Page 145 of 197 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,350 of 5892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    Goodwill has nothing to do with it. Don't hold your breath.
    Toronto and NFL will not happen until pay per view TV completely destroys network television and the great American (football and network tv) intertwine. Present NFL tv contracts nets billions and the return to LA is related to making those networks happy. Canadian viewership means nothing to US networks, NFL Canadian tv contract is nickel and dime stuff to the mighty NFL.

btw
    And next Super Bowl the CRTC is promising American ads available to Canadian viewers?? A people pleaser, but an economic head scratcher. CTV(Bell) and the NFL are appealing that decision... I guess NFL cares enough to attempt to protect Bell's investment...
    Well, sure. The Canadian TV contract is small compared to the USA, but Bell still pay quite a bit for Canadian rights. Which is another reason why they don't really need a team in Toronto, the TV ratings might be affected a little for the games a Toronto team was playing, but overall the effect on ratings would be negligible. It's going to complicate things when Facebook gets the rights (looks like they are bidding on Thursday night games to start) and other services like that.

Bell made a deal with the CRTC (not an official deal, of course), in exchange for losing that commercial revenue they don't have to make as much Canadian content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look I breath, eat and sleep soccer but the fact that the CFL is behind this proposed league is one reason I'm very skeptical about it all, and who wants to go watch a game in a 25000 seat stadium on turf with if your lucky 5000 people in it ya that's going to get people excited to go back. Why not play and start in smaller venues than start in these big CFL turfed stadiums with 90 percent of the stadium empty?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Argos have always shared a stadium with a team. It's kinda sad because they could never support themselves to own a stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo23 View Post
    The Argos have always shared a stadium with a team. It's kinda sad because they could never support themselves to own a stadium.
    Who did the Argos share Exhibition Stadium with prior to the Blue Jays moving in 1977?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
    Who did the Argos share Exhibition Stadium with prior to the Blue Jays moving in 1977?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    I know other events were held at Exhibition Stadium but I'm pretty sure the Argos were the only sports team tenant at the stadium prior to the Blue Jays moving in, in 1977. Do you consider Bon Jovi a tenant at the ACC?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know other events were held at Exhibition Stadium but I'm pretty sure the Argos were the only sports team tenant at the stadium prior to the Blue Jays moving in, in 1977. Do you consider Bon Jovi a tenant at the ACC?
    Bon Jovi is not a sport, auto racing is.

Here is a brief history of auto racing at CNE Stadium...

http://www.canadianracer.com/cne.asp

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ex was built for....the Ex.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhibition_Stadium

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Look I breath, eat and sleep soccer but the fact that the CFL is behind this proposed league is one reason I'm very skeptical about it all, and who wants to go watch a game in a 25000 seat stadium on turf with if your lucky 5000 people in it ya that's going to get people excited to go back. Why not play and start in smaller venues than start in these big CFL turfed stadiums with 90 percent of the stadium empty?
    Which smaller stadiums? Then there would be no partnership. As for the surface and attendance at that level it's been done before and for other sports. The difference being that our game, the one you live and breathe, can benefit from having another tier full of more Canadians trying to make it to the next level.

Why worry about what smaller city fans think of a half or more empty stadium if it's attended and contributing to the Canada footy landscape. It's happening already in Edmonton and Ottawa and both those cities have supporter groups that are building something for the culture.

Why would you want to deny that to at least a dozen if not more smaller cities in the Country?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo23 View Post

Sounds like the Golden age for the team from '59 to '77. 12 Grey Cups, too. Wonder if BMO will hold that many. Never saw Argos there but I did see the Jays in the early '80's.

SO

The Argos have never had their own stadium but there WAS a time they didn't share with another TEAM.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 03-16-2016 at 09:51 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Toronto Blizzard of the old NASL played there from 1979 to 1983 they shared the the stadium with the Jays and Argos.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty hilarious.
    the Argos just called me pitching season tix at BMO.
    I bought an Argo Flex Pack in 2005, bought Grey Cup Tix.
    I haven't paid for an argos ticket since TFC came into existence.

Anyways, i got the sense the sales guy was gripping.
    I didn't let on that I do work for the RPB, so obviously a TFC guy.
    I kind of played dumb.
    I said stuff like I thought it was a bad move, that the Argos were the impetus for the construction of the SkyDome.

