Page 174 of 197 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184 ... LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,220 of 5892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    We've proven their dillusions wrong one fact at a time, there's only a couple more they have still dangling around. 1) They still think they're breaking even financially because of the Grey Cup every few years and... 2) They think they're a success because they get 500,000 bored farmboys and grandpas from the prairies watching (they still claim most of the viewers are from the GTA hahahaha!) 3) They think we're losing money. Give me a break...look at our seating map for the next home game, only a few seats available and they're $87/a pop for the upper deck corner seats lol, which means $100 average tickets minimum (remember we also have luxury seating and premium seats) x 27,000 average paid tickets x 20 home games minimum = $54 million + $4 million shirt sponsorship alone + merchandising + food/drink, etc. and we're well over $60 million in revenue. Our DP's are just a quarter of that cost... This is a massive financial success for MLSE even with shit TV ratings. We've only got one way to go, and that's up baby! Expect stadium expansion talk to start again within 2 years. A 10 year old franchise which will one day be among the top sports entities in the entire country, book it.

I say keep calling them out on their dillusional crap since they're always wrong...leave no quarter, they insult TFC or soccer, they pay. Period. Half the fun of sports is stomping on and destroying your most disrespectful and arrogant adversaries, it's fun!
    For the record, I'm just referring to that one twitter account. It's a professional troll account (who has an account here). Ignore him and let him fade away. He thrives on TFC fans responding to his nonsense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin10000 View Post
    For the record, I'm just referring to that one twitter account. It's a professional troll account (who has an account here). Ignore him and let him fade away. He thrives on TFC fans responding to his nonsense.
    Understood, though I'm not one of the guys who respond to him, I'm aware of his account but I don't post on Twitter, just read my feed once a day.

Was hoping to read the debates on his/its profile for pure entertainment value but didn't really see any recent TFC comments or troll posts by BPB.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really shocking for the Argos yesterday. CNE games are the best, great atmosphere, always a pretty good attendance for TFC, even when we were shit. (Man the Argos' record is 4-4, we would have killed for a TFC record like that most seasons LOL. Although I guess they're 1-4 at home so foar, not good.) I just can't believe they couldn't somehow tie into the Ex successfully . Sure there's little local interest, and BMO field is much harder to get to than Rogers Centre (doh...) but their marketing must also suck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Really shocking for the Argos yesterday. CNE games are the best, great atmosphere, always a pretty good attendance for TFC, even when we were shit. (Man the Argos' record is 4-4, we would have killed for a TFC record like that most seasons LOL. Although I guess they're 1-4 at home so foar, not good.) I just can't believe they couldn't somehow tie into the Ex successfully . Sure there's little local interest, and BMO field is much harder to get to than Rogers Centre (doh...) but their marketing must also suck.
    i honestly thought they'd hand out tix in the midway yesterday to have great shots of a full BMO with the rides in the background.
    it would make for good marketing stuff for 2017.

I know they can't keep papering the place, as the SSHs must be furious that everyone not them in the stadium very likely got in for free.

i wonder if the Wolfpack at Lamport will make them want to move there.
    lamport holds 10K
    with some renos...maybe get it up to 15K.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamport_Stadium

it would be good for them.
    and they'd get off our grass.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you like me now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by petor View Post
    how do you like me now?

grimey!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was looking at the Grey Cup tickets and almost the entire stadium is still available.

The pricing is crazy. It would be hugely embarrassing if the Grey Cup didn't even sell. Bell missed the boat in their 1st year of ownership.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN did an interview with the argos CEO about the attendance

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050...uture-1.552705

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    TSN did an interview with the argos CEO about the attendance

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050...uture-1.552705
    Is it already time for me to do another column calling out media for not giving TFC enough attention?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    Is it already time for me to do another column calling out media for not giving TFC enough attention?
    In the interview (5:09 mark) the guys were talking about a winning team like the Jays bringing in good attendance numbers...no mention of TFC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha, you're doing a fantastic job Kurt! That being said, I think now we need to focus on hyping up TFC as we build up to a home playoff game and an MLS Cup run. If we play our cards right and this team keeps along a positive trajectory, this could be THE season where TFC completely flips the script on public perception and increases attendance to the next level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Media doesn't give the Argos attention? TSN is basically the CFL channel during the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winning has nothing to do with the Argos lack of attendance. This team has had success over the years and it hasn't matter. Plus, going into home game #2 this season, the Argos were 2-1 and they couldn't draw flies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Losing Ricky Ray for an important stretch of home games certainly hasn't helped their cause. Winning won't solve all their issues, but a 1-4 record at BMO is not going to entice any casual fans to keep coming back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found that statement bizarre from the TSN host.
    If winning was the main issue, then there wouldn't be much concern, right?
    Winning is not the issue. The issue is they've arguably lost two generations of potential fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Losing Ricky Ray for an important stretch of home games certainly hasn't helped their cause. Winning won't solve all their issues, but a 1-4 record at BMO is not going to entice any casual fans to keep coming back.
    The team overall though is 4-4 and they were an above .500 team leading up to their homes games. It's not like they are an 0-8 team. I don't buy the winning argument at all.

The Argos just aren't cool, and it until they are, they won't get people to come out in large numbers, regardless of record.
    Last edited by 105; 08-22-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think most millennials associate the CFL with Prairie conservatism and frankly no matter what the league does, it is not going to convince young cosmopolitan 20-40 somethings to buy in let alone buy tickets.

Its a demographic and brand fail in Toronto, Vancouver and potentially Montreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another issue is globalization, save for Hockey which has the deepest and widest roots in this country, Canada is transitioning from a cultural backwater of the United States to a more globally interconnected globalized culture. The CFL was great when all they had was that and hockey, when most people didn't own radios let alone TV's and it had tons of fans due to being one of only 2 exclusive sports that got constant play and coverage on CBC radio/tv and newspapers. Times have changed, people have a choice, and frankly the CFL product is a poor imitation of the NFL (everything from referee uniforms to helmets, etc. are a direct copy of what they use in the NFL), they even have marching bands *facepalm*. For all their talk about being a Canadian invention, they're not acting very Canadian and just aping Southern American culture. There's nothing wrong with that except, we have NFL teams 45 minutes away on the QEW that do American culture and pro-football a hell of a lot better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Another issue is globalization, save for Hockey which has the deepest and widest roots in this country, Canada is transitioning from a cultural backwater of the United States to a more globally interconnected globalized culture. The CFL was great when all they had was that and hockey, when most people didn't own radios let alone TV's and it had tons of fans due to being one of only 2 exclusive sports that got constant play and coverage on CBC radio/tv and newspapers. Times have changed, people have a choice, and frankly the CFL product is a poor imitation of the NFL (everything from referee uniforms to helmets, etc. are a direct copy of what they use in the NFL), they even have marching bands *facepalm*. For all their talk about being a Canadian invention, they're not acting very Canadian and just aping Southern American culture. There's nothing wrong with that except, we have NFL teams 45 minutes away on the QEW that do American culture and pro-football a hell of a lot better.
    Your point is valid but we can basically put MLS where you have written CFL and it would also be valid (change American references to Europe)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 105 View Post
    The team overall though is 4-4 and they were an above .500 leading up to their homes games. It's not like they are an 0-8 team. I don't buy the winning argument at all.

The Argos just aren't cool, and it until they are, they won't get people to come out in large numbers, regardless of record.
    I don't dispute their relevance in this market, but if they are to have any hope whatsoever of rebuilding a loyal fan base, they are going to have to start winning some games at home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr k View Post
    Your point is valid but we can basically put MLS where you have written CFL and it would also be valid (change American references to Europe)
    Not really, soccer is part of global culture and there's no alternative for local soccer close to the GTA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without ticket papering & paid attendance numbers who would draw better; Toronto Argonauts or the Rock?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Without ticket papering & paid attendance numbers who would draw better; Toronto Argonauts or the Rock?
    I'd add the Wolfpack in there too.
    Lamport holds almost 10K.

I love the Rock.
    you can sit lower bowl at the ACC for a reasonable price.
    Fans are a little more blue collar. People get after in terms of drinks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say the The Fairlawn United Church of Toronto's Knitting Group...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto Rock are at about 11K. Not too far behind. They've actually done a good job at marketing to a younger demo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Toronto attendance something like:

Jays > TFC > Raptors > Leafs > Rock > Wolfpack > Argos > Marlies

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wolfpack is a big unknown and I highly doubt they will get 10K a game.

That team is going to struggle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Toronto attendance something like:

Jays > TFC > Raptors > Leafs > Rock > Wolfpack > Argos > Marlies
    The only reason Raptors outsell the Leafs is because of the additional floor seating, both are over 100% sold over last season in the same facility. I'd call them a tie (700 seats aren't material to the discussion).

What shocks me is that the Ricoh isn't sold out for what has been good hockey for the last few years; their best average is still 1000 tickets off the Ricoh capacity. Just goes to show that Toronto isn't a hockey town. It's a Leafs town.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Wolfpack is a big unknown and I highly doubt they will get 10K a game.

That team is going to struggle.
    Won't need to to be slotted ahead of the Argos if the Argos continue to draw 5K or so like they did Friday night.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't the media give TFC enough attention, perhaps the answer isn't necessarily that it should. The media (exceptions of course ) will give TFC the attention it most probably thinks it deserves. Why that's an interesting question is, I think, is because TFC (and MLS) and the Argos (in the GTA) actually face many of the same challenges.

I think that MLS has reached the ceiling of where it can get with the notion of incremental growth through salary restraint and the DPs rules. Similar to Argos, TFC and MLS is perceived to be minor league - well because it is. MLS can't get to where it needs to go and can go without taking the handcuffs off. Only when the franchises we have now become clubs and only when those clubs can grow and complete like clubs in the rest of the world will the more than 500K that regularly get up to watch Swansea play Fulham start to consider it. 3 DPs isn't going to work for the majority of soccer people - they know it's a gimmick - there's no balance in the teams - yes it's great to watch Altidore and Giovinco (in that order for me ), but it's gimmicky soccer really - it's not going to work for most soccer fans. I think the larger media has a way of getting it, somehow.

The Argos fans want more people to care about the team, we want the media to care about TFC, but both see minor leagues because that's what we both have. The difference is that TFC and MLS can change that, if only MLS would start listening to and appeal to the broader soccer base, I think Argos need to re-evaluate and listen to the broader base too - and go where they are wanted - I wish the luck, I'm sure they have a place.
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane