Page 124 of 197 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,720 of 5892
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    It's always in Hamilton isn't it?
    A few years ago it wasn't and there was hell to pay for it. Ticat fans care more about the Labour Day game then they do the Grey Cup (mostly because we don't win the Grey Cup even when we are there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    A few years ago it wasn't and there was hell to pay for it. Ticat fans care more about the Labour Day game then they do the Grey Cup (mostly because we don't win the Grey Cup even when we are there)
    That was due to them playing in Guelph that year while the new stadium was being built. Business as usual now, Hamilton always hosts. That's one weekend the CFL will not be needing BMO.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would it shock anyone to see this game shifted to Toronto just for the controversy it would stir up? In the hopes of generating greater coverage and awareness.

The Labor Day game is the single greatest day of the year in Hamilton, where common (mis-)perception is that people in Toronto are all melancholy the weeks after the Argos lose this game. Unless you stumble across Lance Brown's smug sportscast or TSN's marathon coverage, most people in the 416 probably didn't even know the game was played.

I have no idea of who won last year's tilt or what the score was. I had to rack my brain to recall who won this year's Grey Cup. Breakfast conversation with the boy was all about last night's savage NFL game in Cincinnati and what the Browns can get for Manziel.

The CFL can't attract an avid football follower to games on his doorstep but he took in three NFL games this year in Cleveland and Buffalo. Football's got a decent following here in Leaside, and a good high school scene with rivals like East York and Northern, but all the kids talk about - have ever talked about - is NFL.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 01-10-2016 at 10:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Would it shock anyone to see this game shifted to Toronto just for the controversy it would stir up? In the hopes of generating greater coverage and awareness.

The Labor Day game is the single greatest day of the year in Hamilton, where common (mis-)perception is that people in Toronto are all melancholy the weeks after the Argos lose this game. Unless you stumble across Lance Brown's smug sportscast or TSN's marathon coverage, most people in the 416 probably didn't even know the game was played.

I have no idea of who won last year's tilt or what the score was. I had to rack my brain to recall who won this year's Grey Cup. Breakfast conversation with the boy was all about last night's savage NFL game in Cincinnati and what the Browns can get for Manziel.

The CFL can't attract an avid football follower to games on his doorstep but he took in three NFL games this year in Cleveland and Buffalo. Football's got a decent following here in Leaside, and a good high school scene with rivals like East York and Northern, but all the kids talk about - have ever talked about - is NFL.
    Its like trying to get my soccer buddies to watch MLS. it premiership and champions league, even copa america and MX ... they would never watch MLS.
    Everyone where's barca and manu jerseys at youth soccer, no one wears tfc.
    Same issue ... talked about over and over and over and over on this forum. i thought this thread was closed.
    Last edited by Onyx; 01-10-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    Its like trying to get my soccer buddies to watch MLS. it premiership and champions league, even copa america and MX ... they would never watch MLS.
    Everyone where's barca and manu jerseys at youth soccer, no one wears tfc.
    Same issue ... talked about over and over and over and over on this forum.
    The gap's not nearly as big though. A lot of buzz has been built up over the last 2 years and and it wasn't hard to walk around and see people in TFC gear all over the city. It was very noticeable to me over the course of last season how many people I knew who I wouldn't think would pay much attention to us or even the sport, but they knew we'd won our last game or were doing well and were gonna make the playoffs for the first time. Now that we're good, the sky's the limit.

you could probably count on two hands how many people live inside the 416 who know the Argos record from last season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    The gap's not nearly as big though. A lot of buzz has been built up over the last 2 years and and it wasn't hard to walk around and see people in TFC gear all over the city. It was very noticeable to me over the course of last season how many people I knew who I wouldn't think would pay much attention to us or even the sport, but they knew we'd won our last game or were doing well and were gonna make the playoffs for the first time. Now that we're good, the sky's the limit.

you could probably count on two hands how many people live inside the 416 who know the Argos record from last season.
    i've never seen anyone in the city wearing TFC gear if it was not by the stadium on gameday.
    The only one who wears TFC gear at youth soccer is me. Everyone else its european clubs.
    i'm just saying its the same issue maybe worst for TFC.

