Page 20 of 197 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    I just left a voice message with my ticket rep threatening to cancel my season ticket should this go through.
    It's going to happen regardless if we like it or not, but the key is going to be if they can make it work which I personally not convince it will (based on examples pointed out in this thread).

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    MLSE doesn't have to buy them for them to play at BMO. It's going to happen one way or another unfortunately.
    Yeah I don't get why people tend to assume that the Argos would have to be owned by MLSE in order to play at BMO Field. I don't think Wagner is suggesting that in his post, but others have. BMO Field is a property managed and maintained by MLSE that just for now happens to have one primary tenant - Toronto FC, which just happens to be also run by MLSE. And if they can bring in another tenant to maximum potential revenue from the property, they will likely do so.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 03-24-2015 at 05:11 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the city gets the money from a lease? Or MLSE?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Profits are split 50-50

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The City gets a cut of most of the revenue (after costs) and obviously has a portion of time set aside for community events - but I'm not sure about the complete details
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob McCowan looking for callers on this now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    It's going to happen regardless if we like it or not, but the key is going to be if they can make it work which I personally not convince it will (based on examples pointed out in this thread).
    Ya, I realize that. Nonetheless, an outpouring of opposition will end up pressuring them to putting more effort into mitigating the impact. I figure it's better than doing nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe City gets fixed amount from MLSE now. MLSE gets rest of money after they paid fixed amount to City.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Ya, I realize that. Nonetheless, an outpouring of opposition will end up pressuring them to putting more effort into mitigating the impact. I figure it's better than doing nothing.
    Best way to send a message is speak with your wallet.

I am waiting to see how MLSE sell this to fanbase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Bob McCowan looking for callers on this now
    Man - McCowan is such a bullshitter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I turned off after the blue pitch dude.

Old men yelling at clouds

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh...some dude on twitter tried to tell me that the municipal workers in Edmonton know more about doing a thorough change over from gridiron to soccer then those at Wembley.

The ignorance out there on this issue is high. People in Edmonton thinking the status of the Esks to that of FCEdmonton is the same as the Argos to TFC.

Can't wait for the first discussion on the TSN football panel about the Argos not getting first choice of dates etc.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I believe City gets fixed amount from MLSE now. MLSE gets rest of money after they paid fixed amount to City.
    Fixed %.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    the paint always bleeds through.
    even on field turf, the paint made it through the blades of plastic grass, pass the silica sand and crumb rubber.

there will be lines.
    there will be divots.

call the FO, let them know you'll seriously reconsider renewing your Season Tix if this happens.
    it's the only thing left for us to do.

even just email your ticket rep, and let them know you want your concern logged.
    Is it too late to ask for refunds for this year if this gets announced officially?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't call him concerning anything I ever cared about. He's the most dismissive guy on the radio.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidvan View Post
    Is it too late to ask for refunds for this year if this gets announced officially?
    Yes but I'm sure some people would try. They have over other changes/results, you name it.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Ugh...some dude on twitter tried to tell me that the municipal workers in Edmonton know more about doing a thorough change over from gridiron to soccer then those at Wembley.

The ignorance out there on this issue is high. People in Edmonton thinking the status of the Esks to that of FCEdmonton is the same as the Argos to TFC.

Can't wait for the first discussion on the TSN football panel about the Argos not getting first choice of dates etc.
    I can't wait to hear Argo fans whining about red seats and weather during the fall when Ti-Cats beat them in the playoffs lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That tweet was back on the 18th and more of an encouragement to the CFL commish. Kelly really wants that deal made - he's of that generation that thinks the Argos matter to people in this city still.
    there's one from today now

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kelly uses a staffer to do this stuff btw, but it is driven by his own thoughts. Thankfully they don't tweet out his former ramblings about climate change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be checking out some FCE games this year and can give you some photos of the change over. That may be better rather than just speculating that the status is unacceptable and completely different than what's there for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maximum of 10 home games (9 regular season and 1 playoff game) they play there preseason game at varsity. the schedule can work for both. Houston Dallas L.A. Chicago all have some football games played in there stadium at points in the year and all still have grass. Will not be any worse then how the field was at the beginning of last season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan1984 View Post
    Maximum of 10 home games (9 regular season and 1 playoff game) they play there preseason game at varsity. the schedule can work for both. Houston Dallas L.A. Chicago all have some football games played in there stadium at points in the year and all still have grass.
    Don't be fooled by green paint for TV. By all reports its still awful and generally a step below what we're used to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where's CSA in all this mess? Isn't this suppose to be "National Soccer Stadium"? What was the point of getting Feds involved when first funded this stadium if they're letting MLSE do whatever it wants with it.

Note: Without CSA, there will be no tax money coming from Federal government to build BMO field which was built for FIFA Under 20 World Cup and Canadian national soccer teams (both men and women).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chicago had significant issues last season due to the local burghers wanting high school football at that supposedly sss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I share the concerns with pitch quality. I share the concerns with painted ads and lines left behind. I am concerned with MLSE guiding the process. How the stands will adjust is only one area still to be properly determined.

For me though, the biggest concern is one of karma. The Argos arrive like a bad smell. No options, no profit, no money, an owner who wants out yesterday. The Argos have been a sinking ship in the GTA for decades. I am one of many who are astounded at the Ontario tv ratings for CFL and Argos. I have not overheard water cooler talk about the Argos in eons. NFL and US College = football in the GTA.
    The Argos are the ghost of Toronto sports teams and they could be said to stagger into BMO because they have no place left to go. I should pity them. I should recall the glory days and what they meant to me as a child, a teen, a young man....but if they stagger it is due to decades of self-inflicted wounds. Pull together.....ha. This is their last stop.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Yeah I don't get why people tend to assume that the Argos would have to be owned by MLSE in order to play at BMO Field. I don't think Wagner is suggesting that in his post, but others have. BMO Field is a property managed and maintained by MLSE that just for now happens to have one primary tenant - Toronto FC, which ust happens to be also run by MLSE. And if they can bring in another tenant to maximum potential revenue from the property, they will likely do so.
    The assumption is that if MLSE owned the Argos, they would have more incentive to accommodate them.

While it's true that MLSE will make some money off the Argos as tenants for 9 dates per year (plus playoffs), it's less clear whether that money is worth the tradeoff of whatever the impact is on the team they DO currently own, which has a million times the future growth potential for them, than a CFL team does.

If they don't own the team, then the Argos are just another date in the event calendar - except they're an event that requires extensive stadium retrofitting, potential damage to their expensive soccer pitch, and a compromising of the experience for the fans of the team they actually own.

I don't think the calculus is (or at least, should be) a simple "more money = good" axiom.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There were a few little things thrown out today across twitter speculating that the move of the Argos to BMO is not being met with universal cheer by TFC brass.

They will never admit it, of course. But I do remember Larson, for one, indicating that TFC brass are anxious to continue to be able to draw good players, and don't want the field to be an issue.

On another note, I don't think Braley gives 2 bits of cat dung about what happens to TFC if his team is playing at BMO. And he probably cares even less to acquiesce to MLSE beyond the contractual. Good thing MLSE has great lawyers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    my take is that no one wants to be seen as the reason the argos move or fold.

John Tory - former CFL commish, to lose the Argos on his watch...would look bad.
    MLSE - virtual monopoly on sports in Toronto, turning their back on the hard luck argos would look bad.

and expanding BMO appears to be the easiest answer. Even though it is wrong and short sighted. (soccer is booming, pointy ball in the GTA is declining, no one goes to the argos, canadian wet and cold autumn, with over usage will be murder on the turf).

One of the reasons I really think the Argos are in trouble is their pricing.

I used to be a CFL fan.
    I even had Argos Season at one time. (Before TFC existed).

during the summer, i was thinking about hitting up a game.
    I couldn't believe the prices. I could get similar or better seats to see the Detroit Lions or Buffalo Bills for equal money.

a guy at work kind of ruined the CFL for me.

he pointed out how CFL teams make a big deal when the NFL practice squad rejects become available.
    so the 4th, 5th, 6th best receivers on a NFL team, are the 1st, 2nd best receivers on a CFL team.

then with the inflated prices.
    when I can pay $60 to see Megatron play (the best on the planet).
    or I can pay $60 and see the Argos.

i believe it was the silvers, with ticketmaster fees, came to $60 all in.

i didn't want to go "blue" because i wanted to see the Jumbotron.
    and I have sat near the end zone for CFL, and you can't see anything at the other end of the field.
    so i looked at Silver/Gold.
    but like I said.
    how they can justify those prices, with that talent....
    As someone who has coached both Canadian and US football at a fairly high level, I can tell you your GUY at work as no ideal of what he is talking about

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    The assumption is that if MLSE owned the Argos, they would have more incentive to accommodate them.

While it's true that MLSE will make some money off the Argos as tenants for 9 dates per year (plus playoffs), it's less clear whether that money is worth the tradeoff of whatever the impact is on the team they DO currently own, which has a million times the future growth potential for them, than a CFL team does.

If they don't own the team, then the Argos are just another date in the event calendar - except they're an event that requires extensive stadium retrofitting, potential damage to their expensive soccer pitch, and a compromising of the experience for the fans of the team they actually own.

I don't think the calculus is (or at least, should be) a simple "more money = good" axiom.
    Well, it shouldn't be, but have you seen how these guys have run their other businesses? Think of BMO as your cable and phone service... Maybe one thing that will keep MLSE (through Bell/TSN) from getting too interested in the Argos and the CFL is the steps the CRTC is taking to reduce the amount of Canadian content required.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Don't be fooled by green paint for TV. By all reports its still awful and generally a step below what we're used to.
    Well it can't be much worse than what we were used to at the beginning of last year. Because the field was shite.