Page 182 of 197 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184185186192 ... LastLast
Results 5,431 to 5,460 of 5892
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    yeah, me ... and just about every sports news organization that follows mls

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/insi...feature-010816

Read the freaking article - its clickbait worry thing over nothing.

Why?

5 players

Not 50

Not 15

5 is not a feeder league

And the kicker to kill your arguement

One of them was Luis Silva - he couldn't even find a starting place in DC or for SJE. Some feeder league.

Players move around - Liga MX is right next door to the USA and a lot of people in the US have ties to Mexico.

I'm surprised its only 5 to be honest as natural movement of washouts and others (yes Silva was an MLS washout so.....feeder league?) should be more then that.

So, just stop with this nonsense.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 09-06-2016 at 06:04 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ maybe you would attract more soccer fans that relate more to a table champion format who currently think of MLS as minor league stuff.

Those who roll their eyes at a "key game to determine playoff seeding" or even the fact that TFC is in the "chase" for first place.

Hockey fans don't celebrate the President's Trophy in Hockey. I don't even know what the Top NBA gets for the regular season. The top NFL team? Football fans have a Super Bowl or nothing.

The difference is that soccer fans do celebrate a table champion. It's everything in most leagues. But not here.

Folks often reference the popularity of soccer in saying how big the MLS can get. So are we going after these fans by legitimizing the champion of the table as the real champion or are we going after the casual fan that will attend this as an entertainment event?

I would wager there are more of the former.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and I suppose Cubo Torres washing out at FREAKING WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE HOUSTON and going back to LigaMx to sit on the bench is of course a basis for MLS to be a feeder league.

Pah..... MLS isn't as good as the best of LigaMx but it ain't no freaking feeder league to down there.

If anything MLS teams are a feeder league to Cyprus.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS' relationship to LigaMX kind of looks like Eurobasket's relationship to the NBA.

Liga MX is much better, no argument, there is some crossover of players, but they fundamentally operate in parallel universes.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    This quest for the Argos own stadium is curious to me.

We, taxpayers, already paid millions for BMO and another truckload of millions for this expansion to allow for grey cups and hockey games. And the gains that are generated by said corporate welfare have been questioned by economists in cities for years.

It's pretty clear that if the Argos got their own stadium, that we, taxpayers, would be donating again.

You really want that as an outcome? Really?

Maybe we should start this "get your own house" movement by asking MLSE to invest its own money (100%) into a soccer only stadium rather than gorging itself on public funds.
    Yes. I really want that outcome. But then I don't need an Argos stadium that transforms or is located in the heart of the city so that would be different.

As to TFC moving lets talk again after the Argos have more sellouts in that stadium that was suppose to reinvigorate the franchise.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The preferred outcome would be the development of "Tanenbaum Field" securing Larry's name in CFL history. Preferably at York or Downsview, with suburban transit and loads of parking. York U stadium holds 12500 which seems perfect.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    The preferred outcome would be the development of "Tanenbaum Field" securing Larry's name in CFL history. Preferably at York or Downsview, with suburban transit and loads of parking. York U stadium holds 12500 which seems perfect.
    Perfect indeed. 4,000 under their current attendance average and about 10,000 under their average over most of their last decade.

More corporate welfare or is that just for MLSE/TFC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all it mean is that they will have to decrease the amount of freebies they give out!!! lol...

but seriously i still think they need to hook up with a University either YorkU or UofT, similar to the Alouettes...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfect indeed. 4,000 under their current attendance average and about 10,000 under their average over most of their last decade.

More corporate welfare or is that just for MLSE/TFC?
    Which way do you want to paint it? Argos are benefiting from that particular welfare already but you don't want them to get their own but MLSE/TFC shouldn't get it either?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Which way do you want to paint it? Argos are benefiting from that particular welfare already but you don't want them to get their own but MLSE/TFC shouldn't get it either?
    I don't believe in corporate welfare so was against public funds being used for BMO construction and the renovation from the get go.

I would be against using any public funds for the Argos (Leafs, Jays, Raptors, etc).

But since our system works the way it works, a ground share that is already built (and is working) is much more palitable than building another stadium just because.

