Page 183 of 197 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185186187193 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,490 of 5892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Basically a lack of investment in the team and alienation of the fans.

There are a lot of atricles on how Braley ran the team. This is an example:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/argos...rs-centre.html

Argos at BMO is a step forward for them but the investment and damage repair has to continue.
    All I got from that article is a game where fans had to endure long line ups for one game. This is alienation? Anything else?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Macksam View Post
    All I got from that article is a game where fans had to endure long line ups for one game. This is alienation? Anything else?
    You didn't catch the part where they didn't have a marketing budget? Think of treatment as a TFC STH over the years from the FO. Imagine that without any budget for customer service or value for your season tickets?

You should probably try to ask a dedicated Argos fan of you really want the scoop. I've been to 1 Argos game in my lifetime, detailed in this thread (had a good time, didn't see any lines and the pitch looked just fine but won't likely go to many more as didn't see the value for the price for a pair)
    Last edited by Pookie; 09-07-2016 at 01:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS will attract more fans as the quality grows, which will happen when the salary cap increases exponentially. Everything else, single table, regular season championship, playoffs are all semantics that don't really matter. For example, if this league had a 30 million dollar salary cap for each team, nobody would be turned off that it's not single table or how playoffs exist.
    don't see that happening. The league is run for DC, Chicago, Columbus, Houston, Dallas, Colorado type teams. Salary cap is going stay this "similar" level for as long as those pathetic franchises are around. They are an anchor pulling on the whole league.
    Last edited by Onyx; 09-07-2016 at 01:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't think anyone has mentioned it yet on this thread, but, check out the Eastern final dates for MLS playoffs. Midweek games due to the fact that TFC could make it, and, gee guess what....the Grey Cup is at BMO on the weekend ugh...
    Now, should the squad make it to the final I will be overjoyed (weekday, or, weekend) but, for those of us that travel to games (Woodstock in my case) just another "oh joy" drive/travel to Toronto midweek.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FRANKIE65 View Post
    Don't think anyone has mentioned it yet on this thread, but, check out the Eastern final dates for MLS playoffs. Midweek games due to the fact that TFC could make it, and, gee guess what....the Grey Cup is at BMO on the weekend ugh...
    Now, should the squad make it to the final I will be overjoyed (weekday, or, weekend) but, for those of us that travel to games (Woodstock in my case) just another "oh joy" drive/travel to Toronto midweek.
    Yep and makes away travel plans harder to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    The preferred outcome would be the development of "Tanenbaum Field" securing Larry's name in CFL history. Preferably at York or Downsview, with suburban transit and loads of parking. York U stadium holds 12500 which seems perfect.
    Nope

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You didn't catch the part where they didn't have a marketing budget? Think of treatment as a TFC STH over the years from the FO. Imagine that without any budget for customer service or value for your season tickets?

You should probably try to ask a dedicated Argos fan of you really want the scoop. I've been to 1 Argos game in my lifetime, detailed in this thread (had a good time, didn't see any lines and the pitch looked just fine but won't likely go to many more as didn't see the value for the price for a pair)
    I caught that part and ignored it because it's a laughable reason to be disgruntled. A lack of a marketing budget? Really? Argos fans got disgruntled because they didn't see enough of the team being promoted to the masses? Sorry, I don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by FRANKIE65 View Post
    I heard this from another website but don't understand the logic behind it. What does TFC going far in the playoffs have to do with putting the team's Eastern final on a weekday?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mack - I assume that you have been plugged in our history. And in making that assumption, I'll make a second one and assume you understand there is a relationship between STH and the FO. From friendlies to ticket packs to "events" to handling by ticket reps to town halls to promises kept or not kept... many things can influence a fans' relationship with a team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard this from another website but don't understand the logic behind it. What does TFC going far in the playoffs have to do with putting the team's Eastern final on a weekday?
    Have you ever wondered why the NCAA Bball final was always on a Monday and not a Sunday like every other big national championship?

Cause in theory BYU could make it there.

Same with the East Finals - put them on a weekday because TFC can't play at BMO those other days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i can understand Pookie's argument there, for instance when we thought the value for tickets wasnt worth the on field product, many complained to their ticket reps which made it to either Leiweke or Anselmi (forgot which one) and they listened and put the STH pricing back to year one...its that relationship that i suppose the Braley era lacked...still i dont see a turn around i honestly dont believe the interest is there in the GTA demographic...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you read "@thegoalkeeper" on twitter or blog he basically walks through every date and how it conflicts with local NFL or college football ... theory on the weekdays you might get causal fans watching and no stadium conflicts. Here you have CFL playoffs including 5 day window where the stadium needs be prepared for the grey cup game.

honestly, i can see the league going to all mid-week playoff games soon for all the conflicts he sites.
    Last edited by Onyx; 09-07-2016 at 04:04 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW

Traditionally the second largest CFL viewing # of the year. There is also a big drop off to the return match in Toronto but not back down to the summer numbers.

As others have suggested, would be nice to see #'s from the 416 but Neilson uses GTA not the city.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 09-07-2016 at 05:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not saying you're wrong Og but Silva was never with SJE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    FWIW

Traditionally the second largest CFL viewing # of the year. There is also a big drop off to the return match in Toronto but not back down to the summer numbers.

