Page 44 of 197 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 5892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    This must not be the last time I see these string of words together.
    Have you watched us try and play defence on the pitch...??? Chances are you'll hear that sentence in a different thread - and it'd be spot on! LOL

"...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Look who's at city hall for take out the trash day.

A random Ti-Cat fan, a tree and the garbage to be taken out.

(I'm a Ti-Cat fan - this is just reflexive)
    All I see is Cheerleaders/Yoga Pants/Tank Tops!
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE didn't know what they had when they got into the soccer business - they once figured they could do well with 14,000 fans per TFC game. But once they saw what was happening, they proceeded to MLSE it up and turn everything into shit. Now you've got a mess of a soccer team that has never made the MLS postseason in its eight years of existence - an unparalleled catastrofuck by league standards, a revolving door of coaches and front office personnel, a jaded pissed off fanbase, and the only major plans surrounding this team involve expanding BMO Field that would benefit staging outdoor Leaf hockey games, bringing in the Argos and Grey Cup games, and threatens to marginalize the soccer aspects of the field and probably drive in the final nail for many TFC supporters.

Well done MLSE asshats!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    I actually think Argos will sell out. This city loves anything new, and ratings show that their are a lot of Argos fans sitting on their buts at home watching. Maybe the new venue will get more of those people out.
    I'm sure it will, for year 1.

I'm really worried about the Argos year 3 though ... I suppose there is a chance it will revitalize and rejuvenate their supporters. But I fear that playing at BMO instead of downtown will kill them - remember how whiny they were about having to sit outside at Exhibition in the 1980s?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder how the rumoured Italian president of soccer, and Italian coaches or management that may follow, would feel about playing their team on a chewed-up, high-plastic-percentage hybrid surface.

Oh and yeah I hope they particularly like this crappy Toronto weather early in the year. (BTW the weather is usually beautiful in Italy this time of year.) They better enjoy this totally unreliable, often freezing and often raining (sometimes snowing) Toronto weather from March through May, because they will need to schedule lots of TFC home games during this time period. That will leave lots of room for scheduling the Argos in during the summer, while leaving flexibility for other things such as Voyageur's/CCL games in the summer, plus friendlies, CMNT & CWNT games, etc.

The Italians will be truly pleased to be playing more in Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Orlando, Kansas City or LA in the summer instead...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I wonder how the rumoured Italian president of soccer, and Italian coaches or management that may follow, would feel about playing their team on a chewed-up, high-plastic-percentage hybrid surface.
    Both Milans and Udinese play on Desso. There's been no indication that we'd have any more % of plastic than they do.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Both Milans and Udinese play on Desso. There's been no indication that we'd have any more % of plastic than they do.

More plastic = less crunchy from gridiron.

No win for me.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    I'm sure it will, for year 1.

I'm really worried about the Argos year 3 though ... I suppose there is a chance it will revitalize and rejuvenate their supporters. But I fear that playing at BMO instead of downtown will kill them - remember how whiny they were about having to sit outside at Exhibition in the 1980s?
    yeah, it will be interesting to see how well the canopy protects the fans from the fall elements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    yeah, it will be interesting to see how well the canopy protects the fans from the fall elements.
    It will be interesting to see if there are enough football fans in the GTA willing to go out and see a team that's not in the top league. The Bills being sold and finally putting the NFL-to-Toronto to rest is probably the biggest factor here. Likely one of the reasons the Als are so successful in a small outdoor stadium in Montreal is because the football fans there know that's the biggest the game will ever be in that city. If 25,000 fans accept the fact that the CFL is the biggest football will ever be in Toronto then the Argos will be successful at BMO.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    It will be interesting to see if there are enough football fans in the GTA willing to go out and see a team that's not in the top league. The Bills being sold and finally putting the NFL-to-Toronto to rest is probably the biggest factor here. Likely one of the reasons the Als are so successful in a small outdoor stadium in Montreal is because the football fans there know that's the biggest the game will ever be in that city. If 25,000 fans accept the fact that the CFL is the biggest football will ever be in Toronto then the Argos will be successful at BMO.
    Successful you say? Not at actually turning a profit they aren't.

Ex-CFL pres, ex-Alouette player and all-around X's and O's guy Larry Smith himself has said the club will never earn back the money they've lost under their present circumstances. They don't make money. They do manage not to lose massive amounts and that probably serves owner Robert Wettenhall quite nicely as a tax write-off.

To get to this present situation, it required more than $25 million worth of public spending to upgrade the stadium they play in.

The Argos are leaking lakes of red ink, have done for decades, and need something like another $25 million in public spending - tacked onto additional spending from MLSE - to staunch the bleeding and approach the acceptable level of loss seen in the Alouettes situation.

What success! Eh?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might factor into the equation. Perhaps if Braley can get a bidding war going for the lions he'd be willing to let go of the Argos for less.

News1130 Sports @News1130Sports · Apr 20

10 parties interested in buying the #BCLions including #Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini, who re-affirmed his interest 10 days ago.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by king10 View Post
    This might factor into the equation. Perhaps if Braley can get a bidding war going for the lions he'd be willing to let go of the Argos for less.

News1130 Sports @News1130Sports · Apr 20

10 parties interested in buying the #BCLions including #Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini, who re-affirmed his interest 10 days ago.
    Do we have a number from Braley for the Argos presently?

What's the asking price to own the Argos?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't he looking $10million plus a cut of Grey Cup profits?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Wasn't he looking $10million plus a cut of Grey Cup profits?
    http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/16...ise-and-league

From ^this last summer.

