Results 2,881 to 2,910 of 5892
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milanista View Post
    TFC is worth way more than the Argos
    MLSE has spent tons of money to get TFC going

I think they have lots to lose here if they mess up, its in their best interest to get this right. If they don't, they have to choices...continue to have a shitty field and lose tons of tfc fans or rethink the field and try something else.

All we can do at this point is wait and see
    MLSE don't care about the Argos either. This is about the Grey Cup and outdoor hockey games (lots of outdoor hockey games). TFC and the Argos are both being used to get those events.

There's probably also a big music business plan they haven't shown yet (trying to create another Coachella with boxes or something).

This is about a purpose built facility with heat lamps for BIG LIVE EVENTS.

Period.
    Last edited by ensco; 06-01-2015 at 09:08 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Not sure much updating or discussion is going on. I find this thread frustrating because there are interesting issues to discuss, but it's mostly just endless emotional argument.

We are not very important to MLSE, if we didn't all agree on that before, we all agree now.

I think I hate this hockey/Grey Cup reno and this Argos thing, I don't believe a word of the guarantees, but the facts will speak, and they are not knowable yet.
    You're right in that there is far more emotion here than info but the last (i don't care to know) pages spawned from the "Tile" rumour they were discussing months after someone had brought it up on a forum.

Which frightfully goes against your "not very important" statement.

Not that we're important enough for an official announcement, just important enough to possibly serve as ideamen. That would be so very disappointing.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats BS sorry. What hockey games do they care about?
    The winter classic? You cant host a game every winter, they might get 1 every 5 years if they are lucky...somne of you are hating just to hate, TFC and soccer is the fastest frowing sport....its smart business for them to get tfc going

MLSE don't care about the Argos either. This is about the Grey Cup and hockey games (lots of hockey games). TFC and the Argos are both being used to get those events.

Anybody see what Cirque de Soleil just sold for?

This is about BIG LIVE EVENTS.

Period.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The winter classic? You cant host a game every winter, they might get 1 every 5 years if they are lucky...somne of you are hating just to hate, TFC and soccer is the fastest frowing sport....its smart business for them to get tfc going
    Right, I AM JUST HATING TO HATE

hahahaha

see ya
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes.

The Winter Classic. In Canada it makes huge money and I don't like it any more than you do. It leaves us with a stadium we won't fill most games. Not unless we're winning. But this is how stadiums are built in Canada. For one time big events. It's how to sell it to taxpayers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is true. Soccer is going to be using BMO field the most from any other sports or events, so soccer interest should be met.

TFC, Canadian national games, International friendlies and even Gold Cup games are going to be played this year alone. Except more soccer next year at BMO field if Canadian national team manage to advance to fourth round in their WCQ campaign.

So grass maintenance is going to be more important if BMO field wants to be profitable. MLSE and City of Toronto can't afford to lose soccer interest with the money they're putting into BMO field.

EDIT:

As for concerts, there's already plenty of venues in Toronto to host concerts (both indoor and outdoor) that MLSE will have a hard time making money.

As for CFL, they simply don't play enough games and Grey Cup isn't going to be hosted in Toronto every year. So I fail to see how MLSE will make a lot of money from CFL.

As for NHL/Leafs, BMO field is too small to host outdoor game and NHL isn't going to allow Leafs to host outdoor game every year. Even MLSE/Rogers convince NHL to let Leafs play one game outdoors annually, MLSE isn't going to make enough money to justify their $100 million.

So really, it's soccer that will be x-factor for MLSE when comes to making money out of BMO field.
    Last edited by TFC07; 06-01-2015 at 09:19 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    You're right in that there is far more emotion here than info but the last (i don't care to know) pages spawned from the "Tile" rumour they were discussing months after someone had brought it up on a forum.

Which frightfully goes against your "not very important" statement.

Not that we're important enough for an official announcement, just important enough to possibly serve as ideamen. That would be so very disappointing.
    We are being chummed. Leiweke will be gone soon and nobody will spend vast amounts on tile or whatever to protect the turf for a minor league team for a few games a year. This isn't Manchester United.

They might try desso or something but I think we all know how that will go after a good rainfall.

The business case has never been there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes.

The Winter Classic. In Canada it makes huge money and I don't like it any more than you do. It leaves us with a stadium we won't fill most games. Not unless we're winning. But this is how stadiums are built in Canada. For one time big events. It's how to sell it to taxpayers.
    Not the Winter Classic. Just games and lots of them.

I expect 3-5 games a year. Games against the Habs, Wings, Hawks, the best teams. Bettman may not like it but he can eat it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post

As for NHL/Leafs, BMO field is too small to host outdoor game and NHL isn't going to allow Leafs to host outdoor game every year. Even MLSE/Rogers convince NHL to let Leafs play one game outdoors annually, MLSE isn't going to make enough money to justify their $100 million.

So really, it's soccer that will be x-factor for MLSE when comes to making money out of BMO field.
    Now this is the real discussion. I disagree but respect your point.

I think MLSE are done being poodles to the NHL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I expect 3-5 games a year. Games against the Habs, Wings, Hawks, the best teams. Bettman may not like it but he can eat it.
    How would they manage that especially with SSH who might like not outdoor games? I understand doing one game per year (like a preseason game at least) being okay, but I don't see Leafs playing more than one outdoor game per year especially it comes from expense of hurting their bottom line from taking games away from ACC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE don't care about the Argos either. This is about the Grey Cup and outdoor hockey games (lots of outdoor hockey games). TFC and the Argos are both being used to get those events.

