Page 101 of 197 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,030 of 5892
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Well, it's happening now ... no going back.

We'll just have to hope for the best.

My issue is we should qualify that. If you want to just hope for the best that's cool. You're not alone but I hold the decision makers accountable to keep us as informed as they can. They've failed. They have time before renewals which seems to be their only motivator but for them to expect anything but doubt from us with this track record of theirs...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    thats crap. never had carpet burn from any of the new type field turf installed in the last 10+ years. The plastic pitches 25-35 years ago would peel your skin off like road rash, and were really just good for field hockey.
    I love playing on the new stuff ... field is perfectly flat and bounces are true.

fully expect ML$E will go back to fieldturf within a decade. We just haven't had enough games in march and november to see how bad the the grass field gets. hopefully hybrid works.
    BMO field value will dramatically decrease if they go back to field turf. MLSE isn't stupid and get rid of grass because Argos.

Having field turf will scare away pretty all soccer events and kill TFC (Field turf is inferior to real grass no matter what you say thanks to Blue Jays and past TFC management who have admit it).

In fact, even an Argo player on video said he prefer grass over turf because field turf is a lot harder on body and grass will help him to play couple of more years longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats crap. never had carpet burn from any of the new type field turf installed in the last 10+ years. The plastic pitches 25-35 years ago would peel your skin off like road rash, and were really just good for field hockey.
    I love playing on the new stuff ... field is perfectly flat and bounces are true.

fully expect ML$E will go back to fieldturf within a decade. We just haven't had enough games in march and november to see how bad the the grass field gets. hopefully hybrid works.
    Glad to hear you personally haven't experienced carpet burn on new turf but I think others might disagree with your assessment "that's crap" including Sydney Leroux.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
    Glad to hear you personally haven't experienced carpet burn on new turf but I think others might disagree with your assessment "that's crap" including Sydney Leroux.
    Hahahaha cant believe people fall for her bullshit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've noticed this thread has gone off topic and is much more quiet now that TFC is starting to play better. Could it be that it doesn't matter what the field will be like (for the most part) so long as we have a winning team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It could also be that the announcement has passed and very little news has come out recently around the move/field/scheduling etc.

no new news means we have a decreasing amount of things to talk about in here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had my legs and knees ripped to shreds on brand new field turf - at high end facilities.
    If you slide on it - its burns. If you really have to get down on it quick - it'll rip through the skin.
    Granted, you'll get burns and cuts on grass as well - but it is far, far, far worse on the field turf.

As for the bounce - it sure does give the ball some kick when it hits the rubber. Agreed its "true" as its the same bounce on every part of the field - but it really gets going... Wet turf, very slick - and again, natural grass becomes slick but the turf is much slicker...

That being said. I like playing on field turf for men's league / beer league / rec footy (1-4 hours a week etc). The reason I like it, it holds up - there's no pot holes, no rocks, no dead patches that get hard when dried out - that happens on rec fields around the city...

But the PROFESSIONAL GAME should not be played on it whenever possible.

Carts.
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    I've noticed this thread has gone off topic and is much more quiet now that TFC is starting to play better. Could it be that it doesn't matter what the field will be like (for the most part) so long as we have a winning team?
    I think it will always matter to the fans.

I don't it will always matter to the operators.

The thread is quiet as there really isn't much to say. We all know what we want. They are going in their own direction, converting the largest soccer specific stadium in MLS (their words) into a multi-use facility days after making that grandiose statement. And they are promising it will be fine.

All that's left is to let history play out.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To some. Yes.

To others this will always be a step backwards for the game.

...through all of the highs and lows this is our crest and that, that was our home.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 06-09-2015 at 01:19 PM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I think it will always matter to the fans.

I don't it will always matter to the operators.

The thread is quiet as there really isn't much to say. We all know what we want. They are going in their own direction, converting the largest soccer specific stadium in MLS (their words) into a multi-use facility days after making that grandiose statement. And they are promising it will be fine.

