Page 99 of 197 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109149 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,970 of 5892
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS will be as popular as other major sports when they start acting like a major sport (ie seriously competing for world class players).

Wake me up when MLS payrolls get to $100M per team.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    MLS will be as popular as other major sports when they start acting like a major sport (ie seriously competing for world class players).

Remind me how much the other NA leagues pay out per team. I honestly don't know it's been so long.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the idea is there in getting world class players, but part of that I think is the limited TV deal MLS has.
    Again, I think getting a World Cup in the US would help MLS go to the next level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Remind me how much the other NA leagues pay out per team. I honestly don't know it's been so long.
    MLB has a soft cap you pay a luxury tax after I think 150 or 175mil
    NHL - could hit 70-75mil per team with a hard cap this year
    NFL - 144mil this year but the last 3 seasons its gone up significantly due to MASSIVE TV contracts and expected to go up again next year significantly... and supposedly last year alone ESPN payed 100mil for 1 playoff game between Carolina and Arizona on Wild Card weekend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLB - average $100M, Dodgers pay $270M
    NBA - cap $63M, luxury tax $76M (but spread over far fewer players than other sports)
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's really needed is crowds at lower levels - college, really. That's the way football and basketball moved up to the level of baseball. High school and college are where the American audience is won. Well, the audience the networks and sponsors care about, anyway.

MLS can pass hockey in most of the US but it may take a lot longer to get to the level of the other sports.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLB - average $100M, Dodgers pay $270M
    NBA - cap $63M, luxury tax $76M (but spread over far fewer players than other sports)
    is MLBs only 100mil per team? I'm sure its higher no?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers7 View Post
    I am not sure, I heard that on ESPN or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The difference between top and bottom is really quite shocking:

http://deadspin.com/2015-payrolls-an...eam-1695040045

Dodgers at $270 million and Marlins at $68 million.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    The difference between top and bottom is really quite shocking:

http://deadspin.com/2015-payrolls-an...eam-1695040045

Dodgers at $270 million and Marlins at $68 million.
    I thought my knowledge was better although I was semi close I said the MLB cap was between 150 and 175mil and anything over had the luxury tax
    Right now until the end of 2016 the MLB salary cap is 189mil

wikipedia info:
    From 2012 through 2016, teams who exceed the threshold for the first time must pay 17.5% of the amount they are over, 30% for the second consecutive year over, 40% for the third consecutive year over, and 50% for four or more consecutive years over the cap

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Point is, anyone who thinks soccer will just overtake hockey over time doesn't want to rate that when you go to an MLS game, you are seeing a soccer game, but at an NHL or NBA or MLB or NFL game, you are seeing the best players in the world.

This is not trivial. People are not idiots.

(MLS is a very nice minor league business, and I love our team. Just to head that off.)
    Last edited by ensco; 06-02-2015 at 12:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought my knowledge was better although I was semi close I said the MLB cap was between 150 and 175mil and anything over had the luxury tax
    Right now until the end of 2016 the MLB salary cap is 189mil

wikipedia info:
    From 2012 through 2016, teams who exceed the threshold for the first time must pay 17.5% of the amount they are over, 30% for the second consecutive year over, 40% for the third consecutive year over, and 50% for four or more consecutive years over the cap
    And according to that Deadspin article only two teams are above $189 mil - Dodgers and Yankees. I also saw an article recently about how the local TV ratings for baseball were beating national ratings for other sports. I think we forget how popular baseball is in the US sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Point is, anyone who thinks soccer will just overtake hockey over time doesn't want to rate that when you go to an MLS game, you are seeing a soccer game, but at an NHL game, you are seeing the best players in the world.

Hockey is too watered down now just not many people want to admit it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Point is, anyone who thinks soccer will just overtake hockey over time doesn't want to rate that when you go to an MLS game, you are seeing a soccer game, but at an NHL game, you are seeing the best players in the world.

True. But that is a refection of insular NA sports mentality.

