Page 113 of 197 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,390 of 5892
    RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last update I had from Bob Hunter, Turf wasn't an option they are going for the grass field.

Its all pretty much worthless when dealing with this company though.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was this specific quote posted yet? Its from TSN:

"You get to see the players actually get dirty," he said. "You get to see a quarterback after he gets sacked with his helmet filled with a clump of grass. If it's a rainy game or if it's a snowy game, it adds so many different (variables) to the game that are pretty cool, (it's) truly Canadian football."

That's what we are afraid of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by troy1982 View Post
    I still rather be looking at this than an empty void

Agreed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your supposed to be looking at SEBA.... DON'T YOU LIKE SEBA?????????

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Is that going to work out as well as the "hybrid turf"?

Well done
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think the issue of what happens if TFC are hosting the Conference final is no biggie - they'll just play the MLS game on the Friday or even the Saturday. Everyone would be thrilled, MLSE most of all, with all the extra seats installed.

Re the surface, it is beyond discussing, we are roadkill here. It's not a question of sincerity. I believe they will sincerely try to make grass work, even with Leiweke gone. It either will or it won't. We all know it almost certainly won't, but so what. They'll put in the turf, and a couple of thousand TFC fans will be upset. Woop de doo.

Be interestng to see how many Leaf games they try to ram in right away, with those extra seats already installed for the Grey Cup. "The Centennial Series". Need to run a poll on that.

"interesting" ramming Leafs games. Indeed.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    It's fun to look back on this thread.

The Argos funding shortfall made up with grey cups. Ministry of Culture money found for the historic event even though no money is available. The natural parlay from grey cup to winter classic (announcement coming I am sure).

the script was written months if not years ago.

Sadly, I think the grass to turf is a script that is almost already written.
    "fun"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Last update I had from Bob Hunter, Turf wasn't an option they are going for the grass field.

Its all pretty much worthless when dealing with this company though.
    So I'll go one further and speculate they are going through these "replacing the grass midseason" motions to prove a point that artificial will "have to be the way to go". The grass is cheaper than hybrid so I unfortunately see what Pook sees above. Them skipping on the Desso to go straight to some multiplex surface with lines for tiddlywinks on it. Or some such thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

worst case scenario....

or

this...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    Was this specific quote posted yet? Its from TSN:

"You get to see the players actually get dirty," he said. "You get to see a quarterback after he gets sacked with his helmet filled with a clump of grass. If it's a rainy game or if it's a snowy game, it adds so many different (variables) to the game that are pretty cool, (it's) truly Canadian football."

That's what we are afraid of.
    Thanks for that quote! I'll keep it on file for when season ticket renewals roll in.

FYR, regardless of the cost of hybrid, they realized it's not a good option. You can't replace sections of hybrid like you can real grass. Just another unrealistic promise, not really thought through, while the company was distracted by new shiny baubles.

Does anyone remember the patchwork grass in the Philly stadium a few months ago, after they hosted some other events? I think that's what we can look forward to. TFC (& Argos) medical staff better keep Dr. James Andrews on speed dial.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CFL can't afford Dr. Andrews.

For Comparison.

CFL Salary cap (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_CFL_season)
    According to the new collective bargaining agreement, the 2015 salary cap will be set at $5,050,000. As per the agreement, the cap is fixed and will not vary with league revenue performance. The minimum team salary will be set at $4,450,000 with individual minimum salaries set at $51,000.[2]

TFC BASE Salaries:
    Altidore: $4,750,000
    Bradley: $6,000,000
    Giovinco: $5,600,000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can we interview the grass guy? get his take?

Robert Heggie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob won't give an honest take.
    he has to walk the company line.

just like how the players haven't said a word.
    I'm sure Bradley isn't excited about the idea that his field could be chewed up on a weekend like this one.

I wouldn't be shocked if Heggie has a clause in his contract that says he can't talk to the media.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Thanks for that quote! I'll keep it on file for when season ticket renewals roll in.

FYR, regardless of the cost of hybrid, they realized it's not a good option. You can't replace sections of hybrid like you can real grass. Just another unrealistic promise, not really thought through, while the company was distracted by new shiny baubles.

Does anyone remember the patchwork grass in the Philly stadium a few months ago, after they hosted some other events? I think that's what we can look forward to. TFC (& Argos) medical staff better keep Dr. James Andrews on speed dial.
    Don't know about extra events at Philly but they are sharing with a lacrosse team full time now and those are constant marks one can see on the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic, but if they consistently allot a week or more for the grass to recover before TFC games based on scheduling considerations, it might be feasible. Earlier this summer, my kids kicked the ball around in my backyard when the grass was still wet and tore it up pretty good, but it was almost back to normal within a week with no maintenance.

As for the lines on the pitch, I hope they have found a solution by now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post

"interesting" ramming Leafs games. Indeed.
    That is what this has always been about, from day one, imho
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE exec Dave Hopkinson says TFC fans needn’t worry. Although Major League Soccer hasn’t yet scheduled its 2016 p******s Hopkinson says a hypothetical title game in Toronto would take place well before the Grey Cup. “TFC is the primary tenant,” said Hopkinson, MLSE’s chief commercial officer. “You don’t get this far into the process without having done all your homework, and we’ve done all our homework.”