I said how the fall weather by the lake isn't ideal.
    He countered with stuff about there will be some summer day games, which will be good for drinking beer.

I said i'm not that down with the CFL anymore.
    He countered that if will be an event to be down there.

if they are using Season Ticket holder lists from 2005, things can't be going amazingly.
    Last edited by Wagner; 03-21-2016 at 11:59 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are definitely gripping if they're using eleven-year-old legacy data to get people to buy tickets.

Reminds me of the time I got a call from Rogers trying to sell me a cable package. When I said I didn't want cable he asked, "So, what do you do, read books?"

I said yes, and then he followed it up with, "We have Book TV." I laughed so hard.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    They are definitely gripping if they're using eleven-year-old legacy data to get people to buy tickets.

Reminds me of the time I got a call from Rogers trying to sell me a cable package. When I said I didn't want cable he asked, "So, what do you do, read books?"

I said yes, and then he followed it up with, "We have Book TV." I laughed so hard.
    Book TV LOL. That HAS to be the biggest waste of electricity, ever.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Does anybody think people buy into sections like this?

That was March 1st.

Today

Same Section

As far as I can figure, they've sold 25 seats in that section in 4 weeks. Better then I thought when I first looked at it but......hardly hot cakes.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-30-2016 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are just over 13,000 as of yesterday.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not bad for a team doing less then 10K the last few seasons. But, far from the "we are going to sell out every game" talk of some of the gridiron only people.

Of note, when I went to look at Ti-Cat season tickets today (the impetus that got me thinking back to this), they said all of one side was unavailable. Not sure I trust that either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not bad for a team doing less then 10K the last few seasons. But, far from the "we are going to sell out every game" talk of some of the gridiron only people.

Of note, when I went to look at Ti-Cat season tickets today (the impetus that got me thinking back to this), they said all of one side was unavailable. Not sure I trust that either.
    it is true.
    People love their Ti-cats.
    Hamilton has a lot of civic pride.
    also, really good tailgating at Scott Park.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I believe they have sold a boat load of season tickets in Hamilton. I just don't trust a ticket map that says one whole side of the field is unavailable - that's not how life works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was March 1st.

Today

Same Section

As far as I can figure, they've sold 25 seats in that section in 4 weeks. Better then I thought when I first looked at it but......hardly hot cakes.
    looks like our usual attendance in the eastside upper deck.
    Does it suck to sit up there? i guess sun in your eyes is a factor for many people. Roofs might help with that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    looks like our usual attendance in the eastside upper deck.
    Does it suck to sit up there? i guess sun in your eyes is a factor for many people. Roofs might help with that.
    The new upper east stand it dam far up, when I went up to visit a buddy in town from NYC, a NYCFC supporter in the away section, it was quite the hike , a pretty steep walk up. I would not want to be up there on a regular basis.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be they sell the TV view side first. Make it appear full.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    Could be they sell the TV view side first. Make it appear full.
    They absolutely would do that = using best available does not pick the best available seats, it picks the seats that they want to sell next.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you ARE a TFC season seat holder (me thinks you must be) my guess is that they are calling you from that list instead of from a decade old list of leads for the Argos.

If anyone from 'the Argos' calls me about tickets the rant they will get from me in return will make their telephone melt into their desk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think i looked at ticket prices for my seat for argos. they were double...and for half the games. did anybody else see anything like that ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    If you ARE a TFC season seat holder (me thinks you must be) my guess is that they are calling you from that list instead of from a decade old list of leads for the Argos.

If anyone from 'the Argos' calls me about tickets the rant they will get from me in return will make their telephone melt into their desk.
    When I was called, the salesman specifically referenced that I was a past SSH. And I only did that in 2005.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deltox View Post
    i think i looked at ticket prices for my seat for argos. they were double...and for half the games. did anybody else see anything like that ?
    My seat in 221 is $150 less for an Argo season ticket.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as there are no lines on the turf and the field is playable , I see no problem. In reality, BMO field was always a venue and never built to be a soccer shrine.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    Neat , I saw a few later races there and Pinecrest especially as a kid .....also several music acts of course , as well as the 'ahem' Argos . As an earlier Argos fan , I says all the old greats , I still hate that they are inevitably leaching our venue away from us .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana