Page 131 of 197 FirstFirst ... 3181121127128129130131132133134135141181 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,930 of 5892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by epic pylon View Post
    No sorry. You guys are terribly mistaken. The new TV deal almost pays all player salary's right to the cap. It's 15x the revenue they were getting before. In an interview with bob the caretaker he said any CFL team should break even at 20K per season with the new tsn deal and the Economics have changed significantly post 2014 he is making money at 24K. Combine that with new stadiums that have potential to bring in revenue more than just your typical "stands and beer gardens" as for team by team...The bc lions were the CFL's most valuable teams in 2013. They seen a drop last year in attendance (significant) but again that's the world of pro sports and not one team in any league is safe from it unless your the leafs or packers. Montreal watched a veteran QB retire but they are still bringing in 21.5K a season, I hardly call that struggling. Calgary,sask, and Edmonton are just just fine 30K+. Winnipeg is the TFC of the CFL (on field success) Still report profits of 4M+ which is more than some NFL teams. If they can't make money at 24,000 fans than why are they building 24,000 seat stadiums?

NO CFL TEAM HAS PROFITS MORE THAN ANY NFL TEAM. It's not even close.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm passionate about the future of a league I care deeply about. That should be respected by a fan base like yourselves no?

It would be like me trying to convince you that the Impact has no place in Montreal because of the recent attendance trouble's, And that it's a reflection of the MLS and soccers future in Canada. As a TFC fan you would be insulted The same way I am insulted as a bombers fan. You would throw any stat you could at me to try and get your point across like any passionate fan would.

I really hope you see where I'm coming from
    No. I don't.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No sorry. You guys are terribly mistaken. The new TV deal almost pays all player salary's right to the cap. It's 15x the revenue they were getting before. In an interview with bob the caretaker he said any CFL team should break even at 20K per season with the new tsn deal and the Economics have changed significantly post 2014 he is making money at 24K. Combine that with new stadiums that have potential to bring in revenue more than just your typical "stands and beer gardens" as for team by team...The bc lions were the CFL's most valuable teams in 2013. They seen a drop last year in attendance (significant) but again that's the world of pro sports and not one team in any league is safe from it unless your the leafs or packers. Montreal watched a veteran QB retire but they are still bringing in 21.5K a season, I hardly call that struggling. Calgary,sask, and Edmonton are just just fine 30K+. Winnipeg is the TFC of the CFL (on field success) Still report profits of 4M+ which is more than some NFL teams. If they can't make money at 24,000 fans than why are they building 24,000 seat stadiums?
    Please pardon the CFL stats show derail masked as a "debate" from a Winnipeg Blue Bomber fan that may want to see a TFC game "someday".

Back to our regular Argos at BMO thread...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post
    NO CFL TEAM HAS PROFITS MORE THAN ANY NFL TEAM. It's not even close.
    Is that even a debate, no way anyone with a real mind would think that. I would hope so at least.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Is that even a debate, no way anyone with a real mind would think that. I would hope so at least.
    It was said in quote in his post. And no it's not a debate. We can move on.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr k View Post
    According to CFL forums, Argo ticket reps are saying 15k have bought season tix or put down deposits so far.
    I heard it's just a third of that number and the 15k is their reduced target lol..

Argos supporters are so desperate and so allergic to evidence that any yahoo that makes a claim pulled out of his lower orifice inspires an almost viral pathology.
    Last edited by mistercorporate; 02-08-2016 at 11:48 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well to be fair, educated consumers of the CFL in Toronto are few and far to come by. There's a few. There are WAY more people out west who think they know better then locals about what is going on here and comparing this to MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Well to be fair, educated consumers of the CFL in Toronto are few and far to come by. There's a few. There are WAY more people out west who think they know better then locals about what is going on here and comparing this to MLS.
    Yes, it's true. I wish MLS wanted to be like the CFL but sadly the owners want it to be the NFL - with everything that means.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn't agree more.

Just like I keep telling soccer people we are light years away from supporting MLS franchises in any market that doesn't currently have a team - people from western Canada seem to struggle with what the CFL actually is in Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    ... people from western Canada seem to struggle with what the CFL actually is in Toronto.
    I'm 31 and have lived within 100km of Toronto my whole life (less 4 years away for Uni). I've lived downtown TO for the past 7.5 years.
    In my entire life, I've only met a handful of people - definitely in the single digits - who would actually be considered Argos fans.
    All of them have lived quite a distance outside of Toronto (as in 30km-100km away)

The team just doesn't have a high level of real support in Toronto.
    It's not even an argument anyone who actually lives in the city could reasonably make.

Walk around downtown Toronto... people wearing some sort of TFC gear is a somewhat common site (obviously not as often as Leafs/Raps/Jays... but still somewhat frequent).
    You RARELY see any Argos gear.

I'm not even against the Argos.
    They are a historically important team in this country, and should continue to be a part of the CFL.

They just shouldn't be playing at BMO.

It would have been the best for everyone involved, Argos included, if they had a stadium somewhere in the suburbs where the majority of their fan base is actually located.