In short, it's there. Use it. Get along. Don't ask for any more handouts.

Why are you so adamant that the Argos get out of the publicly funded stadium that TFC rents?
    Last edited by Pookie; 09-06-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playoff schedule out. Conference finals are midweek. http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/conten...ds-december-10

EDIT: Just the Eastern Final is midweek.
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 09-06-2016 at 11:58 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't believe in corporate welfare so was against public funds being used for BMO construction and the renovation from the get go.

I would be against using any public funds for the Argos (Leafs, Jays, Raptors, etc).

But since our system works the way it works, a ground share that is already built (and is working) is much more palitable than building another stadium just because.

In short, it's there. Use it. Get along. Don't ask for any more handouts.

Why are you so adamant that the Argos get out of the publicly funded stadium that TFC rents?
    Ok so you are consistent in that you're against the cooperate welfare and minimizing welfare cooperate or otherwise when it comes to handouts. Great.

You are not asking me why I want the Argos out. You are rephrasing a question I've already answered. So. MANY. TIMES.

You want everybody to get along. Most are. It's when you ignore the only issue I've brought up against groundshare that we will argue.

Are you paying Toronto taxes? A stadium would no doubt get provincial help as well but since a national treasure is involved it would be the majority of CFL fans (who live outside of this area) that would be shelling out for the Argos. Again. Since the handouts WILL keep coming for the Argos for a long time for a long term solve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Playoff schedule out. Conference finals are midweek. http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/conten...ds-december-10

Its probably a good tester to going midweek for all the games to get away from college football and NFL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

Well that's shitty, away travel plans just got significantly more difficult.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post

You want everybody to get along. Most are. It's when you ignore the only issue I've brought up against groundshare that we will argue.
    When the day comes that it is an issue (for that day), we can discuss it (for that day)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Well that's shitty, away travel plans just got significantly more difficult.
    so guaranteed night games, in the cold fall, with a final Dec.

good luck MLS

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    so guaranteed night games, in the cold fall, with a final Dec.

good luck MLS
    Agreed. But North Americans want that don't they?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's funny how absolutely nothing is happening on this topic at the moment, their are no gridiron lines, the pitch is doing fine, we've yet to see what happens during serious rain or the playoffs, yet

MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pookie is the defender of the Argos, and is treated pretty good on a TFC soccer forum, however, if I ventured on the Argo Forum I would be shot down before I could type TFC. You know why I could not care less for the Argos and their struggles? It's because of all the idiots in the mainstream media the likes of the Steve Simmons and the Perkins and the Bob McCowans all formerly Argo lovers who predicted that TFC would draw flies at BMO before TFC started, moreover, these are all soccer haters and there are more in the mainstream media, so now that a team like the Argos who all these guys followed at one time is drawing flies and TFC is selling out or close to it I'm loving it Lol! We had Steve Simmons in the Toronto Sun this past weekend begging people to come out to an Argo game, however, I'm sure if TFC was struggling at the gate he would be writing columns about how you see nobody cares about pro soccer in Toronto and be belittling TFC and soccer in his columns like he has ever since he became a sportswriter, before these idiots would write about the fact that nobody went to watch pro soccer in Toronto citing the low crowds at the Toronto Lynx games back in the day, now that we are getting good crowds at Toronto pro soccer games with TFC they now bring up the TFC TV ratings to prove that nobody cares about pro soccer in Toronto. It's for these reasons I actually take joy with the struggles of the Argos with attendance and could not care less if they just went away! Moreover, I wish somehow Canada finds a way to qualify for a World Cup but sadly I don't think it's happening in my lifetime , because if they ever did again in this day and age it would be the next boost soccer needs in this country and would shut up these soccer haters once and for all!
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 09-06-2016 at 08:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only three Argo home games left this season and its looking very unlikely they will host a playoff game. The playing surface may go 2016 without facing a major test of the elements.

This time next year should be a good indication if the Argos @ BMO experiment is working when they have a more favourable schedule.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, blowjob journalism out the ying yang and still the Nogos can't draw fans.