It works both ways.

Superbowl
    World Series
    Olympic hockey has 4 contenders on a good cycle.

Doesn't prove you wrong in the least. "sports" fans go to see the best and pay the scalper to see what's hawt.

Perspective is important here in footy land.

Just had to explain to someone how big Blatter resigning is without using Bettman in a kind of example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And according to that Deadspin article only two teams are above $189 mil - Dodgers and Yankees. I also saw an article recently about how the local TV ratings for baseball were beating national ratings for other sports. I think we forget how popular baseball is in the US sometimes.
    The Yankees have their own Network and get insane ratings.
    Baseball is popular but I think its still recovering from 94s strike.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not the Winter Classic. Just games and lots of them.

I expect 3-5 games a year. Games against the Habs, Wings, Hawks, the best teams. Bettman may not like it but he can eat it.
    3-5 outdoor games a year? Doubtful. Maybe some at MLSE would want to do it as often as they can, but the best business model for these events is to create exclusivity to increase the public's demand. At most I could see it happening once a year for the Maple Leafs and perhaps an annual Marlies match. Heck, they could create a special invitational tournament for OHL clubs as well and have some games played there for that. But I just wouldn't bet on multiple NHL winter matches at BMO over the course of one season.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's because you're like me and you think '94 was just a few years ago instead of 21 years ago . Baseball has fully recovered in the US.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the only place it hasn't recovered from that strike is MOntreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's because you're like me and you think '94 was just a few years ago instead of 21 years ago . Baseball has fully recovered in the US.
    It doesn't feel that way lol
    Maybe that's because we're stuck with the Jays lol

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milanista View Post
    and if teams like Milan and Inter can play on hybrid grass, I'm sure TFC can manage to as well
    You realize this has nothing do with our issue here, right? We've covered this so very many times already.

No CFL team has a full schedule on the San Siro surface.

Wait- do they? Cause that would be a big get for a CFL team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the US baseball is part of the culture like hockey, here the Jays get 8k on weeknights (announce 20k), but do ok on the weekends depending on the opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Point is, anyone who thinks soccer will just overtake hockey over time doesn't want to rate that when you go to an MLS game, you are seeing a soccer game, but at an NHL or NBA or MLB or NFL game, you are seeing the best players in the world.

(MLS is a very nice minor league business, and I love our team. Just to head that off.)
    As others have said, hockey is watered down. Yes you are seeing the best talent but with so many teams and so little countries producing hockey players there is a lot of dead weight on each team. I mean look at the Lightning who are in the final right now.. Other than Stamkos that team is full of no-name players for your average sports person like myself.. Johnson, Palat, Kucherov??? who the hell are these guys. These are the World Class Stars?? Meh.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are watching hockey still? Its June....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    As others have said, hockey is watered down. Yes you are seeing the best talent but with so many teams and so little countries producing hockey players there is a lot of dead weight on each team. I mean look at the Lightning who are in the final right now.. Other than Stamkos that team is full of no-name players for your average sports person like myself.. Johnson, Palat, Kucherov??? who the hell are these guys. These are the World Class Stars?? Meh.
    Frankly, people are making this point all the time (that expansion and internationalization have diluted talent pools in the major leagues) but it's pretty controversial - if you believe it, fine.

But it isn't relevant to this argument, which is different - by design, and unlike the other sports, MLS is not major league anything.

btw baseball is the most watered down of all the sports, because elite athletes in the US stopped playing baseball 25-30 years ago (Darryl Strawberry has said he would be a wide receiver at UCLA today).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frankly, people are making this point all the time (that expansion and internationalization have diluted talent pools in the major leagues) but it's pretty controversial - if you believe it, fine.

But it isn't relevant to this argument, which is different - by design, and unlike the other sports, MLS is not major league anything.

btw baseball is the most watered down of all the sports, because elite athletes in the US stopped playing baseball 25-30 years ago (Darryl Strawberry has said he would be a wide receiver at UCLA today).
    Of course MLS isnt' major league compared to the top end leagues in the world. However, if you look at say the swiss hockey league or some other european league I'd say MLS is doing quite well considering it's age and the talent that it has attracted. Not only that but it will continue to attract new talent in the future. In comparison with hockey there is NO other option for the best players in the world because there are so few exceptional hockey players out there. No one but Canada consider's hockey their primary sport. Not Russians, not Swedes... maybe the Fins??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Of course MLS isnt' major league compared to the top end leagues in the world. However, if you look at say the swiss hockey league or some other european league I'd say MLS is doing quite well considering it's age and the talent that it has attracted. Not only that but it will continue to attract new talent in the future. In comparison with hockey there is NO other option for the best players in the world because there are so few exceptional hockey players out there. No one but Canada consider's hockey their primary sport. Not Russians, not Swedes... maybe the Fins??
    Bingo.

This is why I see MLS overtaking NHL in the future. Only Canadians really care about hockey (even then, hockey isn't growing much in Canada these days) and NHL while everyone don't care about hockey and especially NHL except for few Northern US markets and Finland. Russians have their own pro hockey league, but they're more into soccer and basketball than they're into hockey these days.

Problem with MLS is quality not sport itself unlike NHL where hockey isn't simply played as much and there isn't attachment or culture that most Americans can relate to. Hockey for most part is look down on by Americans and even US sports media (and athletes like Tiger Woods....lol) while soccer is becoming (or has already become) part of mainstream America.
    Last edited by TFC07; 06-02-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Well admittedly - it wasn't quite June - but the last three days in May on CBC 2,600,000 watched the Ducks-Hawks game Saturday, 2.2 million watched the Rangers-Lightning game and 759,000 watched the Oshawa - Kelowna Memorial Cup Sunday on Sportsnet. TFC had 126,000. The Women's Canada - England friendly 190,000.
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...181200698.html

Somebody mentioned Blue Jays. Last year for 162 games they averaged something like 590,000 per game. Huge ratings for that many games for Sportsnet.

And admittedly none of that has anything to do with the Argos at BMO but it seems to be what this thread as been talking about the last few posts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TravelPat View Post
    Well admittedly - it wasn't quite June - but the last three days in May on CBC 2,600,000 watched the Ducks-Hawks game Saturday, 2.2 million watched the Rangers-Lightning game and 759,000 watched the Oshawa - Kelowna Memorial Cup Sunday on Sportsnet. TFC had 126,000. The Women's Canada - England friendly 190,000.
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...181200698.html

Somebody mentioned Blue Jays. Last year for 162 games they averaged something like 590,000 per game. Huge ratings for that many games for Sportsnet.

And admittedly none of that has anything to do with the Argos at BMO but it seems to be what this thread as been talking about the last few posts.
    Man, TSN has really fallen off. They better hope soccer becomes huge TV rating booster since they got rights of every thing soccer (UEFA champions league to Canadian soccer rights) in this country now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That's always been my issue with the NHL, it starts too late (first week of october), and ends too late (early to mid june). They should get the season started 2nd/3rd weekend of september, and have it all wrapped up before the end of may.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would argue it should be 3rd week of September with playoffs starting the middle week of March and done by the end of April. But then I'm not a greedy owner/player/agent/broadcaster who wants 80+ games a season to suck out of people who watch that dreck they play during the season. Heck, I can only really watch the NHL for a couple of games during the playoffs before the sheer stupidity of all of it annoys the hell out of me. Playoff beards, injuries not reported, hacking and slashing and pulling not called, mano v mano "He's EVIL" media reports, breathless discussions of how the 4th lines compare, stupid coach comments, mayor bets - its all become so much made to fill air time on Canadian media predictable schlock.

Olympic hockey and the Spengler Cup - everything else (including now every level of junior hockey) is overhyped and overprocessed dog pee sold as manly beer.