There's probably also a big music business plan they haven't shown yet (trying to create another Coachella with boxes or something).

This is about a purpose built facility with heat lamps for BIG LIVE EVENTS.

Period.
    It would be fairly typical of them to try and get in on something just as it's ending:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...rvey-goldsmith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, big outdoor event games at BMO will work for both Bell and Rogers. They will likely have as many as they can until they run it into the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now this is the real discussion. I disagree but respect your point.

I think MLSE are done being poodles to the NHL
    I used to think it would be a good thing for Toronto to take more of a leadership role in the NHL but I always hoped it would be someone better than MLSE....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you expect 3-5 leaf home games to be played outside? You know the NHLPA won't let that happen bc it exposes their players to injury risk, like i said...leafs will be lucky to get 1 game every few years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a point - there's never been a "Winter Classic" in Canada - any of those outdoor games in Canada have been "Heritage Classics"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Is anyone, anywhere talking about roll away turf outside of this forum?
    Yes. There is a twitter quote a few pages back from a journalist which reported that MLSE is seriously considering using a roll out turf to be laid on terratile for Argo games.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Just a point - there's never been a "Winter Classic" in Canada - any of those outdoor games in Canada have been "Heritage Classics"
    Is there something to the name difference? Never cared enough to ask. You've got me curious

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are being chummed. Leiweke will be gone soon and nobody will spend vast amounts on tile or whatever to protect the turf for a minor league team for a few games a year. This isn't Manchester United.

They might try desso or something but I think we all know how that will go after a good rainfall.

The business case has never been there.

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Yes. There is a twitter quote a few pages back from a journalist which reported that MLSE is seriously considering using a roll out turf to be laid on terratile for Argo games.
    As stated as well

We'll need the tile for any other event as well. It will be purchased for everything else that goes on top of the footy surface.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 06-01-2015 at 09:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there something to the name difference? Never cared enough to ask. You've got me curious
    There's also the "Stadium Series." No idea what the differences are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As stated as well

We'll need the tile for any other event as well. It will be purchased for everything else that goes on top of the footy surface.
    Which player will get sold to pay for it this time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heritage Classic games have only been between Canadian teams. With the exception of that one game with the Leafs at the Big House (and the Habs next season) - all Winter Classics are between American teams

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Interesting, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter Classic = NBC's big outdoor game
    Heritage Classic = CBC's big outdoor game
    Stadium Series = Cash grab off the success of the WC

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't that Rollins?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    How would they manage that especially with SSH who might like not outdoor games? I understand doing one game per year (like a preseason game at least) being okay, but I don't see Leafs playing more than one outdoor game per year especially it comes from expense of hurting their bottom line from taking games away from ACC.
    They can give SSH the option of buying those games, or not, if they want.

Have you you seen the prices teams get for these games? MLSE get anything close to that, over 30K seats, that is big dough. Millions more per game than they get in ACC.

Do do you know how much latent demand there is for Leafs seats (ignoring recent terrible times)?

btw that is why we are getting the low roof imho. To maximize impact/potential of heat lamps.
    Last edited by ensco; 06-01-2015 at 11:39 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you expect 3-5 leaf home games to be played outside? You know the NHLPA won't let that happen bc it exposes their players to injury risk, like i said...leafs will be lucky to get 1 game every few years
    NHLPA can be solved via cutting them in for a small piece.

Bettman is tougher. That would be a fight. But not one I think Bettman is likely to win, if MLSE put their full weight behind it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will stop soon (maybe now) but I am frustrated by the way that many people actually think that MLSE would spend $100M on the Argos or TFC.

I mean that is laughable.

This is the biggest PR coup Leiweke has ever pulled

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will stop soon (maybe now) but I am frustrated by the way that many people actually think that MLSE would spend $100M on the Argos or TFC.

I mean that is laughable.

This is the biggest PR coup Leiweke has ever pulled
    Come on. "many"?

Some people believe and hope in the growth of the game and don't see every time you put up the numbers. Those very different numbers between what different sports make vs how passionate people act about them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the advances they keep making with artificial turfs I would not be totally shocked to see more stadiums move to it within the next 10 years - especially those that face grass field challenges - such as in the case of a shared stadium or with places where weather presents challenges. The new stuff in Vancouver is very real in appearance with the longer blades of grass. And even over in the UK and Europe they seem to be making more and more use of the stuff for soccer as advances are made with it.

As pointed out in this article some clubs use it for their practice fields now and some league teams in European soccer have it in their stadiums now too.

I found this to be an interesting read. http://www.theguardian.com/football/...lastic-pitches

This picture from Joe MacCarthy in the Voyageurs forum shows just how grass-like looking the new stuff in Vancouver is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TravelPat View Post
    With the advances they keep making with artificial turfs I would not be totally shocked to see more stadiums move to it within the next 10 years - especially those that face grass field challenges - such as in the case of a shared stadium or with places where weather presents challenges. The new stuff in Vancouver is very real in appearance with the longer blades of grass. And even over in the UK and Europe they seem to be making more and more use of the stuff for soccer as advances are made with it.

As pointed out in this article some clubs use it for their practice fields now and some league teams in European soccer have it in their stadiums now too.

I found this to be an interesting read. http://www.theguardian.com/football/...lastic-pitches

This picture from Joe MacCarthy in the Voyageurs forum shows just how grass-like looking the new stuff in Vancouver is.

Ok then, lets see what happens when you try to eat it.
    Not very grass like eh?

http://www.ehhi.org/turf/cancer_patterns_1114.shtml