Page 27 of 197 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Wow - I don't even know where to start with that post
    I would expect much fact checking from him. He'll just ignore it when another long, error riddled post about how his opinion is fact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Quelle surprise.

Call Mulder.
    I like how I'm being painted as a CFL lover for making a few points about how York currently isn't a feasible option for the Argos.

I guess someone didn't learn from the warning he got last week.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Problem there is currency (Peso isn't worth much compare to dollar and pound/euro). It will be too costly for Mexicans to attend NFL game while players might not be open playing in Mexico regularly.
    Just like any other country or city. Mexico city has a sizeable wealthy population. It would be a corporate crowd. The rich attending, not the middle class.

You're right on getting players to play there may be tough though. Same with getting players to play in London or Toronto. Just look at the Raptors for such a long time players cringed at having to play there.
    Last edited by king10; 03-25-2015 at 02:54 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by king10 View Post
    where the heck did i rip on soccer? I just stated facts of england nt. Please dont throw accusations around like that.

Also thanks for branding me solely a CFL fan when I've had TFC season tix with my family since 2007 and haven't missed a MNT team game at BMO in years.

but sure since im a CFL fan I cant be a fan of soccer as well.
    I like how I'm being painted as a CFL lover for making a few points about how York currently isn't a feasible option for the Argos.

I guess someone didn't learn from the warning he got last week.
    you and me both

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well - you're a TiCats fan at least - so he's partially right

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well - you're a TiCats fan at least - so he's partially right

hahaha you got me there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that's case, then might as fold right now. Toronto NFL team will destroy Argos to a point that BMO field will become too big of stadium for Argos to play in. So they might as well end up playing at Varsity Stadium that has capacity of 5,000 seats.

Blue Jays arrival hurt Argos, but Toronto NFL team will kill Argos for good.
    I wonder about that. Look at what TFC has done with TFC2. What's to keep MLSE from using the Argos as the call-up farm team for a Toronto NFL franchise? Compared to the NFL Salary Cap, the CFL will be peanuts. Knowing that future NFLers may be playing with the Argos might drum up interest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just like any other country or city. Mexico city has a sizeable wealthy population. It would be a corporate crowd. The rich attending, not the middle class.

You're right on getting players to play there may be tough though. Same with getting players to play in London or Toronto. Just look at the Raptors for such a long time players cringed at having to play there.
    But are those wealthy people willing to buy NFL tickets and become SSH? I think not or else we will hear more about Mexico City instead of London and even Toronto than Mexico City.

It will be a lot harder to run NFL team in Mexico than it will be in Toronto.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But are those wealthy people willing to buy NFL tickets and become SSH? I think not or else we will hear more about Mexico City instead of London and even Toronto than Mexico City.

It will be a lot harder to run NFL team in Mexico than it will be in Toronto.

Well the wealthy toronto ppl werent exactly interested in buying tix to the bills in toronto series either.....

Also theres just as much news as NFL to mexico city. Just do a quick google search. Of course in Toronto you won't hear much about it because its Toronto toronto toronto

for example.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...r-nfl-markets/

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/24...s-football.htm

Also Mexico City isn't cannabalizing an existing market (buffalo). Would the toronto team have to pay a huge fee to buffalo for infringing on their tv market?
    Last edited by king10; 03-25-2015 at 03:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the wealthy toronto ppl werent exactly interested in buying tix to the bills in toronto series either.....

Also theres just as much news as NFL to mexico city. Just do a quick google search. Of course in Toronto you won't hear much about it because its Toronto toronto toronto

for example.

Also Mexico City isn't cannabalizing an existing market (buffalo). Would the toronto team have to pay a huge fee to buffalo for infringing on their tv market?
    So how many investors planned to bid on getting Mexican NFL team? How come we don't hear owners from small market teams threat to relocate their team to Mexico City like we hear with Toronto and London?

This Mexico City talk is nothing but a marketing plot to attract large Mexican American community to NFL.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I wonder about that. Look at what TFC has done with TFC2. What's to keep MLSE from using the Argos as the call-up farm team for a Toronto NFL franchise? ....
    CFL and NFL rules would prevent it. And if the CFL even considers the idea of being a farm league for the NFL, most CFL supporters would have a bird.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So how many investors planned to bid on getting Mexican NFL team? How come we don't hear owners from small market teams threat to relocate their team to Mexico City like we hear with Toronto and London?
    Cause we don't hear this about London or Toronto. (except in the warped minds of some NFL nuts here)

LA is the usual suspect for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for example.

