Page 64 of 197 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114164 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,920 of 5892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do the Argos actually practice on grass up there at Downsview? Is the CFL field grass or turf?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    The claim I heard today was it was a regular hose that took the line off, they made a circle and hosed it to see if they could see it. They have power washers to further blast it out.

Having the Arogs practice at KIA, they have been playing with the tech for the past year and doing evaluations on the pitch damage.

I think it may be okay for the regular season, but playoffs if both teams qualify could get pretty messy.
    There would be only 1 week where that would be an issue, since the maximum home playoff games a team can play is one. It could be the away leg of TFC or TFC could play on Saturday, CFL Playoff on Sunday. I guess the only worry is that if the Argo's playoff game is a Sunday, can the field recover in time for an MLS playoff game the following Saturday/Sunday in November.

The other problem of course is when the Grey Cup is to be played. Typically, preparations and field access are done 4-5 days in advance. My personal opinion is that the Grey Cup should still be played at the Rogers Centre.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Do the Argos actually practice on grass up there at Downsview? Is the CFL field grass or turf?

There is one turf and one grass. They secured a new pitch from downsview for the argos to use alongside the one in the pic there.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    The claim I heard today was it was a regular hose that took the line off, they made a circle and hosed it to see if they could see it. They have power washers to further blast it out.

Having the Arogs practice at KIA, they have been playing with the tech for the past year and doing evaluations on the pitch damage.

I think it may be okay for the regular season, but playoffs if both teams qualify could get pretty messy.
    That's good, because that picture is not good. As a close-up of one line it's visible and imagine a full set of CFL lines all over the field, it looks like it would be very noticeable. From the beginning MLSE said that on a TFC game day we wouldn't even be able to tell that the Argos had ever been in the stadium and that always seemed like just another one of their empty promises. Let's hope the power washers can do a much better job than that.

And, thanks, Phil, for all the info and pictures.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/07...t-at-bmo-field

Sounds like Leiweke is distancing MLSE from Argos, or trying to appeal to TFC fans (who want Argos to have their own home) ahead of this weekend, or the writer is just stirring it up.... probably latter.
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any assurances from MLSE are utterly laughable. This organization has zero credibility so I have a hard time believing anything they say when it comes to this matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i still dont understand why they cant roll on turf for argo games..

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 23s24 seconds ago @OgtheDim Yes. Hybrid pitch will be 90% grass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sully View Post
    http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/07...t-at-bmo-field

Sounds like Leiweke is distancing MLSE from Argos, or trying to appeal to TFC fans (who want Argos to have their own home) ahead of this weekend, or the writer is just stirring it up.... probably latter.
    Good grief. What ever happened to critical thinking?

Leiweke must laugh at night how easily these people are twisted to suit his needs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Good grief. What ever happened to critical thinking?

Leiweke must laugh at night how easily these people are twisted to suit his needs.
    It works. The degree to which there are people on these boards, of all places, that are OK with this plan tells you that he is mostly succeeding in peddling these yarns to a broader audience.

The reporters can't even be bothered to do google searches ....

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...202/32338775/1
    http://www.kcconfidential.com/2013/0...es-a-bullet-3/
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You think people believe him?

I'll wait until they put in the Desso and then see.

I do believe MLSE, as a group, are sincere in not wanting TFC games to look like crap from both the stands and on TV. And, I do believe MLSE, as a group, know soccer is a bigger and better long term investment then CFL.

Apart from that.....we'll see.

I also know people who go to other MLS stadiums objectively look at BMO as it was last season and say it was in need of something to upgrade it. Lets see what happens on Sunday, with insects and the threat of rain. And then when the roof comes on and the Desso goes in and the Argos come a calling with TL no longer there, we'll see.

Grey Cup's don't make enough to cover what the soccer exhibitions can.

&

The NHL will only let them do so many outdoor games.

So, in the meantime, lets see what the 3 expensive DP's we have can do and await the oncoming apocalypse.

