Page 108 of 197 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118158 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,240 of 5892
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the announcement today that Canada will play the November match in Vancouver may be only the first of the rest of the round as well. March the Argos renovations will still be on going and as things stand now I would not want Canada to play the September match at BMO. There has been no assurances or confidence in the state of the natural grass to be of an appropriate quality after August.

Our loss is other cities gain but it also shows that here in Canada turf is "good enough".
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    So the announcement today that Canada will play the November match in Vancouver may be only the first of the rest of the round as well. March the Argos renovations will still be on going and as things stand now I would not want Canada to play the September match at BMO. There has been no assurances or confidence in the state of the natural grass to be of an appropriate quality after August.

Our loss is other cities gain but it also shows that here in Canada turf is "good enough".
    Last year when the Reds had to open up with the seven games on the road I was a little surprised that the decision to play at least one home game at the dome to ease up the travel was note made, especially after only a few seasons earlier they had in fact opened up the season there. It would have perfect to have had a soccer day last march with Canada and TFC playing a double header when you considered they played Guatamala in a neutrual site match in Ft. Launderdale. Now flash forward to this upcoming March, pair up the Mexico home match with a TFC match, it would be something they could market and sell.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Last year when the Reds had to open up with the seven games on the road I was a little surprised that the decision to play at least one home game at the dome to ease up the travel was note made, especially after only a few seasons earlier they had in fact opened up the season there. It would have perfect to have had a soccer day last march with Canada and TFC playing a double header when you considered they played Guatamala in a neutrual site match in Ft. Launderdale. Now flash forward to this upcoming March, pair up the Mexico home match with a TFC match, it would be something they could market and sell.
    Terrible idea then, worse idea now. And the Jays aren't allowing the Argos play on their new grass -why would they want TFC and Canada to?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrible idea then, worse idea now. And the Jays aren't allowing the Argos play on their new grass -why would they want TFC and Canada to?
    Grass will not be in until 2018 at the earliest. Plus you can create buzz playing the dome making it an event with tickets priced favourable. Canadian soccer for the most part after the 8-1 debacle is just not working right here in Toronto, attendence is not ideal, which is unfortunate after alll the momentum that was built up here during the last cycle. In this day and age you have to great creative to get people through the doors and giving something like this chance.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Grass will not be in until 2018 at the earliest. Plus you can create buzz playing the dome making it an event with tickets priced favourable. Canadian soccer for the most part after the 8-1 debacle is just not working right here in Toronto, attendence is not ideal, which is unfortunate after alll the momentum that was built up here during the last cycle. In this day and age you have to great creative to get people through the doors and giving something like this chance.
    I see you're right about the grass. That doesn't change that the Rogers Centre wasn't viable or made possible last year.

-It's not ticket prices. You can get tickets for $20. Any cheaper cheapens the event.
    -WTF does 8-1 have to do with Toronto? It was last cycle and anyone who's cared to follow knows we're doing better than that.
    -If we're not selling out BMO move to Rogers? It makes no sense attendance wise or money wise. The tickets need to be more expensive to pay to play in the Rogers Centre.

This idea cheapens the event and actually detracts existing Canada fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They want to go dirt infield next year at Rogers centre, laying whatever over that would be poor. Only time I could see us going to RC is if we are playing a home game while the Grey cup is here in 2016.

I could be wrong but I think the csa and mlse/city (who ever owns the damn thing) still have the min 2 dates a year deal in place.

If they do well on the west coast and it becomes a fixture out their my CNMT expense just went from a couple hundred to over a thousand and that money will have to come out of my general soccer budget.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are there any CONCACAF teams that play on plastic besides us now?
    After all the bluster about playing the Women's World Cup on plastic, what has changed?
    I always thought that FIFA frowned on plastic pitches, so I guess it's ok now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They played an entire Women's World Cup on plastic now with no injuries due to turf, so they've got some evidence and precedent to expand it to men's games.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    They played an entire Women's World Cup on plastic now with no injuries due to turf, so they've got some evidence and precedent to expand it to men's games.
    Great spin.

