Page 107 of 197 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,210 of 5892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    And, after being in the same area and on display for 20ish years. Rogers decided they didn't want "competing logos" (That was Rogers actual response) during Blue Jays games, and thus they are no longer up during Jays games. Not sure when the Blue Jays played the Argos, but it's just another example of Rogers pettiness towards the CFL & Argos.

At BMO, I don't have an issue if they are put up and removed after every game, like in Montreal, the issue I have with Rogers is that someone suddenly decided this non-issue was an issue.
    I keep hearing about this Rogers hate CFL stuff from CFL fans, but why exactly does Rogers hate CFL? I don't understand their logic and I see CFL talked positively on Rogers owned media (both on TV and radio).

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I keep hearing about this Rogers hate CFL stuff from CFL fans, but why exactly does Rogers hate CFL? I don't understand their logic and I see CFL talked positively on Rogers owned media (both on TV and radio).
    The amount of negativity coming from the Rogers media wing far out weights the positive. Every year come Grey Cup time, Rogers "writers" come out with an Anti-CFL article in one form or another. It's clockwork.
    Then you have things like the banners, the gate fiasco at their home opener where some people waited over an hour to get into the stadium, seriously how could Rogers Centre staff handle 50,000 fine but can't handle 20,000?
    Jim Lang after he left Fan590 is another example, suddenly a big CFL & Argo fan. I understand there is a a general lack of interest compared to some other sports. You also have other Rogers employee's like Arash who look for any reason to bash the league.

Would it be different if SportsNet owned the rights? I can't say. But I've always found TSN will both criticize the league when it warranted and praise it if it's warranted as well.

The thing is, and talking to some players, They are also aware of Rogers attitude towards the CFL (especially the Canadian players). So if the majority of fans are aware, the players are aware, most certainly this is at a boardroom level in the league offices as well. What has Rogers done to dismay this thought? Nothing.

Infact, there was a Tweet a few days ago from a Rogers Employee that "praised the growth & excitement of the CIS game and it's a shame it hasn't translated to the pro level" I'll see if I can find it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's really just something between Rogers and Bell. In truth, neither one cares about any particular sport and they co-operate far more than they compete with each other (it's hard to tell them apart at the CRTC hearings). So, if Rogers had the CFL and Bell had the Jays they would have opposite attitudes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    The amount of negativity coming from the Rogers media wing far out weights the positive. Every year come Grey Cup time, Rogers "writers" come out with an Anti-CFL article in one form or another. It's clockwork.
    Then you have things like the banners, the gate fiasco at their home opener where some people waited over an hour to get into the stadium, seriously how could Rogers Centre staff handle 50,000 fine but can't handle 20,000?
    Jim Lang after he left Fan590 is another example, suddenly a big CFL & Argo fan. I understand there is a a general lack of interest compared to some other sports. You also have other Rogers employee's like Arash who look for any reason to bash the league.

Would it be different if SportsNet owned the rights? I can't say. But I've always found TSN will both criticize the league when it warranted and praise it if it's warranted as well.

The thing is, and talking to some players, They are also aware of Rogers attitude towards the CFL (especially the Canadian players). So if the majority of fans are aware, the players are aware, most certainly this is at a boardroom level in the league offices as well. What has Rogers done to dismay this thought? Nothing.

Infact, there was a Tweet a few days ago from a Rogers Employee that "praised the growth & excitement of the CIS game and it's a shame it hasn't translated to the pro level" I'll see if I can find it.
    Well I see guys like Tim Micallef, Bob McCown and Stephen Brunt being pro-CFL and gone out their way to saying (for most of time) positive things about CFL. Those are some more popular guys in Rogers Sports media and Toronto sports media in general.

I personally don't blame Rogers Centre one bit about security incident since Argos don't get many people coming to their games these days. Sure they might have underestimated home opener (since Argo SSH got extra free tickets to bring people to home opener), but besides that, I don't see much issue or conspiracy here. They have adjusted and I am sure there was no issue with security last game.

No offense, but no one really cares about CFL thinks around here. So having major corporation respond or go out their way to prove they're not anti-CFL is a waste time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    It's really just something between Rogers and Bell. In truth, neither one cares about any particular sport and they co-operate far more than they compete with each other (it's hard to tell them apart at the CRTC hearings). So, if Rogers had the CFL and Bell had the Jays they would have opposite attitudes.
    That's the thing! Rogers and Bell don't really care much end of the day. It's all business for them.

CFL is too small of league to feel threaten.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the thing! Rogers and Bell don't really care much end of the day. It's all business for them.

