Page 127 of 197 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131137177 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,810 of 5892
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Saw this last month. Dude can't even troll properly.

Jerks exist on twitter but that doesn't mean people need to publicize them.
    I love the fact that one of the people he's following is Jim Flaherty. Who's dead.

Another summer of hope!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    I was told that Larry, or whoever, is paying to have 3 "back-up" pitches ready at all times. (essentially a sod farm)
    so if by chance, the argos happen to play in 3 monsoon level games in 2016, BMO field has 3 pristine grass pitches to be harvested immediately and shipped down to BMO.

TFC should be shouting this from the rooftops.
    if people knew that they are that committed, people would be put at ease.
    Very interesting -- and it's strange that stuff like this isn't being publicized. On the flip side, I wouldn't be be surprised if they renege a bit based on our past experiences. (Maybe it's only 1 or 2 backup pitches in the end...?)

In any case, this worries me a bit. For example, normally with a top-quality sod installation, they are pretty careful with the conditions at both the harvesting & the installation site. If they have to do a complete pitch replacement on short notice after the Argos destroy the field, the conditions might not be great at either end. (Incredibly hot -- or ongoing very heavy rain for example.) That will affect the results.

Plus I've seen all kinds of bad sod installation & patch jobs over the years -- here and elsewhere. E.g. I remember when they installed the base for the rugby goals at BMO field a few years ago, and then patched the grass over those. The patches looked awful, and there were bad edges for week.

I've also seen bumpy pitches & torn up edges in different cities, when grass fields are replaced on short notice. Happened at the Philly stadium recently -- and actually contributed to a goal during the next soccer game.

In any case, I think what is very likely day-to-day is general muddiness & bumpiness, w/o the pitch really being destroyed enough to warrant replacement. Plus all of this is a test until August approx. What's Plan B if this test doesn't work????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Miko View Post
    I love the fact that one of the people he's following is Jim Flaherty. Who's dead.

Whoever tfcbhoy01 is, he fell right into the trap and made an ass of himself.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Very interesting -- and it's strange that stuff like this isn't being publicized. On the flip side, I wouldn't be be surprised if they renege a bit based on our past experiences. (Maybe it's only 1 or 2 backup pitches in the end...?)

In any case, this worries me a bit. For example, normally with a top-quality sod installation, they are pretty careful with the conditions at both the harvesting & the installation site. If they have to do a complete pitch replacement on short notice after the Argos destroy the field, the conditions might not be great at either end. (Incredibly hot -- or ongoing very heavy rain for example.) That will affect the results.

Plus I've seen all kinds of bad sod installation & patch jobs over the years -- here and elsewhere. E.g. I remember when they installed the base for the rugby goals at BMO field a few years ago, and then patched the grass over those. The patches looked awful, and there were bad edges for week.

I've also seen bumpy pitches & torn up edges in different cities, when grass fields are replaced on short notice. Happened at the Philly stadium recently -- and actually contributed to a goal during the next soccer game.

In any case, I think what is very likely day-to-day is general muddiness & bumpiness, w/o the pitch really being destroyed enough to warrant replacement. Plus all of this is a test until August approx. What's Plan B if this test doesn't work????
    Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    ... this August when they look at the state of the pitch and decide whether or not to replace it fully (Grass for more grass).
    Grass till August and then they'll see IF they need to re sod it entirely (probable). They will not be entertaining using anything but grass this season.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

September is the REAL test. We only have 2 games at home in August.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post

September is the REAL test. We only have 2 games at home in August.
    Well...3 plus the 2 Argos games and hopefully a CCL match. But end of Aug is the "halfway point" they've chose to do the sod swap out.

Last year had dates Aug 4/5/6, 18/19/20.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 01-14-2016 at 09:54 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was interesting to read that Toronto is still in mind for a NFL franchise:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/top...025847559.html

About a year ago, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell wasn't doing anything to dispel the notion that Toronto remained a target for the NFL. During his annual press conference, and as a follow-up to the Bills purchase by Terry Pegula, he discussed Toronto as a franchise site. This from a CBS Sports report:

There was also talk before the Bills were purchased by Buffalo Sabres owners Terry and Kim Pegula that the team might move to Toronto. Those talks have quieted down as the Pegulas are firmly committed to Buffalo, but the idea of a team in Toronto or elsewhere in Canada is not dead. The Pegulas, though, do not see it as affecting the Bills all that much.

"Terry's exactly right," Goodell said. "It was asked during the process. He doesn't see that as an issue for him. His focus is on Buffalo and creating a solution long term with a franchise that represents that region. He's incredibly focused on that and not Toronto. Toronto's an important market but all of Canada is and Mexico.

You look at the stadium situation in Toronto and the Argos are now nicely housed at BMO Field and the CFL can smile about being able to host Greh Cup games there in future. Enough money will be generated by the Cup games that the Argos should lose less money there than at the dome.

If you're Larry Tanenbaum, you've just gone off with one half of the MLSE ownership and set up a deal to cover off the CFL in Toronto. What's to stop this crafty operator from going off with the other half of MLSE ownership - Rogers - to set up a deal to get the NFL into Toronto? The road to even greater riches has cleared and if we know one thing about MLSE, they pilot their Bulgemobiles down both sides of that road.

True, there isn't a good enough stadium here yet that can properly house a NFL franchise in the long term. That didn't stop the Rams from moving to LA. They'll play in the cavernous Coliseum until the Inglewood stadium is ready. But if Toronto were to somehow acquire a NFL team, the Rogers Centre would be a more-than-adequate short term home.

The Argos have very conveniently left the premises. And some wonder why Rogers are dragging their feet on putting grass in at the dome.

One would assume that if a NFL deal were done in Toronto, Rogers interests would somehow be the principal stakeholders. What's in it for Larry Tanenbaum? He enjoys pouring concrete. He got to do a fair bit of it in the construction of Pan Am games facilities. A new stadium build would let him pour concrete to his heart's delight.

If there was no chance that the NFL was interested in Toronto, Roger Goodell could have poured cold water all over it not so long ago. He could also had influential owners like Jerry Jones refrain from making any supportive comments about Toronto. The exact opposite has happened. If there is any traction to these NFL-in-Toronto notions, the Argos are about to become an even smaller afterthought in the Toronto sports landscape.

Nothing like a nice slice of conspiracy theory to go along with my breakfast eggs and blood pudding. Let's not fret too hard or too long on the Argos, eh?
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 01-14-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NFL without tailgating is like soccer without supporters.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Let's not fret too hard or too long on the Argos, eh?
    The Argos are more than a conspiracy. The NFL coming to Toronto may help us return to our former stadium situation which would be favourable but at this point is still pie in the sky talk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Argos are more than a conspiracy. The NFL coming to Toronto may help us return to our former stadium situation which would be favourable but at this point is still pie in the sky talk.
    I'm not sure they would move them into an NFL stadium... the argos in a 70,000 seat stadium would look like TFC 2 playing at BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    I'm not sure they would move them into an NFL stadium... the argos in a 70,000 seat stadium would look like TFC 2 playing at BMO.
    since when have the argos given a shit about atmosphere?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    since when have the argos given a shit about atmosphere?
    isn't that part of their grand and glorious revival at bmo... to create a sea of grey haired old guys in the crowd until it gets a little chilly out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

isn't that part of their grand and glorious revival at bmo... to create a sea of grey haired old guys in the crowd until it gets a little chilly out.
    BMO is primarily about convenience for them. The fact that is a more intimate setting is an afterthought.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    BMO is primarily about convenience for them. The fact that is a more intimate setting is an afterthought.
    If by Convenience you mean available, yes.

If you mean getting to the stadium, no.

Argo fans getting to BMO are in for a bit of a discovery time. No direct streetcar this year and parking that is expensive and difficult to get to. Maybe they will pack out local bars but there is little to no history of pregame festivities for that team. I can see TSN/LT connecting with the Brazen Head to create an official pregame party place.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto is floated as an NFL destination like Quebec city or 2nd toronto NHL team.
    it is there as a threat to local groups that don't cave on issues like stadium financing.
    "Give us a sweet heart deal using public funds...or else we'll move to Toronto...they want us there"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If by Convenience you mean available, yes.

If you mean getting to the stadium, no.

Argo fans getting to BMO are in for a bit of a discovery time. No direct streetcar this year and parking that is expensive and difficult to get to. Maybe they will pack out local bars but there is little to no history of pregame festivities for that team. I can see TSN/LT connecting with the Brazen Head to create an official pregame party place.
    Yea, I meant available.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, for a little malicious fun, TFC fans should just pack the place on an Argo game day, ordering draft beer schpritzers, and abuse the hell out of CFL fans. A couple of game days with that routine would throw a monkey wrench into the works. On the whole, TFC fans are younger, smarter, more emotional and more committed. Make that work.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto is floated as an NFL destination like Quebec city or 2nd toronto NHL team.
    it is there as a threat to local groups that don't cave on issues like stadium financing.
    "Give us a sweet heart deal using public funds...or else we'll move to Toronto...they want us there"
    Well, the LA threat was there forever. Finally came good. It still lingers. Part of what makes the notion of a Toronto NFL team viable is that Tanenbaum et al played the stalking horse to get Pegula to bid a number that was acceptable to his fellow lodge members among NFL owners. None of them were happy about seeing the Buffalo bid potentially drop below $900 million, which might have hurt the net worth of many franchises. That certainly would have been the outcome had the Toronto group not upped the ante. It's a favour that will be paid back.