Artificial turf is not the preference.

This move means "good enough" is what Canada will settle for.

I know supporters want to remain positive and I will concerning the team but these step backwards were easy to avoid just not as easy as capitulating to groundshare.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    Are there any CONCACAF teams that play on plastic besides us now?
    IIRC one of Costa Ricas stadiums has astro.
    Also Tijuana in Liga Mx.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just on a quick Google search, (how updated this is I am not quite sure) but was just trying to find what clubs out there in Europe actually play on Artificial turf, and well not to much came up really. Most clubs that popped up playing on artificial turf were mostly very small clubs that I didn't know anything about. The only clubs that I could recognize that play in decent size stadiums and have played in Europa and Champions League that play at stadiums on Artificial turf was clubs like Elfsborg (Sweden) FC Lorient (France) AS Nancy (France) FC Spartak (Russia) and Young Boys (Switzerland), which by the way Young Boys stadium artificial or not was a pretty bad ass stadium, be great for a MLS Club to!

but overall didn't seem like much clubs were playing on artificial turf from what I could see, and no big clubs of Europe seemed to be playing on it!
    Last edited by james; 09-18-2015 at 02:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Although at some point people have to learn to adjust, there are a lot of people who for what ever reason have to drive to games.

The condo boom in Liberty Village and along Queen's Quay has significantly changed things from what they were in 2007-2009. As much as a lot of those people don't drive, a lot do. And this isn't stopping. There are condos now planned for the the South West and the North East corners of Dufferin and King. (Island Foods, Burger King, Starbucks and MacDonalds)

If the Argo people, who are predominately suburban dwellers, don't like going down to the Dome, they are going to hate going down to BMO.
    its crazy seeing 2007 and now 2015 at Liberty Villiage. The amount of bars now to drink at has exploded. I remember having to mission to Shoeless Joes from the GO train station to get a drink and then back again for the game (some great memories tho downing rum on my walk). Now I got about 8 closer options to attend (no offence to Joes, but I usually just don't got time to mission it there anymore and there is some other bars I like with really good beer options to drink that are much closer to the station).

As far as burbs hating on going to the Dome in the city, being someone grown up in Oakville and taking the GO train all the time with friends for Leafs, Raptors, TFC, Blue Jays...everyone i've always known going to the sports game was all about jumping on the train and travelling down, going to eat or drink before, after or both, its always been part of the trip for as long as a I can remember. I have never even known people who drive to games or hate the fact its in Toronto. Maybe its just where I grew up being as the Lakeshore GO train line access is decent and is the most used line in the GTA, I d0 know some other parts of the suburbs are really under-served by public transit and maybe people there don't have the same experience as I always have, maybe older generations never cared travelling to the downtown city for games, or I don't know maybe Argos are a different bread. But as far as saying people in the suburbs hate going to Toronto for sporting events or concerts downtown, ive just never personally seen that really, its always been part of the whole day out. I think because of things like that, plus job opportunity tho of course as well, is 1 reason the people moving back into the city from the burbs has finally seen growth and while a slow down into the burbs, people have good memories of the city outings.
    Last edited by james; 09-18-2015 at 03:34 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    its crazy seeing 2007 and now 2015 at Liberty Villiage. The amount of bars now to drink at has exploded. I remember having to mission to Shoeless Joes from the GO train station to get a drink and then back again for the game (some great memories tho downing rum on my walk). Now I got about 8 closer options to attend (no offence to Joes, but I usually just don't got time to mission it there anymore and there is some other bars I like with really good beer options to drink that are much closer to the station).

As far as burbs hating on going to the Dome in the city, being someone grown up in Oakville and taking the GO train all the time with friends for Leafs, Raptors, TFC, Blue Jays...everyone i've always known going to the sports game was all about jumping on the train and travelling down, going to eat or drink before, after or both, its always been part of the trip for as long as a I can remember. I have never even known people who drive to games or hate the fact its in Toronto. Maybe its just where I grew up being as the Lakeshore GO train line access is decent and is the most used line in the GTA, I d0 know some other parts of the suburbs are really under-served by public transit and maybe people there don't have the same experience as I always have, maybe older generations never cared travelling to the downtown city for games, or I don't know maybe Argos are a different bread. But as far as saying people in the suburbs hate going to Toronto for sporting events or concerts downtown, ive just never personally seen that really, its always been part of the whole day out. I think because of things like that, plus job opportunity tho of course as well, is 1 reason the people moving back into the city from the burbs has finally seen growth and while a slow down into the burbs, people have good memories of the city outings.

It's a question of demographics.

There are fewer people in the 18-30 category now than there were years ago. Generally speaking, as you get older you don't want to live near bars. You are likely getting married, having kids… thinking about a mortgage and property taxes vs a recurring condo fee or rental.

That would pull you to the burbs.

Throw in a family, a young one, and the idea of commuting to the City… returning home… and commuting again… no matter whether it is transit or driving… is about the last thing on your mind. Weekends are a little different but kids' sports are on weekends. The flexibility of a car… to go from the community pitch to downtown without coordinating departure times… is welcomed.

I would also add that East-West, there are transit options that are reasonably convenient to get to BMO. North-South? Forgettaboutit. PITA

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So where is this train coming from or going to?

-That BMO isn't going to do well for the Argos because their demographic is family guys from the burbs?
    -That they should consider moving the CFL to the burbs for greater attendance?

Not that this is happening any time in the near future. Not that anything can be done about them ruining the pitch for at least next year. I'm already wondering how long before they go to artificial, negating all the work in getting natural grass and giving our game the respect it deserves.

Who's up for some SPORTSBALL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    just on a quick Google search, (how updated this is I am not quite sure) but was just trying to find what clubs out there in Europe actually play on Artificial turf, and well not to much came up really. Most clubs that popped up playing on artificial turf were mostly very small clubs that I didn't know anything about. The only clubs that I could recognize that play in decent size stadiums and have played in Europa and Champions League that play at stadiums on Artificial turf was clubs like Elfsborg (Sweden) FC Lorient (France) AS Nancy (France) FC Spartak (Russia) and Young Boys (Switzerland), which by the way Young Boys stadium artificial or not was a pretty bad ass stadium, be great for a MLS Club to!

but overall didn't seem like much clubs were playing on artificial turf from what I could see, and no big clubs of Europe seemed to be playing on it!
    Build this at Downsview only for TFC, and let the City of Toronto and Argos have BMO as it is. Second tier on East side has ruined the intimacy of BMO.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Build this at Downsview only for TFC, and let the City of Toronto and Argos have BMO as it is. Second tier on East side has ruined the intimacy of BMO.
    I'd take it but that's hardly the point. We have a fanbase that enjoys BMO's location and had every opportunity to do it right

AND

Give the Argos a stadium at Downsview where their fanbase could get to more games.

Half-assery has ruins our nice things.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So where is this train coming from or going to?
    Pick Barrie just for fun. An hour drive from downtown with no traffic. No train service on the weekend. If you wanted to leave the car at home, google transit tells me it would take 3 hrs and 10 mins with the bus.

But you wouldn't do that because that would be dumb. Instead you'd drive to Yorkdale… take the subway down to Union. And then get on a street car…. or take a Bus down from Dufferin… you can't partake of extra beverages as you still have drive home anyways. So you've lost the convenience of your own vehicle and the benefit of a designated driver and added extra time to your journey.

Put it at York U and you are talking.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE has first dibs on any Downsview stadium - that could easily be sold to Bell/Tanenbaum. Rogers would have one less hassle. EXCEPT, the Argos don't make money operationally so building a stadium makes no sense for them.

Any stadium they are in is a glorified studio - which is why the "only virtual ads" thing works perfectly for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    MLSE has first dibs on any Downsview stadium - that could easily be sold to Bell/Tanenbaum. Rogers would have one less hassle. EXCEPT, the Argos don't make money operationally so building a stadium makes no sense for them.

Any stadium they are in is a glorified studio - which is why the "only virtual ads" thing works perfectly for them.
    That ship has sailed. ML$E decided to put $120m into Argos/TFC stadium at the CNE. They could have easily built an owned stadium in downsview for that $ and have a total soccer complex like KC, but they decided against it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    wait for the roofs to go on.

... but your right ... bmo is 10,000 seats too big now for TFC. No reason to be a SSH. I'm going to buy low end at walk down to my regular spot in the sea of empty seats in 107 next year
    Last edited by Qman; 09-20-2015 at 08:09 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    wait for the roofs to go on.

... but your right ... bmo is 10,000 seats to big now for TFC. No reason to be a SSH. I'm going to buy low end at walk down to my regular spot in the sea of empty seats in 107 next year
    I'm actually surprised at the increased attendance this year.
    TFC could easily fill 30 if they were a constant winner. Especially if there's a roof.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    TFC could easily fill 30 if they were a constant winner. Especially if there's a roof.
    thats ML$E BS
    no way the butts in the seats are higher than last two years. Most games the east side is so bare, probably wouldn't even be close to filling old one-tier east stands. I would say were 17-19k most games with odd 22-24ish and odd 13-14ish. Still really good by MLS standards. Looks like league has several really weak markets: most of the mid-american markets draw flies (except KC & RSL).
    Last edited by Qman; 09-20-2015 at 08:05 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am curious how pricing will go in 2016.
    the team is awesome this year.
    Giovinco alone is a reason to come to the pitch.
    Even in the rain.

MLSE has always said they will jack prices when the team finally performs and makes the playoffs.

but the Supply of tix is so much greater than demand.
    crazy swaths of empty seats in the upper East side.

they really can't justify much more than inflation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Even in the rain.

MLSE has always said they will jack prices when the team finally performs and makes the playoffs.

This is why I always supported idea of expanding BMO field capacity. MLSE would have put out very competitive team while sell tickets cheaper than they would like to. It's a win-win situation from customer (aka TFC fans) POV!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    absolutely , ........If instead of going half assed they have to go top notch . Toronto fans unfortunately are too smart and are hesitant to spend their $ , unless the team is for real . EG Raptors , Jays .......We had it in the beginning and with the signing of Gio BUT , TFC could easily drop down to Argos status without REAL input and been in close touch of their customers . Sports is about success and emotions not accountants idea of good deals . I really don't think MLSE cares who is in BMO field as long as it's not costly and it's bringing in $$ . Who at BMO actually loves soccer ? TL is leaving right ?
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    This is why I always supported idea of expanding BMO field capacity. MLSE would have put out very competitive team while sell tickets cheaper than they would like to. It's a win-win situation from customer (aka TFC fans) POV!
    Good point!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even in the rain.

My expectations are a modest increase to current SSH but for people looking to buy new to pay a fairly inflated price. i think southend was 360 new... would think that low 400's would be the price point.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even in the rain.

I think the old model went out the window with the expansion and price increases should be more modest, basically I agree with pint.

But I will disagree with the idea that this team as its playing now is 'awesome'. Seba is awesome this year and is carrying this team with all his goals. Otherwise we would be sitting on the outside looking in.

Not to be Debbie downer here, but there seems to be a pretty big issue still with this franchise, I hope Seba can be the guy to change that. The Argo move in could be the cherry on the cake if this team falls apart. My fuse is getting really short.
    Last edited by Phil; 09-21-2015 at 08:23 AM.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even in the rain.

In my mind there is no way that could justify a price jump of any signficance even if say the Reds made the playoffs as the 5-6 seed and lost on the road in the first round, they really need a home game in the post season to be in a position for such a rise. The upper east stand pricing is completely out of whack right now, very similar to how the north stand was in its first year as a season seat and was very empty most of the time. I believe they have to make it similar to the west stand to get people into it. It will be a very interesting off-season for sure on many fronts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if anyone watching the NFL noticed various lines and messages on the fields.

I believe it was Jax that had ghosted messages on the field.
    and this is florida, prime grass growing weather.
    and the billons and billions behind the NFL...and they couldn't get all the messages and paint off the grass.
    what makes MLSE think they can do it better?