Page 133 of 197 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143183 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,990 of 5892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, that pylon guy has already admitted on another forum he created that account after being banned from his first account (for trolling). Contrary to how he presented himself on this forum he was actually one of the most anti-TFC guys on that other forum, literally talking about how he wants our team to collapse and to have the stadium renamed Argo Field (lol!). His more agreeable second persona on here couldn't be masked for long before he went back to his cfl-boosting tfc-denigrating ways. Your account is created literally 24 hours after he gets banned and all you've posted so far is pro-cfl stuff. Reminds me of that guy a while back who had something like 400+ posts just boosting the Argos (literally 100% of his posts) before he got banned, I wonder if all these accounts are the same guy??
    Last edited by mistercorporate; 02-10-2016 at 06:39 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've banned the troll and deleted his posts so he can't have the satisfaction of having a voice here. If he comes back, the same will happen so he might as well give up.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Sure, that pylon guy has already admitted on another forum he created that account after being banned from his first account (for trolling). Contrary to how he presented himself on this forum he was actually one of the most anti-TFC guys on that other forum, literally talking about how he wants our team to collapse and to have the stadium renamed Argo Field (lol!). His more agreeable second persona on here couldn't be masked for long before he went back to his cfl-boosting tfc-denigrating ways. Your account is created literally 24 hours after he gets banned and all you've posted so far is pro-cfl stuff. Reminds me of that guy a while back who had something like 400+ posts just boosting the Argos (literally 100% of his posts) before he got banned, I wonder if all these accounts are the same guy??
    I am actually a fan of both teams, TFC and The Argos. Have been a long time TFC supporter and also have season tickets to the Argos for years until I started to work for them and then the Ticats. TFC and the Argos both have had issues in the past and more than likely still do. At the end of the day this conversation can be had and until we actually see how things go at BMO Field for both teams it will continue to go around in circles. Reality is that Argonauts TV rating blow those of TFC right out of the water while on the other hand TFC attendance has been better of late with all the issues the Argos have been facing at the Rogers Centre. Are the Argos out of the woods, no where close to it but attendance will get a boost this year especially with a consistent home schedule while TFC will continue to do what they do building of their first playoff spot, regardless of how brief it was along with Seba's sensational season. No one here is being forced to love TFC, the Argos or both teams or not but use your energy is a positive light and spread the word in a good way.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The insecurity among some CFL people is just weird. Reminds me of the TV ratings threads in here.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Their insecurity is not weird. It's utterly merited. If the CFL is dependant on the Argonauts for survival, then it is hanging by a thread.

Nor is it weird that many TFC fans experience utter revulsion at having to share BMO Field with the Argos.

I don't think it's just because it's CFL football. If it was a strong, viable operation with outstanding prospects for the future and a sport that our kids loved and made it a no-brainer to be a good citizen about and accept, we could go along with it.

But it's nothing of the sort. Not even close.

It's the profound PATHETIC-NESS of the Argonauts franchise that has disgusted so many soccer fans. A squealing, begging, foetal-curl of a sports operation that has gone bankrupt twice since the 1980s. Now, propped up like a banana republic junta. And we are having to accommodate this at the stadium that outstanding support for soccer, and soccer alone, created and built.

We have every right to be hostile and cynical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too big to fail^^

The Argos are one of Canada's oldest institutions and by extension so is the CFL. The idea is that they've given us a lot so we should help them out in times of need. From a city planning perspective it totally makes sense to do this arrangement at least in the short term. Whether you agree with that idea or not it is the general basis for most political decision making that goes on around the Argos.

No one wants to be the one who has to turn the lights off in the end. It's a bad look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The insecurity among some CFL people is just weird. Reminds me of the TV ratings threads in here.
    Scary part is that their TV numbers are dropping while NFL TV numbers are growing in Canada (especially if you look at demographic where younger generation only watch NFL to get their gridiron fix). If this trend continues, then CFL will be have even harder time to survive. I think CFL trolls should troll NFL forums instead of soccer ones since NFL is bigger threat to CFL's survival than soccer.

