RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    Countdown timer...

http://is.gd/jMVCOV

Less then a million seconds to get er done Braley. Or your price to sell goes down.

Gotta hand it to MLSE - they maneuvered this real well. Going to get 3 out of the next 8 of the most profitable thing in CFL land while possibly not having to operate the Argos (letting Larry T take that bath).

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by king10 View Post
    Thats a double edged sword. Rogers could also say to Bell, no more investing hundreds of millions on players for TFC because we don't own the majority of the broadcasting rights.

Be careful what you wish for in this dysfunctional marriage.
    I make money in matters related to MLSE. What they do or don't do with TFC won't affect that in the least.

I enjoy soccer and, win or lose, have thoroughly enjoyed everything about TFC's existence. I would have been perfectly content to see the stadium remain as it was and not have to deal with this Argo fiasco.

As for the broadcast rights thing, TSN are doing an inadequate job with their coverage of MLS. It looks and feels like a begrudging relationship, one that they know is steadily working - commercially, and in the media - against their prime sports property, the CFL. You don't see them provide the slightest support programming the way they do for the CFL. They show a game and bang - straight into some highlight reel package of 50 great hits or similar shit. They piss off NASCAR fans the same way.

This is a network facing a long hard struggle to stay viable over the next decade and they don't look like they have a clue how to cope with the loss of their hockey deal. They aren't doing a lot right now to promote the growth of soccer which will soon prove to be a more valuable property than football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Read that and I thought it was just Grimes thinking off the top of his head - he's not good at that.

The 10 day deadline is for the endzone and dressing room changes to be ready for 2016. Not being ready for 2016 doesn't mean the Argos are in trouble. If its not done for 2016, this only means more money has to be spent and has to be done for 2017.

i.e. This is MLSE putting the squeeze on Braley. Nice job by TL for his bosses, actually. Attempting to force Braley's hand.
    It's a tricky relationship, though, because they also have to deal with the city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    I make money in matters related to MLSE. What they do or don't do with TFC won't affect that in the least.

I enjoy soccer and, win or lose, have thoroughly enjoyed everything about TFC's existence. I would have been perfectly content to see the stadium remain as it was and not have to deal with this Argo fiasco.

As for the broadcast rights thing, TSN are doing an inadequate job with their coverage of MLS. It looks and feels like a begrudging relationship, one that they know is steadily working - commercially, and in the media - against their prime sports property, the CFL. You don't see them provide the slightest support programming the way they do for the CFL. They show a game and bang - straight into some highlight reel package of 50 great hits or similar shit. They piss off NASCAR fans the same way.

This is a network facing a long hard struggle to stay viable over the next decade and they don't look like they have a clue how to cope with the loss of their hockey deal. They aren't doing a lot right now to promote the growth of soccer which will soon prove to be a more valuable property than football.
    That's because the CFL is Canadian content and MLS isn't. Once TSN is no longer required to carry CanCon all this will change and they'll just broadcast whatever ESPN produces - exactly like CTV and dramas. Once unbundling happens many of the Canadian networks will fold and most CanCon will get dropped (too expensive to produce). As long a US network is carrying MLS we'll get those games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curling and CFL makes TSN and Sportsnet more money then they will make showing truck racing, darts or whatever else ESPN happens to have on at the time.

From north of Barrie out to Vancouver Island, people watch those sports in huge numbers.

CFL and curling support is not about Can-con.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They aren't doing a lot right now to promote the growth of soccer which will soon prove to be a more valuable property than football.
    Won't that be changing now they have snapped up the rights to pretty much every worthwhile soccer property?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hearing the Grimes Argo bias year after year gets my goat. Calling BMO Field the Argos' home after 25+ years at the Dome burns. I hope somebody knocks on his door one night and tells him they've been gone 25 years but still consider his place home.

btw I was at Grey Cup 1982 at Exhibition Stadium as the Argos played the Eskimos. The tv coverage does not fully show the cold rain that had the crowd chanting "we want a dome"....- the following Toronto hosted Grey Cup was 1989 - Ticats v Saskatchewan Riders --- at Skydome...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curling and CFL makes TSN and Sportsnet more money then they will make showing truck racing, darts or whatever else ESPN happens to have on at the time.

From north of Barrie out to Vancouver Island, people watch those sports in huge numbers.

