Page 150 of 197 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,500 of 5892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    It is possible that is from the spraying of them off leaving a grass mark. Once the pitch is preped for the game on saturday I would suspect it wouldn't be there.
    Yea, let the grass grow a bit then mow it and it removes the residue? Something like that I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck82 View Post
    I had a question about the revised capacity of BMO now that the north stands are gone. What is the official capacity for soccer now? I thought around 30k. I am curious as I am seeing various articles that state the Argos capacity is between 25k and 27k. How do they lose between 3 and 5k seats? The North end patio can't be that many? Are they tarping over sections?
    Lets work this from two angles:

from seats lost:
    They lost 2000-3000 in north side seats off 30,991 = lets say 2000 = 28991

from football capacity:
    Argos have said capacity is 26500

These are the additional "soccer" seats
    112 32
    113 137
    114 180
    115 90
    116 180
    117 137
    118 32
    128 24
    129 72
    130 24
    101 24
    102 72
    103 24
    26500 + 1028 = 27578

So, true capacity is somewhere between 27600 and 28900 seats.
    30,226 is some number TL pulled out of his ass before he left.
    Last edited by Onyx; 06-16-2016 at 04:36 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, Field seats on the West side are approximately 200.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, your right 192 of those.

27770 plus patio spots

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Yea, let the grass grow a bit then mow it and it removes the residue? Something like that I think.
    Even in the article with the groundskeep he freely mentions they have to trim it shorter than the standard for footy/"what he'd like". It won't be enough to hurt play but for anyone counting degrades in quality...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like they are getting something similar to the King Club Patio http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/06/17/191169/

The SiriusXM Kickoff Show will be held in “The Shipyard,” the Argos’ new pre-game fan festival space located at the foot of Hotel X and in front of the Stanley Barracks at Exhibition Place. The outdoor festival area will serve BBQ food and drinks, including $4 beers, prior to every game at BMO Field this season. Spread across acres of licensed patio, The Shipyard will be a place for Argos fans to meet up before the game to eat, drink and socialize before heading into the stadium.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm....a bar around where the TSN crew will do their pregame show. What could go wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This ticks me off big time. It does not surprise me, but it ticks me off.

I used to smile at those on the RPB forum who railed against MLSE, but now I am railing too.

Face it, after 10 years TFC continues to be a crap product on television. You would never know that TFC are owned by two media conglomerates if you watched a broadcast. If soccer thrives in Canada, MLSE's two media owners see it as a happy accident, not something they want to foster.
    Rogers/Sportnet wants Blue Jays as the summer sport, at the ball park and on tv at home.
    Bell/TSN wants CFL football as the summer sport, at the ball park (now that they own the Argos) and especially on tv at home.

Is there enough CFL football fan demand for both this Shipyard area AND the Ontario Place parking lot tailgate? Just a little cute that they announced the tailgate area weeks before the Shipyard. Seems to me that the Shipyard is meant to be a broadcast backdrop for TSN pregame and postgame shows. Wow, looks like one big TSN promo for CFL to me.

Has something of this ilk EVER been done for TFC? Why do I miss Tim L. so much?

TFC needs an owner - I will be sending out linked-in messages to all of my billionaire friends. Except the Donald....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post

I used to smile at those on the RPB forum who railed against MLSE, but now I am railing too.

Face it, after 10 years TFC continues to be a crap product on television. You would never know that TFC are owned by two media conglomerates if you watched a broadcast. If soccer thrives in Canada, MLSE's two media owners see it as a happy accident, not something they want to foster.
    Rogers/Sportnet wants Blue Jays as the summer sport, at the ball park and on tv at home.
    Bell/TSN wants CFL football as the summer sport, at the ball park (now that they own the Argos) and especially on tv at home.

Is there enough CFL football fan demand for both this Shipyard area AND the Ontario Place parking lot tailgate? Just a little cute that they announced the tailgate area weeks before the Shipyard. Seems to me that the Shipyard is meant to be a broadcast backdrop for TSN pregame and postgame shows. Wow, looks like one big TSN promo for CFL to me.

TFC needs an owner - I will be sending out linked-in messages to all of my billionaire friends. Except the Donald....
    What a weird over reaction, TFC is well supported and successful. We will average 27.5k per match this year and 30k next year. The Argos aren't even going to sellout their home opener at BMO Field on the 23rd even with half of the stands filled with Tigercats fans, their ticket sales are atrocious even if they get papered as hell.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN / Bell makes money off of the CFL. And as Bell owns the Argos, its in their subsidiary's best interest to make out like the Argos are the best/hottest/sweetest thing in town.

Thus the backdrop.

I note that they have to bribe people with cheap beer (like TFC does with its patio too).

I also note that both events are way over on the other side of the parking lot that they expect people to use. I'm still wondering what Argo fans are going to do the Wednesday night before the Indy when these things can't happen at all.

Then there are the two Ex dates when there will be NO parking around for the tailgate and the Shipyard is going to be hell to do security for.

This is hype.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    What a weird over reaction, TFC is well supported and successful. We will average 27.5k per match this year and 30k next year. The Argos aren't even going to sellout their home opener at BMO Field on the 23rd even with half of the stands filled with Tigercats fans, their ticket sales are atrocious even if they get papered as hell.
    I agree with this. All will be told after this season. BMO will not be the revitalizing lifeline all the 'whoo whoo Argos CFL 4 Life' folks think it will be and then they will reassess everything to do with Argos at BMO.

I am sticking to my prediction that after the Leafs buy the tile system this winter that the Argos will roll out over field turf next year and it'll be just absolutely riddled with every and any advertising sponsors they can get. Save $$$ on field maintenance & gain advertising bucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that it is hype.
    I do hope to flip the channel some night and see seagulls in their shipyard...
    I agree that the Argos are not going to be cured by the BMO shift.
    I understand that Bell/TSN make money off of their CFL coverage - does not mean that I have to like it when the hype hits...
    I can paint the Canadian tv love for Jays and CFL as obstacles to TFC progress.

I can dream of new TFC ownership...in my lifetime

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I agree with this. All will be told after this season. BMO will not be the revitalizing lifeline all the 'whoo whoo Argos CFL 4 Life' folks think it will be and then they will reassess everything to do with Argos at BMO.

I am sticking to my prediction that after the Leafs buy the tile system this winter that the Argos will roll out over field turf next year and it'll be just absolutely riddled with every and any advertising sponsors they can get. Save $$$ on field maintenance & gain advertising bucks.
    That will cost more than just getting rid of the grass and it's never been done full time before.

Getting rid of the grass after its proven to have taken too much of a beating is easier than buying those tiles to possibly have to do the same thing the following year.

I agree that the Argos hype machine is already doing its best to lipstick the pig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have the Argos made any announcement of their season ticket totals? I remember when TFC was selling tickets for season 1, they were announcing milestones for season tickets sold all time. Because, you know, they were actually selling a lot of them. I suspect the lack of announcements means Argo season tix sales aren't great.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    TSN / Bell makes money off of the CFL. And as Bell owns the Argos, its in their subsidiary's best interest to make out like the Argos are the best/hottest/sweetest thing in town.

Thus the backdrop.

I note that they have to bribe people with cheap beer (like TFC does with its patio too).

I also note that both events are way over on the other side of the parking lot that they expect people to use. I'm still wondering what Argo fans are going to do the Wednesday night before the Indy when these things can't happen at all.

Then there are the two Ex dates when there will be NO parking around for the tailgate and the Shipyard is going to be hell to do security for.

This is hype.
    I completely forgot about the Indy and Ex - so already the number of tailgates they can hold is down 30%
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    I completely forgot about the Indy and Ex - so already the number of tailgates they can hold is down 30%
    There tailgates are at Ontario Place so it really does not effect them.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Probably not so much for the Ex days, but I doubt it would be successful with the entire place fenced off.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Ontario Place is going to cordon off extremely valuable Ex parking space for hours on end for an Argo tailgate that doesn't maximise that revenue? Paint me skeptical.

Regardless, why tailgate when you got free access to wander over to the Food building and eat some weird heart attack enducing creation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nothing is going to change until TFC stops drawing flies on TV. Only reason the games are on TV is we're owned by SN/TSN, otherwise they wouldn't be. Be happy with what you have and enjoy it. I assume MLSE will take from whatever works for Argos and bring it over to TFC game day production since its basically the same MLSE back office people working on these things.
    Last edited by Onyx; 06-17-2016 at 02:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ontario Place is going to cordon off extremely valuable Ex parking space for hours on end for an Argo tailgate that doesn't maximise that revenue? Paint me skeptical.

Regardless, why tailgate when you got free access to wander over to the Food building and eat some weird heart attack enducing creation?
    agree during Ex, otherwise aren't these guys paying $30-$50 for 6 hours of parking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    agree during Ex, otherwise aren't these guys paying $30-$50 for 6 hours of parking.
    They are selling $30 tailgate passes for every Argos home game including during the Ex.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

Also, is the metal detector and no re-entry stuff 100% for next year or something they are considering?
    If THAT is what we have to live with, then I am fine with it. I had to really, really look at that picture to even see them. And that's before maintenance and prep for soccer.

The real question is whether it remains like that after the 10th time this year that it's been removed, of course. My concern has always been more focused on what condition the grass itself will be in, once the weather starts to turn.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another factor driving season seat sales this year that hasn't been mentioned yet...the Grey Cup. For every 1 season seat you are guaranteed 2 Grey Cup tickets. Season seat price worth not paying secondary market price for Grey Cup.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    nothing is going to change until TFC stops drawing flies on TV. Only reason the games are on TV is we're owned by SN/TSN, otherwise they wouldn't be. Be happy with what you have and enjoy it. I assume MLSE will take from whatever works for Argos and bring it over to TFC game day production since its basically the same MLSE back office people working on these things.
    I agree overall, but it's also a bit of a chicken & egg situation. The TV stations do almost nothing to promote TFC viewership. No pre-game show; minimal exposure; hardly ever show up on the nightly highlights.

I haven't watched much CFL myself, but I've heard that the CFL broadcasts were pretty dour, with much less viewership, before TSN took over in a big way.

Not saying that they could easily make TFC a ratings winner, but they could definitely do more to promote viewership, considering MLSE/TFC is owned by two media conglomerates.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 06-17-2016 at 07:18 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Even in the article with the groundskeep he freely mentions they have to trim it shorter than the standard for footy/"what he'd like". It won't be enough to hurt play but for anyone counting degrades in quality...
    Are you sure about that? I'm definitely no fan of Argos at BMO, but what I remember reading: CFL likes the grass a bit longer; footy likes it a bit shorter. So when they cut off the extra bit after a CFL game, before a footy game, that also helps with the paint removal.

No?!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point, I'm fairly confident that the lines will not be a huge problem - particularly when it's been sunny and warm and dry. At the least, they will not be visible on TV - nobody likes to watch a game being played on the wrong field. I'd like to think that CFL fans wouldn't want a big circle in the middle of the CFL field either (though they have gaudy advertisements on their fields, don't they?).

I'm more curious what's going to happen to the field, including the lines, after it's rained during games and/or the time between.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Yes we are well supported by fooy fans, but as Still Kicking says in spite of TFC getting very little coverage on TV and often negative coverage by our local media. I would love to see pre and post game analysis of TFC and all MLS games on TSN just as they are dong for the Euros. This is the only way Tv ratings are going to improve. The amount of coverage for the Argos, Jays, leafs and Raptors compared to TFC is embarrassing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I agree overall, but it's also a bit of a chicken & egg situation. The TV stations do almost nothing to promote TFC viewership. No pre-game show; minimal exposure; hardly ever show up on the nightly highlights.

I haven't watched much CFL myself, but I've heard that the CFL broadcasts were pretty dour, with much less viewership, before TSN took over in a big way.

Not saying that they could easily make TFC a ratings winner, but they could definitely do more to promote viewership, considering MLSE/TFC is owned by two media conglomerates.
    I think VWFC has proven that there is a case for a modest TV audience for MLS games. That said their viewership is supported by: 1) consistent time slots 2) a more respectable product on the field over the years than TFC has managed. Heck, they've also been pretty progressive with SSH's, people really take to the club. I think TFC still suffers from Anselmi's prior mismanagement and their willingness to so quickly stick their hands as far down everyone's pockets as they could while the team was hot. Short term decision making at its worst.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking OK but still can't tell.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking OK but still can't tell.
    It will look worst from the zoomed out camera angle if their were faint lines. Which I doubt but yeah, first game, good weather, lots of healing time. Today isn't the test.