Page 177 of 197 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,310 of 5892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont see it as wanting a Canadian tradition to fail...i see it as the evolution of sport, pointy ball is a dangerous sport that has the evidence to show that head injuries have a long term effect...parents dont want their kids to have their heads bashed in...safe sports for parents are soccer, baseball, rugby and basketball and unfortunately if your kid isn't at least 6feet then basketball is not gonna be in the cards....

the evolution of sport is what is dictating the lack of interest in CFL football...rugby was so popular in the olympics because its a fast non stop action it provides...its on the upswing in highschools where football is on the the downward trend and clearly folks aren't even interested in watching cfl football in person....argos will only do well where there is no competition from hockey, soccer or basketball...they need to move out east to succeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't classify rugby as safe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soccer isn't that safe either, but that has more to do with rough play rather than headers.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    I dont see it as wanting a Canadian tradition to fail...i see it as the evolution of sport, pointy ball is a dangerous sport that has the evidence to show that head injuries have a long term effect...parents dont want their kids to have their heads bashed in...safe sports for parents are soccer, baseball, rugby and basketball and unfortunately if your kid isn't at least 6feet then basketball is not gonna be in the cards....

the evolution of sport is what is dictating the lack of interest in CFL football...rugby was so popular in the olympics because its a fast non stop action it provides...its on the upswing in highschools where football is on the the downward trend and clearly folks aren't even interested in watching cfl football in person....argos will only do well where there is no competition from hockey, soccer or basketball...they need to move out east to succeed.
    Found this interesting: the Dr works for the MLS:

... Neuropsychologist Dr. Ruben Echemendia reported that in his study of college athletes, over 40 percent of the soccer players had at least one concussion prior to attending college. By comparison, only 30 percent of the incoming football players in the same study reported having had a concussion.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=aGm...ussion&f=false

Football may be dangerous but soccer clearly has its risks, especially from repeated headers in practice in programs that go 10 months.

Hockey would be dangerous. And rugby safer? My guess is that you have never played or at least never had to tape your ears down to avoid them getting torn?

I generally agree that concussion avoidance is a parental desire but if that were the case to the point that it is wiping out sports, an informed parent would be encouraging tennis or golf or swimming.
    Last edited by Pookie; 08-25-2016 at 06:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    CFL is viewed as second rate compared to NFL, no question.

And throw a transatlantic EPL team in Toronto and would we see TFC support drop to current non existent CSL levels? probably.

There is no Beckham to save the CFL. But the similarities of using Beckham to appeal to a very casual fan base worked (at the gate at least) for us. And by using "fan experience" to get fans in the seats over time, I gather that's the Argos hope as well.

I find the barbs funny but I honestly don't get why anyone would want something uniquely Canadian to fail. Do we have too many traditions that we are already protecting?

Particularly when the whole point of this thread is to keep an eye on the playing conditions for our team. The playing conditions have been fine. I admit that I was wrong on that. Figured we would be headed for turf. Nope. Looks good. Well done.

Good luck to both franchises in gaining more popularity in the Toronto market.
    I'm suddenly reminded of how Ricky Williams once played for the Argos (yup, a top draft pick in the NFL). There's rumors Johnny Manziel (also a top pick) could also be headed to the CFL
    Last edited by spe18; 08-25-2016 at 06:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I wouldn't classify rugby as safe.
    I think it is safer than North American Football only because the players are not wearing body armour and there is a skill to taking and giving a tackle in rugby that is a fundamental part of the game, not just a bunch big guys in armor plowing into one another, just look at the scrum and ruck it is very controlled, sure there are injuries, there always will be injuries in sports. My dad and uncle played rugby all of their lives in England.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iv played soccer and rugby...like all sports even tennis injuries are unavoidable...i'm just referring to how parents perceive certain sports to be more dangerous than others and thus they avoid those sports...which is why certain sports begin to fade away...with respect to concussions and soccer....there is not evidence that they cause long term brain damage unlike like pointy ball where the evidence is over whelming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricky Williams played just one seson in the CFL due to his suspension from the NFL. As soon as the suspension was lifted he was back in the NFL. MLS isn't about one offs, it's chock full of global stars and talent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    I think it is safer than North American Football only because the players are not wearing body armour and there is a skill to taking and giving a tackle in rugby that is a fundamental part of the game, not just a bunch big guys in armor plowing into one another, just look at the scrum and ruck it is very controlled, sure there are injuries, there always will be injuries in sports. My dad and uncle played rugby all of their lives in England.
    It's not rucks or scrums that are the issues but open field tackles. Since professionalism came to rugby players at all levels have been getting bigger and bigger. Guys getting bigger, hits and tackles getting harder. Concussions have become a very big issue.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Concussions are also thought to be on the rise due to repeated "light" trauma. So in football, not the big hit but the repeated helmet knocks you get in practice.

With leagues in all sports trying to cater to creating super athletes through parent's wallets and going to 10-11 month single sport only programs, this risk is increased. You never get a break.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So The Argos haven't used the pitch since last Sat. Should be fine for tmr. Then they play on Wed while we go on break.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    So The Argos haven't used the pitch since last Sat. Should be fine for tmr. Then they play on Wed while we go on break.
    Ha ha. Way to bring it back.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, here we go with a huge game and a full house tonight within a jam-packed CNE grounds where those outside will see - and especially - hear what great supporters we are. Great commercial for the club and the game.

