Page 132 of 197 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142182 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,960 of 5892
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    you realize that we probably lost $10-15million last year, after making $2million in pre-defoe year (albeit by adding US$17m in salary). And we will probably lose $15-20m this year with fall in C$ (all those salaries are in US$ while revenue is in C$) and BMO walking (drop of $4m in sponsorship). If MLSE wasn't our our owners and underwriting the team we would be in bankruptcy too and their would be no soccer here.
    can we close this thread and just get on with the season?
    Lol that made zero sense. You're making it sound like baboons run MLSE.
    Every single number you've mentioned is inaccurate, and has nothing to do with why the Argos went bankrupted.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a previous poster stated, civic politics has decided this issue. The City of Toronto has decreed that the Argos are to be allowed to use BMO. Since the decision has been made, why don't we all try to accept that both teams have dedicated fans and hope that both teams have successful seasons this year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlton View Post
    As a previous poster stated, civic politics has decided this issue. The City of Toronto has decreed that the Argos are to be allowed to use BMO. Since the decision has been made, why don't we all try to accept that both teams have dedicated fans and hope that both teams have successful seasons this year.
    Umm it's not quite like that. Argos at BMO Field wouldn't have happened so easily if two of our three owners hadn't decided to screw us over. Sure some CFL fans at the city & the Ex could have caused problems with various BMO plans. But the BMO Field agreements only said that it has to possible to convert the stadium for CFL use, not that TFC's owners have to pay for it. W/o somebody buying the Argos and paying for that part of the reno, nothing would have happened. The problem is that Bell and Tannenbaum have a real interest in owning the Argos for various reasons, so they went for it. (Whereas previous MLSE/TFC management, for all its faults, actively worked to keep the Argos out.)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You need to be a certain age to remember when actual numbers of people actually cared (I was one of them).

If you smile when you see the name Zenon Andrusyshyn, then you know what I mean.
    Z, also of the USFL's Tampa Bay Bandits !!!

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously, when I think of the CFL, I think of this crud

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XMXq2-MFhCk

Ahh, stubbies! Old Vienna, the happy, lazy lager beer.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlton View Post
    Time thieves like yourself float in here all the time. Not Interested. Put your energy to good use.

The Argos have just posted job listings for a Director of Communications and a Director of Ticket Sales and Marketing. Your spelling, punctuation and sentence structure have you qualified for at least one of these jobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    I'm 31 and have lived within 100km of Toronto my whole life (less 4 years away for Uni). I've lived downtown TO for the past 7.5 years.
    In my entire life, I've only met a handful of people - definitely in the single digits - who would actually be considered Argos fans.
    All of them have lived quite a distance outside of Toronto (as in 30km-100km away)

The team just doesn't have a high level of real support in Toronto.
    It's not even an argument anyone who actually lives in the city could reasonably make.

Walk around downtown Toronto... people wearing some sort of TFC gear is a somewhat common site (obviously not as often as Leafs/Raps/Jays... but still somewhat frequent).
    You RARELY see any Argos gear.

I'm not even against the Argos.
    They are a historically important team in this country, and should continue to be a part of the CFL.

They just shouldn't be playing at BMO.

It would have been the best for everyone involved, Argos included, if they had a stadium somewhere in the suburbs where the majority of their fan base is actually located.

They should have followed Montreal's lead and partnered with a University - York or UOIT, for example.
    It would have given them a chance to build a proper fan base, year after year, with a new crop of students, and would lend itself naturally to the grass-roots Canadian game.

At BMO, the Argos will no doubt see some early success - people will check out the shiny new stadium out of curiosity - but that interest will have faded by the time the NFL season starts up again in the fall.

Toronto (especially downtown) is a big league city, and with the NFL so readily available, CFL just doesn't cut it.

(That's why the Marlies, the best team in the AHL, play to a small but still half-empty arena. It's why OHL teams can't cut it here.)

Anyone who argues otherwise just doesn't understand the Toronto market.
    I agree 100%. The argos should have partnered with a University. My father and I talked about it years ago when the topic first came up about the argos possibly moving out of the dome. My father to this day cannot figure out why they would not have spent the money in upgrades and moved into Varsity stadium. That would have been a perfect fit for them there given the history of the CFL at Varsity. They dropped the ball there. As for the Toronto market I've been saying the same thing. To survive as a sports franchise in Toronto, you have to be big league. I just hope that the grounds crew can back up what they are saying and keep the integrity of the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need to be a certain age to remember when actual numbers of people actually cared (I was one of them).

If you smile when you see the name Zenon Andrusyshyn, then you know what I mean.
    Yesterday on a Facebook Montreal page someone posted a picture of Johnny Rogers. One of the most obvious signs of the fall of Montreal is how popular the CFL is there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember that punt, even though I was a kid. I didn't realize how extraordinary it was at the time.