Published reports indicate he wants to sell out before the candles on that cake are lit and that he has come down in price from $20 million to $10 million.
    So less than 10 mil for the Argos. Where did the 2 mil number come from? Was that an offer once?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting tidbit in that article I hadn't seen before

Those same insiders indicate Braley was unimpressed with a blueprint presented for an expanded BMO to house the Argos; voicing his displeasure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Interesting tidbit in that article I hadn't seen before

[/FONT][/COLOR]

thats old news .. that came out in a article a couple years ago They've been negotiating for over a year now .. i assume he's over his issues.

personally i don't think braley has any plans to sell before moving into BMO unless someone hits his price.
    Last edited by Qman; 04-22-2015 at 12:32 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was unimpressed? Well whoop dee doo GTFO.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    thats old news .. that came out in a article a couple years ago They've been negotiating for over a year now .. i assume he's over his issues.

personally i don't think braley has any plans to sell before moving into BMO unless someone hits his price.
    July 2014.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wonder what Braley's issue could have been?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Successful you say? Not at actually turning a profit they aren't.

Ex-CFL pres, ex-Alouette player and all-around X's and O's guy Larry Smith himself has said the club will never earn back the money they've lost under their present circumstances. They don't make money. They do manage not to lose massive amounts and that probably serves owner Robert Wettenhall quite nicely as a tax write-off.

To get to this present situation, it required more than $25 million worth of public spending to upgrade the stadium they play in.

The Argos are leaking lakes of red ink, have done for decades, and need something like another $25 million in public spending - tacked onto additional spending from MLSE - to staunch the bleeding and approach the acceptable level of loss seen in the Alouettes situation.

What success! Eh?
    I'm wondering where you got the information from that states the Als are losing money? Back from a 2012 article, Cohom states that 75% of the teams (6 of 8) were either breaking even or making money, the ones in red being TO and Hamilton. With the new CFL tv agreement with TSN I can safely assume Cohons statement still stands correct.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/sports/football/...oner-1.1201438

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^. Bob young said that with solid attendance at the new stadium the cats will be more than profitable. Theyre in a much better financial position than 2012.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rotoomm View Post
    I'm wondering where you got the information from that states the Als are losing money? Back from a 2012 article, Cohom states that 75% of the teams (6 of 8) were either breaking even or making money, the ones in red being TO and Hamilton. With the new CFL tv agreement with TSN I can safely assume Cohons statement still stands correct.

Not to mention the new CFL tv deal is quite lucrative. I remember hearing that every player is paid for before the first game takes place.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rotoomm View Post

2012 isn't exactly current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    2012 isn't exactly current.
    Have things gotten worse for the CFL since 2012?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paging @Mulder...

I'm not speculating or inferring anything. I'm saying in a league that small there can and have been sweeping degrees of changes in fortune. Good and bad. A season makes a lot of difference. I'm sure Mulder can find a golden if not silver lining but I'm sure there's been several changes in 2 years.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely agree, being the CFL, a lot can change even season to season, however since that article, only 2 seasons have passed and in that time half a billion dollars have been spent in either new stadiums or stadium upgrades as well as a new lucrative tv deal that was made. To go back to my original statement, I think it is safe to assume Cohon's statement that 75% of the teams are either breaking even or making money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post

Oh and yeah I hope they particularly like this crappy Toronto weather early in the year. (BTW the weather is usually beautiful in Italy this time of year.) They better enjoy this totally unreliable, often freezing and often raining (sometimes snowing) Toronto weather from March through May, because they will need to schedule lots of TFC home games during this time period. That will leave lots of room for scheduling the Argos in during the summer, while leaving flexibility for other things such as Voyageur's/CCL games in the summer, plus friendlies, CMNT & CWNT games, etc.

The Italians will be truly pleased to be playing more in Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Orlando, Kansas City or LA in the summer instead...

depends where you are. Some of the more rural areas near florence and further north have 9 month winters just like us.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    depends where you are. Some of the more rural areas near florence and further north have 9 month winters just like us.
    I'm not talking about rural or mountainous areas, or about northern Ontario either. I'm talking about the cities & suburban areas, where the games are played, the practices are held, and most of the players live. It's not even close.

Compare Toronto average weather to Florence, average highs in April are 9 degrees lower in Toronto than in Florence: http://www.toronto.climatemps.com/vs/florence.php

Or compare Toronto with Turin, much closer to the Alps, and where Seba is from, average high in April is 8 degrees lower in Toronto: http://www.toronto.climatemps.com/vs/turin.php

Of course you can go up into the Alps and maybe do some skiing, but you're not playing footy up there.

EDIT It also doesn't help that we've been about 10 degrees below the average high in Toronto lately...
    Last edited by Auzzy; 04-23-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most certainly.

The Argos season ticket base has dropped to below 3,500. Ottawa RedInks have lost thousands of season ticket holders after year 1.

Winnipeg stadium, due to host this year's Grey Cup, is falling apart two years after opening.

Good news is the toilets all now work in Hamilton. Problem is they were installed on the elevators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    MLSE didn't know what they had when they got into the soccer business - they once figured they could do well with 14,000 fans per TFC game. But once they saw what was happening, they proceeded to MLSE it up and turn everything into shit. Now you've got a mess of a soccer team that has never made the MLS postseason in its eight years of existence - an unparalleled catastrofuck by league standards, a revolving door of coaches and front office personnel, a jaded pissed off fanbase, and the only major plans surrounding this team involve expanding BMO Field that would benefit staging outdoor Leaf hockey games, bringing in the Argos and Grey Cup games, and threatens to marginalize the soccer aspects of the field and probably drive in the final nail for many TFC supporters.

Well done MLSE asshats!
    This. Couldn't have said it better myself.