My experience is most football fans like both the CFL & NFL and usually have a favourite team in each league (ticats/bills or argos/lions, etc)
    My experience is most soccer fans its european clubs and thats it ... and treat MLS like non-league/county football
    Last edited by Onyx; 01-10-2016 at 12:28 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    i've never seen anyone in the city wearing TFC gear if it was not by the stadium on gameday.
    The only one who wears TFC gear at youth soccer is me. Everyone else its european clubs.
    i'm just saying its the same issue maybe worst for TFC.

My experience is most football fans like both the CFL & NFL and usually have a favourite team in each league (ticats/bills or argos/lions, etc)
    My experience is most soccer fans its european clubs and thats it ... and treat MLS like non-league/county football
    Everyone's mileage will vary, but I do get to see some TFC gear downtown, usually a hat or a scarf. Probably almost as much as I see NFL gear.
    I know many NFL fans that would rather gouge their eyes out than watch a CFL game.

Your last part is something I wish wasn't the case, but it is. However, the number of 2nd and 3rd generation Canadians that I've spoken to are beginning to become curious about MLS. All that's needed is a little bit of an open mind. The closed minded ones are a lost cause.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever gear we notice involves confirmation bias.

I also doubt that most people I see with Barca gear on even now they played yesterday.

Regardless, the potential for TFC is WAAAY bigger then for the Argos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever gear we notice involves confirmation bias.

I also doubt that most people I see with Barca gear on even now they played yesterday.

Regardless, the potential for TFC is WAAAY bigger then for the Argos.
    Sure, but it depends on how successful MLS is in the US. We tend to treat it as inevitable that MLS will become a major draw, but there's no guarantee it will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Sure, but it depends on how successful MLS is in the US. We tend to treat it as inevitable that MLS will become a major draw, but there's no guarantee it will.
    but all indicators point to it becoming a major draw. it's highly unlikely that the league stagnates any time soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS will become at least a top 3 league in our lifetimes, infact it will happen sooner rather than later.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    MLS will become at least a top 3 league in our lifetimes, infact it will happen sooner rather than later.
    This goes on all the time in the TV ratings threads. It is absurd.

NHL spends $60M on each team's payroll on average. NBA teams spend similar.

MLS average team spends $7M.

People aren't idiots. When MLS teams start putting $60M worth of talent on the field, we can have this conversation
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but all indicators point to it becoming a major draw. it's highly unlikely that the league stagnates any time soon.
    Sure it might. It doesn't make any difference to me, I don't care if iMLS is always the 'CFL of North America,' so to speak.

Anyway, we won't really know until the expansion is done and the league stabilizes.

MLB, NFL, NBA and college sports aren't going to get any smaller, though, so the market has to get bigger to include one more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLB, NFL, NBA and college sports aren't going to get any smaller, though, so the market has to get bigger to include one more.
    It's entirely possible that Baseball and Football get smaller. probable, even

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's entirely possible that Baseball and Football get smaller. probable, even
    People have been predicting the demise of baseball since the 1970s. Sure, it could happen, and there is some concern that lawsuits over concussions will have a big effect on American football, but if Vegas was giving odds, I'd put money on the Great American Pastime and the NFL to stay #1 and #2 for at least the next thirty years.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

People aren't idiots. When MLS teams start putting $60M worth of talent on the field, we can have this conversation

Yup.
    MLS is at best, a second tier league. Not sure why people are adamant about saying it's more than that.
    the best players in the world don't come here in droves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People have been predicting the demise of baseball since the 1970s. Sure, it could happen, and there is some concern that lawsuits over concussions will have a big effect on American football, but if Vegas was giving odds, I'd put money on the Great American Pastime and the NFL to stay #1 and #2 for at least the next thirty years.
    that's fair enough I suppose. I think the major change in demographics we're going to get in the U.S. and Canada over the next half century will significantly change this, but by how much it's hard to say. That coupled with the passing on of a significant amount of baseball's fan base and the dwindling participation rates in football, I wouldn't say things are looking up for those two sports in terms of market share.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The trajectory for the salary cap indicates these teams will be spending that 2016 $60 million within 15 years.

The revenue is rising at a rate that will support this curve.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The trajectory for the salary cap indicates these teams will be spending that 2016 $60 million within 15 years.

The revenue is rising at a rate that will support this curve.
    I work in an industry where people are constantly trying to push these kinds of analyses. You need a thesis if you want people to believe this, when MLS Cup currently draws less than ladies bingo on TV.

99 times out of 100, the math fails, the trend doesn't continue.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is debatable weather the NHL puts $60 in talent on the ice. They pay that kinda of Salary but it is debatable if players should be paid that, or if the revenues should be what they are. Most everything in pro sports is over priced... Beer to TV packages to the players them selves everything costs at least double what it should. MLS isn't there yet, which is nice.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work in an industry where people are constantly trying to push these kinds of analyses. You need a thesis if you want people to believe this, when MLS Cup currently draws less than ladies bingo on TV.

99 times out of 100, the math fails, the trend doesn't continue.
    Ur discussing ratings when I'm talking salary cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But they're connected, aren't they? If the revenue is only (or even mostly) gate receipts then there's a real limit on how much salaries can be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But they're connected, aren't they? If the revenue is only (or even mostly) gate receipts then there's a real limit on how much salaries can be.

ratings are going to be based on how much we spend as a league. If we spend more we get higher ratings and higher revenue. The owners know that and pretty much all of them are prepared to spend in some form or another. Current cba get's us to 2020 at which point we'll have at least 24 teams with a team in almost every major media market. That's when they'll blow the cap up in some form or another.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    It is debatable weather the NHL puts $60 in talent on the ice. They pay that kinda of Salary but it is debatable if players should be paid that, or if the revenues should be what they are. Most everything in pro sports is over priced... Beer to TV packages to the players them selves everything costs at least double what it should. MLS isn't there yet, which is nice.
    What..

This is not a moral argument. The next Ronaldos aren't going to come to MLS because they'll make what they "should" be making here.

Should anyone be paid millions of dollars to play sports? Honestly, probably not.

That has nothing to do with the amount of money required to attract the best in the world, or the amount of revenue they produce. There is no debate about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    What..

This is not a moral argument. The next Ronaldos aren't going to come to MLS because they'll make what they "should" be making here.

Should anyone be paid millions of dollars to play sports? Honestly, probably not.

That has nothing to do with the amount of money required to attract the best in the world, or the amount of revenue they produce. There is no debate about that.
    well the market dictates it as a viable business. If people are willing to pay it there's no reason they don't deserve it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am talking about the likelihood of a data set that has grown 30% or whatever a year over the past 5 years to $7M, continuing to grow 30% a year for the next 15 years, such that the actual number is 10x what it is today.

It's actually extremely rare in business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a stupid argument of course people should be paid millions to play sports.

They get paid based on the rarity of their skill set and the money they generate. If 25000 people wanted to come and watch me work a spreadsheet and i was the best at it in the world i would get paid millions as well but i don't because nobody has any desire to see what i do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ensco you have to remember it is a numbers game my friend. The over inflated salaries in the other North American sports are because there are limited numbers to choose from because very few countries play these sports. Soccer can recruit players from 200 countries. Supply and demand, very simple. It is also the reason why a 33 year old coming to play in MLS is considered by the critics as coming to a retirement league, but the 40 year old playing baseball, football or hockey is considered a god.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am talking about the likelihood of a data set that has grown 30% or whatever a year over the past 5 years to $7M, continuing to grow 30% a year for the next 15 years, such that the actual number is 10x what it is today.

It's actually extremely rare in business.

Hmm....I see that point.

This situation is a likely outlier cause there are markets paying that amount already both domestically in other sports and overseas in this sport in particular.

I wouldn't bet on it, but I do expect it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS will be considered a second tier league until the overall level of talent within the league is comparable to the top tier leagues in Europe. It might happen at some point, but at the rate the salary cap is increasing, it could be two generations of fans down the road.