Btw, what's with all the banning? I didn't think they were that inflammatory.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    can we close this thread and just get on with the season?
    No.

But please feel free to abstain from it if you need to.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    I'm 31 and have lived within 100km of Toronto my whole life (less 4 years away for Uni). I've lived downtown TO for the past 7.5 years.
    In my entire life, I've only met a handful of people - definitely in the single digits - who would actually be considered Argos fans.
    All of them have lived quite a distance outside of Toronto (as in 30km-100km away)

The team just doesn't have a high level of real support in Toronto.
    It's not even an argument anyone who actually lives in the city could reasonably make.

Walk around downtown Toronto... people wearing some sort of TFC gear is a somewhat common site (obviously not as often as Leafs/Raps/Jays... but still somewhat frequent).
    You RARELY see any Argos gear.

I'm not even against the Argos.
    They are a historically important team in this country, and should continue to be a part of the CFL.

They just shouldn't be playing at BMO.

It would have been the best for everyone involved, Argos included, if they had a stadium somewhere in the suburbs where the majority of their fan base is actually located.

They should have followed Montreal's lead and partnered with a University - York or UOIT, for example.
    It would have given them a chance to build a proper fan base, year after year, with a new crop of students, and would lend itself naturally to the grass-roots Canadian game.

At BMO, the Argos will no doubt see some early success - people will check out the shiny new stadium out of curiosity - but that interest will have faded by the time the NFL season starts up again in the fall.

Toronto (especially downtown) is a big league city, and with the NFL so readily available, CFL just doesn't cut it.

(That's why the Marlies, the best team in the AHL, play to a small but still half-empty arena. It's why OHL teams can't cut it here.)

Anyone who argues otherwise just doesn't understand the Toronto market.
    true say true say

and i hate that I didnt know the marlies were doing so well, i want to support lower hockey but for some reason (probably media), I dont.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The CFL's TV ratings amaze me. I know all the reasons, we've discussed ad nauseam, but it still amazes me.

It's as if there were a couple of million people who still used High Karate or drank Tang or something.
    I know that it's mid February and TFC are floating through the California stage of pre-season, but I am already voting this one as "post of the year" for 2016.
    Pretty sure it was spelled "Hai"....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The real test for the argos will come in season 3 of the BMO hail mary.
    Season 1, they'll sell out, they'll get media attention, they may even win the grey cup. People will say argos football is back.
    Season 2 prices will go up, renewals will drop a bit, crowds will be solid, but the argos will return to a back page story in the sports pages.
    Season 3, they'll start asking once again how do we get fans back to bmo field.
    As tfc supporters, the only issue is the impact on the field surface. As long as by season 3 they haven't gone back to plastic, and the grass is holding up, who cares if they're selling out or playing to friends and family?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Yesterday on a Facebook Montreal page someone posted a picture of Johnny Rogers. One of the most obvious signs of the fall of Montreal is how popular the CFL is there.
    "The Ordinary Superstar!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    The real test for the argos will come in season 3 of the BMO hail mary.
    Season 1, they'll sell out, they'll get media attention, they may even win the grey cup. People will say argos football is back.
    Season 2 prices will go up, renewals will drop a bit, crowds will be solid, but the argos will return to a back page story in the sports pages.
    Season 3, they'll start asking once again how do we get fans back to bmo field.
    As tfc supporters, the only issue is the impact on the field surface. As long as by season 3 they haven't gone back to plastic, and the grass is holding up, who cares if they're selling out or playing to friends and family?
    It will take them winning the Grey Cup to fill the stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    A few points on that.

Some of us remember the 90's when only Edmonton and the Riders had decent crowds. Stable ownership helps but 7 of the 9 are not that far above water.
    Did the Riders pull good numbers in the 90's? Because the only thing I remember about them in the 90's was them having a telethon in a last ditch effort to save the team from going bankrupt. That, and the fact that virtually nobody under the age of 50 cared about them (I was living there at the time and I don't recal a single person beside people in my Dad's demo tha cared about the Riders)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Did the Riders pull good numbers in the 90's? Because the only thing I remember about them in the 90's was them having a telethon in a last ditch effort to save the team from going bankrupt. That, and the fact that virtually nobody under the age of 50 cared about them (I was living there at the time and I don't recal a single person beside people in my Dad's demo tha cared about the Riders)
    i don't think the riders had decent crowds in 90s. Read somewhere that wasn't until oil industry really grew in southern Saskatchewan/Dakotas (early 2000s), then they started selling-out 30k per game. They made over $10M a few years ago, even after putting $15million in upgrading Taylor field and only Leafs and Canadiens make more money in Canada. Its a cash machine now. They're new stadium is supposed to be amazing, way better than the one they just built in winnipeg. If the CSA is playing games at BC Place, maybe they will try a game in Regina when they new stadium is done.
    Last edited by Onyx; 02-09-2016 at 11:14 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The riders also did that smart thing where theu made their logo available for pennies on the dollar. As long as you put together quality marchandise, you could use it.

