with retractable seating. Not sure whether we here introduced that idea or anyone's said anything official about that yet, though. They WOULD be crazy to move back for both sports.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you noticed the way they run all their businesses? Is this really out of character at all?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And look how well the Revs are being supported.
    Like how they got 32k against us in the last home regular season game with Pats markings on the pitch? Or that they got 32k again in the Eastern Conference final?

They start slowly attendance wise and get big crowds in the summer and end of season.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Like how they got 32k against us in the last home regular season game with Pats markings on the pitch? Or that they got 32k again in the Eastern Conference final?

They start slowly attendance wise and get big crowds in the summer and end of season.
    Gently, Bentley,

Despite the occasional big crowd, the Revs have struggled to average annual crowds beyond the mid-teens for the past 15 years. And this is a team that has played in five MLS finals. The game is an abomination on a football field and Revs fans know it. Discussions about a new stadium for them closer to, or within, Boston have been going on for a few years.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    If you're referring to BMO they assure that the lines come off and the field distance doesn't have to change with retractable seating. Not sure whether we here introduced that idea or anyone's said anything official about that yet, though. They WOULD be crazy to move back for both sports.
    "They" who assure us that real grass can be scrubbed are hardly our greatest source of re-assurance. There are many who have scoured the sports world for even one example of how two such teams can share a stadium without these issues and it doesn't exist. Even plastic turf shows evidence of football lines and on any surface it only get worse over time.

It's unacceptable and the easiest way to make a soccer team look totally bush league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gently, Bentley,

Despite the occasional big crowd, the Revs have struggled to average annual crowds beyond the mid-teens for the past 15 years. And this is a team that has played in five MLS finals. The game is an abomination on a football field and Revs fans know it. Discussions about a new stadium for them closer to, or within, Boston have been going on for a few years.
    From the Revs fans I know in Boston - far and away the #1 reason for the low attendances is the location of the stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Are you saying the Argos were offered a spot at BMO and refused and went back to the Rogers Centre?
    The Argos were part of a group that wanted to build a new stadium in Toronto for the U20 World Cup which included MLSE, the Federal Government, the Provincial Government, and the CSA. Their share was $10 million. It was originally proposed for U of T but that failed when U of T changed it's mind because some colleges opposed it. The group then reached agreement with York and that also failed. The Argos then left the group and reached agreement with the SkyDome. Subsequently, the group reached agreement with the City and built "The National Soccer Stadium" at Exhibition Place, City owned, run by MLSE. At City Council a last minute motion opened the door for the Argos again but they again declined and remained at the dome. Whether this was for money or other reasons the Argos chose to drop out of the group and chose SkyDome.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 03-27-2015 at 03:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A condition of the city money was that Argos be involved with the stadium. It didn't specify when.
    That's not exactly true. Go back and look at the council minutes. It was a last minute addition and the motion was something like "not preclude use by". It was not a condition at all, the agreement between the city and the Group was about soccer and things like community use - those were Conditions. This was an add on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really an issue except for keeping the record correct; when the York site was abandoned, the Argos pulled out. It was a council compromise to allow for potential future use, to get a few anti-soccer councillors on side. The football club had no intention of pursuing it, which is why they worded the language carefully, so that MLSE has multiple arguments against it if desired (it can take the lion's share of profit from concessions and parking not owed to the city, it can decide the calendar, and the Argos have no access to naming or sponsorship money. In effect, MLSE would control the venue).
    Exactly. The Argos were not part of it at their choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    That's not exactly true. Go back and look at the council minutes. It was a last minute addition and the motion was something like "not preclude use by". It was not a condition at all, the agreement between the city and the Group was about soccer and things like community use - those were Conditions. This was an add on.
    How about you go find them and put them in here like I did with the "Argos Clause"

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about you go find them and put them in here like I did with the "Argos Clause"
    Good work by the way.

Heart wrenching, of course, but good.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I looked though most of the meeting minutes from 2005 and I couldn't find when the Argo Clause was put in. There is alot of amendments made in the October 2005 meeting minutes ( I think that was the last one before the final agreement ).

Some interesting stuff I did find was that if the Argos do move in, the "favoured nation" clause will be rewriten so that the Argos get a cut from parking/concessions etc.

Naming rights are solely MLSE's though.

The last of the meeting are here

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2005/m...l/cc051026.pdf
    Last edited by Mulder; 03-27-2015 at 04:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    I looked though most of the meeting minutes from 2005 and I couldn't find when the Argo Clause was put in. There is alot of amendments made in the October 2005 meeting minutes ( I think that was the last one before the final agreement ).

Some interesting stuff I did find was that if the Argos do move in, the "favoured nation" clause will be rewriten so that the Argos get a cut from parking/concessions etc.

Naming rights are solely MLSE's though.