Yes, you're right. Though it's sometimes hard to get people here to accept that the CFL actually gets good TV ratings and that that's important. Still, big changes are coming to broadcasting. If what Rogers has done with hockey it doesn't look like the production will get better, but I guess anything's possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is my nightmare for our Turf.

this rain...during the time of year.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Really? You don't think players on both sides of games at Skydome/Roger Centre haven't been moaning about the tattered quilt they've had to play on in the past?
    Of course they have. Thats why they want to bring in grass. Just in this particular instance the Orioles have taken it this far because of the reason Milanasta referred to. This is more about the rivalry between the Jays and Orioles than anything else.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta hand it to MLSE - they maneuvered this real well. Going to get 3 out of the next 8 of the most profitable thing in CFL land while possibly not having to operate the Argos (letting Larry T take that bath).
    The only thing MLSE does well. Make money. Lots and lots of it.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Won't that be changing now they have snapped up the rights to pretty much every worthwhile soccer property?
    No time like the present.

Of course, the biggest problem for TSN is that, by promoting MLS soccer, they're helping to hype a soccer team in the biggest Canadian marketplaces (Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver) and that further erodes the available marketing support and media presence for the CFL because they largely share the same season.

That problem didn't exist a few years back when they could go full throttle on the CFL.

I'm glad to see Kristian Jack get proper air time and Jason De Vos continue in this productive program of anger management. :-)
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 04-24-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An aging audience of retirees, hosers and house-bound farmers.

The changing demographics of Toronto reflect the biggest challenges to maintaining that audience long term. I do business with bright, progressive marketing people who are thrilled with what they see in soccer, basketball and even baseball but haven't got the merest hope that the Argos are going to make a turnaround.

There's nothing in their market research that says there's a groundswell of support ready to rise up, the way they spotted basketball trending upward a decade back or soccer two decades back.

Also, the fact that most NFL teams have an unofficial 'shadow squad' of non-roster players who get paid a competitive enough wage to hang around in case of injuries, keeps capable talent away from Canada. Import talent, mind you. It's not like the Canadian talent base is growing with high schools abandoning football programs in favour of rugby, lacrosse, and cricket.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 04-24-2015 at 01:10 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by king10 View Post
    Of course they have. Thats why they want to bring in grass. Just in this particular instance the Orioles have taken it this far because of the reason Milanasta referred to. This is more about the rivalry between the Jays and Orioles than anything else.
    So every OTHER time the players complain I have a point. Just this time its about RIVALRY.

It doesn't change the fact the surface has been crap and worthy of complaint.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have been perfectly content to see the stadium remain as it was and not have to deal with this Argo fiasco.
    norf I wish I took a picture of Lieweke's face when I said very much the same thing to him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An aging audience of retirees, hosers and house-bound farmers.

I've been hearing that since the mid 80's. Ur wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    It doesn't change the fact the surface has been crap and worthy of complaint.
    It's only been down for 3 weeks - of course it's crap

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    It's only been down for 3 weeks - of course it's crap
    Sorry Gab, we were talking the surface over the whole of the Dome being open since 89. It changed over the years but if one was to average what players thought of playing on the surface its been pretty consistently bad.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    this is my nightmare for our Turf.

this rain...during the time of year.

And the outstanding player being awarded a glamorous "Chevrolet Celebrity four-door sedan...".

I don't miss, for one second, Deadly Dull Don Whitman.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK. So the kids of Owen Sound dig the rouge. The kids of West Hill couldn't name five franchises.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, and the Quebec market may be more what Ontario will look like soon - the resurgence of university football in Quebec (or really, the first surge of it) is also a big part of why the Als are doing well. It was a little easier for them because there was never talk of the NFL coming to Montreal but now that that talk is over for the foreseeable future here this market may look more like Quebec. So, probably some Vanier Cups at BMO, too. (I really wish Toronto would get a proper football stadium).

As for TSN or Sportsnet promoting soccer, they don't promote anything, no Canadian network does (possibly I'm still bitter from working on a show CTV cancelled after one season without promoting). They just get a monopoly on the rights so any market there is has to buy it from them. This is why CTV loves the NFL so much, they can just ride on all the promotion that gets done in the US. If an American network really starts to promote MLS then they'll ride on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Yes, and the Quebec market may be more what Ontario will look like soon - the resurgence of university football in Quebec (or really, the first surge of it) is also a big part of why the Als are doing well. It was a little easier for them because there was never talk of the NFL coming to Montreal but now that that talk is over for the foreseeable future here this market may look more like Quebec. So, probably some Vanier Cups at BMO, too. (I really wish Toronto would get a proper football stadium).

As for TSN or Sportsnet promoting soccer, they don't promote anything, no Canadian network does (possibly I'm still bitter from working on a show CTV cancelled after one season without promoting). They just get a monopoly on the rights so any market there is has to buy it from them. This is why CTV loves the NFL so much, they can just ride on all the promotion that gets done in the US. If an American network really starts to promote MLS then they'll ride on that.
    This is so true.

