Results 2,671 to 2,700 of 5892
    RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    "Guys I'd like you to do some interviews saying you're not worried about the Argos moving in"

"Ok"

Didn't watch it. Wouldn't believe it anyway. I don't believe Tim's damage control.
    Listening to McCown. He even said he doesn't care about soccer, but this is BS by owners.

They just called out ownership big time for screwing us over. I guess Rogers gave them free rein to slam this as it's a Bell/Tanenbaum thing. Bob called this "a load of hooey" by ownership after they said this was going to be soccer-specific and build the sport in Canada.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe bob will wear a black t tomorrow?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He also called out the BS about the field not being chewed up and having lines. Wow. To hear him say the same things we've been saying is pretty funny, considering he has no time for soccer or supporters most of the time. But I guess he sees what a load of crap it is.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Good one..I like that. But seriously, what the hell are the players going to say in public? "I have serious concerns...." Yeah that would fly well for their career in Toronto.
    Those of us who were around in 2007 will remember interviews with players with them saying how Field Turf was as good as grass. This was the party line until DeRo upset the apple cart.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kurtis Larson@KurtLarSUN 1h1 hour ago
    A TFC fan now threatening to protest TFC fans. Hilarious. --> @ChuckThunder
    1 retweet0 favoritesReply
    Retweet1
    Favorite
    More

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Kurtis Larson@KurtLarSUN 1h1 hour ago
    A TFC fan now threatening to protest TFC fans. Hilarious. --> @ChuckThunder
    1 retweet0 favoritesReply
    Retweet1
    Favorite
    More

Well that guy (ChuckThunder) has 330 tweets, 2 followers, and is following one other account -- even after the free publicity from Kurtis Larson. Don't feed the hopeless & irrelevant troll.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw an interesting link on the #BlackShirtsAtBMO Facebook page, about the Denver Bronco's Desso GrassMaster field:

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_2488099...-about-players

With the GrassMaster system in place, patches of worn-out turf (midfield wears out faster than end zones) can't just be dug up and replaced. "We have to re-establish the grass cover from seed," Kurcab said. So they do just that, whenever time between games allows.

The grass you'll see Sunday was overseeded four weeks ago, the day after the Dec. 12 game with the San Diego Chargers
    How the fuck is a damaged BMO field supposed to be over-seeded after a CFL game, in time for the next TFC game? Which would be a MAXIMUM of 13 days later (say if TFC plays a Saturday, CFL plays Sunday, TFC plays the next weekend away, before being back at BMO the next Saturday).

What if TFC plays at home two weekends in a row, as can happen due to various scheduling issues in any year? Considering the broadcasters have often dicked around with TFC's schedule. And especially 2016, when they will have to start with an another extended away trip due to the next round of renovations? Leaves you a MAXIMUM of 6 days to re-grow the grass. What about CCL games, other mid-week games, friendlies, CMNT or CWNT games, rugby, etc???

Plus the whole article explains what a difficult & expensive process the whole thing is. Needs lots of staff, just to keep it in fairly good shape for gridiron. Will they keep doing that for damage caused by the Argos, and who pays for it, considering the Argos' precarious financial situation?

Oh we're fucked.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 05-22-2015 at 07:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hope we win tomorrow

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's the spirit reggie

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I'm sure people are sick of me saying it but I am so very glad I got the opportunity to look TL in the face and plead that case.

His assurance answer without promising let me know where he stood. Now he's made himself untrustworthy. He didn't lie. I just have no reason to trust he prioritizes the game.

TRUTH........the sheriff is getting out of dodge while the getting is good........curious what the golden boy falls into in LA....who r the next suckers
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is TFC's head groundskeeper? And do they even have one, or is it some exhibition place, city of Toronto employee?

Toronto doesn't exactly have a stellar record when it comes to maintaining playing surfaces. The leafs play on some of the worst ice in the league,

The Blue Jays have been ridiculed for their installation of a new artificial surface this year.

I don't think the Argos have the money to maintain the field.

It's one thing to pay to have a field installed, as the Denver article demonstrates, it's another to have the commitment and resources necessary to maintain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More evidence that TO is not a sports city ...its an arts city. Even after the Pan Am games - to end up with no dedicated soccer stadium is a travesty. No Women's World Cup - it's not the national centre for soccer that's for sure. Hockey and football are both a shambles - can't even hope for an NFL team after the Bills failure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Listening to McCown. He even said he doesn't care about soccer, but this is BS by owners.

They just called out ownership big time for screwing us over. I guess Rogers gave them free rein to slam this as it's a Bell/Tanenbaum thing. Bob called this "a load of hooey" by ownership after they said this was going to be soccer-specific and build the sport in Canada.
    I dunno. I love Bobcat but sometimes he likes to gripe for the sake of griping. The truth is none of us know how this will play out. I love the club so I'm willing to give it a chance before I make any judgement.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I dunno. I love Bobcat but sometimes he likes to gripe for the sake of griping. The truth is none of us know how this will play out. I love the club so I'm willing to give it a chance before I make any judgement.
    Yet he voiced my feelings dead on. Probably the first time he's ever done so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we need 3 points tomorrow..come on boys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    Who is TFC's head groundskeeper? And do they even have one, or is it some exhibition place, city of Toronto employee?