The last of the meeting are here

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2005/m...l/cc051026.pdf
    great work but this appears to be the original LOI that excluded the Argos. There would have a later meeting, I think, for the final final approval.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    That's when it was put in no?
    http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2005/a...9rpt/cl036.pdf

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argos Clause: The “favoured nations clause” restrictions on the Argos shall include the stipulation that in no event shall an agreement with the Argos result in MLSE having to make additional capital cost contributions or fund capital cost
    shortfalls.

Thus why MLSE doesn't have to give into the Argos unless it makes financial sense to MLSE.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Thus why MLSE doesn't have to give into the Argos unless it makes financial sense to MLSE.
    And or it intends to buy them one day but in delaying that decision the "owner" of the Argos has to fund the Reno. Once the bill is paid, then they can look at buying.

Either way, MLSE clearly want the Argos here. Bob Hunter, Chief Facilities and Live Event Officer said so.
    Last edited by Pookie; 03-27-2015 at 08:09 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It says 'alterations' and 'adversely affect'. The pure and pristine grass pitch we now see TFC playing on would have to be 'altered' to accommodate football.

The Agros would bring in additional games that will stress and rip up the pitch. Quality of play would be affected. It could prove detrimental in attracting new signings to the club. That's adversely affecting the soccer stadium.

It will piss off many soccer fans who will give up their tickets. Lose enough of them and it could make TFC a less attractive commodity for sponsors. Further adversity.
    I see where you are going but pissing off soccer fans isn't adversely affecting "use."

Use would defined as playing on and MLS teams, some very good ones have played and continue to play on turf. Arguably, TFC's best season came on turf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, you can be a TFC fan, be against the principal of the Argos moving to BMO Field and still be able to acknowledge facts.

They were a part of the plans for BMO Field. Argos decided to take their free rent and MLSE built the stadium in a way to keep them out. Now that MLSE have gone back to the city to redevelop the stadium it's given the City and Argos the gap in the door to get their foot in.
    You nailed it and at the time when no one was paying attention MLSE made a structural change to 1 end of BMO and poured concrete end zones. At the time, I'm sure MLSE thought it was a great play to ensure the Argos stay out, now it will just end up costing MLSE and the government a extra 28 million because of the end zone change

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by East York View Post
    You nailed it and at the time when no one was paying attention MLSE made a structural change to 1 end of BMO and poured concrete end zones. At the time, I'm sure MLSE thought it was a great play to ensure the Argos stay out, now it will just end up costing MLSE and the government a extra 28 million because of the end zone change

Bollocks. The Argos dropped out and went to the SkyDome. Their choice. Now they want to screw up a good thing by destroying the field? Bugger off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the council report that shows it is all soccer. Before the amendment, apparently:

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    From the Revs fans I know in Boston - far and away the #1 reason for the low attendances is the location of the stadium.
    That looks pretty bad on those fans then in my opinion for that to be their excuse. Gillette Stadium is about 30 min or so from the downtown if I recall. I drive 45 min at least to BMO every game. Lots of others come from farther. The football lines would be a bigger issue for me. So if I ever can see them at BMO I will be saving that 45+ min trip each way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by East York View Post
    If I'm reading that Argos clause right, it shouldn't cost the city or MLSE anything - the "capital cost contributions" as a result of an agreement with the Argos, should be fronted by the Argos.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    That looks pretty bad on those fans then in my opinion for that to be their excuse. Gillette Stadium is about 30 min or so from the downtown if I recall. I drive 45 min at least to BMO every game. Lots of others come from farther. The football lines would be a bigger issue for me. So if I ever can see them at BMO I will be saving that 45+ min trip each way.
    Hmmm... is attendance at Pats' games similarily affected by the distance? If not, it's somewhat bogus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the council report that shows it is all soccer. Before the amendment, apparently:
    Oops, here it is: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2005/agendas/council/cc051026/pof9rpt/cl036.pdf
    As you can see if you open it, it's soccer, soccer, soccer.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm... is attendance at Pats' games similarily affected by the distance? If not, it's somewhat bogus.
    The NFL is religion now. But for all of the 70's, the Pat's were woeful and had issues drawing crowds to Foxboro.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    More like 60 minutes going out, 90 minutes coming home. The traffic jams coming back from there are legendary: there is only a two lane road that all the parking lots feed in to.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    More like 60 minutes going out, 90 minutes coming home. The traffic jams coming back from there are legendary: there is only a two lane road that all the parking lots feed in to.
    That is my next road trip in August. Can't wait to see that traffic situation. Sometimes getting to BMO ain't no fun either. Taken up to 2hrs before when some events weere on.

Patriots fans would have the same traffic issue. 15K average Revs attendance. 68K average Pats attendance. I still don't buy the traffic argument as the reason.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops, here it is: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2005/agendas/council/cc051026/pof9rpt/cl036.pdf
    As you can see if you open it, it's soccer, soccer, soccer.
    Except for the part where it says "20,000-seat stadium (capable of expansion to 30,000 seats and capable of conversion to afootball format)"
    On Page 6, ii

Or the attached appendix
    Last edited by Mulder; 03-28-2015 at 09:31 AM.