Poorly marketed and executed experience, below what people expect of an NFL game. For what they were charging you could rent a limo with tailgate and go to Buffalo for 75% of the cost. So using that as the representation is flawed.

The later ones were to grab cash, not test the depth of the market.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cox being absolutely non-committal about the story with Bob McCowan now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cox being absolutely non-committal about the story with Bob McCowan now
    What do you except? He doesn't even know what he's talking about.

He should stick with talking about hockey.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Mexico City talk is nothing but a marketing plot to attract large Mexican American community to NFL.
    Who other than buffalo threatened to move to toronto? Only reason buffalo did was because of its proximity to buffalo.
    And london and mex city would be expansions. Not relocations. No american owner would relocate out of the country. It would have to be expansion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh god no - he's worse at that - tennis is where he belongs

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Poorly marketed and executed experience, below what people expect of an NFL game. .
    And yet all we hear from the NFL on that experience is that Toronto isn't interested.

Nah, the move to Toronto isn't happening anytime soon.

All we got today was an interview by QMI (who don't forget are getting back the biggest NFL booster in Godfrey who is going to be the publisher of the new SUN/Post merged paper) with the Bills new owner saying they would have no issue with at Toronto team.

Means nothing about the Argos to BMO.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poorly marketed and executed experience, below what people expect of an NFL game. For what they were charging you could rent a limo with tailgate and go to Buffalo for 75% of the cost. So using that as the representation is flawed.

The later ones were to grab cash, not test the depth of the market.
    A toronto nfl team would be priced similar to the bills in toronto series and what the maple leafs charge. Its big league and theyre gunna charge as such.

Me personally id never go. My family has bills seasons tickets and im a bills fan. Cheapest prices in the league and tailgating experience second to none. Not gunna find that with a toronto expansion team. Plus i like supporting a small town team like buffalo and their die hard fans. I feel a toronto team would just be a corporate money grab like the leafs are and the bills in toronto series was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A toronto nfl team would be priced similar to the bills in toronto series and what the maple leafs charge. Its big league and theyre gunna charge as such.
    No denying that. However it would also come with a proper setup and not another city's team. Not every NFL fan in Toronto is a bills fan.

Not to dismiss your lack of interest but it isn't the regular cfl / bills fan the NFL cares about. It's everyone else. It's just such a sports powerhouse killing the market for the cfl in Toronto would be inevitable.

Is it potentially a ways away? Sure. Because it doesn't happen without a non-corporate owner (yet to be found) and a massive handout for a stadium(which they demand everywhere they go). But the interest is already enough to justify a team, hardly see that as a point of debate.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 03-25-2015 at 04:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Thank you for your email.We have passed along your concerns to your account representative. Please understand that BMO Field has been at the center of discussions as a potential new home for the Argos for a number of months, however an agreement has not been finalized at this point.
    Kind Regards,
    Fan Services"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No denying that. However it would also come with a proper setup and not another city's team. Not every NFL fan in Toronto is a bills fan.

Not to dismiss your lack of interest but it isn't the regular cfl / bills fan the NFL cares about. It's everyone else. It's just such a sports powerhouse killing the market for the cfl in Toronto would be inevitable.

Is it potentially a ways away? Sure. Because it doesn't happen without a non-corporate owner (yet to be found) and a massive handout for a stadium(which they demand everywhere they go). But the interest is already enough to justify a team, hardly see that as a point of debate.
    I would debate that the interest isn't there yet for the biggest NFL decision makers - the American tv networks who have billions invested in the game until 2021/2022 under present contracts. I think that the NFL talks about growing the game internationally (showcase games in London are a positive, Mexico City games are possible (was there a pre-season game south of the border?) and we saw the Bills in Toronto series) but the TV networks will always want to drive the actual franchises into the US TV markets now without a team. The NFL knows where the dollars are coming from. The NFL even split of TV revenue would also be a huge obstacle to a new franchise not within the American tv market...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Yeah, I have to agree... somewhat.