As others have suggested, would be nice to see #'s from the 416 but Neilson uses GTA not the city.
    and thats what we keep saying no one is watching from the 416 where the team is located...hence empty stadium...which is why i makes sense to move the team to a location outside the 416 or to the border of the 416/905 (Yorku)...i guess thats why they dont want to release the specific numbers as it would effect sponsorship deals, and give a reason to relocate...

is relocation an issue because they want the team name to remain as the Toronto Argos? cause they can move to York or Mississauga and still be called the Toronto Argos...I just dont get the desire to stay right downtown...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    and thats what we keep saying no one is watching from the 416 where the team is located...hence empty stadium...which is why i makes sense to move the team to a location outside the 416 or to the border of the 416/905 (Yorku)...i guess thats why they dont want to release the specific numbers as it would effect sponsorship deals, and give a reason to relocate...

is relocation an issue because they want the team name to remain as the Toronto Argos? cause they can move to York or Mississauga and still be called the Toronto Argos...I just dont get the desire to stay right downtown...

i don't think anyone would care if they played in Milton, Mississauga, Vaughan, Oshawa...and were called the Toronto Argos.

lots of teams aren't in their proper city.

Ottawa Sens - Kanata
    Giants/Jets - NJ
    SF niners - Santa Clara
    Tampa Rays - St. Petes
    Cowboys - Arlington
    Buffalo Bills - technically orchard park...like 15 miles away.
    i'm sure there are more examples.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    i don't think anyone would care if they played in Milton, Mississauga, Vaughan, Oshawa...and were called the Toronto Argos.

lots of teams aren't in their proper city.

Ottawa Sens - Kanata
    Giants/Jets - NJ
    SF niners - Santa Clara
    Tampa Rays - St. Petes
    Cowboys - Arlington
    Buffalo Bills - technically orchard park...like 15 miles away.
    i'm sure there are more examples.
    New York Red Bulls

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post

Do you know if no one is watching from the 416? Honestly asking as I don't see a breakdown by geography when they report the numbers.

Hamilton has a population of 520k. If they really got 2.9m viewers (some from out of province of course), I would just say wow. Those are NHL hockey in the playoffs type numbers for a matchup between two Ontario teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    if you read "@thegoalkeeper" on twitter or blog he basically walks through every date and how it conflicts with local NFL or college football ... theory on the weekdays you might get causal fans watching and no stadium conflicts. Here you have CFL playoffs including 5 day window where the stadium needs be prepared for the grey cup game.

honestly, i can see the league going to all mid-week playoff games soon for all the conflicts he sites.
    That's OK - we'll have to move the East Final and MLS Cup Final to Skydome to fit all the fans. It''ll be a sell out. The following year we could move to Skydome and laydown real grass - let The argos have BMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    That's OK - we'll have to move the East Final and MLS Cup Final to Skydome to fit all the fans. It''ll be a sell out. The following year we could move to Skydome and laydown real grass - let The argos have BMO.
    You're joking right?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you know if no one is watching from the 416? Honestly asking as I don't see a breakdown by geography when they report the numbers.

Hamilton has a population of 520k. If they really got 2.9m viewers (some from out of province of course), I would just say wow. Those are NHL hockey in the playoffs type numbers for a matchup between two Ontario teams.

The Labour Day game in Ontario is a tradition going back over 40 years. Its as visceral as TFC vs Impact. If you are a Ti-Cat fan, you watch. And because it makes good TV, and frankly nothing else is on anywhere on the evening of Labour Day, it gets big numbers everywhere.

If you are a Ti-Cats fan, you actually care more about the result for this game then the rest of the season. Win the Labour Day game and the season is a success - the rest of the fall is gravy.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Good one.

As if we'd want Skydome for anything. Jays and Monster Trucks can have it.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that 2.9M number is unique viewers, not average audience. The average audience is probably a 1/3 of that number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do bars get taken into account with those numbers? Most would have the game tuned into TSN just because even if very few are watching it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what a TFC-Impact or TFC-Whitecaps game would do in that prime TSN slot on Labour Day Monday night. That's the real question.

I'm guessing 1.0-1.5M

btw US Open tennis ratings are way down in US, so I assume here too, that probably juiced the Argo number
    Last edited by ensco; 09-08-2016 at 09:00 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    How do bars get taken into account with those numbers? Most would have the game tuned into TSN just because even if very few are watching it
    http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/espn...m-viewers.html

http://adage.com/article/media/espn-bellies-bar/304048/
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the volume has to be on in the bar to get counted, same thing with streaming, the mall and the gym.
    this usually the isn't the case with bar and gym so those viewers are usually missed still
    Last edited by Onyx; 09-08-2016 at 10:28 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    the volume has to be on in the bar to get counted, same thing with streaming, the mall and the gym. this isn't usually the case with bar and gym
    Yeah, I was hoping for more in there too - and continued my digging.

A while ago a buddy was telling me about some sort of device that a Nielsen person would carry with him/her. The device would pick up some sort of frequency from the station and therefor indicate that it was being watched, which is how they would count bars and such. Of course, since bars tend to turn the volume down for the halftime/intermission shows, sometimes the rating for those things would also drop.

I haven't been able to confirm it though (yet).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the real answer is that bars don't really count yet - I don't even think they properly count phones and tablets yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    I think the real answer is that bars don't really count yet - I don't even think they properly count phones and tablets yet.
    tablets and phones get counted if you have the volume on (signal is built into audio play by play). every 15min is counted. if your streaming, you must watch & listen to the TSN/SN feed not the other teams US feed to get counted. pVR'd within 24hrs gets counted too. pvr'd or streamed within 7 days gets counted as well in final numbers, these are the fast overnight numbers you see released on twitter.
    Last edited by Onyx; 09-08-2016 at 10:55 AM.