From an article in the star about the other thing.

Does this mean a scheduling change is on the way? Typical MLS cup game is early Dec, the other thing is scheduled for nov 27th.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Does this mean a scheduling change is on the way? Typical MLS cup game is early Dec, the other thing is scheduled for nov 27th.
    That appears to be clearly what the article says. Which I just noted in the thread about the Grey Cup at BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Either someone is talking shite or they've let the cat out of the bag. Someone from MLS HQ will be making a call to Bay St this afternoon...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    worst case scenario....

or

this...

That second pitch looks like a pitch from a video of my dad playing footie in Ireland in the 60's.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    MLSE exec Dave Hopkinson says TFC fans needn’t worry. Although Major League Soccer hasn’t yet scheduled its 2016 p******s Hopkinson says a hypothetical title game in Toronto would take place well before the Grey Cup. “TFC is the primary tenant,” said Hopkinson, MLSE’s chief commercial officer. “You don’t get this far into the process without having done all your homework, and we’ve done all our homework.”

From an article in the star about the other thing.

Ya, because they have always done their homework in the past with TFC lol

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GonfiaLaRete View Post
    Ya, because they have always done their homework in the past with TFC lol
    I feel I need to give them credit for one day turnaround from our voicing our concerns and satisfying them. I'd love to hear a real announcement about the surface plans, though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was actually optimistic about the hybrid holding up.
    Figured if it worked for the Green bay Packers, it would hold up for the Argos.
    If Tottenham and the EPL could play on it so could TFC.

The team has little control over the lines. That ship has sailed, with the Argos coming in, there will be faded lines or there wont be. We wont know until the games start.

But the playing surface should be something we continue to pressure them on. You know theyre just itching to go back to turf. The Argos likely prefer it (as every CFL team plays on it), it's cheaper, and it allows them to easily bring in additional non-sporting events, heck they may even bring back the winter bubble and rent the space out again.

It's ridiculous that we are watching the best TFC team we've ever had, and we have to constantly be reminded about this garbage.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Whether they have done their homework isn't the issue. It's how well they did it.

This script was clear to see from the outset. I look at my own posts in this thread where I took the approach of a business. It didn't sit well with some but this is a business making a business decision. Everything from Argos moving in to Public funds to Grey Cups to outdoor hockey was clear to many if you looked at this from a business perspective.

And like FYR, I don't think grass makes sense from a business perspective. It's too costly to maintain.

And from speaking to the Man United rep on a stadium tour I took in July of this year, Desso is costly to repair on a patch basis, so they reseed between games. This is one of the richest clubs in the world. And they have opted to reseed between games as the economics suggest that is the best way to do it.

So if grass fails... and we all know it is likely to with the rain and crap weather. Desso is an alternative but an expensive one.

The logical choice is turf.

i would like to hold out hope but if this is a business decision... and please I am hoping for proof it won't be but if it is, the logical choice is turf within 2-3 years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two things:

Man U penny pinches to give the Glazers as much money as possible in dividends to pay back the huge debt they took in to buy the team. They don't act like the richest team in the world because they really are only rich in terms of revenue. If you tell me Chelsea or Man City does the reseed thing based on cost, then that's relevant.

And, the Argos don't make enough operationally to make them the priority. They were bought simply to keep the TSN division of Bell happy and give the Christmas Tree Builder a playtoy of his own. Spending money for them on operations of these 2 teams means little. The only real place to make money operationally is in Grey Cups, and Bell and Larry T were given a few of those.

Grass will be tried and it will fail. Desso will then be brought in. Turf will destroy the chances of success for TFC, and both Bell and Larry T know that TFC success is WAY more lucrative operationally then Argo.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 10-04-2015 at 07:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are people so convinced they'll switch back to Artificial Turf?

Dallas, Chicago and Houston haven't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

That's because we can't trust MLSE who have been very two face on BMO field expansion. They say one thing to TFC fans, then say something else to different crowd.

You simply can't trust MLSE at all!

I just hope one day that MLSE sell TFC to soccer loving person so we don't have to deal with MLSE.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because not one of those are known to be of good enough quality.
    And the CFL like it.
    And its easier to have events with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Because not one of those are known to be of good enough quality.
    And the CFL like it.
    And its easier to have events with it.
    Bolded, huh?

And Dallas and Houston are way busier venues than BMO Field. Still have grass.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bolded, huh?

Chicago looked poor all year.
    Houston looks poor in the late and most important parts of their season.
    Dallas has been poor in the past as well.

This is why TFC do not have confidence the grass will last the entire season and plan to switch it out around August.

They are keeping grass but aren't confident it will stand up as well as artificial turf would. They know how unpopular the switch to artificial turf would be to many TFC fans.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bolded, huh?

Dallas and Houston have better growing seasons for grass.