Page 169 of 197 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173179 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,070 of 5892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair that's much better than the last games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should be a decent enough crowd....for Winnipeg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Looking like a great night for a CFL watcher to walk and grab a cheap seat. Maybe even cop some freebies if they need to paper the joint again. Mind you, it's a Friday night, it'll be hot, maybe wet and, you know, stuff, like Tommy Youngsteen playing the Horseshoe, is going on.

A lot of tickets available according to this map.

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/toronto-a...0050B1B3766FF1
    may want to rethink it, chances of thunderstorms around gametime, do you really want to witness the destruction of the pitch?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tomorrow will be a test for the turf.
    they'll have 2 weeks to get it back to Soccer Quality.
    although i think there is another pointy ball game before Aug 27.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    tomorrow will be a test for the turf.
    they'll have 2 weeks to get it back to Soccer Quality.
    although i think there is another pointy ball game before Aug 27.
    1 week

Game on Saturday August 20th @ 4pm

If it rains big time during either Argo game, time for the grounds people to take the next test level.

I would point out that its not in the Argos best interest to have a mud bowl for a game either. I'm not that much into conspiracy theories- the Argos got more important things to worry about then the type of field they step on. By all accounts, they like the grass field and feel it gives them an advantage.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 08-11-2016 at 04:01 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking like a great night for a CFL watcher to walk and grab a cheap seat. Maybe even cop some freebies if they need to paper the joint again. Mind you, it's a Friday night, it'll be hot, maybe wet and, you know, stuff, like Tommy Youngsteen playing the Horseshoe, is going on.

A lot of tickets available according to this map.

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/toronto-a...0050B1B3766FF1
    Its going to a very busy night downtown for sure tomorrow with a packed Rogers Centre and ACC with the Jays and Hip respectively. The Argos may get some who decided they want a night out all depending on the weather. You never know.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jays. Hip. Youngsteen.

Plus the usual score of other things to do on a typically busy night in a big city.

Like I said. Stuff. Lots of it. Thank Gord the Leafs are playing away to Brantford in Intercounty League playoff action. Can you imagine...?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Jays. Hip. Youngsteen.

Plus the usual score of other things to do on a typically busy night in a big city.

Like I said. Stuff. Lots of it. Thank Gord the Leafs are playing away to Brantford in Intercounty League playoff action. Can you imagine...?
    Love your sarcasm

That said, it's a bit of a glass house scenario here and in it, we have soccer fans watching all kinds of things on tv that aren't actual TFC games.

It's easy to imagine why not. What with all the repeat episodes of Murdoch Mysteries and ESPN Lumberjack challenges rebroadcast from 2008 going on. Granted, we aren't counting the tens of millions of TV fans that are cordcutters who manage to stream their MLS Soccer (Major League Soccer Soccer?) but use regular cable for the Leafs, Raptors, Jays and Argos.

On a serious front,I'd say it's pretty encouraging to see local teams doing well and very encouraging to see that this shared pitch scenario seems to be working. I was really concerned about the turf coming back. Granted we haven't had any rain in what seems like months but so far so good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Granted we haven't had any rain in what seems like months but so far so good.
    This summer has been completely fucked. 30+ degrees every day, humid, and barely a drop of rain. It's like the Serengeti.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love your sarcasm

That said, it's a bit of a glass house scenario here and in it, we have soccer fans watching all kinds of things on tv that aren't actual TFC games.

It's easy to imagine why not. What with all the repeat episodes of Murdoch Mysteries and ESPN Lumberjack challenges rebroadcast from 2008 going on. Granted, we aren't counting the tens of millions of TV fans that are cordcutters who manage to stream their MLS Soccer (Major League Soccer Soccer?) but use regular cable for the Leafs, Raptors, Jays and Argos.

On a serious front,I'd say it's pretty encouraging to see local teams doing well and very encouraging to see that this shared pitch scenario seems to be working. I was really concerned about the turf coming back. Granted we haven't had any rain in what seems like months but so far so good.
    Oh dear. The ratings thread is bleeding.

Lucky for the Argos the people at home aren't concerned with how many made it to the game.

