Page 5 of 197 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Well, Gillette stadium is hosting Gold Cup games.

Throw enough money at a player and they get enticed? Dempsey and Martins may not be top tier player, but Seattle has other things going for them to make it attractive
    But aren't they putting real grass top of their fake turf like they have in the past?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    To be fair, Seattle didn't get a game for years, even with FIFA designating their surface as FIFA grade. And when did they last play in Portland or NER?
    Yanks played a Gold Cup game in Portland in 2013.
    Yanks are playing a Gold Cup game in Foxboro this summer.

Brazil played Portugal in Foxboro in 2013 and Portugal are playing Mexico there in June.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

Brazil played Portugal in Foxboro in 2013 and Portugal are playing Mexico there in June.
    But they're putting grass for those games though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

were some of those games on temp grass surfaces?

the canmnt doesnt want to playon turf. Thats been made clear

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    There could be a few 3 day turnarounds, probably for cup games. But I think you're overestimating how crowded the schedule will be.

Argos play 9-10 games mid-June to mid-November. That's 20 weeks. This year TFC has 14 games in that span, a little higher than normal due to the reno. Add in 2-3 playoff games (I know...), 2 VCup, and 2 CCL.

MLS schedule comes out first so we get priority for all dates. CFL commissioner has said he's willing to work with TFC on scheduling.

They could do TFC Friday/Sat, Argo Sun/Mon to allow for five day turnarounds. Schedule VCup, CCL, and friendlies on weeks Argos are away (which will be 10 weeks of the time frame I stated).

Really shouldn't be too hard to maintain a minimum 5 day turnaround after Argos games. I imagine we'll get more home games before mid-June too.
    CFL Teams are required to submit a list of dates available home dates for next season to the league commissioner by September. The Commissioners office is to distribute a draft schedule to the teams for comments by October 15th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, Seattle didn't get a game for years, even with FIFA designating their surface as FIFA grade. And when did they last play in Portland or NER?

And, can anybody have seen Kaka or Defoe or Gerrard or Lampard going to a turf team?

A local CFL operation doesn't even compare to the money TFC gets from one international friendly. The CFL's growth potential is nowhere near as good as soccer. (Yes, Mulder, we've had this argument before but CIS attendance does not count as CFL interest). MLS has the potential to be a BIG revenue generator. Nobody, but Nobody is talking about huge future growth in revenues for the CFL. They are for MLS.

If MLSE want to spend $3- 5 million on a pitch that undercuts the future for the sake of an operational money loser, then they are far more stupid then they have been up until now.

Shh, they're still negotiating the CBA....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by king10 View Post
    right of the City/Board to use the stadium for a significant part of any available dates annually on a cost recovery basis only for the City, CNE, World's Fair and Olympics (subject to use for regularly scheduled major league soccer games and FIFA games) and for other public events; http://ottawa.ca/cal...Main Report.pdf

not to mention the lease agreement w the argos can be drawn up so they are behind the csa in priority
    I appreciate the quote and the link (I got it saved for full perusal throughout this process now thanks!)

but this doesn't exactly put me at ease since this could all be renegotiated, no?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I would greatly appreciate that. It would be a big step towards this Argos talk. Except for the schedule still being to crammed to avoid the fall in quality of the pitch...

Check out the previous page. I posted a portion of the lease agreement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    But they're putting grass for those games though.
    So?

The question was when did those venues last host the USMNT and International Friendlies.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    CFL Teams are required to submit a list of dates available home dates for next season to the league commissioner by September. The Commissioners office is to distribute a draft schedule to the teams for comments by October 15th.
    Um. This goes way against what I was getting thus far.

CFL sched is submitted before MLS or Vcup or friendlies are decided then? That sounds challenging.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate the quote and the link (I got it saved for full perusal throughout this process now thanks!)

but this doesn't exactly put me at ease since this could all be renegotiated, no?
    there you are. Yes of course it could be. But im sure the csa and mlse will be at the negotiating table. They are primary tennants. If the argos dont want to be third priority too bad they have nowhere else to turn. Plus the cfl has said they would be willing to work with soccer on scheduling. 30 soccer games to work around is better than 81 jays games. The argos would be stupid not to accept tfc and csas terms

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So?

The question was when did those venues last host the USMNT and International Friendlies.

But ppl said mlse would switch to turf to save cost. Installing temp grass surfaces to attract friendlies and NT games isnt saving costs

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another note, a lot of the issue with gridiron usage at Houston and Chicago is mandated local use, mostly by high school football teams.

I give it 1 season of Argo usage until there is a push to have the Metro Bowl at BMO instead of the Dome.

So, add 1 game per year to that list of gridiron games.

I give it 3 seasons until a Vanier Cup comes to call.

And, don't forget, Braley has 3 more Grey Cups he can cash in on - he'd love a Vanier Cup/Grey Cup double weekend - wouldn't that be wonderful if we are in the playoffs at that time.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CFL sched is submitted before MLS or Vcup or friendlies are decided then? That sounds challenging.
    argos were always scheduling around the jays. Wasnt a problem then. Cfl would know they have to schedule around soccer. The outgoing commisioner accepted that

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another note, a lot of the issue with gridiron usage at Houston and Chicago is mandated local use, mostly by high school football teams.

I give it 1 season of Argo usage until there is a push to have the Metro Bowl at BMO instead of the Dome.

So, add 1 game per year to that list of gridiron games.

I give it 3 seasons until a Vanier Cup comes to call.

And, don't forget, Braley has 3 more Grey Cups he can cash in on - he'd love a Vanier Cup/Grey Cup double weekend - wouldn't that be wonderful if we are in the playoffs at that time.

Ofsaa bowl games were at centennial stadium last yr. ron joyce stadium at mac this year.

And vanier cup would be last week of november so unless tfc was hosting the mls cup it wouldnt affect the field.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ofsaa bowl games were at centennial stadium last yr. ron joyce stadium at mac this year.

And vanier cup would be last week of november so unless tfc was hosting the mls cup it wouldnt affect the field.

And of course they can just bid on hosting the events in different years

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there you are. Yes of course it could be. But im sure the csa and mlse will be at the negotiating table. They are primary tennants. If the argos dont want to be third priority too bad they have nowhere else to turn. Plus the cfl has said they would be willing to work with soccer on scheduling. 30 soccer games to work around is better than 81 jays games. The argos would be stupid not to accept tfc and csas terms
    Again with the "stupid"

You presume a lot in this situation, k.

The Argos have fell out of deals over less. And I wouldn't call them "stupid" for it. Simply misguided.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I question anyone's commitment to support or follow TFC if they at all think that the argos moving to bmo is a good thing, as a TFC supporter our only commitment should be for what is best for TFC period. Full stop.

I consider myself a man of principal, as such, if the argos to bmo happens I personally will never watch or support TFC again. Because it will mean a complete lack of commitment by ownership to protect the interest of the club and professional soccer in my opionion.

This does not have to happen, and if it does I'm out.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again with the "stupid"

The Argos have fell out of deals over less. And I wouldn't call them "stupid" for it. Simply misguided.
    well if theyre stupid enough to not accept the terms then they wouldnt be playing at bmo and there would ne no issue

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's right in the CFL constitution.

http://media.cfldb.ca/documents/appe...nstitution.pdf

(b) Not later than September 1 in the calendar year preceding the schedule year each MemberClub shall inform the Commissioner which dates, if any, are not available for a game in its homestadium, and shall further advise which dates are most preferred for its home games.(c) The Commissioner shall prepare, or cause to be prepared not later than October 15, a draftschedule of games to be played by each Member Club and shall distribute a copy of the totalschedule to each Member Club for its comments.

I have no idea when MLS or VCup schedules are decided, or at least the drafts. If a Draft schedule is complete for the CFL 4 months before the actual release. I'd imagine it should be something similar for MLS as they have to fit in more games with more teams.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kshep View Post
    I question anyone's commitment to support or follow TFC if they at all think that the argos moving to bmo is a good thing, as a TFC supporter our only commitment should be for what is best for TFC period. Full stop.

I consider myself a man of principal, as such, if the argos to bmo happens I personally will never watch or support TFC again. Because it will mean a complete lack of commitment by ownership to protect the interest of the club and professional soccer in my opionion.

dont think its a good thing. Only a sensible thing given the options. Im a huge canmnt and tfc supporter as well as the cfl. They arent mutually exclusive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

argos were always scheduling around the jays. Wasnt a problem then. Cfl would know they have to schedule around soccer. The outgoing commisioner accepted that
    Doesn't mean the new commissioner has too though, different man, different opinions, different aganda.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't mean the new commissioner has too though, different man, different opinions, different aganda.

Well if thats the case the argos wont be at bmo because mlse wont agree to any terms where soccer isnt first.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question away but not here.

Everyone is entitled to support the way they want. You are free to attend or abstain or protest in a way you see fit but there is no need to call out other people's dedication to this club.

It won't be tolerated. Please refrain from this line of attack again.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again with the "stupid"

But they always had the Dome to fall back on in those situations.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well if theyre stupid enough to not accept the terms then they wouldnt be playing at bmo and there would ne no issue
    harsh.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.And vanier cup would be last week of november so unless tfc was hosting the mls cup it wouldnt affect the field.
    Conference final second legs were the last week of November.

And there is talk of the Cup Final being played up until Dec 14.

(Don't get me started on what is going to happen when WC 2022 happens in Nov Dec)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

harsh.

Sorry i dont mean to be harsh towards you. I mean tfc has to show the argos whose boss in negotations. Give them a take it or leave it offer regarding scheduling priority. Tfc and the csa has the leverage. Argos arent really in a bargaining position. They have no stadium to fall back on.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    It's right in the CFL constitution.

http://media.cfldb.ca/documents/appe...nstitution.pdf

(b) Not later than September 1 in the calendar year preceding the schedule year each MemberClub shall inform the Commissioner which dates, if any, are not available for a game in its homestadium, and shall further advise which dates are most preferred for its home games.(c) The Commissioner shall prepare, or cause to be prepared not later than October 15, a draftschedule of games to be played by each Member Club and shall distribute a copy of the totalschedule to each Member Club for its comments.

I have no idea when MLS or VCup schedules are decided, or at least the drafts. If a Draft schedule is complete for the CFL 4 months before the actual release. I'd imagine it should be something similar for MLS as they have to fit in more games with more teams.
    Oh, M, I wasn't doubting your authority on CFL scheduling I was referring to the scheds you don't follow (like myself, I don't know how early they need to decide either). With the little notice we get here following Vcup and friendlies it has to be a challenge adding another schedule to the mix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont think its a good thing. Only a sensible thing given the options. Im a huge canmnt and tfc supporter as well as the cfl. They arent mutually exclusive.
    Might not be, but your a pointy ball fan which I happen to think is one of the most boring pro sports in the world, you have a divested interest in seeing the argos at bmo, I don't. Which means I reserve the right to think the argos to bmo is the biggest bunch of bullshit in the world, as a soccer supporter and a MLS TFC first soccer supporter( I've stopped watching other soccer for the most part and only watch MLS exclusively outside of champions league/euro cup) I am completely enraged that this might happen, to the point that I would walk away and start following and supporting another MLS side that places soccer as its first priority.