Page 53 of 197 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 5892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    We have every good reason to be worried about this stadium share descending into a complete shitshow.
    I get the feeling that this is your preferred outcome. If the Argos do come to BMO and the pitch and TFC game day experience are not affected, would you be okay with it then? Is it a certainty that the Argos will screw everything up? I'm afraid nobody can answer that question until we get a season of shared occupancy. At which point this handwringing may be all for nothing, or you will be justified in leading a chorus of "I told you so"s. I can't let myself get stressed out over something I have no control over. Then again, I don't live in Toronto anymore so my opinion is probably moot.

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Ottawa's gussied-up old stadium looks fine in some areas but underneath the main stand sits a hockey arena in such poor physical shape that parts of it have been condemned. Fans have stayed away in droves from junior hockey games. In a city where the CFL has gone bankrupt twice, news emerges that season ticket sales have declined by thousands after the first season.
    The south side stand is completely new and hasn't exhibited any problems. Yet.
    The project completely gutted and refurbished the arena portion of the North side, fixing all the leaks and the ceiling along with a state of the art video board and adding retail space where the north side wall used to be. It's worked well over the winter for OHL '67 games, so far.
    Give it 3 years and then we'll see how well the workmanship was, but there was a lot of project management making sure that everything was done to code.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I recognize and respect your commitment to the team, CB.

I am only stressing that AFTER the players, what's most important is the pitch you watch them run round on. The rest is noise.
    I can guarantee everyone on here that if a similar situation happened to any European team the fans would cry bloody murder. It's not a matter of what's most important, the players or the stadium, it's all the same. It's our club. Not sure why we can't pay attention to players, stadium, etc. at the same time. It's hardly a full-time job.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I can guarantee everyone on here that if a similar situation happened to any European team the fans would cry bloody murder. It's not a matter of what's most important, the players or the stadium, it's all the same. It's our club. Not sure why we can't pay attention to players, stadium, etc. at the same time. It's hardly a full-time job.
    The problem that I am having is that we are crying bloody murder and no one wants to actually tackle it beyond rhetoric. The true power players brokering this deal are doing it in a vacuum knowing our issues while giving us lip service on how nothing will change (yet we know the risk is extremely high that it will negatively affect the surface in some manner). If that surface is anywhere less than ideal due to CFL usage you can paint all the TFC logos on the walls you want, but that is unacceptable.

Its what is frustrating about this whole process, big time politicians and owners making decisions outside of the steak-holders they value so much when it comes to our renewals and buying power.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recognize and respect your commitment to the team, CB.

I am only stressing that AFTER the players, what's most important is the pitch you watch them run round on. The rest is noise.
    I agree, we will get a real preview if the pitch can hold up to a beating this summer with a few full days of PanAm Games Rugby plus the a true test will come on July 29th when BMO hosts a round of the Pacific Nations Cup with a triple header of rugby over the day. Will be interesting to see the effects.

http://rugbyontario.com/AboutUs/News...abid/15402/sni[20577]/4551/language/en-US/Default.aspx

ROUND 3 - Wednesday, July 29

USA vs Tonga at BMO Field - Toronto, ON, Canada
    Fiji vs Japan at BMO Field - Toronto, ON, Canada
    Canada vs Samoa at BMO Field - Toronto, ON, Canada

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post

big time politicians and owners making decisions outside of the steak-holders they value so much
    Phil airs a beef
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not ignorant but rude. The emoji helps but really its an opportunity to cure actual ignorance.

As hinted above your experience of shared stadium enjoyment is exactly what we'd like to get past. I'm glad you enjoy all the sports but as you can see our concerns are not without reason. We'd love to watch games with more people that understand or appreciate the quality of what they are watching (Insert struggling performance joke here).

Your phrasing alone is indicative of what I fear is the majority of sports fans in this area. That we footy supporters should appreciate the attention and possible conversion of gridiron fans.

Not at the expense of the quality of the surface they actually play the game on.

This concentration on what a beautiful stadium it will be is an unnecessary distraction from the action on the pitch. It makes so little sense to me that a pretty stadium will coerce anyone to watch something they wouldn't normally on a weekly basis but all are welcome. Just know that we're going to talk about what the pretty stadium cost to the quality of the game.

Perfect response

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We deserve steak.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I agree, we will get a real preview if the pitch can hold up to a beating this summer with a few full days of PanAm Games Rugby plus the a true test will come on July 29th when BMO hosts a round of the Pacific Nations Cup with a triple header of rugby over the day. Will be interesting to see the effects.

http://rugbyontario.com/AboutUs/News...abid/15402/sni[20577]/4551/language/en-US/Default.aspx

ROUND 3 - Wednesday, July 29

USA vs Tonga at BMO Field - Toronto, ON, Canada
    Fiji vs Japan at BMO Field - Toronto, ON, Canada
    Canada vs Samoa at BMO Field - Toronto, ON, Canada
    No CB.

The surface they are using presently will not be the surface they propose to use next year. This year is natural grass next year is desso grassmaster.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

days till a possible announcement.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No CB.