Canada rely on Americans so much that it's sickening at times.

Too bad Canadian government doesn't have backbone to loosen up laws to encourage foreigner companies to invest in Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    This is so true.

Canada rely on Americans so much that it's sickening at times.

Too bad Canadian government doesn't have backbone to loosen up laws to encourage foreigner companies to invest in Canada.
    Wouldn't that just make us even more American? (we always say "foreign, but it's always American).

I just wish Canadian companies would do more with the market we protect for them.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK. So the kids of Owen Sound dig the rouge. The kids of West Hill couldn't name five franchises.
    Ur missing the point.

a) your stereotype of who watches CFL and curling is about as correct as the soccer hooligan thing that occasionally comes out of some people's mouths when talking about the South End

b) Toronto is not a big enough market on its own to drive TSN or Sportsnet to do anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't that just make us even more American? (we always say "foreign, but it's always American).

I just wish Canadian companies would do more with the market we protect for them.
    No, since not everyone wants American content in this country.

Canadian content restriction is hurting Canadians and value they get from paying cable and other media outlet companies while rest of world enjoy more freedom to choose what they want to see while paying less.

Netflix is perfect example how much Canadian laws is affecting quality of their service in this country. Canadian Netflix customers don't get no where near same value than American Netflix users both in terms of content and quality of stream (due to data limits that Canadian telecommunication companies have which make it costly for Canadians to enjoy online services like Netflix in HD which takes up a lot more data than SD stream).

Canada is so backwards and far behind rest of world when comes to media and mobile services.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    No, since not everyone wants American content in this country.

Canadian content restriction is hurting Canadians and value they get from paying cable and other media outlet companies while rest of world enjoy more freedom to choose what they want to see while paying less.

Netflix is perfect example how much Canadian laws is affecting quality of their service in this country. Canadian Netflix customers don't get no where near same value than American Netflix users both in terms of content and quality of stream (due to data limits that Canadian telecommunication companies have which make it costly for Canadians to enjoy online services like Netflix in HD which takes up a lot more data than SD stream).

Canada is so backwards and far behind rest of world when comes to media and mobile services.
    No, the reason Canadian Netflix customers don't get all the content is because the rights to that content is owned by Canadian companies (almost all of it by Bell and Rogers and a little by Shaw) and they have chosen not to sell the programming to Netflix. That's why they've started Crave and Shomi, as an outlet for the content they own the rights to. All the government does is enforce the law that says only a Canadian company gets to buy the rights to that content in Canada.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ur missing the point.

a) your stereotype of who watches CFL and curling is about as correct as the soccer hooligan thing that occasionally comes out of some people's mouths when talking about the South End

b) Toronto is not a big enough market on its own to drive TSN or Sportsnet to do anything
    I live, work and play within the heart of Toronto and get a good feel for what people think via wide-ranging work and personal contacts and a broad, extended family that bring all manner of people into our household. The CFL is an absolute non-entity. Not once has anyone ever initiated a discussion in my presence about it since at least the turn of the century. Probably longer.

Re: b) - But without a presence within it, the CFL utterly dies. That seems to be driving a lot of things forward.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as much as i don't want the argos at BMO.

The CFL should use it as an opportunity.
    have the Argos go out to Halifax for 2 years...see what happens.
    the Argos continue as the longest running CFL team.
    they learn if the maritimes can support a CFL team.
    we see if not being in toronto causes much of an issue.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, the reason Canadian Netflix customers don't get all the content is because the rights to that content is owned by Canadian companies (almost all of it by Bell and Rogers and a little by Shaw) and they have chosen not to sell the programming to Netflix. That's why they've started Crave and Shomi, as an outlet for the content they own the rights to. All the government does is enforce the law that says only a Canadian company gets to buy the rights to that content in Canada.
    Sidebar - Netflix has quietly revamped their business model and producing their own content, and lots of it. They spent 1.5 billion on their own content and did this because of increasing competition in the US. IMO a likely side effect will be the ultimate demise of Crave and Shomi. Which really offer me nothing I can't get elsewhere for cheaper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Sidebar - Netflix has quietly revamped their business model and producing their own content, and lots of it. They spent 1.5 billion on their own content and did this because of increasing competition in the US. IMO a likely side effect will be the ultimate demise of Crave and Shomi. Which really offer me nothing I can't get elsewhere for cheaper
    In my business Netflix hasn't been quiet . Amazon studios, HBO Now, Hulu originals - it's all about eliminating the middle-man, the cable companies, and selling the product directly to the consumers. Which makes a lot of sense.