Page 170 of 197 FirstFirst ... 70120160166167168169170171172173174180 ... LastLast
Results 5,071 to 5,100 of 5892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Where did all those Blue Bombers fans come from? They're local fans or people who flew over?
    Prolly a combination of Manitoba ex-pats and people coming for a weekend in the 6ix. Some said they were going to the Jays game too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    Just wanted to link these two posts.
    it will be a concern all year long.

how will the turf look after a full CFL season?
    what will it look like if/when they paint the turf for the Grey Cup?
    etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to add to robs post:

What happens if we have a home conference final game the same weekend as the grey cup?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post

What happens if we have a home conference final game the same weekend as the grey cup?
    Would we have to change venues if that ever happens?..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Your point on participation is a fair one but let's also acknowledge that participation in football in Canada at the youth level has never been significant. My first experience with football was Grade 9 when I signed up for high school tryouts. The coach had to explain the positions. There was no peewee football back then.

Football's popularity in general isn't declining. Ratings suggest it's strong both here and in the USA.

I would bet that southern Ontario ratings aren't as strong as out west. But the decision to buy the Argos was made by 2 strong business entities that looked at the full picture. That includes gates, TV revenue, playoffs and Grey Cups. Grey Cups were one of the driving factors Leiweke pointed to when pushing stadium expansion.

I get there is a soccer v football under current here and in CFL circles. The reality is they aren't going anywhere and you know what... this shared stadium thing has worked so far.

Grass is fine. TFC dates are protected. Seats are still red. Roof is appreciated. What is there to complain about?
    A few things...grass is fine for now, lets wait to see what happens with mid week champions league matches and a normal Southern Ontario summer with rain...will there still be a 5 day break between argo and tfc matches? will be very difficult to do...

with respect to interest i noticed highschool football is moving over for rugby...when i was in highschool the only big sports were baseball, soccer and football...the later doesn't exist in my highschool anymore.

you speak of 2 strong business entities wanting to buy the argos? well they only bought them at a discount and a third large entity didnt want to have anything to do with them (rogers)...and these 2 'strong' business entities grossly misunderstood the local interest as they expected to sell 20K season tickets!!! they barely got 7K...bells only interest was to protect TSN...plus as someone stated earlier the Argos are the 4th on the list for priority dates that wont do much to get regular playing nights...

I'm just wondering when will the higher ups realize that this stadium is too large for them, 3 years 5 years? will they relocate the argos to lamport, yorku? what if the new Toronto Rugby team does better than the Argos with respect to SSHs will they move into BMO as well? how many teams can BMO accommodate without asking 1 to move...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wolfpack Season Tix are cheap.
    $270ish for the season.
    it would be funny if they got Lamport rocking better than the Argos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post

TFC goes to Rogers Centre if this happens... non-stop streamers from the upper deck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heart of Stone View Post
    TFC goes to Rogers Centre if this happens... non-stop streamers from the upper deck.
    and throwin' batteries at beckham
    Last edited by Onyx; 08-13-2016 at 07:57 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heart of Stone View Post
    Hope not... Let the Argos go there.
    Wait a second......

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dirt infield turf game? Nope. They'd play the game on the Friday night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That is my impression as well, even as late as sat at 1 could work for a flip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just saw the recap of the Argos match, did anyone else notice that they painted the Argos and CFL logos on the field? That surely will take more time to remove than simple white paint...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    I just saw the recap of the Argos match, did anyone else notice that they painted the Argos and CFL logos on the field? That surely will take more time to remove than simple white paint...
    Those were digital logos. I'm pretty sure that there was an agreement that no logos would be painted on during Argos games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Would ESPN or Fox Sports be able to broadcast on the Friday night though?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw the Globe&Mail's report on the latest Argo game. Had the following info from CP writer and CFL hall of fame scribbler Dan Ralph:

"Denmark finished with seven catches for 195 yards and the two touchdowns. Andrew Harris’s four-yard TD run at 9:57 of the third put Winnipeg ahead 20-10 and pretty much silenced the BMO Field gathering 15,063 on a night when both the Toronto Blue Jays and Tragically Hip were playing nearby."

Yet 20,000 were able to make it into the ACC and almost 47,000 into the dome. Unfortunately, we were deprived of the subjective crowd assessment (exhcushe, shurely. ed) that graced his report on the Argos loss to Montreal in front of 16,048:

"Monday’s attendance (16,048) was a dramatic improvement from the 12,373 fans who attended Toronto’s 30-20 home loss to Ottawa on July 13... ." When you're calling a 4,000-fan increase to 16k "dramatic" you know there's real concern amongst the Argos most faithful supporters.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 08-14-2016 at 10:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully after this or next season this thread can get buried, all the stadium issue tests passed, and we can all move on with our lives.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I hope this thread doesn't need to explode anytime with "The pitch was a joke" post match. I really do. But I don't think any time will soften that where's it's ok.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A few things...grass is fine for now, lets wait to see what happens with mid week champions league matches and a normal Southern Ontario summer with rain...will there still be a 5 day break between argo and tfc matches? will be very difficult to do...

with respect to interest i noticed highschool football is moving over for rugby...when i was in highschool the only big sports were baseball, soccer and football...the later doesn't exist in my highschool anymore.

you speak of 2 strong business entities wanting to buy the argos? well they only bought them at a discount and a third large entity didnt want to have anything to do with them (rogers)...and these 2 'strong' business entities grossly misunderstood the local interest as they expected to sell 20K season tickets!!! they barely got 7K...bells only interest was to protect TSN...plus as someone stated earlier the Argos are the 4th on the list for priority dates that wont do much to get regular playing nights...
    Yet with all of that, the purchase still went ahead.

It's a little amusing to read the attendance congratulations for TFC when it was just 4 years ago that the infamous "Waitlist" went dry, ticket prices had to be rolled back to 2007 levels and there was real concern about season ticket holders not showing up to games.

I would think that TFC fans would share things in common given that go to market strategies for both clubs have threatened the grass roots movement. TFC and MLSE and Argos with the Braley divestment impacted both fan bases. And price gouging... as seen with MLSE Lite (2/3rds of MLSE ownership) and the Grey Cup... still shows where the short term focus may be.

I'm just wondering when will the higher ups realize that this stadium is too large for them, 3 years 5 years? will they relocate the argos to lamport, yorku? what if the new Toronto Rugby team does better than the Argos with respect to SSHs will they move into BMO as well? how many teams can BMO accommodate without asking 1 to move...
    It's a great ongoing question for MLSE given they wanted them there (along with outdoor hockey).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    Would ESPN or Fox Sports be able to broadcast on the Friday night though?
    Doubt any conference final TFC playoff game will be on a sunday, TSN has NFL and CFL commitments those days. Did they show any conference final playoff games last year in weeks preceeding MLS cup? stopped paying attention after we lost.
    Last edited by Onyx; 08-14-2016 at 02:28 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Hopefully after this or next season this thread can get buried, all the stadium issue tests passed, and we can all move on with our lives.
    there is nothing compelling anyone to open the thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see we have a few Argo defenders on this board, no problem but to you Argo defenders , the Argo front office are the ones that made statements about how the move to BMO would be an instant success right away, how season tickets would increase significantly one of them even mentioned how the Argos would outdraw TFC right from the get go, I think it was their Vice President who made that statement. They had attendance problems at the Dome and now it is continuing at BMO , but of course everything is alright with the Argos because of the great TV ratings lol.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sometimes wonder if the Argo decision makers assumed that young people like drinking beers at BMO...just shoe horn any sport in there...the liberty village kids will just show up.
    but they're wrong.
    they don't realize how strong soccer is.

And I truly believe the Toronto expects the best (no minor leagues)

The argos are just so expensive for what they are.
    for a decent sideline ticket it is $50+

Why would I pay that much to see guys that couldn't make NFL practice squads?
    when for similar money, and a 1.5 hour drive or 3 hour drive I can see the best in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    Those were digital logos. I'm pretty sure that there was an agreement that no logos would be painted on during Argos games.
    lol..really?! wow looked like they were painted on! maybe they could digitally add some fans onto all those red seats!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$20 for the southend and they still can't fill that up? these guys are in denial about the love for the argos...when will they wake up...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$20 for the southend and they still can't fill that up? these guys are in denial about the love for the argos...when will they wake up...
    $30. Look closely. The top corners are $20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could just get a $20 ticket and sit wherever you want in either of the upper stands. Not like security is really checking tickets.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    That being said, if we have a rain game with their team and the pitch is pristine after, we should shut down this thread, they'll no longer be relevant to us, just another minor tenant like rugby.
    The best way "We" shut down a thread is not posting in it.

I get that people want closure on this (Some desperately so) but it's never going to go away until the groundshare is over. That's the point. Either it's "good enough" for someone or it's not. Good luck on a unanimous outcome. I don't see it happening.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I know it's Apples and Oranges when talking about the future of the Argos, but The is the Grey Cup is going to be one heck of a party.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep the thread open. I like this discussion.

As for Wagner's comment on the Buffalo Bills.. Not only is it a better experience, Buffalo fans are some of the best in the NFL. It's well worth the trip to Buffalo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Now I know it's Apples and Oranges when talking about the future of the Argos, but The is the Grey Cup is going to be one heck of a party.
    Cool I guess.....