Page 102 of 197 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 5892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I just have to wonder if the Argos revenues will justify the expense of such a setup.
    Yeah I doubt it. Wonder if even 2 NFL games pays for it? NFL might be taking a hit to expand their brand.

At any rate, if we end up with a destroyed painted pitch at the same time other clubs are spending to do it right it will look bad.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Yeah I doubt it. Wonder if even 2 NFL games pays for it? NFL might be taking a hit to expand their brand.

At any rate, if we end up with a destroyed painted pitch at the same time other clubs are spending to do it right it will look bad.
    That's the ML$E way of doing things.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post

I doubt that this move by Spurs is just about NFL. It is in London so I can see them making it a concert venue that isn't Wembley.

MLSE is looking to spend the least amount possible with this groundshare reno. Well...HALF of them are.

Still waiting on an official announcement before renewals on their plan.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Gents - just travelling south from Manchester after a tour of Old Trafford. Spoke to the stadium staff about a number of things but grass was a topic.

They put in Desomaster hybrid grass (3% artificial). They reseed it after every game as the cost and logistics to replace are more difficult. Mentioned BMO and CFL football. They immediately went to memories of Wembley and NFL and offered a pessimistic outlook on the ability of the 2 teams to co-exist over the course of a season. Particularly with weather.

Put it in the we'll see category but I got the sense that they felt this was way down on the "list of good ideas to maintain a proper pitch."

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spent last night at the Gold Cup games in the company of two gents involved in the Argos operations. One of them was particularly interested in seeing how the grass held up over the course of two games in one night. Quite decently, considering the rain.

Listening to them, it was cringeworthy, to say the least. Referred to soccer players and fans as 'squealing babies' and were quite merry at the prospect of seeing the Argos 'rip the hell' out of the playing surface. They said CFL players are quite content playing on synthetic turf, especially as the colder, wetter weather sets in and see the grass as an unnecessary complication when it comes to choosing proper footwear and having to adjust how pass routes are run.

Not sounding like a marriage made in heaven.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Spent last night at the Gold Cup games in the company of two gents involved in the Argos operations. One of them was particularly interested in seeing how the grass held up over the course of two games in one night. Quite decently, considering the rain.

Listening to them, it was cringeworthy, to say the least. Referred to soccer players and fans as 'squealing babies' and were quite merry at the prospect of seeing the Argos 'rip the hell' out of the playing surface. They said CFL players are quite content playing on synthetic turf, especially as the colder, wetter weather sets in and see the grass as an unnecessary complication when it comes to choosing proper footwear and having to adjust how pass routes are run.

Not sounding like a marriage made in heaven.
    Aye yi yi!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Ottawa Edmonton game in a downpour is making me cringe. It will happen at some point during the Argos squatting at BMO, and it will ruin the pitch.

As a kicker on their end zone hill, painted signs from the women's world cup still are fairly visible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wouldn't it only need to be stored under there for a day? would you need lights for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Yep, I believe this will be the first of its kind. Arizona, Schalke and Arnhems retractable pitches are kept outside in direct sunlight. This one will be stored under the south stand with, i presume, some sort of artificial light/lamps set up.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    This Ottawa Edmonton game in a downpour is making me cringe. It will happen at some point during the Argos squatting at BMO, and it will ruin the pitch.

As a kicker on their end zone hill, painted signs from the women's world cup still are fairly visible
    The lack of rain here over the past month means that grass was totally brown and didn't need to be cut, nor did it fade away because of rain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deltox View Post
    wouldn't it only need to be stored under there for a day? would you need lights for that?
    I think it would be under the stand a few days either side of the game.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Speaking of a pitch invasion

15 aside rugby - 3 games in 8 hours

Glad its not raining

Going to be a good test to see if the grass can recover.
    Quoted from another thread for relevance from a keen poster!

I'd love to hear from anyone who could give their impression of the state of the pitch for the Canada Gold Cup game. I didn't hear of any complaints from the Pan Am rugby but couldn't see much of the match or the state of the pitch.

I can vouch I didn't personally see anyone affected by the state of the pitch on the Sat game TFC vs Pilly.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 07-29-2015 at 09:07 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, I didnt notice anything at GC game. No pitch damage or visible lines left over (maybe that paint/paint washer works)

However, the pan ams was 7's. A much different game from whats happening today.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, I didnt notice anything at GC game. No pitch damage or visible lines left over (maybe that paint/paint washer works)

True. I'm not looking to make an equal comparison just get impressions from everyone. While we're comparing apples to oranges: Rugby sevens had over 20 short games a day on the Sat and Sun beforehand while this tripleheader coming up will be full matches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In good weather the field won't be effected much, thats not the issue. If their is a down pour like we had during the gold cup during an argos game is when the damage will occur.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    In good weather the field won't be effected much, thats not the issue. If their is a down pour like we had during the gold cup during an argos game is when the damage will occur.
    This damage would occur regardless though right? I mean sure it'll be to a greater extent with more uses, however even if it were just TFC and some other standard friendlies/international games the field could be destroyed enough to warrant a new one. Oh wait.. this just happened in KC.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls...e28904368.html

