Page 13 of 197 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    IMO, if they go with a system like this, they should just extend the grass field all the way to back of the endzones. Roll out the stands just before TFC games. That way if there is any issues with grass they could just transplant some in house.

Just a thought anyways.
    This is the show of no-faith that those involved have with grass standing up to groundshare. There's been no talk of this possibility for over a year. If this goes ahead it looks like they think Desso is good enough.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
    You can like both, just like the Argos and TFC.
    That's exactly how I meant it. No dig intended, I love em both, too.

I hear you, being a fan of both teams I hear the arguments from both sides. If the York Stadium deal wasn't squandered TFC would probably be playing out of the Argos stadium. Like I said, I just hope everything works out of both teams.
    Amen.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    This is the show of no-faith that those involved have with grass standing up to groundshare. There's been no talk of this possibility for over a year. If this goes ahead it looks like they think Desso is good enough.
    Well, I'm talking about any issue with the grass, should the grass get diseased, burned, dead. Not just anything related with football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The weight of the stands is still going to kill the at the points of contact, the lack of sunlight means the seats have to be pushed back as their default location.

That and it has been stated that it would be a turf endzones over concrete

I'm going to trust the guys with the engineering degrees.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    The weight of the stands is still going to kill the at the points of contact, the lack of sunlight means the seats have to be pushed back as their default location.

That and it has been stated that it would be a turf endzones over concrete

I'm going to trust the guys with the engineering degrees.
    Would you like to see my diploma ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It just kills me we have the Pan Am games coming to Toronto a perfect opportunity for the Argos to have tried to piggy back a stadium out of it somehow and York would have been the perfect site especially with the subway going right in there, its almost a better site than BMO public transportation wise, they are building a temporary 12000 or so seat stadium why could the Argos not have worked out a deal to get a 20 000 seat permanent stadium, instead no no no, lets fuckup the soccer guys and get into BMO that's all this is, just a fucken joke!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    It just kills me we have the Pan Am games coming to Toronto a perfect opportunity for the Argos to have tried to piggy back a stadium out of it somehow and York would have been the perfect site especially with the subway going right in there, its almost a better site than BMO public transportation wise, they are building a temporary 12000 or so seat stadium why could the Argos not have worked out a deal to get a 20 000 seat permanent stadium, instead no no no, lets fuckup the soccer guys and get into BMO that's all this is, just a fucken joke!
    Either York U people don't trust Argos/CFL to do business with after how they ditch York U and Canadian soccer people in the last minute to sign rent free deal with Rogers to play at Rogers Centre OR Argos/CFL probably didn't want to invest any money into York stadium to get Argos there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Retractable seating over grass does work - check this video from about 1:00 in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mbBJlFp6q0

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pan Am no doubt helped Tim Hortons and York University stadium get built.

York will be 12,500. I don't see why it couldn't have been doubled.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 03-18-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

York only has 3,500 permanent seats. They are bringing in a shit-ton for the games

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    York only has 3,500 permanent seats. They are bringing in a shit-ton for the games
    Are they complete construction/ using the new stands already?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow not bad at all not good enough for the Argos eh add a few more seats and voila, but no they have to come and bust our balls because it's just the way it is, what a joke!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you like to see my diploma ?

Well you show me the math on the exact model they plan on using based on the survey and reports of BMO Field and the effects of the weight on the Grass (Deso) (and the drainage system underneath) and the cost effectiveness of that opposed to putting in Concrete and using Turf. And that there is no significant engineering or environmental issues on that both the short and long term costs are equal or in favour of Grass. (including increased ground crew work having to cut and repair those sections from damage)

Not to mention the effect on ticket sales for TFC when those seat lock up and you have to bring in temporary seats.

So if you want to claim an Engineering Degree makes you more qualified then the team of people that came up with the plan... show your work...

Redcoat - I'm purely calling out the claim.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non Permanent seats can become permanent really quickly.

With a few million $. Which is why its not going to be done for the Argos. It probably still could if the right ownership group came in. But BMO is cheaper and has more potential then a York stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are they complete construction/ using the new stands already?
    Pretty sure it is complete - they are waiting to lay down the track and natural turf infield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Wow not bad at all not good enough for the Argos eh add a few more seats and voila, but no they have to come and bust our balls because it's just the way it is, what a joke!
    Not only that but a BRAND NEW subway station is within a stones throw away.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well you show me the math on the exact model they plan on using based on the survey and reports of BMO Field and the effects of the weight on the Grass (Deso) (and the drainage system underneath) and the cost effectiveness of that opposed to putting in Concrete and using Turf. And that there is no significant engineering or environmental issues on that both the short and long term costs are equal or in favour of Grass. (including increased ground crew work having to cut and repair those sections from damage)

Not to mention the effect on ticket sales for TFC when those seat lock up and you have to bring in temporary seats.

