Page 48 of 197 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 5892
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    And no prospect for improving that situation. At least with MLS, the prospects of franchise value going up makes it worth eating operating losses for a while.
    The prospect is moving them to BMO, a more football field facility.

Also, that "reported" loss (I quote it, because Arash as a CFL reporter is more often wrong than right) means the Argo's have no other revenue than the TV Deal.
    Edmonton, just 3 years ago made money on 17.5m in revenue. That number would not be hard to hit if you have 20,000 fans in a stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok from just looking at the situation and doing some very rough math it's hard to see how you make money in the CFL even at 20 000 a game taking into consideration your overhead cost in regards to a football team, only about 10 home games guaranteed more or less, you have such a big roster and coaches, , more equipment costs, more travel costs with such a big roster and more coaches to buy airline tickets for and hotels and meals, so your costs are more than an MLS team and with such fewer home games, I guess it's the TV deal that makes the difference then.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Ok from just looking at the situation and doing some very rough math it's hard to see how you make money in the CFL even at 20 000 a game taking into consideration your overhead cost in regards to a football team, only about 10 home games guaranteed more or less, you have such a big roster and coaches, , more equipment costs, more travel costs with such a big roster and more coaches to buy airline tickets for and hotels and meals, so your costs are more than an MLS team and with such fewer home games, I guess it's the TV deal that makes the difference then.
    how are travel costs more with only 9 road games? The league pays a percentage of travel costs so it's probably one of the smaller expenses compared to player salaries, insurance, etc etc. I would think Travel would be more for Canadian based MLS teams when they are paying US dollars for American accomodations etc. with Canadian Dollar revenue not to mention the administration costs surrounding foreign travel/visas. Crossing borders is always more costly
    Last edited by TorontoMetros; 04-27-2015 at 12:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you know if they do move in there will be a lot of people who will cancel there season tickets and move on and maybe start to support athere team in the mls if there pissed off at Toronto. I canceled my season tickets once for 2 season and only pick them up again after them lower the tickets prices. But if they piss me off again that I have cancel my season tickets again I will drop them and 100% stop everything to do with mlse teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the argos move in I will start cheering for Impact... Jokes.... Screw Impact!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo1985 View Post
    If the argos move in I will start cheering for Impact... Jokes.... Screw Impact!!!
    yeah I would never cheer for any team from montreal
    Last edited by nascarguy; 04-27-2015 at 03:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.tsn.ca/bell-tanenbaum-in-...nauts-1.268118

Bell and Larry Tanenbaum, two of three parties involved in ownership of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, are negotiating to buy the Canadian Football League's Toronto Argonauts from David Braley and aiming to secure a lease that would see the team move to BMO Field in time for the 2016 CFL season, TSN has learned.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nascarguy View Post
    yeah I would never cheer for any team in montreal
    I'm going to be in Montreal on May 6th and I'll be cheering for TFC!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    http://www.tsn.ca/bell-tanenbaum-in-...nauts-1.268118

Bell and Larry Tanenbaum, two of three parties involved in ownership of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, are negotiating to buy the Canadian Football League's Toronto Argonauts from David Braley and aiming to secure a lease that would see the team move to BMO Field in time for the 2016 CFL season, TSN has learned.
    Shit, there's the other shoe dropping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fukn larry!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And no prospect for improving that situation. At least with MLS, the prospects of franchise value going up makes it worth eating operating losses for a while.

TFC probably losses twice that amount with the 3 DPs. I guess 1/20th of the expansion fees help offset that. Wouldn't put much stock in MLS franchise values. They are getting big number for these expansion teams ... but the only buyer for Chivas was eventually the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    TFC probably losses twice that amount with the 3 DPs. I guess 1/20th of the expansion fees help offset that. Wouldn't put much stock in MLS franchise values. They are getting big number for these expansion teams ... but the only buyer for Chivas was eventually the league.
    League buying out Vergara was to get rid of Vergara. The now LAFC ownership group wasn't going to deal with Vergara directly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's true that it's Tanenbaum and Bell rather than MLSE, I find that interesting. Sets up some interesting dynamics.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's true that it's Tanenbaum and Bell rather than MLSE, I find that interesting. Sets up some interesting dynamics.

It's no more interesting than what CFL fans have known for years. Rogers hates the CFL, and will do whatever it takes to sabotage. Crappy dates at the Rogers Centre was just another step in this process, now Rogers using their board veto power to block a sale to MLSE. Even their media personalities have been discredited in this process. Braley issued a statement on what Rogers Media has been reporting for months, and what Arash tweeted out today that what he said was false, and the he's not looking for future Grey Cup profits.

What you are really looking at here, is a billion dollar company, protected by Canadian laws, attempting to destroy another Canadian institution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Link to the Braley statement?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Link to the Braley statement?
    Last edited by Mulder; 04-27-2015 at 04:20 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argos fans must be thrilled by not being potentially owned by the entire MLSE entity and instead by a 25 percent shareholder and the CFL's TV carrier. Can TFC get in on this? lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take out the north stand which will need to happen now and have a moveable south stand with a roof or canopy so far up from the seats of the south stand, throw in artificial turf and you have one ugly stadium, your typical ugly looking retro 1960's CFL looking stadium, nice job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoMetros View Post
    Argos fans must be thrilled by not being potentially owned by the entire MLSE entity and instead by a 25 percent shareholder and the CFL's TV carrier. Can TFC get in on this? lol