Again though, put aside any bias as a soccer fan people may have, let's be honest enough to admit that BMO Field is a very attractive venue for the Argonauts for obvious reasons. This is why the topic has been brought up regularly since the stadium was even finished getting built. It's exactly what the Argonauts want and need. It's not too big and not too small - perfect for CFL crowds. And it's centrally located just like Rogers Centre, but with a relatively inexpensive lease and with a secondary tenant that doesn't play 81 home games - necessitating some pretty complicated scheduling as a result. There's no doubt in my mind moving to BMO Field could benefit the Argonauts greatly - at least in the short term. But is it enough to keep the franchise afloat when Canadian Football itself as a sport has been on a consistent decline over the past few decades? I think I agree that in the end this move may only prove to be a temporary fix to their financial woes, but it's hard to say. In the very long term, I don't think the Argonauts will be able to compete with soccer - which is gaining fans by the droves every year, and the recent resurgence in popularity that baseball seems to be getting. And honestly, that's tough for me to say because I don't want anything of the sort to happen to the Argos. Used to be a big fan myself and wish nothing but the best for the team and their fans. But again, ground-sharing with them puts BOTH clubs at a significant disadvantage.

AND ANOTHER THING!

You're right about the lack of representation from the CSA. If I were running the show there I would have very vocal in protesting any possible ground-sharing scheme back when we still had time to stop it. Was there no way they could have offered to schedule more national team matches at BMO Field?
    if the Argos move to BMO, either both clubs will suffer or both clubs will do well, which way TFC goes is up to us, the ticket paying public and how much we are willing to take, once we see the game day environment. I do have to say, don't lump in the whole CFL is going down hill for decades line. The Argos have gone down hill with a couple of up turns, but the CFL it selfs is has been going on the upswing. You don't more then double your TV deal if the league is in decline for decades

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CFL has issues related to demographics. They are not getting uptake by people under 30 outside of the prairies.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    CFL has issues related to demographics. They are not getting uptake by people under 30 outside of the prairies.
    and Hamilton.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for example.

Toronto NFL fans were cultivated enough not to buy tickets for a bad team in a bad situation. They don't want to be a patchwork, part-time solution to another team's problems. But if Toronto were in the same division as Buffalo, we'd be a huge rival and a boost to ticket sales there.

And a franchise in Mexico City? Not a chance. Not a farthing's worth in the next decade.

You won't get American players to go there willingly. There's language and culture issues and personal security would be a massive concern. Many American business executives that travel to Mexico City arrange for personal security to ensure they're not kidnapped. NFL players would be even bigger, more high profile targets. Look at what NASCAR had to do when they were staging races there. They'd muster a convoy of transport trucks at the border and meet up with an escort full of well-staffed, heavily armed Hummers and security vehicles. When the races ended, same deal back to El Paso.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and Hamilton.
    True dat. But you can't build a league across Canada without Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True dat. But you can't build a league across Canada without Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal.
    Fair point.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oops.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 03-25-2015 at 06:46 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto is their biggest problem. But Montreal is not far behind. Give Ottawa time to get past the curiosity factor of the new stadium and they'll join them.

Good luck finding kids, high school or university students who want to talk CFL. I live in the heart of Toronto and never hear casual conversations about the CFL. No one talks about them like they do the Leafs, Raptors, Jays or soccer - and I say soccer because TFC are part of the game's massive mix.

Where the CFL teams in Toronto and Montreal have big worries is that the presence of an MLS club draws coverage and further cuts into their own play in the media, making even harder to make inroads into a young audience. And that young potential(that's all it is, potential) audience isn't playing their game in their recreational moments. They are playing other sports, with soccer at the top of the list and basketball making moves up.

When anyone talks about kids and football, it's with great concern regarding head injuries. The spate of high-profile suicides in recent years has caused great concern amongst school administrators, where risk mitigation is a massive concern.

Then there's the fact that immigration is driving Canada's growth and federal immigration policies are geared to keeping that flow going to keep Canada growing. Newcomers to Canada can immediately relate to soccer - it's the universal sporting language and the gateway into social integration for many children new to Canada. The CFL is a remote concept for them and one that fades almost completely from view when placed in competition for the attention of kids and immigrants with everything else going on in this city. And Montreal.