Page 139 of 197 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149189 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,170 of 5892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
    Are they going to be putting tarps over any of the seating at BMO Field? From the seating chart it doesn't look like they are.
    Not initially, heck they may even sell out the first game! Its really all conjecture at this point as to what their attendance figures are going to look like this season.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Have the Argo-noughts released schematics yet showing which sections of BMO Field they plan to tarp over and what the advertising rates will be to put up a sponsor tarp?

Yeah, they never lie in schematics. Nor do they ever mis-represent just how fabulously interested this city is in the C-Ya-Later-FL. These pics suggest they'll have tarps up sooner than later.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
    Are they going to be putting tarps over any of the seating at BMO Field? From the seating chart it doesn't look like they are.
    No they will not, that as much as I can confirm.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    Not initially, heck they may even sell out the first game! Its really all conjecture at this point as to what their attendance figures are going to look like this season.
    I'm pretty sure the tarps at Rogers Centre where there because of poor sight lines, not related to attendance.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The lower tarps were indeed for useless seats from sightlines. No one expected to pay to watch the game in between players shoulder pads. I think the tarps in question are the ones in the 500's.

They won't need to use those (if they could) this season.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this where I point out that the Whitecaps have a permanent tarp in all but name? As will Atlanta.

BMO is a far more intimate field then the Dome. Teams tarp because they want to make it look better. Just like the Whitecaps in BC Place.

They won't tarp anywhere. If anything, they'll paper sections to death. I could foresee in about 5 years them not selling the upper reaches of the second deck, if things are not working out. Then, and only then, will they tarp areas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Is this where I point out that the Whitecaps have a permanent tarp in all but name? As will Atlanta.

BMO is a far more intimate field then the Dome. Teams tarp because they want to make it look better. Just like the Whitecaps in BC Place.

They won't tarp anywhere. If anything, they'll paper sections to death. I could foresee in about 5 years them not selling the upper reaches of the second deck, if things are not working out. Then, and only then, will they tarp areas.
    Papering only works when you have folks willing to take the ticket and travel to the game. I agree that papering sections will be the tactic that will be preferred to tarps - but I am predicting upper east side tarps by season 3 (west side does not show up on tv). Season 5? I predict seasons 3 and 4 will be the downsize and relocate years...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so are we going to put up tarps this year. East side upper desk is only 10% full for most games.
    with stadium expansion, argos move in stuff ... SSH have to be down this year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    Papering only works when you have folks willing to take the ticket and travel to the game. .....
    That last bit is the key. A lot of people don't know how difficult it is to get in and out of BMO. Especially when the streetcar is down like it will be for this season. Let alone during the Ex (where the streetcar will be back but parking will be nigh on impossible)

For the REAL test of Argo #'s, I'd be looking at how many get to the Ottawa game on Wed July 13th @ 7:30. Ottawa has the least amount of fans living in this city - even less then BC.

2nd league home game - 2 away games the weeks before. That's a good test. Lets see how many schlepp it in from the 905 for a Wednesday night game at BMO.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-25-2016 at 12:46 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    so are we going to put up tarps this year. East side upper desk is only 10% full for most games.

Nope to most of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they overpriced the Upper East Side (sounds like a NYC real estate observation). I also think that because of the higher prices it is often the lower seats that are low sellers, not the cheaper, higher ones.
    However we are speculating about the visuals of a non-roof stadium.
    TFC have gone with a big night game schedule - I think that whatever the sales levels for certain games, it will be interesting to see what it looks like on tv...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That last bit is the key. A lot of people don't know how difficult it is to get in and out of BMO. Especially when the streetcar is down like it will be for this season. Let alone during the Ex (where the streetcar will be back but parking will be nigh on impossible)

For the REAL test of Argo #'s, I'd be looking at how many get to the Ottawa game on Wed July 13th @ 7:30.

2nd league home game - 2 away games the weeks before. That's a good test. Lets see how many schlepp it in from the 905 for a Wednesday night game at BMO.
    The GO train will be the way to go, I use it more than often from Union just to get across.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. it was more than 10 percent full most games. Let's not be ridiculous.
    2. stadium has a smaller capacity now. North side fans are being relocated to the rest stadium.
    3. we're the only ones who give a shit about the argos moving in. Average prospecteve fan isn't concerned about that. Given we made our first playoff game and the general organization is beginning to be held in high regard throughout the city's sports fans, it's likely attendance will increase at least a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man you are straight making stuff up. Judging by your previous posts i take it youre another "neutral" CFL fanboy?
    Last edited by mistercorporate; 02-25-2016 at 12:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope to most of that.
    Lets fill our own stadium first, before we start making fun of other teams.
    BMO plastered all over empty seat websites last year with people making fun of us.

Just wish they make the eastside upper deck similar to the west with 3-4k seats instead of 8k. Then the stadium would look and feel full again. it was just too big a jump.
    Last edited by Onyx; 02-25-2016 at 01:13 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets fill our own stadium first, before we start making fun of other teams.
    BMO plastered all over empty seat websites last year with people making fun of us.

