Page 49 of 197 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 5892
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Als took over what would be the equivalent of Varsity stadium, BEFORE Saputo got around to putting a team together. Argos blew that opportunity at York and the neighborhood around Varsity didn't want it.
    NO ONE in 416 WANTS THEM,not just Varsity neighborhood.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cannot wait to see how the goofballs on all the Rogers media outlets spin this.......... take shot at Argos/CFL, completely ignore the soccer concerns, back to discussions on the Blue Jays rotation. rinse and repeat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    TFC probably losses twice that amount with the 3 DPs. I guess 1/20th of the expansion fees help offset that. Wouldn't put much stock in MLS franchise values. They are getting big number for these expansion teams ... but the only buyer for Chivas was eventually the league.
    TFC valued at $200m has nothing to do with expansion fees.

And the league made $40m plus on getting rid of Chivas and putting in LAFC.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Gazza_55;1736277]TFC valued at $200m has nothing to do with expansion fees.

And the league made $40m plus on getting rid of Chivas and putting in LAFC

teams folding is never a good thing regardless of any positive spin and detracts from a leagues worth. I personally feel expansion fee's for NHL and MLS franchises particularily are insane. MLS sort of comes off like a 90's NHL with recent expansion and are looking like expansion fees are being used to pay the bills whether true or not.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except the people buying into MLS are not stupid.

Guy who runs Home Depot in Atlanta

NFL and NBA types behind Sacremtnto

Minni owner is also smart as heck.

And, the owners of NYCFC never lose money - they made a ton in Manchester on area redevelopment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except the people buying into MLS are not stupid.

Guy who runs Home Depot in Atlanta

NFL and NBA types behind Sacremtnto

Minni owner is also smart as heck.

And, the owners of NYCFC never lose money - they made a ton in Manchester on area redevelopment.
    Everyone agrees there is a lot of potential. It may not be as easy as 'if you build it they will come,' though. Have there ever been any projections about where the league expected the TV numbers to be by now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The media reports are what bother me the most. The way the articles are being written, you'd think that BMO Field has no one already using it. TFC may be the primary tenant according to MLSE to appease TFC fans, but the way everything is being written, BMO field is going to be home of the Argos. Just read the comments on the TSN article.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh Tanenbaum is the devil.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    NO ONE in 416 WANTS THEM,not just Varsity neighborhood.
    Ha ha. NO ONE in the 416 knows who they are.

Maybe one time they did, but are having trouble recalling. Here's a link to a sad story about Canadian football players having their own issues recalling things. Not fun and even harder to read when having to cope with all this Argos backwash.

http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/20...h-reading.html

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post
    The media reports are what bother me the most. The way the articles are being written, you'd think that BMO Field has no one already using it. TFC may be the primary tenant according to MLSE to appease TFC fans, but the way everything is being written, BMO field is going to be home of the Argos. Just read the comments on the TSN article.
    TSN's comment boards are full of puckheads and CFL fans, most of whom troll. About as relevant to knowledge about BMO and soccer as twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN's comment boards are full of puckheads and CFL fans, most of whom troll. About as relevant to knowledge about BMO and soccer as twitter.
    Im amazed most of them know we play with a round ball to be honest.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Tannebaum and Bell are trying to buy them (Argos). That man has ruined this town for all sports , trying to be a mini Steinbrenner . But always looking like a fool . Wish he could find another hobby . Say the Leafs , run them for gods sake , I couldn't care less .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post

isn't that the underlying theme of this whole thread, if the Argos move in with their viewership plus grey cup games, BMO basically becomes home of the Argos. Suspiciously, don't the stadium rights come up for renew next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    isn't that the underlying theme of this whole thread, if the Argos move in with their viewership plus grey cup games, BMO basically becomes home of the Argos. Suspiciously, don't the stadium rights come up for renew next year.
    Argos aren't entitled to any naming rights money

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we are all trolls when it comes down to it, just depends on what side of the fence you fall on. I try to keep it neutral but often take a digging at the expense of my hockey and baseball buddies asking me if I am one of those "whiney tfc fans" when I tell them I follow the club. To be honest I am not thrilled I am looked upon that way as a fan and maybe its a part of why there is complete public indifference to the SSS opinion and argument. We are just crying wolf to the masses with our 1st world problems. I accept the Argos at this point because its futile and hope the gameday experience continues to improve despite cohabitating BMO.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Argos aren't entitled to any naming rights money

If TFC have naming rights, so do the Argos. same owners minus Rogers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's an interesting chart at the bottom of this article. Certainly this is going to change over the next ten years.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/t...an-pro-sports/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoMetros View Post
    If TFC have naming rights, so do the Argos. same owners minus Rogers.
    and argos viewership plus potential grey cup viewership substantially increases the value of those rights

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Sugarnips, if just once you responded with a 'soccer-first' reply when given a choice over siding between two sports, you might earn the merest respect.

Otherwise, you're just disgracing soccer with that Del Piero image coupled onto your 'CFL-first' attitude.

I'm on a yellow and can't fully expound my distaste.
    I can see the reason you're on a yellow.

People can disagree with me all they want, well within their right to do so. But if you dont respect me because of a difference of opinion then that in itself is dissapointing. Im not going to change my opinion to earn the "respect" of people like you. Everyone should be respected on here, no matter what their opinions are. Disagree with someone, sure, never lack respect for them.
    Last edited by king10; 04-27-2015 at 11:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

last time i checked this is a tfc supporters forum....the argos are coming to BMO i get it....so to all you argo trolls,why dont you f off and go talk argos on yr site....i am so bored with this crap.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by king10 View Post
    Because their MLS team owns their MLS stadium and can do what they want with it.
    I don't think it's that simple. I'd be very surprised if the land the stadium is on isn't still owned by the Régie des Installations Olympiques. I'd suspect that the deal they have isn't that dissimilar to what MLSE has with BMO Field. If we had someone at the top of MLSE who wouldn't in a 1000 years want the Argos in, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    last time i checked this is a tfc supporters forum....the argos are coming to BMO i get it....so to all you argo trolls,why dont you f off and go talk argos on yr site....i am so bored with this crap.
    ^ You know what, I've been thinking about it lately, and I have to agree with Reggie. I always take a very moderate stance about almost everything. But with the Argos business we see: there is absolutely no benefit of the arrangement for TFC and their fans. But lots of risk of disadvantages.

This is a TFC supporters site. If you support the Argos, that's fine, then go on the Argos fan forums or on general news sites to express those views. If you don't have anything to say that will benefit TFC, then I don't know why we have to hear about it anywhere here on this TFC supporters forum.

Recently we have found out, a big problem in this whole deal is likely MLSE itself. To TFC supporters they have sometimes hinted: sorry, the City is forcing us, nothing we can do. But on a number of occasions (most recently when they were talking to the stadium staff at BMO Field) it's become clear that MLSE is bullshitting us. Instead of focussing on making TFC better on & off the field, they figure getting the Argos in will make them more money off of managing BMO. They don't see the potential damage & loss of revenue (and goodwill) on the soccer side.

So MLSE are negotiating vigorously to get the Argos in -- apparently even offering to front part of the bill for the CFL conversion. Instead of actively lobbying to keep the Argos out. Or at least doing nothing & keeping quiet, letting the Argos or the CFL figure out.

If MLSE want to gauge the supporters' mood, they likely check the forums. If they look on here and read through this thread, they would think: wow even the TFC supporters are pretty split about this, many of them wouldn't mind the Argos coming in. Mostly due to the opinions of a few very active Argos fans on this forum.

It's really sad if that's the impression they get from a TFC supporters forum. That's not right.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    I don't think it's that simple. I'd be very surprised if the land the stadium is on isn't still owned by the Régie des Installations Olympiques. I'd suspect that the deal they have isn't that dissimilar to what MLSE has with BMO Field. If we had someone at the top of MLSE who wouldn't in a 1000 years want the Argos in, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    The deal the impact have is quite different to BMO. In the case of BMO the land is owned by the crown, and the stadium by the city.

While in Montreal the stadium is privately owned and they probably don't own the land and just lease it. That is the same situation as the Rogers Centre. Rogers owns the building but not the actual land it sits on. The land is a lease to Rogers from the crown. So if the Jays can kick the argos to the curb in a stadium they own on land they lease from the crown, the impact can do the same on a stadium they own on land they may be leasing from the crown.

The Rogers Centre land is owned by a crown agency, "canada lands company"

The Toronto Stadium Lands are comprised of 4.4 acres (1.7 hectares) and are described as the lands under which the Rogers Centre in Toronto, Ontario are located. These lands are subject to a long-term lease for the purposes of enabling the Rogers Centre to operate.

http://en.clc.ca/property/39

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread has been cleaned of some trolling and back and forth attacks between Argos supporters and others.

Please keep any comments to the point and respectful. People not following board rules will be given a time-out, two already have.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About time Argo/CFL fanboys got banned on here. It's clear they don't give a shit about "FC" or have anything to contribute outside of this topic.

I guess lack of Argo/CFL forums is attracting Argo/CFL fans to post on soccer sites about their business. How sad is that?

Anyway, Pookie posted a quote from MLSE executive on record saying they want Argos to come to BMO field. So there's no surprises to hear that 2 of 3 parties of MLSE are willing to own Argos and contribute $10 million to make BMO field more CFL friendly.

I can't wait to see Larry T mess up Argos and hook up his non-talented friends with jobs. It will be interesting to see how much Larry T and Bell is willing to spend on Argos since they wouldn't have MLSE resources to market Argos (Rogers will make sure they're not using MLSE resources to help Argos out).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    About time Argo/CFL fanboys got banned on here. It's clear they don't give a shit about "FC" or have anything to contribute outside of this topic.

I guess lack of Argo/CFL forums is attracting Argo/CFL fans to post on soccer sites about their business. How sad is that?

Anyway, Pookie posted a quote from MLSE executive on record saying they want Argos to come to BMO field. So there's no surprises to hear that 2 of 3 parties of MLSE are willing to own Argos and contribute $10 million to make BMO field more CFL friendly.

I can't wait to see Larry T mess up Argos and hook up his non-talented friends with jobs. It will be interesting to see how much Larry T and Bell is willing to spend on Argos since they wouldn't have MLSE resources to market Argos (Rogers will make sure they're not using MLSE resources to help Argos out).
    What about those of us who want to keep MLSE to their word hat of the Argos do come to BMO it will not affect TFC? We know they don't care about what goes on in the stadium, they would book anything that pays, but we can pressure them into at least trying to do it right.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    It's no more interesting than what CFL fans have known for years. Rogers hates the CFL, and will do whatever it takes to sabotage. Crappy dates at the Rogers Centre was just another step in this process, now Rogers using their board veto power to block a sale to MLSE. Even their media personalities have been discredited in this process. Braley issued a statement on what Rogers Media has been reporting for months, and what Arash tweeted out today that what he said was false, and the he's not looking for future Grey Cup profits.

What you are really looking at here, is a billion dollar company, protected by Canadian laws, attempting to destroy another Canadian institution.
    That "Canadian institution" is a term that's protecting a less than profitable product. Sure, big business is the bigger bad guy here but in this situation, here, TFC and Canada are the only ones without sympathy from the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by king10 View Post
    No reason the two teams' games can't be scheduled on alternating weekends.
    Your unfounded opinion based on unproven comments.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a harsh banning on king10 - poor kid isn't even an Argos fan. He reacted to being insulted by another poster who is already on "a yellow" - and that post is still there.

But hey - it's not my house rules.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    That's a harsh banning on king10 - poor kid isn't even an Argos fan. He reacted to being insulted by another poster who is already on "a yellow" - and that post is still there.

But hey - it's not my house rules.
    There are posts that have been cleaned up that went beyond what is seen now.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw the entire exchange earlier this morning before the deletions - the first post that started the entire exchange is still there however - #1449