Toronto doesn't exactly have a stellar record when it comes to maintaining playing surfaces. The leafs play on some of the worst ice in the league,

The Blue Jays have been ridiculed for their installation of a new artificial surface this year.

I don't think the Argos have the money to maintain the field.

It's one thing to pay to have a field installed, as the Denver article demonstrates, it's another to have the commitment and resources necessary to maintain it.
    i think its the scottish guy from the scotts comercial

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    More evidence that TO is not a sports city ...its an arts city.
    its not even an arts city, don't get me started on this

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    I can't help but think this has a lot to do with the age of the men involved in all of this. All the people who keep saying I remember seeing the Argos at exhibition place...it has the same feel as guys who go out and buy fully restored pony cars to relive their youth or cause they can simply afford to now. John tory and other city politicians seemed especially driven by nostalgia trying to hold on to the storied history of a uniquely pan canadian sporting institution. It's sad though, it's like saying Pierre Burton is the voice of Canada or that the Group of Seven defines the artistic pursuits of the nation. What they don't get is the impact this has on footy going forward and on the CMNT. It's disgusting to read that the CMNT dressing room has been removed for the tunnel club. If soccer is a global voice, and the World Cup suggests it is, than I want to see Canada in that discussion. The way support has been building for soccer is this country and city has been great to watch. All the work put into it at a grassroots level, all the effort by supporters groups and the guys selling tickets seems at risk if the pitch gets destroyed or the CMNT is forced out. It seems they are giddy to snuff out soccer so they can hold onto a dated vision of Canadian sports by clinging onto the Argos
    exactly........how many institutions are dropping football and how many kids are increasingly getting into soccer. Many parents are realizing my kids are not going to get their brains knocked about playing football.....it seems many older men have this antiquated nostalgia for the 'mans' sport . It seems to be a huge growing potential market is being ignored while a dinosaur sport is being falsely propped up for a dieing audience , of a fading older generation . ( Who unfortunately control all the money ) .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post

TRUTH........the sheriff is getting out of dodge while the getting is good........curious what the golden boy falls into in LA....who r the next suckers
    I don't buy any of this shit about him looking for new challenges. As soon as Defoe started tanking it he was doomed; he and Nelsen, who probably talked him into his ex teammate. He just decided to hold them to their deal or sue them for dismissal; so he's going quietly, probably with nice package.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Just saw an interesting link on the #BlackShirtsAtBMO Facebook page, about the Denver Bronco's Desso GrassMaster field:

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_2488099...-about-players
    That's not the system they described in videos about Wembley. They were talking about plugs, not seed. Might have to be seed because Denver chose that particular grass strain.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-22-2015 at 09:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    exactly........how many institutions are dropping football and how many kids are increasingly getting into soccer. Many parents are realizing my kids are not going to get their brains knocked about playing football.....it seems many older men have this antiquated nostalgia for the 'mans' sport . It seems to be a huge growing potential market is being ignored while a dinosaur sport is being falsely propped up for a dieing audience , of a fading older generation . ( Who unfortunately control all the money ) .
    There is some truth to this, but is it the same in the US? And then there is the question of how much of a relationship there is between playing a sport and paying to watch professionals. How many people watching UFC also participate?

It's too bad a Canadian soccer league isn't more successful. For professional soccer we're now tied to the USA through MLS and that's a very crowded marketplace for professional sports. Soccer can certainly become the number one summer sport in Canada on TV, but can it come close to that in the USA?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    Who is TFC's head groundskeeper? And do they even have one, .....

How soon ya'll forget. http://www.guelphmercury.com/news-st...or-toronto-fc/

Davidson article. One take away is the crew is not as big as at Lambeau.

Sounds like resources were being spent even last year.

So.....no....its not some guy who's job is also to water the plants around the Ex.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    There is some truth to this, but is it the same in the US? And then there is the question of how much of a relationship there is between playing a sport and paying to watch professionals. How many people watching UFC also participate?

It's too bad a Canadian soccer league isn't more successful. For professional soccer we're now tied to the USA through MLS and that's a very crowded marketplace for professional sports. Soccer can certainly become the number one summer sport in Canada on TV, but can it come close to that in the USA?
    intersting , football especially high school and college are huge in the U.S. , but even Lebron J...recently stated no way his kids would be allowed to play football, ......and of course there was a brilliant PBS special on the concussions found in high school football . Even though football is engrained in U.S. Society , When it comes to their kids and concussions some parents are having a rethink . I'm wondering in 10 to 20 years as more brain injuries are more accurately assessed where will football stars be found ? And yes, us Canadians seem slow to support a league of our own , We always have been infatuated with world sports figures other than our own so naturally , we can't seem to support anything Canadian ,(unless told to by the very worldly figures we admire.. . You are right though as fans we do like watch sports envisioning ourselves to as mean and talented as those on the field. eG UFC....good point . It seems no one actually cares about these athletes permanently damaging themselves . Or maybe that's the perverse draw . I only can be hopeful the next generation and more importantly the numerous immigrants importing their love of the game demanding a better quality and professional product which they will support with their wallets . Of course it would be helpful if one of them invested craploads of $$$ into a league or teams....simply a fans pipe dream , I guess .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I don't buy any of this shit about him looking for new challenges. As soon as Defoe started tanking it he was doomed; he and Nelsen, who probably talked him into his ex teammate. He just decided to hold them to their deal or sue them for dismissal; so he's going quietly, probably with nice package.
    I really don't put much stock in TFC sealing someones fate at MLSE, even on an outsized bet. That would be like saying your experience at a five star restaurant was ruined because there wasn't enough ice in the urinal during your trip to the men's room.

Leiweke's was with MLSE for such a short time I'd struggle to give him any evaluation but incomplete on the results. I'd wager it's personality conflicts all the way to the bank. Brash showman teams up with a couple of stodgy TelCos to run sports subsidiary and needs to drive large amount of change. When Bogers was done pissing all over what teachers did with management studies and pressers they were probably shitting their pants at how Leiweke operates. The end was inevitable.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 05-22-2015 at 10:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    its not even an arts city, don't get me started on this
    It's a banking city - and even that industry is protected.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's good you brought this up. I think this is a bigger question than just football vs soccer and the fear of concussions.

Statscan says that soccer participation is up, making it the most played team sport amongst youth in Canada. However, sports participation as a whole is down. So the soccer slice of the sport pie is getting bigger but the pie itself is shrinking.

As youth soccer becomes more organized, costly and based on a full calendar, I wonder if we will see the same popularity of the game? To play soccer at a higher level (ie. Academy, OPDL) will set you back about $5,000 per year, per kid. Rep programs may cost less but likely not for long.

And 10-11 months of anything is a long time. My own kids were talented players but dropped out (at age 14 and another at 10) and moved on to other sports for the variety (school and city basketball, volleyball, recreational golf/skiing and competitive swimming are on our calendar now). I was fine with it. The money that may have come from a scholarship can easily be saved over the long term in an RESP when you aren't dropping $5,000 a year.

The same thing is happening with hockey kids at this age.

Sport participation as a whole is a troubling question. The xBox/iPad and obesity are probably highly correlated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ and professional sports seem to have become more of a spectacle and further removed from participation sports, I think. We often hear people talking about the good old days when pro athletes had to have second jobs in the off-season and part of the complaint, I think, is that in those days pro athletes were more 'like us,' than they are today, more likely to live in the same neighbourhoods and so on.

So, I don't think there's much correlation between sports people play as kids and sports people pay to watch professionals play as adults. There's some, of course, but when it comes to selling a pro sport it's not such a big factor. What I think is a big factor is getting young people to watch the sport - high schools sports ithe USA drove football and basketball to the level of baseball (and beyond) maybe through participation but more likely through making it a part of high school culture to go out and watch the games.

I don't know where high school soccer is in the USA but I think for MLS to become as big as the other sports that's where it has to start, getting people out to watch it when they're young. That's where the xbox probably has the biggest effect - it may be more fun to play video games than to watch others play a sport.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I really don't put much stock in TFC sealing someones fate at MLSE, even on an outsized bet. That would be like saying your experience at a five star restaurant was ruined because there wasn't enough ice in the urinal during your trip to the men's room.

Leiweke's was with MLSE for such a short time I'd struggle to give him any evaluation but incomplete on the results. I'd wager it's personality conflicts all the way to the bank. Brash showman teams up with a couple of stodgy TelCos to run sports subsidiary and needs to drive large amount of change. When Bogers was done pissing all over what teachers did with management studies and pressers they were probably shitting their pants at how Leiweke operates. The end was inevitable.
    I think Leiweke quit. I'd wager it was Tanenbaum, his personality and his contractual rights re governance of the Leafs, that drove him nuts. That and Canada generally (the weather, the bs with entitled elites, etc).

CEO is a somewhat limited role in this ownership structure - you are not really running the Leafs if someone else is on the NHL Board of Governors.

I'm glad he's leaving.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a banking city - and even that industry is protected.
    exactly

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think Leiweke quit. I'd wager it was Tanenbaum, his personality and his contractual rights re governance of the Leafs, that drove him nuts. That and Canada generally (the weather, the bs with entitled elites, etc).

CEO is a somewhat limited role in this ownership structure - you are not really running the Leafs if someone else is on the NHL Board of Governors.

I'm glad he's leaving.
    Tanenbaum has and will ruin the sports environment in this city , not to mention he is a dinosaur , with archaic vision . Unfortunately we aren't overflowing with sport enthusiast billionaires here.