CFL is too small of league to feel threaten.
    Still, the CFL brings in customers from a lot of cities in Canada that MLS never will, so it's valuable for for that, and for politics. Telecom is heavily regulated (which means lots of backroom deals are made) so lots of things come into play. All that Canadian content is important now (it may not be in the future, both Bell and Rogers are pushing for a lot less CanCon).

Where I think the CFL is wrong is its belief that it needs a team in Toronto. That's just GTA-media driven. None of the western teams care. Really, the only team that would miss Toronto is Hamilton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where I think the CFL is wrong is its belief that it needs a team in Toronto. That's just GTA-media driven. None of the western teams care. Really, the only team that would miss Toronto is Hamilton.
    Can't say I agree. It's the largest market in the country, if they ever get things right (and for an extended period of time) to build a proper following, it could be the best supported team in the league. There's people, sports fans, money and corporations out the wazoo. It's not media driven, it's financially driven. They also need to keep a presence in Toronto as the Skydome is their top spot to host the Grey Cup. I believe that post Argos out of Skydome, they will still host Grey Cup's there as the MLB season will be just finished and it'll have all offseason to recover from any grass damages. If there's no Toronto club, might be harder to put 50K people in there and this league cannot harm it's few sources of quality revenue. Lastly, every single team would care if Toronto left the league. They don't want the CFL to be smaller, they don't want one of it's original clubs to cease, that's just nonsense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aren't Toronto Argos oldest team in CFL or professional team in general? Like I said before, taking Argos' accomplishment seriously is like taking Leafs' "glory days" seriously.

This is why I have a lot respect for Blue Jays (I am not baseball fan) for winning World Series back to back season.
    I'm not sure how being around a long time discredits wins in this decade, most recently two years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Can't say I agree. It's the largest market in the country, if they ever get things right (and for an extended period of time) to build a proper following, it could be the best supported team in the league. There's people, sports fans, money and corporations out the wazoo. It's not media driven, it's financially driven. They also need to keep a presence in Toronto as the Skydome is their top spot to host the Grey Cup. I believe that post Argos out of Skydome, they will still host Grey Cup's there as the MLB season will be just finished and it'll have all offseason to recover from any grass damages. If there's no Toronto club, might be harder to put 50K people in there and this league cannot harm it's few sources of quality revenue. Lastly, every single team would care if Toronto left the league. They don't want the CFL to be smaller, they don't want one of it's original clubs to cease, that's just nonsense.
    The argos are out of rogers centre not because of the damage they will do to grass but because for them to grow grass they will need to lock the stands in place. No CFL will be played at Rogers Centre after this year unless the grass attempt is a failure and even then i doubt it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    No one in the CFL wants the Argos to go, I just don't think they'd be missed as much as the media lets on. Also, I think the Argos could do very well with a suburban stadium, they're one of the few teams that don't really need to be downtown. But anyway, here they are.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    The argos are out of rogers centre not because of the damage they will do to grass ...
    Ask the Yankees what they think of Football played on their lawn. Baseballers like their outfield pristine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Ask the Yankees what they think of Football played on their lawn. Baseballers like their outfield pristine.
    Oh i agree, even if it were possible with in the dimensions of the Rogers Centre after they locked the stands in place i very much doubt they would allow them to stay.

I was just saying that when they do the renovation to being grass in they will no longer have the ability to move the stands and therefore a CFL field won't fit in the available space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think Rogers would have had any problem putting an NFL team in there if they'd got one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have question: with grass at Rogers Centre, would Rogers host more soccer games? I wouldn't be surprise to see Rogers book more soccer games to make up lost tenants (like Argos).

Yes, I know it's baseball stadium, but if NYCFC can manage to play in baseball stadium, then I am sure Rogers will find a way to host soccer games at Rogers Centre.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have question: with grass at Rogers Centre, would Rogers host more soccer games? I wouldn't be surprise to see Rogers book more soccer games to make up lost tenants (like Argos).

Yes, I know it's baseball stadium, but if NYCFC can manage to play in baseball stadium, then I am sure Rogers will find a way to host soccer games at Rogers Centre.
    The plan is to leave it in the baseball setup with the grass for the entire season.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think Rogers would have had any problem putting an NFL team in there if they'd got one?
    I would think they would, mainly because it would be far too small. A NFL field would probably be much closer to fitting in the available space though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So no more "We should play this game in the Dome!" thinking.