That made it easy for people to get cheap riders gear and fans walked around wearing the brand as a result.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    The Argos won the Grey Cup in front of 50,000 fans in 2012. So how'd that work for them?

They had about 3,000 season ticket holders last year. Crickets and tumbleweeds in the corporate suite hallways.

So far, the club are telling their fans they've sold around twice that number of season tickets. Oooh. What they say and what's actually valid can be quite different things. You can be sure the Argos' MLSE and TSN connections are leveraging all sorts of existing sponsor arrangements to get tickets sold for year one. There's all sorts of testimonials about this now on Argo fan forums. Well, the one that actually has any fans conversing.

It's not quite papering the joint by handing out freebies - not quite - but it's not a strategy with long-term legs. They didn't have to do that to fill BMO Field with TFC fans.

But it is a way of getting to legitimately announce a number of tickets sold. Whether such 'indentured' purchasers become actual bums in seats is another thing. If people think that getting first crack at Grey Cup tickets is a motivation to buy, well, maybe if you're running a ticket vending operation.

It didn't work when Mississauga St. Michael's Majors of the OHL hosted the 2011 Memorial Cup in the 5,100 capacity Hershey Centre. Great rink, host team guaranteed to be in the final four-team tourney. Season tickets barely hit the 1,500 mark. It was a financial flop. The Majors moved to St. Catharines after the following season.

People in this city have proven over a long stretch of time that they don't care about and won't support minor sports. We're stuck with this fiasco and if it wrecks soccer, there will be hell to pay. And we can thank Liverpool fans for setting a good example of how to react.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 02-10-2016 at 01:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if they were selling premium seats and suites as a combined TFC/Argos and right of first refusal to winter classic as 1 package corporately.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even that won't do it. So few people showed up for celebrating the last Argos GC win. Let's face it, it's mostly guys even older than myself who support the Argos in T-dot.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Argos may have won the Grey Cup in front of 50,000 fans in 2012, but those weren't all Argos' fans.

I remember seeing all of the CFL jerseys that people were wearing downtown that weekend and thinking it was pretty cool - I also remember not seeing many Argos' jerseys.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think its safe to say, the argos name has become so irrelevant in Toronto that Pinball (possibly greatest Torontonian ever) is now seen as a seperate bigger entity than the team he once was synonmous with

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Many of my cousins live west of Ontario. My Saskatchewan cousin is in his late 20s now and he lives for Rider Pride. Got his baby daughters Rider onesies. My other cousins attend Eskimo games whenever they can. The eastern teams need to find a way to duplicate the way the western teams have built their fanbases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Many of my cousins live west of Ontario. My Saskatchewan cousin is in his late 20s now and he lives for Rider Pride. Got his baby daughters Rider onesies. My other cousins attend Eskimo games whenever they can. The eastern teams need to find a way to duplicate the way the western teams have built their fanbases.
    By having nothing else to do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    The Argos may have won the Grey Cup in front of 50,000 fans in 2012, but those weren't all Argos' fans.

I remember seeing all of the CFL jerseys that people were wearing downtown that weekend and thinking it was pretty cool - I also remember not seeing many Argos' jerseys.
    And to be fair the 47k for the CONCACAF game in Skydome weren't all TFC fans. Toronto is pretty trendy when it comes to these big events.

All I know is the Argos who were in first place at the time, played in front of about 3k at Tim Hortons Field this past year for their relocated home game - an hour from Toronto. I think that's a pretty good gauge of the interest level in the Argos.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And to be fair the 47k for the CONCACAF game in Skydome weren't all TFC fans. Toronto is pretty trendy when it comes to these big events.

All I know is the Argos who were in first place at the time, played in front of about 3k at Tim Hortons Field this past year for their relocated home game - an hour from Toronto. I think that's a pretty good gauge of the interest level in the Argos.
    That game was moved on short notice and to their biggest rivals stadium, had everything against it in terms of selling tickets and getting a decent crowd. Anything on short notice is a tough sell. FA Cup replays in England also suffer, so nothing new.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post

i'm pretty sure i read 2012 grey cup win was watched by 6 million, and 3m was ontario viewers, but that includes ottawa and hamilton fans as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh look, the CFL troll is back, with his third account...what a surprise. I can tell by the wording it's another prairie concussion-ball case. What's insecure is constantly creating accounts and trying to talk up your crappy league and its crappy local franchise on another team's forum. Get a life.
    Last edited by mistercorporate; 02-10-2016 at 06:27 PM.