So if you want to claim an Engineering Degree makes you more qualified then the team of people that came up with the plan... show your work...

That's fine but I personally don't care what they put under the stands for gridiron. I don't believe either will take the damage of play. Grass is likely to damage. They know this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I have seen , most Argo attenders drive.

Can't take the subway to Ajax.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

I suppose, but they do take GO transit. Try going to Yorkdale on a Leafs or Blue Jays gameday, 905ers all over the place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non Permanent seats can become permanent really quickly.

With a few million $. Which is why its not going to be done for the Argos. It probably still could if the right ownership group came in. But BMO is cheaper and has more potential then a York stadium.
    Sure - seats can.

But then you have all the washrooms, concessions, changing rooms etc that shoot that cost up

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A) I never said I was more qualified than other engineers. I merely provided a proof of concept. And provided examples on how it could work. Don't put words in my mouth.
    B) I've already proven it's possible based on loads other stadiums handle during concerts (something you have yet to discredit)
    C) posted above video shows proof of how telescopic seating can work over grass
    D) if you want to see my work, you are going to have to pay for it, my time isn't free.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

407 & 400?? That's a pretty big couple of arteries to get there. They blew it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bottom line is York don't want a football stadium there. They would have to put artificial turf down for the Argos to play in the track stadium - even if it could be expanded.

Putting artificial turf down will kill the facility as a track venue because there is no IAAF approved artificial turf for javelins etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys,
    Theres a lot of tension in this thread. It's a sensitive topic for everybody, but let's stop it with the little jabs at each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's fine but I personally don't care what they put under the stands for gridiron. I don't believe either will take the damage of play. Grass is likely to damage. They know this.
    I'm going to step away... I know my short coming and I just don't see it worth it.. it isn't a done deal and this is pointless. And I have better things to do, then go through every point in that matter... I did it with Bio Chemistry years ago.. it is just a giant waste of time.
    Last edited by Kaz; 03-18-2015 at 03:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whilst it works for natural turf (with admittedly a different type of retractable seating) - I have a feeling that it might be artificial turf

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Not only that but a BRAND NEW subway station is within a stones throw away.
    Not to mention a real man cave (although it has recently been filled in).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Retractable seating over grass does work - check this video from about 1:00 in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mbBJlFp6q0

argos have already mentioned they are likely going with field turf endzones like the stadium in moncton so they can have onfield advertising.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never seen so much non-sense.

Again, blaming Ticats and the Bombers for design issues. Jeepers. The season ticket drop in Ottawa was foreseeable, Yet your criticizing an 80% renewal rate after a 2-16 season.

No offense, TFC has been saved from much worse drops by bringing in grass, going back to year 1 pricing, signing Dafoe, and now they the curiosity factor by an upgraded stadium. How long can MLSE continue this flash in the pan?

TV Numbers and studies have proved the support is there for those who watch the CFL in Toronto. 22% of respondents in Toronto said they follow the CFL, Comparable to Quebec

http://www.reginaldbibby.com/images/...ov_21_2013.pdf

TSN renewed the CFL Contract BEFORE the NHL rights were awarded (March 2013 for CFL Deal, November 2013 for NHL deal) so 'losing' the NHL contract had absolutely nothing to do with it. TSN owned the Argos for one whole year. To me, I actually like the idea of keeping the media out of the sports ownership business, way less journalist bias. Have you ever tried to watch SportsNet during BlueJays season? Blah!

When you focus on the negatives, it gets really hard to see all the positives the league has accomplished, especially in the east. One challenge remains.

"he" did not receive any government grants for the 2012 Grey Cup. That all went into the festival. When you say it like that you make it sound as if the government directly gave him the money, You do realize that after these types of grants are given that the financial statement oh how this money was spent has to be sent back to the Government of Canada/Ontario? If you want to know how it was spent just do a freedom of information request.

Your Ricky Ray conspiracy theory is laughable, given at the time the GM (Eric Tillman) had a repeat history of trading away star QB's for Canadian depth. Kerry Joesph wins the Grey Cup 2007 and then is traded to Toronto. Who was the GM of the Riders? Eric Tillman. There's no conspiracy theory with that trade because Kerry was garbage here.

You also want to talk about "scams" how about when MLSE flipped the naming rights for the stadium to BMO for a $17m profit. Because of this, now many naming rights agreements force a 50/50 split with city/operator (as with TD place) Now with the naming rights coming up again, MLSE is investing in the stadium.

