Page 94 of 197 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104144194 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,820 of 5892
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be quite amusing to see the Argos switch their color patterns to red and dark red to match their guest home decor.

#doublered

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Yeah that is what I was thinking too.

You know what stood out to me about the interview with the Argos head coach? He said it was bigger than he thought and that he had never been to BMO Field before. I am pretty shocked at that. I would think since he was the head coach of the Argos and his team was possibly moving into BMO Field from now on, you would think he would have at least come to the stadium to check it out in case he had any concerns at all. I wouldn't think he would have waited for the press conference after the decision has been made to come out and see BMO. Kind of a joke really.
    Its sad from my point of view.

Imagine having the oldest sports franchise in North America and not having an existing stadium to call home. It seems the whole teams mentality is to just float along with whatever comes your way.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those interested...here is the BMO Field (Exhibition Place) Consolidated Financial Statements for the Year Ended December 31, 2013 http://www.explace.on.ca/database/rt...%208-Stats.pdf

2014 Financial Statements don't include BMO Field revenues due to an agreement between the City and MLSE http://www.explace.on.ca/database/rt...tements(1).pdf

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Careful now, many Argos/CFL fans feel the same way about a some TFC fans. Considering that it was funded on the premise that the stadium could be used for both sports, I think they have a little more of an argument.
    Was BMO Field initially funded with the intent to be a multi-use facility? Sure, that's true enough. I don't have a problem with that statement.

But let's consider the reality of the recent past starting with before the stadium was even completed.

Who having been buying and renewing season tickets at a record level over the stadium's lifespan - thus enabling all invested parties (MLSE and the City) to see a quicker return on investment? Soccer fans - not CFL fans.

Who have been buying the goods at the concessions and vendors which has put even more money in the pockets of those aforementioned investors? Soccer fans - not CFL fans.

In fact, have the Argos contributed a single cent to those investors with regards to BMO Field? Nope. So yeah, as a guy who has paid every year for his seat than picks up an ice cream or soda every once in a while on gameday - you know, someone who has actually been contributing to the repayment of the facility, I think I'm in a pretty good position when I call those who haven't paid a cent entitled.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 05-26-2015 at 05:19 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    This is great news. Many of us have proposed the idea in this thread, and it seems to be a viable alternative for all parties involved.

If the Argos play on a separate artificial turf that won't compromise the hybrid pitch, I will have absolutely no concerns about ground sharing.
    Agreed. Come up with a 2 surface solution. Roll the turf over for the argos and I'd feel much better about the ground share. I have no faith in MLSEs current optimism or promises regarding the pitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Was BMO Field initially funded with the intent to be a multi-use facility? Sure, that's true enough. I don't have a problem with that statement.

But let's consider the reality of the recent past starting with before the stadium was even completed.

Who having been buying and renewing season tickets at a record level over the stadium's lifespan - thus enabling all invested parties (MLSE and the City) to see a quicker return on investment? Soccer fans - not CFL fans.

Who have been buying the goods at the concessions and vendors which has put even more money in the pockets of those aforementioned investors? Soccer fans - not CFL fans.

In fact, have the Argos contributed a single cent to those investors with regards to BMO Field? Nope. So yeah, as a guy who has paid every year for his seat than picks up an ice cream or soda every once in a while on gameday - you know, someone who has actually been contributing to the repayment of the facility, I think I'm in a pretty good position when I call those who haven't paid a cent entitled.
    I don't know why we keep going around and around on the history. BMO was funded to be the National Soccer Stadium. Although it's true to say that the city said it should be convertible for football it is totally false to suggest that was what the funding was for - the federal and provincial funding was for the hosting of an international event, and the city's funding replaced that of the Argos when they dropped out. Sure, the door was left open a tiny bit, but when it went to grass that door closed. argos types should be basing their arguments on merit, not on a twisted sense of entitlement.

separately, where the hell is the CSA in all this? Too busy voting for Sepp Blatter to speak up to save the pitch in the National Soccer Stadium? I blame them more than Tim L, Larry T, or any one else in this debacle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Just to be clear - all the Usector people I know where trying to get away from the handout. That was very clear to me that their group was on the same page as everyone else. The problem was they went to their stand first and it the section is massive.
    Thanks Phil.

Most who grabbed beers were not regulars in the section. Many certainly had bought from scalpers. A few U-Sectorians did in fact take beer much to my great disappointment. I saw one "visitor" take three of the damned things.
    Last edited by Blizzard; 05-26-2015 at 08:54 PM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I don't know why we keep going around and around on the history. BMO was funded to be the National Soccer Stadium. Although it's true to say that the city said it should be convertible for football it is totally false to suggest that was what the funding was for - the federal and provincial funding was for the hosting of an international event, and the city's funding replaced that of the Argos when they dropped out. Sure, the door was left open a tiny bit, but when it went to grass that door closed. argos types should be basing their arguments on merit, not on a twisted sense of entitlement.

separately, where the hell is the CSA in all this? Too busy voting for Sepp Blatter to speak up to save the pitch in the National Soccer Stadium? I blame them more than Tim L, Larry T, or any one else in this debacle
    Yeah, I suppose that's the best way to say it. Again, in the end the intent was one thing but the reality that unfolded is another.

And let's not forget one very important note: With each renovation and expansion at BMO - from getting grass installed to installing more seats in the north, the City has agreed and signed off on each and every one of those projects knowing that it would make putting a CFL girdiron on the playing surface even that much more difficult.

There has always been a theory that BMO Field was always a mutli-use facility, but in practise it's been soccer-only. Well, and a bit of lacrosse.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As we approach 100 pages for this thread, it's sad the decision was made. But the decision was ultimately made. Meaning all these valid arguments, and protests on why the Argos shouldn't be in the home of Canada and Toronto soccer, will not go unnoticed but will not change the decision that was made.

I'm a strong believer that this will be a "told you so" situation. And the real, REAL protest will begin this time, next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There has always been a theory that BMO Field was always a mutli-use facility, but in practise it's been soccer-only. Well, and a bit of lacrosse.
    Don't forget about rugby.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was BMO Field initially funded with the intent to be a multi-use facility?
    Yes, although the contract with MLSE made it very clear that MLSE wasn't going to have to cover 1-cent of the conversion costs that would be necessary to allow for CFL to be played there.

The stadium has always been soccer-specific, not soccer-exclusive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here, maybe this by-law will apply: "About 20 properties have been discovered over the past year to have illegal artificial lawns..."

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015...ake-lawns.html

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    Thanks Phil.

Most who grabbed beers were not regulars in the section. Many certainly had bought from scalpers. A few U-Sectorians did in fact take beer much to my great disappointment. I saw one "visitor" take three of the damned things.
    I was told there was Bachelor party going on with seats in 113,maybe that's why there was so many "visitors",I'm assuming were the ones getting free beer. ( I know I would,if I was there for the party)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, i think the Argos front office would prefer to rollover fieldturf on top of grass. Its better to cut on, promotes faster players and more consistent with different seasonal weather conditions -- thats why every other CFL team has it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Actually, i think the Argos front office would prefer to rollover fieldturf on top of grass. Its better to cut on, promotes faster players and more consistent with different seasonal weather conditions -- thats why every other CFL team has it.
    I don't know if this is true or not...but I was thinking CFL might actually not use real grass because it is very costly and hard to maintain for pointy ball as it can cause havoc on the grass. Meaning its probably cost a lot of money...something CFL doesn't have much of

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I don't know if this is true or not...but I was thinking CFL might actually not use real grass because it is very costly and hard to maintain for pointy ball as it can cause havoc on the grass. Meaning its probably cost a lot of money...something CFL doesn't have much of
    I would imagine it could devolve into the Argos not wanting to invest at all into a surface. They would say there's no need and they could use the grass. It would MLSE/TFC that would need to invest in a tile system and topturf to protect the life of the grass. The rollover without tiles smothers the grass every time. Once they would do (like for Real Madrid and such) but not for a regular season (I would hope).
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding is that MLSE is investing in Terra tile to protect the grass for other events anyway. The only additional cost would be for the artificial turf for the Argos. It makes so much more sense than trying to maintain the integrity of the pitch for both soccer and football.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding is that MLSE is investing in Terra tile to protect the grass for other events anyway. The only additional cost would be for the artificial turf for the Argos. It makes so much more sense than trying to maintain the integrity of the pitch for both soccer and football.
    I hope they test it up at downsview, like, I don't know, NINE TIMES this year. That will at least account for Argos damage.

So other than a heritage hockey game I hope we're not planning more EVENTS.

Is Genesis touring?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably looking at around $4million for the terra tile and turf all included

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argos were looking fwd to playing on real grass.

Maybe one day when they build their own stadium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That conversion process is not cheap I bet. Hence, they'll try their half-baked solution first.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I would imagine it could devolve into the Argos not wanting to invest at all into a surface. They would say there's no need and they could use the grass. It would MLSE/TFC that would need to invest in a tile system and topturf to protect the life of the grass. The rollover without tiles smothers the grass every time. Once they would do (like for Real Madrid and such) but not for a regular season (I would hope).
    Why would mlse/tfc invest money into maintaince?

If Argos where owned by mlse,yes, but I doubt Rogers is ready to spend money on club that is owned by bell and christmas tree.all damage and grass fix will be paid by Argos owners,rent fee will include that too. Rogers will not put one cent into it,there is nothing for them to gain.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that's the case why do they have to buy a new turf?
    Pretty sure MLSE can get a deal on the turf that they are using at Skydome now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    If that's the case why do they have to buy a new turf?
    Pretty sure MLSE can get a deal on the turf that they are using at Skydome now.
    I guess but I have no idea if it needs special fitting or how old and shit that dome one is. Also, since there are new owners then there should be new advertising and they'd want that on the new rug along with BMO logo, etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they go with the roll out carpet for handegg, buying the plastic tiles would be expensive but couldn't they save the 3mil on Desso because that wouldn't be needed? So all in all it would only be a bit more cash than what they were going to spend?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    If they go with the roll out carpet for handegg, buying the plastic tiles would be expensive but couldn't they save the 3mil on Desso because that wouldn't be needed? So all in all it would only be a bit more cash than what they were going to spend?
    The Terratile site says you need Desso underneath it too.

Bottom line; if they want to do outdoor hockey (and we all know they do) then they have to buy this system regardless. Only additional (possible) extra cost would be new turf for Argos if that old one can't be used.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    The Terratile site says you need Desso underneath it too.

Bottom line; if they want to do outdoor hockey (and we all know they do) then they have to buy this system regardless. Only additional (possible) extra cost would be new turf for Argos if that old one can't be used.
    This sounds promising to me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if it needs Desso to begin with, tell me again why we need a roll out? Is the Desso less hurt by a roll out then by gridiron use?

Edit: OK just saw for events.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    So if it needs Desso to begin with, tell me again why we need a roll out? Is the Desso less hurt by a roll out then by gridiron use?

Edit: OK just saw for events.
    I guess so. They did that auto race in Wembley and by all accounts it was fine but that one NFL game there killed it. But their one big bonus (other than not alienating most of TFC's fan base) would be turning that carpet into one giant billboard of ad crap. I can't see why'd they'd want to miss out on that. Plus less maintenance and re-sodding. After time that must add up to be costly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    I was told there was Bachelor party going on with seats in 113,maybe that's why there was so many "visitors",I'm assuming were the ones getting free beer. ( I know I would,if I was there for the party)
    No, the bachelor party were regulars.

In fact, on Saturday we are going to the wedding, then we (including the groom) go to the game, and then we go to the reception.