Just wish they make the eastside upper deck similar to the west with 3-4k seats instead of 8k. Then the stadium would look and feel full again. it was just too big a jump.
    The East addition was not built for us. It wasn't even built to be full most of the time. Barely any stadia in NA are. Built too big for one time event to get the funding and then try and get as much use out of it as possible.

I don't like it but that's the way it gets done.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Man you are straight making stuff up. Judging by your previous posts i take it youre another "neutral" CFL fanboy?
    You are quick to callout possible CFLers, mister. If you've read any other threads you'd see he's consistently that "Glass half empty" most of the time.

No offense, and in your defense @Onyx. Feel free to add to that if you disagree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intimate means nothing in the CFL. Saskatoon and Edmonton are the teams that consistently draw highest and have the least intimate stadiums. Montreal worked in a more "intimate" setting because it wasn't on Nun's Island, not because it only sat 21,000 and you were closer to the field. In fact, Montreal only drew 15,000 for a playoff game as recently as 2014, so it hasn't exactly been a panacea there, either.

Canada is only a second-tier pro nation when there are no alternatives or the history is so ingrained (like CFL on the prairies) as to make it tradition. Toronto will never seriously support a CFL team again. It is too large, and its people too intent on getting the best tier available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    You are quick to callout possible CFLers, mister. If you've read any other threads you'd see he's consistently that "Glass half empty" most of the time.

No offense, and in your defense @Onyx. Feel free to add to that if you disagree.
    Guilty as charged!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Intimate means nothing in the CFL. Saskatoon and Edmonton are the teams that consistently draw highest and have the least intimate stadiums. Montreal worked in a more "intimate" setting because it wasn't on Nun's Island, not because it only sat 21,000 and you were closer to the field. In fact, Montreal only drew 15,000 for a playoff game as recently as 2014, so it hasn't exactly been a panacea there, either.

Canada is only a second-tier pro nation when there are no alternatives or the history is so ingrained (like CFL on the prairies) as to make it tradition. Toronto will never seriously support a CFL team again. It is too large, and its people too intent on getting the best tier available.
    Are you worried that when it comes to watching on TV Toronto (and Canadian) viewers will also insist on the best tier available? The more I have followed this discussion in this thread the more similarities I've seen between MLS and the CFL. Which may or may not be a bad thing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post

i would say "impartial" and "objective" only slightly jaded by 40yrs of losing hockey and 9yrs of losing futbol.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argos will announce sellouts all year, and they will draw well. 20000 is a realistic number for them. Plus some of the seasons seats are cheap, so scalpers likely are stepping up.
    The opener will be sold out. The ex game will be sold out.
    The true test won't come until year 3. By then the charm has worn off, the games aren't events, etc.
    Honestly how the argos do at the gate is irrelevant, they aren't moving and they aren't folding, though I'd love to see Larry t and bell lose their shirts on this.
    The only issue for us is priority dates, the field conditions, and for some in stadium signage, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

funny thing when i was poking around the available seats in the stadium, looks like the majority of seats in the upper deck are sold. some sections up there only have 2 seats availalbe some 16...so looks like TFC FO has done a good job selling seasons to new folks...so tarps for TFC we will likely never see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The season before their nomadic season last year, I think they were well below 20k average. They averaged about 17k when they had Doug Flutie and back-to-back 15-3 seasons. If they manage to get 20k this year it will be all to do with BMO field, not any sudden passion for the CFL game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    Argos will announce sellouts all year, and they will draw well. 20000 is a realistic number for them. Plus some of the seasons seats are cheap, so scalpers likely are stepping up.
    The opener will be sold out. The ex game will be sold out.
    Just an FYI - the Argos get 2 Ex games while we get 1. I suspect this will happen most seasons as our home dates will be stretched over 8 months while they only get 5. Get used to Montreal games during the Ex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Are you worried that when it comes to watching on TV Toronto (and Canadian) viewers will also insist on the best tier available? The more I have followed this discussion in this thread the more similarities I've seen between MLS and the CFL. Which may or may not be a bad thing...
    MLS definitely has this as an issue; it's a simple comparison to look at Serie 'A' tv ratings in Canada and see them outdrawing our own clubs three to one. It would be helped by a Canadian pro league, if it wasn't poor quality, as the overall visibility and social acceptance would probably draw more to our 'top tier.' But John, you live there: can you see the argos selling out BMO? Or Sportsnet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    The season before their nomadic season last year, I think they were well below 20k average. They averaged about 17k when they had Doug Flutie and back-to-back 15-3 seasons. If they manage to get 20k this year it will be all to do with BMO field, not any sudden passion for the CFL game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larry and Bell are GUARANTEED to lose their shirts on the Argonauts. But its not about the Argos its all about TSN. Make no mistake this is a way to keep TSN the most valuable cable network in the country (which it is).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something happened in 2008 to change things for the Argos.

Oh, yeah, economic downturn. And the Cynamon/Sokolowski guys decided to stop papering (or were told by Braley, who was footing the bills)

It never came back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something happened in 2008 to change things for the Argos.

Oh, yeah, economic downturn. And the Cynamon/Sokolowski guys decided to stop papering (or were told by Braley, who was footing the bills)

It never came back.
    quick questing what do you mean by papering?