Here's hoping for pics of the pitch tomorrow.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    This summer has been completely fucked. 30+ degrees every day, humid, and barely a drop of rain. It's like the Serengeti.
    On the plus side, my drives are going 300+ yards... that said, I could probably putt 100 yards on some of these fairways.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Oh dear. The ratings thread is bleeding.

Lucky for the Argos the people at home aren't concerned with how many made it to the game.
    It's weird isn't it? Some corners of TFC don't concern themselves with staying home but rather how many saw them on TV

I'm just thrilled that we don't have GolTV in Standard Definition as the default broadcast anymore.

Here's hoping for pics of the pitch tomorrow.
    Looks like the weather folks were wrong again. I would love a job where I only have to be right 10-20% of the time.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's weird isn't it? Some corners of TFC don't concern themselves with staying home but rather how many saw them on TV

I'm just thrilled that we don't have GolTV in Standard Definition as the default broadcast anymore.

Looks like the weather folks were wrong again. I would love a job where I only have to be right 10-20% of the time.
    Damn, Pook. Looking for demons on both sides of the coin. I wasn't even calling out just relating what I know we both here/see so much here - "Looks empty blah blah blah". No matter the sport.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True dat!!!! That was brutal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd take GOLTV over what we have now, nothing any day. No pre or post game coverage, no highlights, no coverage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    I'd take GOLTV over what we have now, nothing any day. No pre or post game coverage, no highlights, no coverage.
    I'll take a HD broadcast of the game, then the highlights in TFC's YouTube channel, and whatever coverage they put up on the team's website. Those old GolTV broadcasts looked shabby as hell.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tonight's attendence was 15k... Argos gotta start giving away seats to fill atleast the lower bowl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo23 View Post
    Tonight's attendence was 15k... Argos gotta start giving away seats to fill atleast the lower bowl.
    I wonder what will the excuses be for tonight?
    - Tragically Hip concert
    - Blue Jays game
    - The heat
    - Olympic swimming
    - it's a Friday night and all the young fans are busy out

Am I missing something?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought they'd get a good number tonight. Finally a Friday game. Loads of radio ads.

https://twitter.com/dpint01/status/764279279907725315

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post
    - Tragically Hip concert
    - Blue Jays game
    - The heat
    - Olympic swimming

Am I missing something?
    They were "watching it on TV"

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post
    - Tragically Hip concert
    - Blue Jays game
    - The heat
    - Olympic swimming

Am I missing something?
    The Jays game was the big one, from what I saw (we got 28k during a Jays game).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The big one for me is that when you are only playing 9 home games and you can't at least get 20 000 to your games then you definitely have problems. It's crazy but with all the hype they got with this move to BMO and with all the coverage they get from one of the biggest sports network in the country they still are having attendance problems. TFC are an after thought on TSN during their sports news coverage while the Argos are treated like a big time sports team but look who easily out draws the Argos and having almost double the dates to fill. I'm loving this I'm just remembering all the Argo loving media guys back in the day who would always crap on soccer, looks good on them.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Argos are a long term fix.

Short term the problem is a gutted marketing and sales infrastructure that needs to get back on its feet. Years of neglect require time and attention. I read that they are pouring 7 figures into marketing going forward.

The big problem with season ticket holders is the economic equation there. You've got this massive stadium that isn't full. Why buy tickets in bulk for a slight discount when you can get online deals day of game?

The good news for them is that there is support beyond the stadium. They have to find the equation that converts that into value to get people out of their house.

Grey Cup was a shot at it... since they are hosting a few of them over the next few, why not include a free Grey Cup ticket for those that bought a season seat and made a 3-5 year commitment (like the Winnipeg Jets did)? Something to give value to the equation.

But this is MLSE Lite here. Of course they won't do that. They jack Grey Cup price up to hundreds a seat to cash in on the one game at the expense of the others.

Knocking the Argos fan base is misguided. We know too well what management policy can do to fan support.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argos are a long term fix.
    I have to disagree with you here. There is no fix for this team. Attendance is down because there is no interest or desire to watch pointy ball. The TV viewership is high because its mostly out of town/province folks that are watching this team (which will be confirmed if TSN ever publishes those figures). And those folks have there own team to support so then wont be coming out here to attend an arogs game. As a recent article stated MLS has more attendance than CFL in the three cities with MLS teams. There is a pattern its not just an argos problem. The interest is fading for this game. When parents dont allow their kids to participate in a sport, it will die. ie more field hockey is being played and cricket than pointy ball at the youth level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    I have to disagree with you here. There is no fix for this team. Attendance is down because there is no interest or desire to watch pointy ball. The TV viewership is high because its mostly out of town/province folks that are watching this team (which will be confirmed if TSN ever publishes those figures). And those folks have there own team to support so then wont be coming out here to attend an arogs game. As a recent article stated MLS has more attendance than CFL in the three cities with MLS teams. There is a pattern its not just an argos problem. The interest is fading for this game. When parents dont allow their kids to participate in a sport, it will die. ie more field hockey is being played and cricket than pointy ball at the youth level.
    I gotta agree with you on this. Someone posted on reddit evidence that shows how there are more searches for "Toronto Argonauts" in Regina than the whole city of Toronto. There are also more searches for the team name from Saskatchewan and Manitoba combined than this whole province. Even BC and Montreal get less CFL searches than the prairies, all this can be verified on the Google Trends website. This is a prairie TV eyeballs league, which is why an official breakdown of the regional numbers haven't been published beyond the marketing spin and BS.

That being said, if we have a rain game with their team and the pitch is pristine after, we should shut down this thread, they'll no longer be relevant to us, just another minor tenant like rugby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The biggest problem is a lot people pretend there isn't a problem because CFL ratings are good. But I'm guessing since they continue to resist releasing a breakdown of the ratings, there's very little viewership/interest in the Argos in the 416. Most of the TV viewership is coming from the Prairies and Northern Ontario. If you look at google trends, the area where Argos interest is higher than TFC is in the Prairies. TFC has a big advantage everywhere else and it's not really close.

https://www.google.ca/trends/explore...,%2Fm%2F01lpwh

If Bell wants the Argos to succeed they really need to reduce season seat ticket prices. Get paying people in the seats and fill the place. Make it the cheapest seat in town. Give season seat holders tickets to the Grey Cup. They give no incentive for people to attend games live and you need to give people incentive in this crowded Toronto sports/entertainment landscape. But they won't do it, since they seem content with 15K in the seats, while making millions from Grey Cups every few years. And as long as 500K are watching on TV across the country, nothing will change.
    Last edited by 105; 08-13-2016 at 10:25 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    Your point on participation is a fair one but let's also acknowledge that participation in football in Canada at the youth level has never been significant. My first experience with football was Grade 9 when I signed up for high school tryouts. The coach had to explain the positions. There was no peewee football back then.

Football's popularity in general isn't declining. Ratings suggest it's strong both here and in the USA.

I would bet that southern Ontario ratings aren't as strong as out west. But the decision to buy the Argos was made by 2 strong business entities that looked at the full picture. That includes gates, TV revenue, playoffs and Grey Cups. Grey Cups were one of the driving factors Leiweke pointed to when pushing stadium expansion.

I get there is a soccer v football under current here and in CFL circles. The reality is they aren't going anywhere and you know what... this shared stadium thing has worked so far.

Grass is fine. TFC dates are protected. Seats are still red. Roof is appreciated. What is there to complain about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    That being said, if we have a rain game with their team and the pitch is pristine after, we should shut down this thread, they'll no longer be relevant to us, just another minor tenant like rugby.
    Grass is fine. TFC dates are protected. Seats are still red. Roof is appreciated. What is there to complain about?
    Just wanted to link these two posts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think 1/5 of the crowd were Blue Bombers fans. Also, walking around the concourse I overheard a group of young fellas in Winnipeg jerseys discussing Chelsea's chances this year with Conte lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    I think 1/5 of the crowd were Blue Bombers fans. Also, walking around the concourse I overheard a group of young fellas in Winnipeg jerseys discussing Chelsea's chances this year with Conte lol.
    Where did all those Blue Bombers fans come from? They're local fans or people who flew over?