All that's left is to let history play out.
    Yes, this says it well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Temperatures measured at field-level have already been brutal for some of the WWC games due to the plastic turf, even though it's June and not that hot yet. That has a huge effect on the players & the game. Those black pebbles, in addition to being annoying and possibly dangerous for your health, of course also suck up the sun like crazy. And there's no evaporation like from natural grass to cool it down.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny how the temperature at field level is never talked about during CFL games.

Not saying the temp isn't an issue, just funny how its ignored when its CFL time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im waiting on if we will use turf over the grass.

if thats the case, I will throw less rocks at MSLE

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Funny how the temperature at field level is never talked about during CFL games.

Not saying the temp isn't an issue, just funny how its ignored when its CFL time.
    I think CFL players are used to plastic turf, so it's standard for them. Plus the vast majority of CFL games are evening games, especially in the summer. I just checked the schedule. Also CFL players don't run for 90 minutes, or up to 15 km. I'm sure it's damn hot for them though, linebackers in particular like to get off the field quick and drink some water.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 06-09-2015 at 02:52 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You slide enough, you're going to get "carpet" burn on grass too (not defending turf, I blew my knee out on a nothing play on turf).

Back in the day when I used to play competitively (as a LB) I would literally tape the left leg of my boxer shorts down so they wouldn't ride up when I would slide. It certainly didn't prevent the burn completely, but it definitely helped.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argos played at Varsity last night?

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/...rsity-stadium/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stugautz View Post

They do every pre-season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they have been doing this for a number of years, due to their annual battle with rogers over dates at skydome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the game summary "Attendance — 5 at Toronto."

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say it has more to do with the finality of the issue. Argos coming to BMO Field is no longer a possibility - it's the new reality. The fight is over and we lost. There's not much we can do now except hope that the damage is not too severe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    im waiting on if we will use turf over the grass.

if thats the case, I will throw less rocks at MSLE
    This is what I'm waiting for too. But it's gone all too quiet from MLSE on their testing front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile CFL Playing Time

Since the actual playing time of a football game is 11 minutes and the teams are divided into offensive and defensive players that averages to about 5 1/2 minutes. Compare that to 90 minutes and you can see why the playing temperature makes a big difference between a real football game and the pointy ball version.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Incredible heat coming off the new turf at Rogers Centre when the roof is opened. Far warmer than the old surface and it's due to the higher content of black rubber beads in the turf being more heat absorbent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spurs announced their new stadium design today. They will be hosting 2 NFL games per year for 10 years using a retractable pitch. So apparently there are lots of options on how this can be done without destroying the soccer pitch and washing away lines.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Spurs announced their new stadium design today. They will be hosting 2 NFL games per year for 10 years using a retractable pitch. So apparently there are lots of options on how this can be done without destroying the soccer pitch and washing away lines.
    I just have to wonder if the Argos revenues will justify the expense of such a setup.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I just have to wonder if the Argos revenues will justify the expense of such a setup.
    Not a chance.

WHL is also being set up like that as an NFL expansion franchise probably ends up there.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Paint me sceptical on the second bit of that and 2 games per year in the fall doesn't compare to 9+ games over 6 months.

And the Spurs fans will still complain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paint me sceptical on the second bit of that and 2 games per year in the fall doesn't compare to 9+ games over 6 months.

And the Spurs fans will still complain.
    From comments i've read on two other forums this morning, Spurs fans are delighted.

Some with questions about how the retractable pitch will be stored but overall, they are delighted with their shinny new toy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw this rendering on Reddit about the plans. It's interesting that unlike the stadium Arizona, they roll out the grass underneath the stands and house it there.

http://imgur.com/a/3f4oe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw this rendering on Reddit about the plans. It's interesting that unlike the stadium Arizona, they roll out the grass underneath the stands and house it there.

http://imgur.com/a/3f4oe
    Yep, I believe this will be the first of its kind. Arizona, Schalke and Arnhems retractable pitches are kept outside in direct sunlight. This one will be stored under the south stand with, i presume, some sort of artificial light/lamps set up.