Page 100 of 197 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 3,000 of 5892
    RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milanista View Post
    and if teams like Milan and Inter can play on hybrid grass, I'm sure TFC can manage to as well
    Remind us again how many CFL games are played at the San Siro each year.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woohoo, 100 pages!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I would argue it should be 3rd week of September with playoffs starting the middle week of March and done by the end of April. But then I'm not a greedy owner/player/agent/broadcaster who wants 80+ games a season to suck out of people who watch that dreck they play during the season. Heck, I can only really watch the NHL for a couple of games during the playoffs before the sheer stupidity of all of it annoys the hell out of me. Playoff beards, injuries not reported, hacking and slashing and pulling not called, mano v mano "He's EVIL" media reports, breathless discussions of how the 4th lines compare, stupid coach comments, mayor bets - its all become so much made to fill air time on Canadian media predictable schlock.

Olympic hockey and the Spengler Cup - everything else (including now every level of junior hockey) is overhyped and overprocessed dog pee sold as manly beer.
    Maybe a bad analogy but if anyone was a 'rasslin' fan back in the late 80's and into the early 90s when did you ever see a guy like Hogan or the Ultimate Warrior 'rassle' on TV? Never. All they ever did was 'over'hype the next BIG event 4 months down the road on PPV.
    Sports are the exact same, its just a matter of if you buy into it or if your interest level is into the game being 'overhyped'.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People let's reign in the off topic sports.

Footy has potential but the reason they renovated the stadium wasn't just for TFC. The Argos at their best can sellout BMO. The hockey at BMO will make a metric shit tonne of moneys.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    People let's reign in the off topic sports.

Footy has potential but the reason they renovated the stadium wasn't just for TFC. The Argos at their best can sellout BMO. The hockey at BMO will make a metric shit tonne of moneys.
    And that's one of the big reasons for the reno...the Leafs centennial season is coming up in 16/17 I think and Winter Classic vs the Habs is on tap.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers7 View Post
    And that's one of the big reasons for the reno...the Leafs centennial season is coming up in 16/17 I think and Winter Classic vs the Habs is on tap.
    BMO is not big enough for that. But I guess they can flex their "temp seats" experiment to show the CFL that a final there would be dooooable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    BMO is not big enough for that. But I guess they can flex their "temp seats" experiment to show the CFL that a final there would be dooooable?
    big enough? MLSE doesn't care...they'll charge up the wazoo like they do already because its an 'event'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

big enough? MLSE doesn't care...they'll charge up the wazoo like they do already because its an 'event'
    Charging up the wazoo is standard practice for MLSE. They want a super cow for this kind of event. And they have to split some of the coin with the visiting team too just like in Michigan the Wings/Leafs split revenues. So splitting 30k seats at a super price is still not the super cow they would want. But we're getting off topic again.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Woohoo, 100 pages!!!
    I was wondering if we'd get there.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Yes . That's the expectation. Added seats for hockey and Grey Cups.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone watching the Columbus at Philly match?
    WTF is up with their pitch?
    It's horrendous, worse than Houston.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    Rugby and Lacrosse

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Rugby and Lacrosse
    Columbus player wiped out at midfield, where the pitch is patched up, likely due to a big logo which was there for one of the other events. That caused the turnover which led to Philly's first goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only good thing that has ever involved the Argos is when Owen Hart walked out with their jersey to wind up the crowd in Hamilton.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa8...wen-hart_sport

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would all artificial turf options include the black pellets embedded in the turf that result in a cloud of dust every time the ball bounces? Portland games look terrible beacause of this, the women's World Cup games in Edmonton also had the same issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is incredible how many thousands of those little black pellets are embedded in the turf on artificial surfaces. I just came from an open house that the Ti-Cats hosted at Tim Hortons Field and it really is an insane amount of those pellets.

In the first picture you can see how tiny they are and the second picture if you look closely you can see just how many are embedded in there.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ try vacuuming them up after your kid plays on one of them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They think there is a relation between those pellets and c-word b/c of the high VOC when you play indoors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone think of examples where a football team shares/has shared a pitch with another sport and it actually turned out okay? Obviously what they're doing at PPL Park right now isn't working ...

When Wigan was in the EPL they were sharing their stadium with a Rugby team, and as far as I can recall there weren't too many issues with that ... although I remember one game where the pitch was torn to shreds and it really was pretty awful to watch the players attempt to play. But of course they just has a regular grass pitch (and who knows what kind of system they were using) and not hybrid.

I don't know ... it just seems like it's only 8 home games a year, and if TFC plays on Saturday and then the Argos on Sunday the pitch will have a week to recover ... I feel there's a good possibility it *could* be okay.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ Hull shares with rugby. Games sometimes Friday (Rugby) and Sunday (EPL... well not next year.. Sorry Tigers.)

worked out fine except for the lines on the pitch. They have hybrid grass

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ^ try vacuuming them up after your kid plays on one of them
    Um try picking them out of your skin...not fun.

Bushleague.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Can anyone think of examples where a football team shares/has shared a pitch with another sport and it actually turned out okay? Obviously what they're doing at PPL Park right now isn't working ...

When Wigan was in the EPL they were sharing their stadium with a Rugby team, and as far as I can recall there weren't too many issues with that ... although I remember one game where the pitch was torn to shreds and it really was pretty awful to watch the players attempt to play. But of course they just has a regular grass pitch (and who knows what kind of system they were using) and not hybrid.

I don't know ... it just seems like it's only 8 home games a year, and if TFC plays on Saturday and then the Argos on Sunday the pitch will have a week to recover ... I feel there's a good possibility it *could* be okay.
    people want the pitch in perfect condition, they want no trace of any lines on the field.

To my knowledge no one has ever found a Fotty team that shares a stadium with a pointy ball team on real grass where the grass has been kept in constant good condition. You can look at Philly Unuin and see advertising markings and faint lines and a bit torn up field from Rugby/Lacrosse games played days or even a week before MLS game. FC Dallas field has shown faint pointy ball lines from local high school matches. Wigan in England have shared with Rugby team and there has been cases where faint rugby lines are visable and the field got torn up. WEMBLEY has had NFL games played, with England National team playing mid week game with faint NFL markings and some pretty shitty torn up muddy grass.

I can't really think of anyone who can prove the Argos will leave the grass in perfect condition for an entire season if sharing with Toronto FC.

Another big worry is even if they can schedule Argos and Toronto FC a week a part, meaning the grass has time to heal, what happens for later scheduling matches like Concacaf Champions League or MLS and CFL playoff matches with very little time to schedule match dates????

The hope now going around is that maybe Argos will actually play on some Hybrid Turf, that can be rolled and off of the Hybrid Grass that Toronto FC will play on. Meaning they won't actually even use the same surface. Other then that I just don't see the grass lasting the long run if they were to share the same field. I have just never seen it proven over a long period of time, ever.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Big Tim thanks you for your optimism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I would argue it should be 3rd week of September with playoffs starting the middle week of March and done by the end of April. But then I'm not a greedy owner/player/agent/broadcaster who wants 80+ games a season to suck out of people who watch that dreck they play during the season. Heck, I can only really watch the NHL for a couple of games during the playoffs before the sheer stupidity of all of it annoys the hell out of me. Playoff beards, injuries not reported, hacking and slashing and pulling not called, mano v mano "He's EVIL" media reports, breathless discussions of how the 4th lines compare, stupid coach comments, mayor bets - its all become so much made to fill air time on Canadian media predictable schlock.

Olympic hockey and the Spengler Cup - everything else (including now every level of junior hockey) is overhyped and overprocessed dog pee sold as manly beer.
    Come May I am getting patio stuff set up not thinking about Ice any more, how the hell does Hockey still playing in mid June? Sport needs to end sooner. Use to love Hockey as a kid, League bored me to death in the long run tho. NHL Season is exciting for first 2 weeks, the good old Christmas Holiday juniors and Spengler Cup, and then back to the last 2 weeks of NHL, all the rest in between is boring as shit. First few playoff rounds are good, but once the sun and heat comes, I am completely over Hockey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Um try picking them out of your skin...not fun.

Bushleague.
    ROFL, like nobody's gotten dirty on a field before. Yeah that shit gets everywhere and it's not as good a grass, but this is a bit dramatic.

Given the quality of the average gras field I grew up on I looked forward to those games on the new turf. I mean for pros it's a different standard - but I'm not going to feel to bad for them if they are exposed to those oh-so-terrible pellets.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    ROFL, like nobody's gotten dirty on a field before. Yeah that shit gets everywhere and it's not as good a grass, but this is a bit dramatic.

Given the quality of the average gras field I grew up on I looked forward to those games on the new turf. I mean for pros it's a different standard - but I'm not going to feel to bad for them if they are exposed to those oh-so-terrible pellets.
    I expect a little more for the highest level of play vs me in a rec league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just hate those pellets in my shoes and the carpet burn on the legs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    people want the pitch in perfect condition, they want no trace of any lines on the field.

To my knowledge no one has ever found a Fotty team that shares a stadium with a pointy ball team on real grass where the grass has been kept in constant good condition. You can look at Philly Unuin and see advertising markings and faint lines and a bit torn up field from Rugby/Lacrosse games played days or even a week before MLS game. FC Dallas field has shown faint pointy ball lines from local high school matches. Wigan in England have shared with Rugby team and there has been cases where faint rugby lines are visable and the field got torn up. WEMBLEY has had NFL games played, with England National team playing mid week game with faint NFL markings and some pretty shitty torn up muddy grass.

I can't really think of anyone who can prove the Argos will leave the grass in perfect condition for an entire season if sharing with Toronto FC.

Another big worry is even if they can schedule Argos and Toronto FC a week a part, meaning the grass has time to heal, what happens for later scheduling matches like Concacaf Champions League or MLS and CFL playoff matches with very little time to schedule match dates????

The hope now going around is that maybe Argos will actually play on some Hybrid Turf, that can be rolled and off of the Hybrid Grass that Toronto FC will play on. Meaning they won't actually even use the same surface. Other then that I just don't see the grass lasting the long run if they were to share the same field. I have just never seen it proven over a long period of time, ever.
    You are correct. It hasn't been proven yet. But the "later scheduled events like CONCACAF & MLS/CFL Playoffs" are a red herring. The Argos can only play ONE home playoff game and it will be on 1 of 2 Sundays (so after the TFC match or a week before). These dates are known in February of every year. The first round of MLS playoffs can be planned for by having the Argos play their last 2 games of the regular season on the road (which they are doing this year I believe). The Champions League Group Stage dates are also known months in advance so TFC can plan as if they are going to be in them. That's not a problem. Neither is CL Quarter-Finals and onwards as they occur well before the CFL season starts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it's happening now ... no going back.

We'll just have to hope for the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    I just hate those pellets in my shoes and the carpet burn on the legs

thats crap. never had carpet burn from any of the new type field turf installed in the last 10+ years. The plastic pitches 25-35 years ago would peel your skin off like road rash, and were really just good for field hockey.
    I love playing on the new stuff ... field is perfectly flat and bounces are true.

fully expect ML$E will go back to fieldturf within a decade. We just haven't had enough games in march and november to see how bad the the grass field gets. hopefully hybrid works.