Good. I loved the CCL game there but its time to move on and BMO with the roof will be a fortress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a few problems, a permanent NFL team needs a bigger stadium then Rogers Center, Rogers only fits 50k, most NFL stadiums are more like 70k. Rogers is a bit outdated already to start a new team (and even worse that its more geared for Baseball then Football with its weird seating arrangements), they probably would like them to have at least future blue print plans for a new state of the art NFL stadium, otherwise I am sure they could find somewhere else in USA that could build a better stadium (LA for example). And Rogers wants Blue Jays to have grass and real dirt, that is why Arogs are getting kicked out in the first place. A NFL team would kind of ruin that.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So no more "We should play this game in the Dome!" thinking.

Good. I loved the CCL game there but its time to move on and BMO with the roof will be a fortress.
    False.

I wish they'd play every friendly in the dome.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    There is a few problems, a permanent NFL team needs a bigger stadium then Rogers Center, Rogers only fits 50k, most NFL stadiums are more like 70k. Rogers is a bit outdated already to start a new team (and even worse that its more geared for Baseball then Football with its weird seating arrangements), they probably would like them to have at least future blue print plans for a new state of the art NFL stadium, otherwise I am sure they could find somewhere else in USA that could build a better stadium (LA for example). And Rogers wants Blue Jays to have grass and real dirt, that is why Arogs are getting kicked out in the first place. A NFL team would kind of ruin that.
    Yeah, I was really just commenting on the statement that outfielders want pristine grass. I believe Rogers would put monster trucks in the dome everyday if there was money in it. If the Argos were selling out games and paying rent, they'd stay in the dome. I wish it was about what's best for the Jays.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So any news on what happens to the ssh in the North stands?? Everyone around me thinks they will be back next year but I'm pretty sure that the whole stand will be gone... So far zero communication from the club on the plans despite me raising my concerns multiple times... My guess is the think I will be happy with row 200 seats on the east side in place of my row 2 seats in the north end... Great customer service yet AGAIN!
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    So any news on what happens to the ssh in the North stands?? Everyone around me thinks they will be back next year but I'm pretty sure that the whole stand will be gone... So far zero communication from the club on the plans despite me raising my concerns multiple times... My guess is the think I will be happy with row 200 seats on the east side in place of my row 2 seats in the north end... Great customer service yet AGAIN!

TFC staff are clueless like us. This is something you should contact MLSE HQ (especially Tim Leiweke directly) to find out.

I am going to assume we will find out by end of the year how North and South stands play out for next year. Don't be surprise if north stand is gone permanently and you will have to relocate unless you decide to drop your season tickets.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Like any word on the pitch, they'll announce nothing till they want money from you for renewals but make sure to demand to know what you're paying for. I've heard cases of people this past year getting their seats reassigned from the reno and they had to do all the leg work to get seats they wanted. Please let us know when the time comes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Like any word on the pitch, they'll announce nothing till they want money from you for renewals but make sure to demand to know what you're paying for. I've heard cases of people this past year getting their seats reassigned from the reno and they had to do all the leg work to get seats they wanted. Please let us know when the time comes.
    I don't expect to hear about the pitch at all.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expecting this to be the year I give up season tickets unless they come up with a reasonable plan...

Shame it's when the team are finally becoming credible but at some point you have to say stop f*cking me over....
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The % of people who come to games from the burbs is way lower for TFC - there's not many Argo supporters who live in the core. ( I live in the inner suburbs btw)
    Is that based on data or speculation? When I was an SSH, most of the people around me were from the burbs

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Is that based on data or speculation? When I was an SSH, most of the people around me were from the burbs
    Spec....but was a SSH with the Argos for awhile and almost everybody drove.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I thought I'd mention in here that this decision will influence hosting of Canada games here in Toronto. Another good reason to get your tickets to this Belize match by Tues. (tomorrow) the link is in my Sig.

This may be the last game at BMO for a long time. The next round may be entirely in different cities. Enjoy them here while you can!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhibition_Stadium

How far we've come! Hosted 12 Grey Cups including the "Fog Bowl" (played over 2 days).

The aluminum benches down the right field line were classic... Would have made for a great NHL outdoor game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still, the CFL brings in customers from a lot of cities in Canada that MLS never will, so it's valuable for for that, and for politics. Telecom is heavily regulated (which means lots of backroom deals are made) so lots of things come into play. All that Canadian content is important now (it may not be in the future, both Bell and Rogers are pushing for a lot less CanCon).

This is for me , the truth . And why if the CFL needs or wants the Argos , their is no reason why they can't be situated in the greater GTA area . I'm curious how many downtowners go to Argo games . I have in the past , not that interested anymore though, through no fault of their own . I don't enjoy the Argo bashing either just wish they weren't being shoved in my face .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana