Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 5892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, the cost for the CFL portion has risen 5-8m

Hunter said today it was 20-23m.

In Sept he said
    Hunter said the football conversion would run about $15-million, which is a big problem since that cost is almost certainly more than a new buyer would have to pay for the Argonauts franchise.

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/...-toronto-argos
    Last edited by denime; 04-10-2015 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Link fixed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

In Sept he said

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/cfl/can-mlse-and-a-renovated-bmo-field-save-the-toronto-argos
    Don't be surprise if number jumps up again.

I think MLSE finally realizing how much it really going to cost to build BMO field overall. They already went over $10 million on their budget for this year's BMO field renovation alone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Don't be surprise if number jumps up again.

I think MLSE finally realizing how much it really going to cost to build BMO field overall. They already went over $10 million on their budget for this year's BMO field renovation alone.
    I just throwing this out there but they might scale back the roof project to get that $10m back.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In Sept he said

Wasn't it always in the $20-30M range?

10 from City. 10 from Feds and 10 from Province to make phase 3 happen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

Thats my understanding to 10+10+10 =30m. 10 from the feds was never acheiveable ... so the Argos had to come up with the $10m.
    now is only $20-$23m. meaning the argos have to come up with 3, assuming the province is still in.

The previous $15 million was just the revised football conversion costs. But you have to add locker rooms and facilities. I assume the full in costs are $20-$23m based on talking with braley over past few months. Braley has a lease sitting on his desk, all he has to do is sign.

Still think all this is BS and MLSE and Braley are just looking to squeeze more dollars out of governments.
    Last edited by Qman; 04-11-2015 at 04:12 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    I just throwing this out there but they might scale back the roof project to get that $10m back.
    Not a chance MLSE will do that. They're not going to cancel or change plans Cuz of money - too much embarrassment will follow.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure it was like that,and since Feds will never give that money to MLSE, Argo owner/CSL have to pay $20 instead of $10 Mil. and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I like this part from old article posted above:

To put that in context, Toronto FC would likely have bidders willing to pay 10 or even 20 times that amount if that franchise was up for sale. The soccer team sells more tickets, more merchandise and other ancillaries, and has a stronger corporate base than the Argos. The CFL draws better — much better — television ratings than MLS, but that’s entirely a function of the league’s solid western base.

Toronto councillor Mark Grimes was at Tuesday’s announcement and he prefaced his remarks by saying he thought he was going to be announcing a new home for the Argos, but that Tim Leiweke, the outgoing MLSE president, told him to “put that speech away.”
    Grimes tried a different version of the same joke with MLSE chairman Larry Tanenbaum, telling him that he really hoped phase two of the BMO expansion would become a joint phase two-three. But there was still work to do on that, he said, turning to Tanenbaum on stage: “Right, Larry?”

Tanenbaum, with a tight smile and presumably unable to find a trapdoor he could pull, offered a tepid agreement.

I think I'll write an email to councillor Mark Grimes about this whole Argos to BMO BS.
    Last edited by denime; 04-11-2015 at 06:25 AM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not 100% sure because that 10/10/10 split from the original plans included a roof on the north and temp seats in the north and south. And that changed ages ago. Plus, the City's 10m was contributing to the pan-am aspect

Last edited by Areathrasher; 04-11-2015 at 07:03 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Philadelphia Eagles? They have a much better climate than us. It's Green Bay, which I think is the only NFL city on Desso with a worse climate than ours.
    Ok. didn't know Philly was that temperate. Good for them. But the Packers are the only full time tenants at Lambau, no?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Ok. didn't know Philly was that temperate. Good for them.
    Comparing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto#Climate to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia#Climate is a good indication. Phillie is much further south, and also near the Atlantic Ocean, which significantly moderates temperatures. Though they certainly had a good winter this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    But the Packers are the only full time tenants at Lambau, no?
    I'm not really that familiar with it, other than seeing the Packers on TV for 5 minutes here and there ... and I don't really follow US Football ... perhaps there's another stadium in North Dakota or Alaska I'm not familiar with as well. The issue seems to be what happens on a wet fall day during a CFL match. The answer should still be there. Also, I don't think Lambeau has as much community use at BMO Field. Add in the improved reinforced grass at BMO, and cut out the community usage, then I think we may be ahead of the current situation, even if there are some CFL games in the late summer and fall.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding is that Lambeau is only for the Packers.

just those 1 Preseason, 8 reg season, +playoffs.

However, lambeau maximizes their revenue through other things.
    Apparently there are rooms that are rented for wedding receptions.
    People use their private suite as their professional office (Lawyers, accountants).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a good map to show the micro-climates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Not a chance MLSE will do that. They're not going to cancel or change plans Cuz of money - too much embarrassment will follow.

pretty easy for TL to say ... can't put canopy over the southend now because they need to be able to fit more seats in for events like grey cup and cost overruns.

ie. were only going to cover the expensive seats

Its not like MLSE hasn't pissed on the diehard fans before --- how many price increases, how much are TFC tix compared to premiership teams for basically getting non-league level soccer.
    Last edited by Qman; 04-11-2015 at 04:29 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC change plans and don't put up the roof, I'll wear a dress to 5 home games next year. Write it down.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    If TFC change plans and don't put up the roof, I'll wear a dress to 5 home games next year. Write it down.
    The plan was the first three games, then Ivy just started to enjoy the feel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the info that has come out today, should the Argos come, the north is gone completely.

In the video I just linked, Hunter mentions putting in a stage in the north.
    This marks the first of many downgrades I fare for BMO field.
    Loosing an end just makes the stadium a whole lot less intimate to me and the only reason it is being done is to allow the Argos in.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    looking at Gabe's map...
    with all the money they are putting into the south end right now.
    they would have to undo all that work (and spending)
    to put in some sort of retractable or hinged seating structure for 9 or 10 argo events.

say they put the south end on a "track"....that would be crazy expensive.
    or if they flipped up the seats...it is almost the entire south end. again, crazy expensive.
    Think of the work being done in the south end currently (upper concourse) as 1a to introducing telescopic seating.

Work needs to be done to provide access to the new seating and movement of that many people as there is a good chance the existing tunnels will be removed.

They don't do it for the north end because the whole north end has to be torn down anyways, for the south they can just build a the new telescopic seating and fit it in.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Think of the work being done in the south end currently (upper concourse) as 1a to introducing telescopic seating.

Work needs to be done to provide access to the new seating and movement of that many people as there is a good chance the existing tunnels will be removed.

They don't do it for the north end because the whole north end has to be torn down anyways, for the south they can just build a the new telescopic seating and fit it in.
    There are facilities like washrooms, storage and restaurants under there. All things that have to be provisioned for if wiped away for and end zone (depending on depth).
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    There are facilities like washrooms, storage and restaurants under there. All things that have to be provisioned for if wiped away for and end zone (depending on depth).
    True. But if the telescopic seating is introduced and tunnels had to be removed, wouldn't it render the that lower concourse almost useless? Who's going to want to walk up then down stairs for bathroom/food bev's when there are many on either side of the stadium second level?

I wouldn't be totally surprised if the CFL dressing rooms end up under the endzone concourses.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    True. But if the telescopic seating is introduced and tunnels had to be removed, wouldn't it render the that lower concourse almost useless? Who's going to want to walk up then down stairs for bathroom/food bev's when there are many on either side of the stadium second level?

I wouldn't be totally surprised if the CFL dressing rooms end up under the endzone concourses.
    Dressing rooms are under the east stand for non soccer sports (Rugby and CFL)

As much as people may not want to walk downstairs that is where the washrooms are and having less would suck. Food = revenue. I can't see them abandoning those things so they can have less seating for events.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About the north.

I am still trying to get my head around MLSE voluntarily getting rid of 2-3K worth of seating and the revenue that comes with those bodies in order to have a big gigantic open space that possibly could be used as a stage.

I still think they will telescope those northern seats like the plan is for the South.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    About the north.

I am still trying to get my head around MLSE voluntarily getting rid of 2-3K worth of seating and the revenue that comes with those bodies in order to have a big gigantic open space that possibly could be used as a stage.

I still think they will telescope those northern seats like the plan is for the South.

Guys..... I think some people are misinterpreting the wording. Hunter said a "STAGING" area, not a stage. He also doesn't mention anything about the north end with respect to the staging area. A staging area doesn't necessarily mean a stage. What he could mean by staging area is extra dressing rooms and prep areas for concerts( and other sports) located under the stands.

"We would love to get back in the concert business and if in fact the CFL did happen here, that would allow us to create a new staging area that would allow us to do bigger outdoor shows and I feel that would be a great opportunity for us".

You don't need the CFL to build a stage, but if the CFL did come you would need a larger "staging area" ie. change rooms, storage space, prep space etc etc.

Definition of a staging area.....

A staging area (otherwise staging point, staging base or staging post) is a location where organisms, people, vehicles, equipment or material are assembled before use. It may refer to:

Entertainment Places designated for setting up parades and other elaborate presentations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staging_area
    Last edited by king10; 04-13-2015 at 12:12 PM.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair I saw an interview with him from Friday where they asked about a stage and the possibility of using the venue for concerts in the future.

Genesis played there a number of years ago and the north end was the stage setup. Good show too

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, the Genesis show.
    and Bill Clinton Spoke there.

i had heard things in the past how MLSE would love to control an alternate outdoor concert venue.

the amphitheatre is a nice place to see a concert.

1. The amphitheatre has a capacity of approximately 16,000. There are5,500 reserved seats under the 60-foot-high covered roof, 3,500 seatsunder the open sky, and 7,000 seats on the grass bowl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    To be fair I saw an interview with him from Friday where they asked about a stage and the possibility of using the venue for concerts in the future.

Genesis played there a number of years ago and the north end was the stage setup. Good show too

Your both right.
    He said "staging area" and "using it for concerts".
    I took that to mean the basically a flat patio like they have in Hamilton for the same purpose, but during games its a bar and lounge seating. The new stadium in san jose has this too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Your both right.
    He said "staging area" and "using it for concerts".
    I took that to mean the basically a flat patio like they have in Hamilton for the same purpose, but during games its a bar and lounge seating. The new stadium in san jose has this too.
    So basicly a shittier stadium to allow the Argos in, despite what MLSE was saying 3 months ago and despite the renderings

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever they mean by this shit means not soccer specific. I'm not wasting time thinking about what compromise is a cooler capitulation.

Hurry up may. Make the Argos go away another year.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by troy1982 View Post
    So basicly a shittier stadium to allow the Argos in, despite what MLSE was saying 3 months ago and despite the renderings
    Those new season seats wernt going to sell themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems the Mens National team might be on the lookout for a new home after summer, away from BMO due to the potential change from grass to artificial. "Floro suggested that there was a “problem” that may preclude his team from using BMO Field – which will also host Gold Cup games – after this summer."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ho-akindele-cl

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by evermorian View Post
    It seems the Mens National team might be on the lookout for a new home after summer, away from BMO due to the potential change from grass to artificial. "Floro suggested that there was a “problem” that may preclude his team from using BMO Field – which will also host Gold Cup games – after this summer."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ho-akindele-cl
    Devastating if it is true. I honestly love the Canada games more than anything. Not to mention I am missing so many TFC games this spring, I would've loved to have made up those dates with some World Cup games. Also, I have built up a group of about 10-15 friends that I force to go to these games. Would hate to break up that routine.