Page 23 of 197 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larson is doing some good tweeting. Can't wait till the 590 interview is posted I missed it earlier.

Kurtis Larson@KurtLarSUN 2m2 minutes ago
    Why aren't Argos fans outraged they are mere renters a century into their existence? Satisfied with renting a soccer facility?

Kurtis LarsonVerified account‏@KurtLarSUN

It's crucial MLSE stays true to what it told me last year: "You won't even know the CFL plays here". (2/3)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    its Official name is The National Soccer Stadium, it's BMO because of the naming rights.
    yes that still doesn't change the fact the national team has played there 19 times in 8 years. u20s womens and MNT.

They can call it whatever they want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by king10 View Post
    I dont know about that.

Ask all the MLB baseball players if they'd rather play on Rogers Centre Turf or grass (Melky Cabrera).

Ask Michael Saunders about how quality of the pitch (and positioning of sprinkler heads) means to him.
    Who? It's baseball. So the ball will skip faster and the players can slide longer. In terms of the game itself being negatively affected I think it's pretty clear that a game which involves continuous passing on the ground requires a better surface than a game that is most played with a ball in the air.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Who? It's baseball. So the ball will skip faster and the players can slide longer. In terms of the game itself being negatively affected I think it's pretty clear that a game which involves continuous passing on the ground requires a better surface than a game that is most played with a ball in the air.
    Melky Cabrera ex blue jay Left Fielder.

Canadian Michael Saunders Blue jays free agent signee.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    Larson is doing some good tweeting. Can't wait till the 590 interview is posted I missed it earlier.

Kurtis Larson@KurtLarSUN 2m2 minutes ago
    Why aren't Argos fans outraged they are mere renters a century into their existence? Satisfied with renting a soccer facility?

Kurtis LarsonVerified account‏@KurtLarSUN

It's crucial MLSE stays true to what it told me last year: "You won't even know the CFL plays here". (2/3)
    Well I can hazard a guess that Argo fans aren't outraged because it's either this deal or the team folds....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why doesn't MLSE put on a town meeting if they are so confident we won't notice the CFL even plays here? Answer our concerns with a display of the new technology that is available and make a public display of their confidence. Oh yea... asking too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I can hazard a guess that Argo fans aren't outraged because it's either this deal or the team folds....
    Maybe they should rethink where they stand. The market is telling them something. 100 year old franchise can't even find a home of their own. If the argos are so valuable to the CFL then seek a bailout their.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Wigan isn't hybrid
    The exchange was about Hull.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    Why doesn't MLSE put on a town meeting if they are so confident we won't notice the CFL even plays here? ....
    Did you see the RBNY town meeting? Ugly ugly guly.

That and nobody but TL has been that confident.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Did you see the RBNY town meeting? Ugly ugly guly.

That and nobody but TL has been that confident.
    I know it will never happen. Also means in my opinion they are full of shit. Our game-day experience will be worse off. To what degree we won't know till we are in a mess. How will they defend poor field quality when it happens? Maybe some people are correct, if we have a winning team will it even matter?

It just a big FU to the soccer faithful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You called it the "unofficial name". It isn't, it's the official name. And the Official purpose. It was built to be Canada's National Soccer Stadium for the U20 World Cup. MLS was a bonus so there was a legacy. And the need for a soccer specific stadium hasn't changed, why would we risk it?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argo fans sincerely believe that this move will save them, as it did the Als. (I'm not so certain of that actually)

The concept of being second fiddle doesn't phase them as they have been second fiddle to the Jays since MLB insisted on teams being first tenant and the Argo owner at the time (Harry Ornsted?) selling that right to Labatts for some beer.

The idea that the pitch will be difficult for them has no context for them as maybe about 50 Argo fans are left who remember the days of Varsity and thus there is no real knowledge of a poor field.

The idea that turf is an issue for TFC is beyond their knowledge base as they always have played on turf and think soccer can too because TFC did for years.

The idea that lines are an issue for soccer means nothing to them as they never have to deal with it. They look at fields like Ivor Wynne with soccer lines on a CFL pitch and think that's ok.

They just look at Montreal and hope/believe 30K people will show up. That it might be only 18K at first is OK too.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-24-2015 at 10:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/jeff-blair-show/

Larson interview posted "Argos move at TFC expense?" Just of 6 minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The debate is just starting. We have very good points. Why settle for mediocre? The press will pay attention if we raise hell; it will only be a done deal if we let it. Call your reps, get the word out, and fight, if you believe in the cause. And if it is true that Bez, Vanney and possibly Tim L do not buy in, the press will find that out and it will help our side.
    The Argos already had $600 million spent on a stadium for them, why should they screw up the National Soccer Stadium?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good ol Jeff Blair. Something along the lines of "Due to the inability of the Argos to do their business properly other people are getting screwed and there are long range implications here"
    Last edited by pdubs; 03-24-2015 at 11:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont like this one bit.

I really dont think this is best for the argos. Im actually saddened that this is what it has come to for them.
    Last edited by C.Ronaldo; 03-24-2015 at 11:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My contribution - just sent this to my ticket rep (and have encouraged many of the guys I go to games with to do the same):

Hi Kirsten, I know this isn't something you can have change, but I was hoping that you could "pass this up the line" so to speak.Thanks

I have been a TFC SSH for a number of years, travelling from Guelph to countless home games during that time. I have travelled to Kansas, Philadelphia, Columbus, DC, Montreal and Boston all numerous times to help support this team on the road. We have organized a bus for all weekend home games from Guelph that brings 30-40 fans to every game. I am a member of the RPB and have spent hours making my own banners for section 110/1. What it comes down to is, I love this team. The people I go to games with and travel 100s of miles with love this team.

I understand that the Argos to BMO Field might be inevitable. Despite the Argos almost causing the stadium to not get built almost 10 years ago, I understand that certain economic and political realities exist and this move may still happen. And as a TFC SSH, if this move happens, and I have to look at lines on the field, or the field is regularly trashed by the CFL games, or if we need to take 10 steps back and revert to a turf field, then after years of support I am done. A losing team I can deal with. Mismanagement of the team I can deal with. Watching soccer and it's supporters treated as second class citizens to support another team? Turns out that's my final straw.

I don't hate the Argos, and wish them all the best, but not at the expense of soccer. The "National Soccer Stadium" needs to remain as such. A grass pitch you can play the ball on the ground on is absolutely essential to that.

And I know I'm just one supporter, but I know how the people on my bus feel. And I know how the people I go to games feel. And I know how many of the die-hards you use to market this team feel. And for many of us this will be the last straw.

I love TFC, but if this is how supporters are going to be treated I'm done supporting MLSE.

Thanks for your time

Ben Mathers
    SSH since 2009
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Said Ben.
    My letter was basically the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My letter echoed the very same sentiments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a season seat holder so I can't do anything regarding this. However, if you all feel this strongly (negatively) about the argo's moving in, maybe one of you could compile a list of all those SSH who are gonzo if this happens. Make it visual too by using the seat's map that is available and highlight every seat that will be vacated once the Argo's decision is made. Just a thought.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be on red card tonight talking about this subject.

No Argos at BMO.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's a shame the soccer friendly media didn't start this campaign until after the deal was "done."

When Tim L started talking about Grey Cups and buying the Argos, who did they think was coming to dinner.... The Toronto Rock?

Many in this very thread could see this writing on the wall.

MLSE took advantage of the Jays/Argos rental situation and used it as part of the financing strategy for this business venture. They snagged some government money and don't be surprised if they end up owning the Argos at some point.

The signs were on this business deal for months. Sadly, it's just a business for those involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I will be on red card tonight talking about this subject.

No Argos at BMO.
    Well my evening plans are now set.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it possible to lay turf down over grass? Kind of like the opposite of what we did for the Real Madrid friendly.

Imagine if you could just roll out a big, breathable carpet for 5 hours at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    It's a shame the soccer friendly media didn't start this campaign until after the deal was "done."

When Tim L started talking about Grey Cups and buying the Argos, who did they think was coming to dinner.... The Toronto Rock?

Many in this very thread could see this writing on the wall.

MLSE took advantage of the Jays/Argos rental situation and used it as part of the financing strategy for this business venture. They snagged some government money and don't be surprised if they end up owning the Argos at some point.

The signs were on this business deal for months. Sadly, it's just a business for those involved.

completely right.

The soccer media is in MLSE's backpocket.
    MLSE is totally using this to help fund the stadium with government funds ... plus when just when the argos move the naming rights "magically" come up for renewal. They can use the Argos large TV audience to ask for a big increase to the naming rights.
    This was planned far in advance and just business.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Just quickly googled there and the Canadian National team has played 19 games in 8 years at BMO.

1 x Mens U-20 team - 2007 World Cup
    2 x Womens U-20 team
    4 x Senior Womens team - all friendly games
    12 x Senior Mens team - 7 of those were World Cup qualifiers and 5 were friendly games.
    yes that still doesn't change the fact the national team has played there 19 times in 8 years. u20s womens and MNT.

They can call it whatever they want.
    Gab did a better job on research. Why repeat it? You can always just quote another user.

You follow the National team. You should know where the FIFA calendar falls. Even with us utilizing every date (and we're close to it now) we live in Toronto. Nobody is using the stadium outdoors in winter. Half the available dates on the FIFA calendar will be away and more than that when the weather dictates.

Compare it to other National stadiums and National teams in like latitudes. The numbers won't be so far apart.

I don't see why you'd be so dismissive about your closest soccer facility hosting National team matches.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 03-24-2015 at 12:17 PM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To those who wrote to their ticket reps.... what kind of response do you expect to get?

And when you do get a response, please share it. I bet it's basically the same thing you'd get from a cashier when complaining about the prices of rubbers, "sorry, but it's not up to me as to how much those magnums are"....hypothetically speaking. I don't think rubbers are all that expensive.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my response was just a few minutes after my email.

Firstly I hear where you’re coming from and want to confirm a couple details,

No deal has been reached or finalized with a team coming to BMO field, in the event that the ARGOs do come exact details will be provided with the effects of the decision. First and foremost BMO field will be the home to TFC and remain predominantly a soccer stadium. BMO field continues to be city –owned and facilitated but the renovations were done to enhance the soccer experience while also improving the stadiums ability to host other events. Like we have done with Rugby in the past.

If something becomes official all news will be communicated to you as a season seat holder and we will be here to answer any questions,

Thanks,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for sharing that.

Kind of what i figured their response would be. Not up to mlse when it comes down to it.

It will be a home away from home for Ticats fans when they're in town.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Thinking about this overnight

Argos to BMO is inevitable IF a deal can be done to pay for the upgrades.

Such a deal is not in place.

All this kerfuffle is over a report from a reporter who doesn't work either the soccer or the CFL beat.

Braley has denied a deal has been made.

Until i hear a legitimate source (and sorry, a tweet from the staff of Councillor Kelly isn't such a source), I for one am going to take a step back. We are no more ahead on this then we were at the time of the first report that started this thread.
    This.