How come we haven't seen any sense of vision and direction or commitment of money from Braley to get the Argos a proper home? You can also slap that charge on the CFL itself, because they've clearly been in close co-operation with everything going on with the Argos.

Do you get paid to monitor the net and spread linament over all the Argos ugly bits? 'Cause you are active.

It was interesting to hear the new CFL commissioner talk about the need to generate new revenue streams. Even he knows what a fine line the CFL is walking. The most logical choice of revenue acquisition is to get more sponsors.

How come the Argos don't do business with Core Media? They are a neat little boutique commercial agency that does some very strategic work for many sports entities. They sell advertising - in-arena, editorial and broadcast. They do the game programs for the Jays, Leafs, Raptors, Toronto FC and the Ottawa Senators. They do outstanding work and have done so for years. They're a huge asset in directing commercial activity.

They're not involved with the Argos. Had one brief, unpleasant experience with them and said goodbye. One of their principals told me he'd never deal with them again. If there's a buck to be made bringing corporate and sporting clients together, these are the people to do it and they aren't interested in the CFL.

As for the NHL hockey deal, one need only look to where TV exec and hockey business weathervane John Shannon took his seat in the years prior to Rogers winning their 12-year deal. Everyone in the biz knew what was coming down, including TSN. That's why they moved early.

You can make all the excuses you want about the CFL but after all these many years, they still can't get it right. You can say they have no responsibility for the stadium problems we're seeing, but any club who is going to be a prime tenant in a facility of that magnitude has a duty and a care to seeing things go right. But this is where the CFL comes acropper.

The league has operated for so long either living on skin-thin profit margins, in red ink or outright receivership that it has to have a bearing on the calibre of people who get hired. It's kind of like that 'beggars-can't-be-choosers' thing. You mentioned Eric Tillman - hey, who knew about his lifestyle habits? Properly resourced and, quite frankly, less desperate clubs don't hire people like that.

One can only conclude that similar weaknesses exist within other clubs regarding oversight of the construction of their stadia.

This Ottawa situation isn't foreesable because of a 2-16 season. It's foreseeable because some good marketing people pumped every tire available to them to get bums on seats. Now that they've seen the bums on the field, this is the response. It will be worse next year.

Ottawa isn't a football town. The game's gone bankrupt twice there and will happen again. Family and friends all over Ottawa tell me they aren't giving up their ski passes to Edelweiss or Cascade nor green fees at Rivermead or July Bluesfest tickets to re-live that slow slide into oblivion.

You bring up the fact that the Beem is a city owned stadium. True, but again, in seeking to move in there, where are the Argos really going? From one second-string tenancy to another second-string tenancy that will not end well.

Instead of presenting ideas and suggestions for what might work elsewhere, the Argos and their fans are clinging like quivering barnacles to the hull of the first rescue vessel that floats by. I guess that's what decades of financial chaos, mismanagement and a shrivelling fan base will do for you.

If any club has been helped by moving into a "smaller, more football friendly stadium" then it would be Montreal. Of course, it only cost Montreal taxpayers $25 million to make it more football friendly. But at least it's their own stadium and they can properly celebrate their history and the sport there because they don't share that with a soccer team. That's the ideal situation and one we need to emulate here in Toronto.

Spending money on soccer at BMO Field is a sound investment. The game has grown massively and will only continue to do so. Federal immigration policies alone will ensure that. But first-hand evidence can be seen any weekday night from mid-April to mid-September, driving past parks like Lamoureux, McLevin, the Ashtonbee Reservoir, Esther Shiner, Earlscourt, Eglinton Flats, Centennial and countless others. There, you will see scores of kids of every age and ethnicity playing soccer, cheered on by parents who, if they aren't talking their kids soccer, they're talking every other kind of soccer.

That's what smart money sees and that's where smart money, and the smart people it attracts, is going. That's what MLSE saw when they looked through an in-house study not too many years back, trying to assess how to market hockey to a changing demographic.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 03-18-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like Canary10, you're living in the past. Those are not realistic options for the Argos at this time. A large investment of taxpayer money would be required and I don't see that coming in anytime soon. BMO Field only requires $10M dollars.
    The footprint of Varsity makes a CFL expansion totally impossible so even with an infusion of money, it can't be done. Also, the neighbours don't want it there.

York is another kettle of fish as there is a lot of available space. It could be done IF the money could be found. It would mean building a whole new stadium though as after the Pan-Ams are done and over with, almost all of the temp stands will be removed and what will be left is a facility seating 5000.