I deal with people involved in commercial and advertising aspects of sport. There has been recent, low-key consultation about the NFL/Toronto situation becoming re-engaged and to stay prepared. Remember, the Argos have left the building and the Jays are nowhere near getting real grass.

Woodward and Bernstein were advised to 'follow the money' to get Nixon. This deal goes beyond following money. It's also about following ego.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 01-14-2016 at 02:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the LA threat was there forever. Finally came good. It still lingers. Part of what makes the notion of a Toronto NFL team viable is that Tanenbaum et al played the stalking horse to get Pegula to bid a number that was acceptable to his fellow lodge members among NFL owners. None of them were happy about seeing the Buffalo bid potentially drop below $900 million, which might have hurt the net worth of many franchises. That certainly would have been the outcome had the Toronto group not upped the ante. It's a favour that will be paid back.

I deal with people involved in commercial and advertising aspects of sport. There has been recent, low-key consultation about the NFL/Toronto situation becoming re-engaged and to stay prepared. Remember, the Argos have left the building and the Jays are nowhere near getting real grass.

Woodward and Bernstein were advised to 'follow the money' to get Nixon. This deal goes beyond following money. It's also about following ego.
    So, what's the timeline? Just ballpark (pardon the pun), when can we expect an NFL team in Toronto?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see why Rogers Centre would be any more possible for NFL than before. If that's the case or not it won't happen this year. Not really concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    So, what's the timeline? Just ballpark (pardon the pun), when can we expect an NFL team in Toronto?
    Haha I knew invoking NFL talk would make you appear.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 01-14-2016 at 02:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see why Rogers Centre would be any more possible for NFL than before. If that's the case or not it won't happen this year. Not really concerned.

Haha I knew invoking NFL talk would make you appear.
    I've been promised a team since the Toronto Northmen of the WFL had to become the Memphis Southmen. And with all these famous guys dying I'm feeling very mortal and worried I may not live to see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The NFL will only come to Toronto after we build a premium stadium we don't need for the something like the Olympics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WC 2026 bid tied into a stadium build has been the only thing that had made me think it could happen.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WC 2026 bid tied into a stadium build has been the only thing that had made me think it could happen.
    We'll have started and closed several threads on the topic by then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

isnt it easier to share NFL with Baseball due to the timing?

#skydomeRebuild

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't always agree with Bob McCowan.

the NFL is never coming to Canada.
    I love the NFL.

but...why would the NFL allow one of their 16 markets (in the AFC or NFC package) leave?

LA is sorted out.

CBS/Fox pay crazy amounts for their packages.
    Say CTV gets the rights to the NFL franchise in toronto.
    the max they could squeeze out of Canadians for revenue/ads/etc....wouldn't be 1/16th of the price of what CBS/Fox pay for their conference packages.
    the NFL would be better off going to some smaller market like Portland, Salt Lake, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, for a little malicious fun, TFC fans should just pack the place on an Argo game day, ordering draft beer schpritzers, and abuse the hell out of CFL fans. A couple of game days with that routine would throw a monkey wrench into the works. On the whole, TFC fans are younger, smarter, more emotional and more committed. Make that work.
    This is one of the stupidest things I've read on this board. How anyone would condone this as a good idea I don't know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the NFL.

but...why would the NFL allow one of their 16 markets (in the AFC or NFC package) leave?

LA is sorted out.

the max they could squeeze out of Canadians for revenue/ads/etc....wouldn't be 1/16th of the price of what CBS/Fox pay for their conference packages.
    the NFL would be better off going to some smaller market like Portland, Salt Lake, etc.
    I so agree with this, it can't be said enough. When you find a quote from Goodell regarding Toronto, he is covering his butt and is aware that CTV pays 15 million a year for Canadian NFL TV rights. Goodell is enough of a politician to say nice things about Toronto's potential. But that is all it is, nice talk.

Now try to find me a quote from NBC/CBS/Fox/ESPN(ABC) heads saying nice things about Toronto as a NFL destination? Between them they pay the billions that Goodell knows makes the NFL planet spin. CTV could boost their NFL payment ten-fold and it still won't make a dent in the towering importance of US tv to NFL.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the NFL.

LA is sorted out.

Franchise value is what drives the owners motives these days. That's why Tannenbaum's group were bidding on the Bills. Just to help sustain franchise value on behalf of the league. They knew, as we all did, the Bills would stay in Buffalo. The payback will be a team here soon.

The TV money will be there even if Toronto joins. But a Toronto franchise would have far greater value than Portland, Salt Lake, OK City, San Antonio(now there's a dead end) or even St. Louis.

Plus the NFL wants to expand internationally. Toronto is even simpler to accommodate than London. And London is getting a team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This pretty much sums up Toronto's NFL chances right now:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/footba...ding-fast.html
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)