Page 138 of 197 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148188 ... LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,140 of 5892
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ About possible schedule conflicts with MLS playoffs: somebody has in their signature here, how MLSE did all their homework before moving ahead with this plan. I.e., it will most likely get screwed up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    ^ About possible schedule conflicts with MLS playoffs: somebody has in their signature here, how MLSE did all their homework before moving ahead with this plan. I.e., it will most likely get screwed up.
    Fact is when you are awarded the Grey Cup no way it is being moved under any circumstance and everyone knows it. Its one of the biggest events in the country and has pretty much always kicked off at 6 pm eastern give or take some minutes regardless of what part of the country it is actually being played in.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Again I will ask the question I have asked a few times already but still no one has been able to answer it yet. If we go by last years playoffs and the playoff format is the same, moreover, the US TV contract calls for Sunday playoff games again, if everything stays the same as last year where the conference finals were home and away and both the home and away games played a week apart on consecutive Sundays, then this would mean that if TFC were to host the second game of the eastern final it would fall on the same Sunday as the Grey Cup right? So therefore where would this game be played, Rogers Center, Lamport, Tim Horton's Field in Hamilton? Where would it be played because it sure will not be BMO that Sunday because of the Grey Cup being played on that Sunday!
    The TFC match would be played on the Saturday. Grey Cup on Sunday.

MLS is moving away from playoff games on Sunday anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post

no chance anyone is allowed on the grass tuesday to game time grey cup week, except for the field painters .. this includes the players
    Last edited by Onyx; 02-23-2016 at 12:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    no chance anyone is allowed on the grass tuesday to game time grey cup week, except for the field painters .. this includes the players
    Yeah this is right, there's no way you're playing a match the day before the Grey Cup.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    The CFL teams would get their walk through in the morning followed by their media availablity and then the painters would move in.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure there is a need for field painters beyond the lines.

The Argos are basically testing out the "all logos are superimposed for TV" idea during the season. I know there are a LOT of logos on for the Grey Cup, but its there for the TV - the crowd inside doesn't need to see the ads.

And its not like the Grey Cup players really care about the field beyond what cleats to wear.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Fact is when you are awarded the Grey Cup no way it is being moved under any circumstance and everyone knows it. Its one of the biggest events in the country and has pretty much always kicked off at 6 pm eastern give or take some minutes regardless of what part of the country it is actually being played in.
    I know that the Grey Cup is a "big deal." (Although I don't really give a shit about it -- not enough that I want it to screw up TFC's playoffs.) That's not the issue here, right? This is the issue: I doubt that MLSE knew enough about the MLS 2016 playoff scheduling when they booked the 2016 Grey Cup at BMO Field, to know for sure that there won't be a problem. If that's the case, they shouldn't have made lofty promises that they've done their homework, and that there's no reason to worry. Here's the quote:

"TFC is the primary tenant," said Hopkinson, MLSE’s chief commercial officer. "You don’t get this far into the process without having done all your homework, and we’ve done all our homework."
    Actually, what's the use of the quote "TFC is the primary tenant" in this context? I doubt that TFC is the "primary tenant" compared with a Grey Cup game. If ESPN wants 2016 MLS playoff scheduling that conflicts with Grey Cup at BMO Field, they aren't going to move the Grey Cup to accommodate that.

"MLSE exec Dave Hopkinson says TFC fans needn’t worry." I'm worried. We've seen enough cases where MLSE didn't "do their homework" or made unrealistic promises.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 02-23-2016 at 02:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is what I've said all along.... just because someone does their homework doesn't mean they get good grades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look the chances that TFC will be in a position where they are holding the second game of the eastern final are as good as me winning the lottery based on the crappy history of this organization since 2007, however,anything is possible so you never know, and who said that the MLS TV contract is moving away from Sunday playoff games? Look just be ready to go watch this game at the Rogers Center or maybe a Tim Hortons field in Hamilton if TFC is in that position to hold the second game of the eastern final because of the Grey Cup that same weekend being played at BMO.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no way in hell this game is moving to Hamilton or the Rogers Centre.

None.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    There is no way in hell this game is moving to Hamilton or the Rogers Centre.