They should have followed Montreal's lead and partnered with a University - York or UOIT, for example.
    It would have given them a chance to build a proper fan base, year after year, with a new crop of students, and would lend itself naturally to the grass-roots Canadian game.

At BMO, the Argos will no doubt see some early success - people will check out the shiny new stadium out of curiosity - but that interest will have faded by the time the NFL season starts up again in the fall.

Toronto (especially downtown) is a big league city, and with the NFL so readily available, CFL just doesn't cut it.

(That's why the Marlies, the best team in the AHL, play to a small but still half-empty arena. It's why OHL teams can't cut it here.)

Anyone who argues otherwise just doesn't understand the Toronto market.
    Last edited by gdg_9; 02-08-2016 at 03:34 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    ....At BMO, the Argos will no doubt see some early success - people will check out the shiny new stadium out of curiosity - but that interest will have faded by the time the NFL season starts up again in the fall.
    I'm not even sure that is going to happen. Don't forget, by the time the Argos play a game there, TFC will have had 5 home games. The shiny new stadium will have been seen, with its primary tenant.

More like people will check out whether the Argos at BMO is a shiny new event. Might be, but it won't be because of the surroundings being different as much as the atmosphere for CFL is different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not even sure that is going to happen. Don't forget, by the time the Argos play a game there, TFC will have had 5 home games. The shiny new stadium will have been seen, with its primary tenant.

More like people will check out whether the Argos at BMO is a shiny new event. Might be, but it won't be because of the surroundings being different as much as the atmosphere for CFL is different.

Ya, I guess that's sort of what I meant...
    The Argo's home opener in their new "home" will be heavily marketed and will be an event with tons of buzz.
    After that "new" buzz has worn off, they will go back to being mostly ignored in the Toronto market.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm interested to know how Argo last ticket sales are actually doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post

Toronto (especially downtown) is a big league city, and with the NFL so readily available, CFL just doesn't cut it.

(That's why the Marlies, the best team in the AHL, play to a small but still half-empty arena. It's why OHL teams can't cut it here.)

Anyone who argues otherwise just doesn't understand the Toronto market.
    It's probably not just Toronto. I just looked it up and the Marlies average 5,500 a game, pretty much exactly in the middle of AHL teams. Even minor league baseball only ranges from 3000 to 9000. The only 'minor leagues' getting big attendance are NCAA teams.

So, right now, in most citiies the CFL and MLS seem pretty close. in the 20-30,000 range. I expect MLS will go higher but it's not a done deal.

I still think a CFL stadium at York would have been the best thing for the Argos, but it's not my money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    It's probably not just Toronto. I just looked it up and the Marlies average 5,500 a game, pretty much exactly in the middle of AHL teams. Even minor league baseball only ranges from 3000 to 9000. The only 'minor leagues' getting big attendance are NCAA teams.

So, right now, in most citiies the CFL and MLS seem pretty close. in the 20-30,000 range. I expect MLS will go higher but it's not a done deal.

I still think a CFL stadium at York would have been the best thing for the Argos, but it's not my money.
    Even just North of York right next to the 407 Subway stop that is being built. You have direct Highway access to both the 400 ad 407, and a Subway stop.

The Issue is the previous Argos owners have bailed on at least three different projects. They could have had a 24,000 seat stadium built for them at York and screwed over the Ti-Cats in the process so long as they were ok with a track. (they would have had to convince the Pan Am committee of course when Hunter was being difficult and demanding which would have been easier if they hadn't bailed on York once already)

But you won't see Bell and Christmas tree put in the 200-300 million it would cost to build a facility like the one they have in Winnipeg Or even the 150 Million for something like in Hamilton.

It can be done though, if they really wanted too.. I'd be a whole lot more willing to deal with the issues with them at BMO if it was only temporary.
    Last edited by Kaz; 02-08-2016 at 06:17 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The CFL's TV ratings amaze me. I know all the reasons, we've discussed ad nauseam, but it still amazes me.

It's as if there were a couple of million people who still used High Karate or drank Tang or something.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post

The best part about it is that the Argos could've jumped in before Pan Am to get a stadium at York University like the Ticats did. Nope, just decided to move to their friend's place to throw parties once a week and not bother to clean up afterwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The CFL's TV ratings amaze me. I know all the reasons, we've discussed ad nauseam, but it still amazes me.

It's as if there were a couple of million people who still used High Karate or drank Tang or something.
    I think CFL fans see it as its own entity, not connected to Americsn football, more like Australian rules or those rugby fanatics you run into sometimes.

Althouugh now I'm seeing Tang as a sponsor...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And sit on fine Corinthian leather as they wheel their shiny Cordoba over to Eatons.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    The best part about it is that the Argos could've jumped in before Pan Am to get a stadium at York University like the Ticats did. Nope, just decided to move to their friend's place to throw parties once a week and not bother to clean up afterwards.
    That certainly makes sense on the surface, but until Braley sold the team, they didn't have a pot to piss in. They were dropping upwards of $5 mil annually and Braley wasn't about to sink money into it anymore, not after underwriting their losses since 2003, when he provided backstage financial support to Cynamon and Sokolowski. At that point, the Argos were over $20 million in debt, effectively in the midst of a second bankruptcy (tying them with Ottawa and Montreal for most CFL bankruptcies).

It would make so much more sense to give them a home where university and high school football can also be played, creating a showcase venue for the sport, where history and heroes can be acknowledged properly. If they need a bigger ground for the Grey Cup, then BMO Field can take that on.

Civic politics and finance are intruding into the process. I don't think Vancouver Whitecaps really want to play on plastic in their dome, but are playing nice with local politicians to help get the stadium renos paid off to earn enough good will to eventually get their Gastown stadium approved.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 02-08-2016 at 09:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    That certainly makes sense on the surface, but until Braley sold the team, they didn't have a pot to piss in. They were dropping upwards of $5 mil annually and Braley wasn't about to sink money into it anymore, not after underwriting their losses since 2003, when he provided backstage financial support to Cynamon and Sokolowski. At that point, the Argos were over $20 million in debt, effectively in the midst of a second bankruptcy (tying them with Ottawa and Montreal for most CFL bankruptcies).

It would make so much more sense to give them a home where university and high school football can also be played, creating a showcase venue for the sport, where history and heroes can be acknowledged properly. If they need a bigger ground for the Grey Cup, then BMO Field can take that on.

Civic politics and finance are intruding into the process. I don't think Vancouver Whitecaps really want to play on plastic in their dome, but are playing nice with local politicians to help get the stadium renos paid off to earn enough good will to eventually get their Gastown stadium approved.
    you realize that we probably lost $10-15million last year, after making $2million in pre-defoe year (albeit by adding US$17m in salary). And we will probably lose $15-20m this year with fall in C$ (all those salaries are in US$ while revenue is in C$) and BMO walking (drop of $4m in sponsorship). If MLSE wasn't our our owners and underwriting the team we would be in bankruptcy too and their would be no soccer here.
    can we close this thread and just get on with the season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    And sit on fine Corinthian leather as they wheel their shiny Cordoba over to Eatons.

Sweet. I've been getting into mid-century modern lately (got a nice Eames knockoff in Orangeville a while ago) and while the Córdoba pushes a little into the 70s it's still a great image.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's called the Prairies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously, when I think of the CFL, I think of this crud

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XMXq2-MFhCk
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    you realize that we probably lost $10-15million last year, after making $2million in pre-defoe year (albeit by adding US$17m in salary). And we will probably lose $15-20m this year with fall in C$ (all those salaries are in US$ while revenue is in C$) and BMO walking (drop of $4m in sponsorship). If MLSE wasn't our our owners and underwriting the team we would be in bankruptcy too and their would be no soccer here.
    can we close this thread and just get on with the season?
    BMO still our sponsor I believe (Rudi article) and even if not, we'll have another one in their place. Also, according to the report on MLS finance that was posted in the fall, TFC made money last year. Not much and nothing like Seattle, but didn't lose at all even with the high priced contracts. But I do agree that this thread should be buried and so should the notion that TFC is a money pit. Don't do their job for them and help them justify a return to their ticket price gouging ways. They make more money than they ever expected back in 2006 and everything from the big time players to the stadium upgrades shows that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm more like the other 99% of the population and never thinks of CFL at all.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, what's wrong with stubbies and wide glasses and pouring a beer the way its supposed to be poured, into the side so you get just an inch of head?!?!

Ur one of those Fitty drinkers, arn't ya!

I don't miss the 70's, at all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, what's wrong with stubbies and wide glasses and pouring a beer the way its supposed to be poured, into the side so you get just an inch of head?!?!

Ur one of those Fitty drinkers, arn't ya!

I don't miss the 70's, at all.
    Loved the stubbies.

For me .... Ex says it all.

I am not kidding about the OV, Carling owned the Argos and OV and Black Label ads were rampant on every Argo broadcast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    The Argonauts really only bailed one of the those projects. The initial idea of returning to the EX grounds in reality never got off the ground. Now in terms of U of T, what killed that was when president Robert Birgeneau left to become the chancellor at Berkley and the type of facility the incoming regime wanted changed. The desire to build a stadium designed for a pro team just was not there anymore. They wanted a sports facility for the students and thus built the scaled down varsity stadium. Now in terms of York, yes that is the one they walked away from for different reasons including the Rogers folks luring them back, in reality it was Paul Godfrey who did it, he had agenda too.

To to tell you the truth BMO Field only got built because of the 2007 U20 World Cup and not for the desire of bring a MLS team to town, TFC were a bonus of that and no one would have ever predicted their initial success, thus someone could argue BMO Field was not even built for them. Just Saying. There is always going to be two sides to this and that's good.
    You have that right and it's a public facility for that reason. TFC is the main tenant and operates the field and returns a profit to the City/ Ex Place.

given its a public facility, even though it was built as the National Soccer Stadium, the Argos might have a case. Except. The public already paid for a stadium for them, and it cost $600 million dollars. The SkyDome. They got their public subsidy and should either live with it or pay it back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I'm more like the other 99% of the population and never thinks of CFL at all.
    You need to be a certain age to remember when actual numbers of people actually cared (I was one of them).

If you smile when you see the name Zenon Andrusyshyn, then you know what I mean.