Contrast that with the sparse turnouts the Argonauts are getting for their CNE dates and people outside the stadium could be forgiven for looking at their few fans dotted amongst acres of empty seats and thinking it's merely a team holding practice inside. It certainly wouldn't generate any appeal or even curiosity. Worst possible outcome for the Argonauts.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ yawn

What's your point/end game?
    Last edited by Pookie; 08-27-2016 at 07:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    MLS isn't about one offs, it's chock full of global stars and talent.
    You sound like a MLS press release.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    So, here we go with a huge game and a full house tonight within a jam-packed CNE grounds where those outside will see - and especially - hear what great supporters we are. Great commercial for the club and the game.

Contrast that with the sparse turnouts the Argonauts are getting for their CNE dates and people outside the stadium could be forgiven for looking at their few fans dotted amongst acres of empty seats and thinking it's merely a team holding practice inside. It certainly wouldn't generate any appeal or even curiosity. Worst possible outcome for the Argonauts.
    what was with the advertisement for the next home game (BCvTOR) at Bmo field. the casual fans would have thought that it was TFC's home game...a little misleading, especially during out sellout...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW I thought the turnout for TFC was pretty bad last night, after all the hype. I don't know how the west stand looked from the distance. But the east stand obviously had many sold tickets dressed up as seats. And the start of the game was emptier than normal, despite all the appeals for early arrival. (South stand, especially the organized sections, looked good and full & ready to rock from the start though.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    BTW I thought the turnout for TFC was pretty bad last night, after all the hype. I don't know how the west stand looked from the distance. But the east stand obviously had many sold tickets dressed up as seats. And the start of the game was emptier than normal, despite all the appeals for early arrival. (South stand, especially the organized sections, looked good and full & ready to rock from the start though.)
    my section on east side is still alot of corporate/MLSE giveaways, not much in the way of season seat holders ... new people every game with freebies (based on discussion i overhear around my seats this year and others). but those tickets have been used more than in past years. my section was 80% full last night. largely full most of the season compared to last season where u could literally count the # of people in my section.
    Last edited by Onyx; 08-28-2016 at 11:15 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    Soccer isn't that safe either, but that has more to do with rough play rather than headers.
    Headers have been proven to be quite dangerous too. The brain just is not meant to take such an impact especially with younger kids.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ yawn

What's your point/end game?
    I'd say there's some singing to the choir, this being a TFC Supporters site. That said,

No complaints about the pitch I've seen yet from 2 Argos games in 2 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    The GO trains were totally fucked up last night and I'm sure that's why a lot of people couldn't get there in time. My eastbound train that would have got me to the stadium at 7:00 was cancelled, and the one after that was 10-15 minutes late so I didn't make it to my seat until the 17th minute.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I'd say there's some singing to the choir, this being a TFC Supporters site. That said,

No complaints about the pitch I've seen yet from 2 Argos games in 2 weeks.
    Liking TFC and the Argos are mutually exclusive?

Your 2nd point is why this thread should be overwhelmingly positive. Were it not for Grey Cups and Outdoor hockey, we wouldn't have a roof.

And the net effect is that we have a roof and it's a nice one. Sounds are amplified and elements are somewhat addressed. And in addition to that roof, we have hybrid grass and it looks like it is here to stay. Failing to see a downside here.

Constantly whining about sharing ground is silly IMO when there are no negatives and without it, we wouldn't have had stadium expansion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They didnt install the hybrid grass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your 2nd point is why this thread should be overwhelmingly positive. Were it not for Grey Cups and Outdoor hockey, we wouldn't have a roof.

And the net effect is that we have a roof and it's a nice one. Sounds are amplified and elements are somewhat addressed. And in addition to that roof, we have hybrid grass and it looks like it is here to stay. Failing to see a downside here.

Constantly whining about sharing ground is silly IMO when there are no negatives and without it, we wouldn't have had stadium expansion.
    We don't have hybrid grass... might want to know the facts.

Grey cup has virtually nothing to do with expansion it's all outdoor hockey.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    We don't have hybrid grass... might want to know the facts.

Grey cup has virtually nothing to do with expansion it's all outdoor hockey.
    Well then if there is no hybrid yet all the better. It's working with grass and we still have a plan b before plan c, turf is brought back.

As for knowing the facts, Google Leiweke and Grey Cups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hybrid isn't really a plan B, they decided to not use it because it can't be fixed if destroyed... the product has basically been taken off the table.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Hybrid isn't really a plan B, they decided to not use it because it can't be fixed if destroyed... the product has basically been taken off the table.
    Just needs reseeding time. That's what they do at old Trafford. If this goes south, it will be on us to force the issue.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just needs reseeding time. That's what they do at old Trafford. If this goes south, it will be on us to force the issue.
    Hybrid is used all over the place but the experience with it in the US for NFL is it takes 7+days to grow back in.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did I say they were exclusive? But thanks for the question. No they do not have to be exclusive but the example I was referring to clearly was. IT's also why the thread is so negative, not because of keeping tabs on the pitch, the only downside ongoing concern to the groundshare. You have your opinion. I don't find the concern silly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pleased with how the ground has held up so far this year. I think in the late fall there could be an issue as the grass in theory won't grow back as easily.... however those lamps they use look pretty intense.
    Still cheering for the argos to finish out of the playoffs so that the only late season date we have on the field is the grey cup.
    That said, a switch to artificial will always be a threat.