The next relevant step in discussing the Nogos stadium situation will be how their presence affects playing conditions at Birchmount or Esther Shiner Stadiums.

When they're papering the joint to the tune of four free tickets per game for season ticket holders, it's pretty clear they won't even be able to justify a move to Lamport Stadium.

Even the morbid curiosity factor of watching Johnny Manziel play for them wouldn't offer a solution. Just a punchline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    Only three Argo home games left this season and its looking very unlikely they will host a playoff game. The playing surface may go 2016 without facing a major test of the elements.

This time next year should be a good indication if the Argos @ BMO experiment is working when they have a more favourable schedule.
    This year is probably the worst it's going in terms of regular season scheduling due to TFC's backloaded home schedule and the timing of the CFL season. Next year, will be much more favourable for BMO's groundcrew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    This year is probably the worst it's going in terms of regular season scheduling due to TFC's backloaded home schedule and the timing of the CFL season. Next year, will be much more favourable for BMO's groundcrew.
    my guess is they will alternate weekends June onwards. Better for the fans too as you have a home game every other week.

we had a week with 3 home games a month ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We also have a week with 3 hone games coming up, I love those weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

next season we'll have mid week champions league matches as well...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post

Whataboutchya?

That scheduling rationale comes up often. It reminds me of that scene in Aliens - the second movie, directed by James Cameron - where Ripley has her first chat with young Newt, the only survivor of the xenomorph attacks on LV-426.

Well-armed marines are bustling about them and Ripley says to Newt: "These men are here to protect you. They're soldiers."

Newt gazes back at her and solemnly replies: "It won't make any difference."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Whataboutchya?

That scheduling rationale comes up often. It reminds me of that scene in Aliens - the second movie, directed by James Cameron - where Ripley has her first chat with young Newt, the only survivor of the xenomorph attacks on LV-426.

Well-armed marines are bustling about them and Ripley says to Newt: "These men are here to protect you. They're soldiers."

Newt gazes back at her and solemnly replies: "It won't make any difference."
    They won't draw well in a stadium that is Red.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Argos on the other hand have averaged well over 20k fans per game for much of the last decade. Despite a significant cut in their infrastructure.

Plenty of differences between CFL and MLB but let's be clear that many Canadians across the country do care about the CFL. The Grey Cup will outdraw the MLS Cup (even with a Toronto Vancouver hypothetical final) by an embarrassing margin. And there is an untapped/disgruntled base of support (as highlighted by attendance this decade) in Toronto that needs to be won back by a new ownership group that listens to the fans.

Sound familiar?

I'm not sure this group will do it but to discount them... in a year in which their attendance (and spending) are up...seems a little premature. They have said all along its a long term thing and they have long term funds to do it.
    How is the Argos' support disgruntled? The team won the Grey Cup 4 years ago? I also wouldn't use that papered attendance for the past decade as evidence that a strong fan base exists. Anyhow, the main question is being disgruntled. I see no reason why they should be. Why would they be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ maybe you would attract more soccer fans that relate more to a table champion format who currently think of MLS as minor league stuff.

Those who roll their eyes at a "key game to determine playoff seeding" or even the fact that TFC is in the "chase" for first place.

Hockey fans don't celebrate the President's Trophy in Hockey. I don't even know what the Top NBA gets for the regular season. The top NFL team? Football fans have a Super Bowl or nothing.

The difference is that soccer fans do celebrate a table champion. It's everything in most leagues. But not here.

Folks often reference the popularity of soccer in saying how big the MLS can get. So are we going after these fans by legitimizing the champion of the table as the real champion or are we going after the casual fan that will attend this as an entertainment event?

I would wager there are more of the former.
    MLS will attract more fans as the quality grows, which will happen when the salary cap increases exponentially. Everything else, single table, regular season championship, playoffs are all semantics that don't really matter. For example, if this league had a 30 million dollar salary cap for each team, nobody would be turned off that it's not single table or how playoffs exist.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Basically a lack of investment in the team and alienation of the fans.

There are a lot of atricles on how Braley ran the team. This is an example:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/argos...rs-centre.html

Argos at BMO is a step forward for them but the investment and damage repair has to continue.