The surface they are using presently will not be the surface they propose to use next year. This year is natural grass next year is desso grassmaster.
    That is true forgot that fact, well after seeing desso grassmaster at Wembley last fall for England's Euro qualifer vs. Slovenia a week after the Cowboys Jaguars played there I have my doubts of how it will holdup and look. If the fricken FA allowed a European qualifier to be played on a pitch in the state it was, I have no confidence it would be any different here in Toronto.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is true forgot that fact, well after seeing desso grassmaster at Wembley last fall for England's Euro qualifer vs. Slovenia a week after the Cowboys Jaguars played there I have my doubts of how it will holdup and look. If the fricken FA allowed a European qualifier to be played on a pitch in the state it was, I have no confidence it would be any different here in Toronto.
    Now remember that and think of how MLSE and the politicians are telling us TFC is the primary tenant and our experience won't be affected. What we have already seen doesn't seem to fill me with any confidence that its true. At the very least we will probably see ghost lines (I guess I could get by that pretty fast) but if the ball doesn't roll on that surface properly then there is a big issue.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Now remember that and think of how MLSE and the politicians are telling us TFC is the primary tenant and our experience won't be affected. What we have already seen doesn't seem to fill me with any confidence that its true. At the very least we will probably see ghost lines (I guess I could get by that pretty fast) but if the ball doesn't roll on that surface properly then there is a big issue.
    Phil, the pitch in London was a joke, a mess with lines, numbers and logos all over it for of all things a UEFA Euro qualifier. If the esteemed FA can not get get it right, do we really believe MLSE will? He is an read about it.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...admits-4639115

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also the person telling us it will be a "soccer first stadium" is the current pres, who just so happens to have 1.5 feet out the door. The new person could very well decide that we are mutual tenants or that we are an after thought.

Once this is done we have no way of going back, no out for if/when it doesn't work well. They are gambling with something we hold sacred and that isn't a risk I want them to take.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Also the person telling us it will be a "soccer first stadium" is the current pres, who just so happens to have 1.5 feet out the door. The new person could very well decide that we are mutual tenants or that we are an after thought.

Once this is done we have no way of going back, no out for if/when it doesn't work well. They are gambling with something we hold sacred and that isn't a risk I want them to take.
    With TL heading out the door and the Bell/Larry teaming up, I would expect nothing less of them being equals at the stadium, even with Rogers kicking and screaming in the board room and beyond. It is simply reality of where it appears this deal is heading.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, which isn't much, Tory was also singing the "Soccer first stadium" line the other week. Not that I think the city really has much say in all this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With TL heading out the door and the Bell/Larry teaming up, I would expect nothing less of them being equals at the stadium, even with Rogers kicking and screaming in the board room and beyond. It is simply reality of where it appears this deal is heading.
    If the field looks like this.... Dio Mio... You can't play soccer on this. Its horrendous.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post

Mutual tenants might be the very best we can hope for, long after Lieweke moves someplace warm in the U.S. and the conglomerate known as Bellenbaum buys the Argos and puts in their own money to make BMO Field more CFL friendly. And that might not be good for us.

The actual scenario may be worse for us.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding sheduling, if TFC preserves Saturdays as the traditional day for home games and the Argos slot in on Sundays for their home games, that should give the pitch plenty of time to recover, and would give both clubs favorable home dates throughout their respective schedules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Regarding sheduling, if TFC preserves Saturdays as the traditional day for home games and the Argos slot in on Sundays for their home games, that should give the pitch plenty of time to recover, and would give both clubs favorable home dates throughout their respective schedules.
    you know what that's a really good point.
    I'm no expert on grass maintenance, but this makes sense and might make it a pretty seamless transition.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still don't see why Rogers doesn't just twist the knife here, and say no. I really don't.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I still don't see why Rogers doesn't just twist the knife here, and say no. I really don't.
    If Bell and Larry partner up they have the votes to do whatever they want I assume. Early on Bell and Rogers initially agreed to vote as block but it appears that has gone out the window based on everything regarding there less than cozy relationship regarding this MLSE partnership. The cracks are there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From all accounts recently, that appears to be exactly what they are doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Bell and Larry partner up they have the votes to do whatever they want I assume. Early on Bell and Rogers initially agreed to vote as block but it appears that has gone out the window based on everything regarding there less than cozy relationship regarding this MLSE partnership. The cracks are there.
    i fear this may be the beginning of many disagreements about MLSE, we all knew it was coming. Just didnt think it would be over the Argos, which is a drop in the bucket financially

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they stop this, think maybe that south end name should be the Ted Rogers stand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone name ONE benefit that TFC gets if the Argos move in?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
    Why are TFC fans upset?
    BMO was Canada’s first soccer-specific stadium, and home to the national soccer team, as well as Toronto FC. In 2010, natural grass was installed. Supporters of Toronto FC argue that by sharing the field with the Argos, the field will be destroyed by the football team.
    Unfrequently asked question:

Does their argument have merit?

I would've chose another term suspect or believe. These terms need answers. Argue leads to a difference of opinion that needs no answer.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 04-29-2015 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they stop this, think maybe that south end name should be the Ted Rogers stand.
    If Bell want this and Rogers stops it, what will Cope do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    i fear this may be the beginning of many disagreements about MLSE, we all knew it was coming. Just didnt think it would be over the Argos, which is a drop in the bucket financially
    The shot across the bows was when Rogers secured the national NHL broadcast rights package.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    Can someone name ONE benefit that TFC gets if the Argos move in?
    We move from existential threat to working out the reality.