any infighting within MLSE is bad for TFC because if MLSE was to split apart, TFC could be orphaned. MLSE has invested $$$ in players, covering operating losses, is investing in the stadium, and providing subsidized TV coverage of games (which probably wouldn't be on TV based on the ratings).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um, I hate Montreal - but why can Montreal have one stadium for their MLS team and a different stadium for their CFL team and Toronto can't? For that matter why does Ontario have huge population centres - Mississauga, Durham, Halton, (York Region gets off the hook only because of the expansion of the soccer centre for TFC ll) that have no stadium facility at all!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    Um, I hate Montreal - but why can Montreal have one stadium for their MLS team and a different stadium for their CFL team and Toronto can't? For that matter why does Ontario have huge population centres - Mississauga, Durham, Halton, (York Region gets off the hook only because of the expansion of the soccer centre for TFC ll) that have no stadium facility at all!
    Because their MLS team owns their MLS stadium and can do what they want with it. Same can't be said for Toronto. And because there is a university stadium large enough to host the Al's.

And those regions you mentioned dont a have stadium because there is no public appetite to put public dollars into a brand new stadium which would cost over $100 million.
    Last edited by king10; 04-27-2015 at 04:49 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    any infighting within MLSE is bad for TFC because if MLSE was to split apart, TFC could be orphaned. MLSE has invested $$$ in players, covering operating losses, is investing in the stadium, and providing subsidized TV coverage of games (which probably wouldn't be on TV based on the ratings).
    agreed, I could see TFC come out as losers in all of this with the fault clearly landing on Rogers imo. I would prefer Argos get a stadium for themselves. I wish them tons of success as I want all clubs that rep the city to do well. At some point Rogers should have gotten on board and worked towards a solution that helps all the properties. This way fragments the company further and that can't be good for the lesser clubs. Rogers truly suck
    Last edited by TorontoMetros; 04-27-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agreed, I could see TFC come out as losers in all of this with the fault clearly landing on Rogers imo. I would prefer Argos get a stadium for themselves. I wish them tons of success as I want all clubs that rep the city to do well. At some point Rogers should have gotten on board and worked towards a solution that helps all the properties. This way fragments the company further and that can't be good for the lesser clubs.
    Rogers is absolutely terrible. The only thing they care about are the Blue Jays and Hockey. They could care less if everything else died. Especially CFL, MLS, and the Raptors who have the majority if not all their games on TSN (Bell).

Sidenote: theres been rumors of Bell bringing the expos back to MTL to get into the baseball market in their home province and go head to head with Rogers and the Jays. Would make their partnership at MLSE even rockier.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by king10 View Post
    Rogers is absolutely terrible. The only thing they care about are the Blue Jays and Hockey. They could care less if everything else died. Especially CFL, MLS, and the Raptors who have the majority if not all their games on TSN (Bell).

Sidenote: theres been rumors of Bell bringing the expos back to MTL to get into the baseball market in their home province and go head to head with Rogers and the Jays. Would make their partnership at MLSE even rockier.
    True, Its obvious Rogers are half hearted towards FC. Bell is too but I can understand it a bit seeing as their main property is a comparable league. Rogers should have gotten behind growing FC more than they seem to have. FC's growth is completely on the grass roots level. The fanbase have made it what it is and nobody else. I cancelled all my Rogers accounts about 2 years ago and I am glad I did.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually like how rogers is coming out on this at the moment. Ownership clearly wants them on board, so that they could give the Argos another sweetheart deal at BMO, and further the myth that the Argos can make money in this market.
    If rogers insists on the Argos paying market rent, then they get all the profit (from MLSE operating the stadium), with none of the risk.
    The main red flag is that Bell will want the Argos to be playing friday nights I would assume, so if games ever fall on back to back days with TFC, we're getting screwed with an unplayable field.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    I actually like how rogers is coming out on this at the moment. Ownership clearly wants them on board, so that they could give the Argos another sweetheart deal at BMO, and further the myth that the Argos can make money in this market.
    If rogers insists on the Argos paying market rent, then they get all the profit (from MLSE operating the stadium), with none of the risk.
    The main red flag is that Bell will want the Argos to be playing friday nights I would assume, so if games ever fall on back to back days with TFC, we're getting screwed with an unplayable field.
    No reason the two teams' games can't be scheduled on alternating weekends.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nascarguy View Post
    yeah I would never cheer for any team from montreal
    Ya, I know what you meant.
    Just pulling your leg.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, Its obvious Rogers are half hearted towards FC. Bell is too but I can understand it a bit seeing as their main property is a comparable league. Rogers should have gotten behind growing FC more than they seem to have. FC's growth is completely on the grass roots level. The fanbase have made it what it is and nobody else. I cancelled all my Rogers accounts about 2 years ago and I am glad I did.
    Bell really promotes MLS through TSN. They need content to fill the hockey void in the spring and fall. I wouldn't call them half hearted towards TFC, they want TFC and its tv ratings to go up. Having said that TSN LOVES the whitecaps though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by king10 View Post
    No reason the two teams' games can't be scheduled on alternating weekends.
    And V cup and the CCL and National team games....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    Um, I hate Montreal - but why can Montreal have one stadium for their MLS team and a different stadium for their CFL team and Toronto can't? ...
    Als took over what would be the equivalent of Varsity stadium, BEFORE Saputo got around to putting a team together. Argos blew that opportunity at York and the neighbourhood around Varsity didn't want it.