(Sorry, guy I work with spent last night in the hospital dealing with a family member with cancer....I'm getting tired of all the hyperbole from all sides on this. I just want to go to a game. Talk about this.....need all the viewpoints......just getting tired of it all)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we worry way too much about this stuff..its a game,i jus wanna to be entertained.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ogthedim just reminded me about my first year in the 200 level. Picked a lot of bugs out of my teeth through May. Hopefully the new upper deck crowd don't find the same experience.

This terrace, where all SGs are supposed to go. Have they told anyone about this?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys. Let me start off by saying I'm not a TFC supporter nor a Soccer fan to begin with. I'm a die hard CFL fan so my knowledge of Soccer is basically null so please don't attack me for anything I say I'm not trying be a troll I'm just uneducated on the sport and from what I gather on other forums you guys aren't that friendly to CFL fans.

Here is my solution for the CFL moving to BMO situation I want to get TFC fan veiws on it.

BMO pitch dimensions currently sits at 115 yards long however FIFA and MLS view 110-120 yards as acceptable

If MLSE were to shrink the MLS pitch down to 110 yards to match the playing surface of the CFL (minus the endzones) and shift the entire pitch 5 yards towards the north end. That way TFC keeps the grass pitch and the CFL can gain 10 yards to the south and get the remaining 10 yards it needs from retractable seating on the south end. The 5 yard Shift shouldn't impact the experience at BMO because they can easily adjust the north and south end seating to keep fans near the field. The CFL gets both 20 yard end zones in turf which lets face it is way more appealing then half turf half grass.

From a soccer fans eyes what are the downsides of my concept?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
    Hey guys. Let me start off by saying I'm not a TFC supporter nor a Soccer fan to begin with. I'm a die hard CFL fan so my knowledge of Soccer is basically null so please don't attack me for anything I say I'm not trying be a troll I'm just uneducated on the sport and from what I gather on other forums you guys aren't that friendly to CFL fans.

Here is my solution for the CFL moving to BMO situation I want to get TFC fan veiws on it.

BMO pitch dimensions currently sits at 115 yards long however FIFA and MLS view 110-120 yards as acceptable

If MLSE were to shrink the MLS pitch down to 110 yards to match the playing surface of the CFL (minus the endzones) and shift the entire pitch 5 yards towards the north end. That way TFC keeps the grass pitch and the CFL can gain 10 yards to the south and get the remaining 10 yards it needs from retractable seating on the south end. The 5 yard Shift shouldn't impact the experience at BMO because they can easily adjust the north and south end seating to keep fans near the field. The CFL gets both 20 yard end zones in turf which lets face it is way more appealing then half turf half grass.

Smaller soccer field means more "hoof ball" type of soccer game which is boring and ugly to watch. Bigger the field, the easier it will be for players to play the ball on the ground and move around the field.

BMO field will still be soccer oriented stadium due to amount of soccer games (both TFC and non-TFC games) will be played there. So CFL/Argo better get used to half turf half grass surface and end zones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Smaller soccer field means more "hoof ball" type of soccer game which is boring and ugly to watch. Bigger the field, the easier it will be for players to play the ball on the ground and move around the field.

BMO field will still be soccer oriented stadium due to amount of soccer games (both TFC and non-TFC games) will be played there. So CFL/Argo better get used to half turf half grass surface and end zones.
    or they can just go to a province or city that wants them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mook-life View Post
    or they can just go to a province or city that wants them
    They don't want them enough to give them money to build a stadium for them.

I like I said before, there's no real money to make out of Argos/CFL in Toronto. Toronto is just too multicultural and liberal (politically) for CFL where their audience tend to be "old Canadian" group (politically are more conservative) if you know what I mean. At this point, CFL/Canadian gridiron in general is niche sport that only few play at the grass root level in Toronto.,

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sickening to see how many Argo fans are joining this site to discuss about their team and lie about their support for soccer. Don't they have website of their own to discuss about their team?

I have no problems if you support Argos AND TFC, but if you're only going to talk about Argos on here, then what's point being here? This is TFC supporter forum!
    reading your posts, apparently you have a huge problem with people being both tfc and argos fans. you clearly lie in the camp that believes its one or the other which is ridiculous to no end imo. you might want to reread the title of this thread. feel free to glance over my posts if it does not fit your agenda. cheers

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
    Any assurances from MLSE are utterly laughable. This organization has zero credibility so I have a hard time believing anything they say when it comes to this matter.
    THIS!

leweike promising anything especially after he leaves is hilarious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoMetros View Post
    reading your posts, apparently you have a huge problem with people being both tfc and argos fans. you clearly lie in the camp that believes its one or the other which is ridiculous to no end imo. you might want to reread the title of this thread. feel free to glance over my posts if it does not fit your agenda. cheers
    I guess you have a problem reading here. Read my post that you have quoted again.

I have NO problem if you support Argos AND TFC, my beef is with CFL fans on here who clearly not fans of TFC or even soccer in general coming on here.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess you have a problem reading here. Read my post that you have quoted again.

I have NO problem if you support Argos AND TFC, my beef is with CFL fans on here who clearly not fans of TFC or even soccer in general coming on here.
    you clearly do have a problem with me liking both clubs/sports seeing as your post quoted a phrase that referenced my post. Ive been enjoying RPB long enough to be quite aware of your general bullying tactics towards soccer and gridiron fans. the choose one or the other mentality is ridiculous to no end akin to a 4 year old on the playground choosing friends. Again, if what I say does not fit your agenda, please ignore it. Argos are the topic of this thread so if you don't want to hear them discussed why are you reading this thread . If a person says they are fans of both clubs it ends there.

Ive yet to read someone say they are Argos only so what exactly gives you the deciding power to decide who is a real TFC fan or imposter . I mentioned the white paint removed was substancial considering only a garden hose was used, you really have a problem with this............And then I wonder why non MLS fans call me a whiney TFC fan

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you guys need to realize the Argos pull 18,000-19,000 fans per game on average. they were doing a lot better actually they were bringing in 30+ half a decade ago. And that is in the worst Stadium experience possible. I ask you to be open minded when I ask this question. Do you think if TFC started off in Roger Centre they would be the success they are today? BMO is a big reason why TFC has the passionate fan base they do today. but 18,000 fans isn't far off what TFC has been pulling in and the TV ratings for TFC vs Argos basiclly lay it out for you clear as day. People love the Argos in Toronto. Alot more than TFC, they just don't like going to RC to see them. and do you blame them and as a CFL fan I have seen a Stadium turn around a team before (Montreal). Why are TFC supporters so Ignorant to the CFL?
    Last edited by Oilkountry; 05-07-2015 at 08:11 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think the Argos actually sell out during their first season at BMO. Not a papered sell out like a lot of TFC games. Actual fans. In seats. At kick off.

And I am still of the belief that there will be no impact on the quality of the pitch. It will work.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you guys need to realize the Argos pull 18,000-19,000 fans per game on average and 5 years ago they were doing a lot better actually they were bringing in 30+ half a decade ago. And that is in the worst Stadium experience possible. I ask you to be open minded when I ask this question. Do you think if TFC started off in Roger Centre they would be the success they are today? BMO is a big reason why TFC has the passionate fan base they do today. but 18,000 fans isn't far off what TFC has been pulling in and the TV ratings for TFC vs Argos basiclly lay it out for you clear as day. People love the Argos in Toronto. Alot more than TFC, they just don't like going to RC to see them. and do you blame them and as a CFL fan I have seen a Stadium turn around a team before (Montreal). Why are TFC supporters so Ignorant to the CFL?
    I have no problem with the Argos at BMO, they can have it 9 times a yr plus playoffs, but MLS has made decent strides to improve its product and I don't want TFC to start lagging behind the league in terms of the soccer experience.

Specific Stadiums are just better, pure , plain and simple. I think the Argos experience will automatically be 10 times better being a co tenant with TFC than it was at the dome, so Argos automatically get their upswing. Will TFC get theirs?? Sure the roof and extra seats are cool but I would pass on that to keep it the old SSS it was as I was not one of those fans crying for a roof as it reeks of an EPL knockoff. I liked the stadium the way it was and are more concerned with the pitch than I am a tin roof.

I thought from the beginning that crying for the roof would be cooking our own goose as any major renovations were going to reopen the Argos to BMO scenario.

Argos will be a money maker at BMO I don't deny it. Stadium naming rights will go through the roof with their TV numbers plus 10 million per Grey Cup, but why should the TFC fan side of me care?
    Last edited by TorontoMetros; 05-07-2015 at 08:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I think the Argos actually sell out during their first season at BMO. Not a papered sell out like a lot of TFC games. Actual fans. In seats. At kick off.

And I am still of the belief that there will be no impact on the quality of the pitch. It will work.
    did you not see wembley after the pats played there....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you guys need to realize the Argos pull 18,000-19,000 fans per game on average. they were doing a lot better actually they were bringing in 30+ half a decade ago. And that is in the worst Stadium experience possible. I ask you to be open minded when I ask this question. Do you think if TFC started off in Roger Centre they would be the success they are today? BMO is a big reason why TFC has the passionate fan base they do today. but 18,000 fans isn't far off what TFC has been pulling in and the TV ratings for TFC vs Argos basiclly lay it out for you clear as day. People love the Argos in Toronto. Alot more than TFC, they just don't like going to RC to see them. and do you blame them and as a CFL fan I have seen a Stadium turn around a team before (Montreal). Why are TFC supporters so Ignorant to the CFL?
    Actually it's 10,000 fans (you know fans who actually paid to go to games)

The Argos' paid attendance ranks last in the CFL and has fallen below 10,000 per game, according to sources, with some corporate sponsors ending their association with the team

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/bell-tanenbaum-in-...nauts-1.268118

Rogers Centre gets too much criticism, but I don't hear anyone complaining when Rogers Centre host Grey Cup though.

30K average wasn't actual paid attendance. They heavily papered those numbers during those days (funny enough, Argos' owners run of out of money which CFL turn to Braley to take over Argos in the end, but since then, they couldn't find anyone interested in buying Argos from Braley)

TV ratings doesn't mean much when you end up losing money and can't find a place of your own to play.

Soccer fans are reason why TFC has passionate fanbase. BMO field is dump (worst than Rogers Centre), but it was soccer fans who created the buzz despite lack of on-field success. This is pretty well documented

Maybe you should ask yourself why CFL fans are so ignorant when comes to Toronto and their sports teams?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoMetros View Post
    I have no problem with the Argos at BMO, they can have it 9 times a yr plus playoffs, but MLS has made decent strides to improve its product and I don't want TFC to start lagging behind the league in terms of the soccer experience.

Specific Stadiums are just better, pure , plain and simple. I think the Argos experience will automatically be 10 times better being a co tenant with TFC than it was at the dome, so Argos automatically get their upswing. Will TFC get theirs?? Sure the roof and extra seats are cool but I would pass on that to keep it the old SSS it was as I was not one of those fans crying for a roof as it reeks of an EPL knockoff. I liked the stadium the way it was and are more concerned with the pitch than I am a tin roof.

I thought from the beginning that crying for the roof would be cooking our own goose as any major renovations were going to reopen the Argos to BMO scenario.

Argos will be a money maker at BMO I don't deny it. Stadium naming rights will go through the roof with their TV numbers plus 10 million per Grey Cup, but why should the TFC fan side of me care?
    get a room....jezzz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    get a room....jezzz
    Lol You read my thoughts.

These CFL trolls need to go somewhere else instead of arguing with soccer fans on here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ignore them and they'll leave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO dimensions are fine the way they are now -- i believe its 117 yds. Really no impact on the soccer pitch. You want the first 3-4 yds of endzone to be grass, so the DL is the same surface as the OL. Thats the way the twin surface field works in Moncton and was Edmonton in early 2000s, the turf endzone starts a few yards into the endzone.
    Football fans cant tell the difference until the late fall when the grass changes colour, the soccer pitch is not impacted
    Last edited by Qman; 05-07-2015 at 09:37 PM.