Hybrid turf in theory should be able to withstand more punishment. If MLSE is willing to swallow the costs to replace it if it ever gets really bad, does it really matter if the Argo's play there?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    This damage would occur regardless though right? I mean sure it'll be to a greater extent with more uses, however even if it were just TFC and some other standard friendlies/international games the field could be destroyed enough to warrant a new one. Oh wait.. this just happened in KC.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls...e28904368.html

Hybrid turf in theory should be able to withstand more punishment. If MLSE is willing to swallow the costs to replace it if it ever gets really bad, does it really matter if the Argo's play there?
    Yes. Ground share is bush league. The Jays see that now.

MLSE are not going hybrid next year. They really should announce this officially.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's almost purely about players running from one end of the field to the other. Almost no scrums or players digging into the ground really. Not the type of game that would result in a pitch getting damaged.
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to watch the rugby matches and or the state of the pitch here is the live stream...

http://www.worldrugby.org/pnc/video/81769

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Yes. Ground share is bush league. The Jays see that now.

MLSE are not going hybrid next year. They really should announce this officially.
    Not hybrid next year?? Where'd you get this tidbit?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe Bez mentioned it in an interview.

As I quoted from one of the NFL teams that uses hybrid: although initially stronger, it's much harder to replace sections of a hybrid pitch when it's damaged. In the case of the NFL, they often have enough time between games to overseed & regrow partially damaged sections (including the planting of sprouted grass rather than starting only from seed). That includes the use of grow lights & other tricks to speed it up. With the busier MLS schedule, + CONCACAF + CFL + rugby + national teams + who knows what, that's much harder.

Maybe they'll try to grow the strongest grass possible; use grow lights & tarps & any other tricks they can think of. And keep their fingers crossed. And insert a patchwork quilt of replacement grass as needed.

Obviously nothing is really clear, and hybrid isn't the panacea that some of hoped for. And we're likely screwed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the stream for the Japan Fiji match.

http://www.worldrugby.org/pnc/video/81770

Looks like the pitch will be pretty well torn up before the Canada Samoa match at 8:30
    Last edited by Petor; 07-29-2015 at 05:49 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He mentioned it in the Lunch with Bez thing for SSH's.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He mentioned it in the Lunch with Bez thing for SSH's.
    That's great. When was the SSH lunch?

That may be sufficient effort to inform from their POV but an email announcement AT LEAST to let every SSH that couldn't make it would be better. Everyone needs to know what their team will playing on.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland game, IIRC. He said MLSE was considering not doing a switch, to be truthful. That as the first and only time I've heard that but given the issues people have raised about Desso having to be resodded between matches, might be the better first choice (given the choice most of us want isn't going to happen). They probably havn't finalized this decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That may be sufficient effort to inform from their POV but an email announcement AT LEAST to let every SSH that couldn't make it would be better. Everyone needs to know what their team will playing on.
    We know they are not going to make a big announcement about it, but at least now that we know it's public information we can talk about it. I was starting to get very uncomfortable sitting on that piece of information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Hybrid? FFS

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland game, IIRC. He said MLSE was considering not doing a switch, to be truthful. That as the first and only time I've heard that but given the issues people have raised about Desso having to be resodded between matches, might be the better first choice (given the choice most of us want isn't going to happen). They probably havn't finalized this decision.
    So May 23rd before the match. Thank you. After meeting with SSH and SG's they've left us with an unsatisfactory position. They need to address it again before renewals.

We know they are not going to make a big announcement about it, but at least now that we know it's public information we can talk about it. I was starting to get very uncomfortable sitting on that piece of information.
    I hear you, Pint. Let the flood gates open.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed.

The theory is that hybrid turf is impossible to 'patch'. Grass surface is easily patchable and completely replaceable given some catastrophic incident (like a muddy argo game during a sensitive time of year).

If that fails, then I am sure they will chance a hybrid surface. Next step if that fails is pretty obvious. Get ready for the three ring circus.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Renewals are not going to happen until this team makes the playoffs (I'm assuming it does as it would be a monumental failure to not do so given our situation and play until now).

Peak demand time....get people when we are on a roll.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Renewals are not going to happen until this team makes the playoffs (I'm assuming it does as it would be a monumental failure to not do so given our situation and play until now).

Peak demand time....get people when we are on a roll.
    And I am beginning to see what @Pint mentions in that I can't see them letting everyone know what the surface situation will be if they aren't convinced it will be a seller for renewals. I still find it untoward that they will be selling a product they presently are not confident in to withstand the rigours of this ground share.

Circus, indeed.