Soccer is completely different sport with different demographic. Only people who care about Argos and CFL in general are old Canadians (or in Stephen Harper's words. "old-stock Canadians"). More multicultural Canada becomes, tougher it will be for CFL to survive (we are already seeing that in Toronto). This is why soccer is growing to a point that CFL owners are working with CSA to form all Canadian soccer league.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Honestly wouldn't surprise me if they were selling premium seats and suites as a combined TFC/Argos and right of first refusal to winter classic as 1 package corporately.
    Oh but that would ruin the surprise! There needs to be an announcement to make more headlines!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Oh but that would ruin the surprise! There needs to be an announcement to make more headlines!
    Except it now doesn't even look like we are getting the winter classic... whoever did the initial profit projections for a stadium upgrade has to rework some numbers now. Lets hope the cost doesn't flow through to us, don't want to have to go all liverpool supporter on them.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except it now doesn't even look like we are getting the winter classic... whoever did the initial profit projections for a stadium upgrade has to rework some numbers now. Lets hope the cost doesn't flow through to us, don't want to have to go all liverpool supporter on them.
    link or quote if you got it?

Imagine they did all this just for the Argos? I just can't...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    link or quote if you got it?

Imagine they did all this just for the Argos? I just can't...
    James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 3h3 hours ago James Mirtle Retweeted ESPN NHL coverage
    So Leafs didn't get all-star game, Winter Classic or the draft in their 100th year.

See if i can find something better but sounds like NBC wouldn't allow the game to leave Merica, probably going to St Louis.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Leafs didn't get all-star game, Winter Classic or the draft in their 100th year.

See if i can find something better but sounds like NBC wouldn't allow the game to leave Merica, probably going to St Louis.
    Even if St. Louis gets the Winter Classic, that is not to say the Leafs will not get an ourdoor game, they could have one under the Heritage Classic Banner or Stadium Series. Does it really matter to them what its called.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Heritage_Classic

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Even if St. Louis gets the Winter Classic, that is not to say the Leafs will not get an ourdoor game, they could have one under the Heritage Classic Banner or Stadium Series. Does it really matter to them what its called.

Of course it matters to them what it is called. The winter classic is the main event during the season for the NHL, you think MLSE and Rogers will be happy getting some second rate event which doesn't come with the prestige of being the 1st winter classic held in Canada?

I'm going to assume we get an outdoor game and that it will be against the Habs and called the something something classic but doesn't take away from the fact that it isn't the biggest event on the calendar.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE will be pissed for sure. I wonder if it might be partly because of the low Cdn $? For sure it's harder to make money here now, and then convert it back to US$.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This. I was at the one in Calgary and Flames made so much money it was ridiculous. MLSE couldn't care less what it's called.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course it matters to them what it is called. The winter classic is the main event during the season for the NHL, you think MLSE and Rogers will be happy getting some second rate event which doesn't come with the prestige of being the 1st winter classic held in Canada?

I'm going to assume we get an outdoor game and that it will be against the Habs and called the something something classic but doesn't take away from the fact that it isn't the biggest event on the calendar.
    Well regardless of how it goes down at BMO, nothing is going to ever replace my favorite out door game of all-time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I guess Maple Leafs aren't big draw outside of Toronto like many in MLSE think. lol

I am sure there will some form of outdoor game held at BMO field next year (MLSE spent too much on BMO field so they can host outdoor game), but I am sure MLSE aren't too happy not getting "main" outdoor game though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Scary part is that their TV numbers are dropping while NFL TV numbers are growing in Canada (especially if you look at demographic where younger generation only watch NFL to get their gridiron fix). If this trend continues, then CFL will be have even harder time to survive. I think CFL trolls should troll NFL forums instead of soccer ones since NFL is bigger threat to CFL's survival than soccer.

Soccer is completely different sport with different demographic. Only people who care about Argos and CFL in general are old Canadians (or in Stephen Harper's words. "old-stock Canadians"). More multicultural Canada becomes, tougher it will be for CFL to survive (we are already seeing that in Toronto). This is why soccer is growing to a point that CFL owners are working with CSA to form all Canadian soccer league.

Canadian league (if it gets off the ground) has nothing to do with love of soccer, it just a chance to sell popcorn & beer an additional 15 or so dates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    Canadian league (if it gets off the ground) has nothing to do with love of soccer, it just a chance to sell popcorn & beer an additional 15 or so dates.
    Well in business POV, these CFL owners see potential in soccer if they're willing to invest millions (probably lose millions for first 10 years).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Well in business POV, these CFL owners see potential in soccer if they're willing to invest millions (probably lose millions for first 10 years).
    no way they are putting that much $ in. soccer team breaks even, they sell popcorn & beer. I bet CSA is putting $ in. its only a few cfl owners i believe involved. nhl owners as well.

i see the model being csa putting $ in, cfl/nhl clubs using existing their infrastructure (ticketing, sponsorship, back office, stadium/game day ops). CSA gets young players developed for national team. small scale like usl (2000 fans a game). If you look at the CANMNT "B" team that played the US last week, most of those guys play USL/NASL. the league would develop those type of guys, but you would be developing 3-4x as many.
    Last edited by Onyx; 02-11-2016 at 12:22 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not underestimate the cost of running an 18 squad team with the staff necessary in a league where travel will happen from at least Alberta to Ontario. They will lose money for the first 5 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    no way they are putting that much $ in. soccer team breaks even, they sell popcorn & beer. I bet CSA is putting $ in. its only a few cfl owners i believe involved. nhl owners as well.

i see the model being csa putting $ in, cfl/nhl clubs using existing their infrastructure (ticketing, sponsorship, back office, stadium/game day ops). CSA gets young players developed for national team. small scale like usl (2000 fans a game). If you look at the CANMNT "B" team that played the US last week, most of those guys play USL/NASL. the league would develop those type of guys, but you would be developing 3-4x as many.
    Based on what being said, there will be $2 million CDN salary cap then you include other expenses (academy which these teams are going to be setting up on their own dime and travel expenses) it's going to add up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I would not underestimate the cost of running an 18 squad team with the staff necessary in a league where travel will happen from at least Alberta to Ontario. They will lose money for the first 5 years.
    Front offices are already in place with CFL and NHL owners running the teams, so that is one cost you do not need to worry about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front offices are already in place with CFL and NHL owners running the teams, so that is one cost you do not need to worry about.
    Each on will need to take on several hundred thousand dollars or more in front office staff to run a soccer franchise. (GM, AGM, sales, ops etc)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Each on will need to take on several hundred thousand dollars or more in front office staff to run a soccer franchise. (GM, AGM, sales, ops etc)
    Teams already have sales, marketing, opperations staff in place so know need to that there. Calgary for instances already owns the Flames and Stamps. Ottawa is CFL, OHL plus they already being an NASL everything is in place. Its really just another product to sell so outside of a GM/Head coach plus his staff, travel everthing else from a general stand point is in place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teams already have sales, marketing, opperations staff in place so know need to that there. Calgary for instances already owns the Flames and Stamps. Ottawa is CFL, OHL plus they already being an NASL everything is in place. Its really just another product to sell so outside of a GM/Head coach plus his staff, travel everthing else from a general stand point is in place.
    If MLSE had to hire people for Argos ticketing etc i would imagine the others do as well. Very few organizations have the internal capacity to just absorb a new franchise's internal needs, especially since it is a completely different sport/market segment.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The time spent on sales, marketing and ops for those teams is going to spread people thinner - there will be additional staff in sales, marketing and opps. They can't do both CFL and CPL at the same time - the jobs are a tad more intricate then that. There will be overlap but its not like CFL marketing staff will be able to drop their summer work.

GM/Coach

Assistants

Fitness Staff

18 players (I'm assuming a smaller roster)

This isn't going to be cheap. The labour budgets are going to be in the millions.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-11-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How on earth does NBC have more say about where these games are played than Rogers? Rogers pays almost twice as much for TV rights as NBC does, and are part owner in the Leafs, yet they still can't lobby for an all-star game and winter classic as well as NBC can?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    How on earth does NBC have more say about where these games are played than Rogers? Rogers pays almost twice as much for TV rights as NBC does, and are part owner in the Leafs, yet they still can't lobby for an all-star game and winter classic as well as NBC can?
    Well its more like 2.5+ times what NBC pays but my guess would be that the NHL sees room for growth in the next contract with NBC where they probably don't see nearly as much with rogers.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well regardless of how it goes down at BMO, nothing is going to ever replace my favorite out door game of all-time.

It looks like 2 could carry this outside onto a driveway...