None.
    But in reality it would have too, and as Rogers Centre is owned by a MLSE partner it could be done with some planning in place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be beyond rediculous to play the game anywhere other than BMO. Beyond that can Rogers centre even be configured for soccer anymore after the infield was covered to dirt? Would look pathetic to basically play on a baseball diamond with turf covering part of the infield.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    It would be beyond rediculous to play the game anywhere other than BMO. Beyond that can Rogers centre even be configured for soccer anymore after the infield was covered to dirt? Would look pathetic to basically play on a baseball diamond with turf covering part of the infield.
    It is lowered down when not in use for baseball.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is lowered down when not in use for baseball.
    he isn't talking about the hydraulic Mound.
    he's talking about how they dug up the concrete to have a dirt/clay infield.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be able to be covered for non baseball events, spoke with Stephen Brooks about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be able to be covered for non baseball events, spoke with Stephen Brooks about it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I truly hope we do get to this scenario. It will be an absolute shitstorm in the weeks preceding the event and MLSE will have their feet held to the fire about their blithe comments that BMO Field is a 'soccer first' venue.

If it doesn't go TFC's way, then it will be an even greater shitstorm after the event, with long term ramifications. As in, we can't trust the ownership group to tell us anything honestly. Because if it doesn't, then it will be the fans dumping their seasons tickets in the face of bad-faith brinksmanship by MLSE that tips the balance the other way.

Beyond that, it would be players telling TFC where to go. But whaddya bet MLSE solve the problem by not creating a sufficiently strong roster for TFC to contend for the title this season. It may not be one big decision - or non decision - but simply a series of choices that ensure that TFC don't get it done and the money spinning Grey Cup can go off without a hitch.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 02-23-2016 at 05:23 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noticed the title under your board name.. You're still VP?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to find those articles saying when TV dates had been set for the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post

To what day of the week do you suggest the playoff games be moved to then, considering both ESPN & Fox Sports, who hold the national TV rights for MLS in the US, cover college football on Saturdays?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God I wish this happens where good old MLSE is faced with this scenario, imagine we finally get to such a big game and we can't even play it at our newly renovated stadium or the irony of it all oh my MLSE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    To what day of the week do you suggest the playoff games be moved to then, considering both ESPN & Fox Sports, who hold the national TV rights for MLS in the US, cover college football on Saturdays?
    Rumour/editorials/conjecture is they will eliminate the away leg and move midweek playoff gameday (ie. wednesdays) so they can stay on tv in future years. (ie. every round will be like the current play-in round).

Problem for the league is EPSN & Fox want USMNT rights and had to take MLS games, it doesn't inspire confidence they will push the product for the next 6yrs
    Last edited by Onyx; 02-24-2016 at 01:35 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't they just reverse the legs? We'd lose the "home field advantage" if there's extra time in the second leg (and if this scenario comes to pass we will all be baying at the moon about that) ... but really it seems solvable without bloodshed.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Wouldn't they just reverse the legs? We'd lose the "home field advantage" if there's extra time in the second leg (and if this scenario comes to pass we will all be baying at the moon about that) ... but really it seems solvable without bloodshed.
    This is what will end up happening I'm sure and yes if/when it happens we will all lose are collective minds. I think the only thing that would sidetrack a lot of pissed off people is if we were to somehow manage a cup final at home in BMO. I know that is dreaming big but it would take a bit of the sting out of having to reverse the legs.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    I truly hope we do get to this scenario. It will be an absolute shitstorm in the weeks preceding the event and MLSE will have their feet held to the fire about their blithe comments that BMO Field is a 'soccer first' venue.

If it doesn't go TFC's way, then it will be an even greater shitstorm after the event, with long term ramifications. As in, we can't trust the ownership group to tell us anything honestly. Because if it doesn't, then it will be the fans dumping their seasons tickets in the face of bad-faith brinksmanship by MLSE that tips the balance the other way.

Beyond that, it would be players telling TFC where to go. But whaddya bet MLSE solve the problem by not creating a sufficiently strong roster for TFC to contend for the title this season. It may not be one big decision - or non decision - but simply a series of choices that ensure that TFC don't get it done and the money spinning Grey Cup can go off without a hitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    God I wish this happens where good old MLSE is faced with this scenario, imagine we finally get to such a big game and we can't even play it at our newly renovated stadium or the irony of it all oh my MLSE!
    Let's not go that far. I think we can say that the planning of this was not very professional and regardless of the outcome we know they've not inspired trust in their planning abilities. I just would hate to even say I'd be happy to see them fail if any of us have to suffer for it.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. Seeing it like this really highlights what a non-issue the surface is to Argos/CFL players and thereby fans. And yet they want us to see the issue as all things equal...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have the Argo-noughts released schematics yet showing which sections of BMO Field they plan to tarp over and what the advertising rates will be to put up a sponsor tarp?

Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 02-25-2016 at 10:06 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have they ever released schematics like that to the public?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Have the Argo-noughts released schematics yet showing which sections of BMO Field they plan to tarp over and what the advertising rates will be to put up a sponsor tarp?
    Are they going to be putting tarps over any of the seating at BMO Field? From the seating chart it doesn't look like they are.