Page 93 of 197 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143193 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,790 of 5892
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KevinRoughRider View Post
    I am sorry to read all the venom directed towards the CFL and the Argos. It's a shame.
    I hope I'm the only one to bite.

For me, the CFL is fine but there is a very real chance that our field suffers because of it. If there was a sport that co-inhabited your grounds and made your playing surface worse, you'd be angry correct?

That's the simplest way to put it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sorry to read all the venom directed towards the CFL and the Argos. It's a shame.
    Its sport. People care.

The Grass matters.

The National Soccer Stadium matters.

MLSE's inability to follow through on promises matters.

And the Argos havn't done much of anything in this city for well over 30 years in terms of actually trying to promote themselves. They rely upon people like you and me, CFL fans for other teams. (Ti-cat fan and TFC supporter)

And don't get me started on the fallacy of looking at Argo success through TV numbers.

And I still stand by my criticisms of the Argos and the CFL in general - they have to diversify and get to a younger demographic or the sport will die. For Pete's sake, playoff games in Toronto against Hamilton are mostly Ti-Cat fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough and I am NOT going to troll and be a jerk. There is no need for that. Like I said, I just hope we can one day all support each other. I have spoken my peace and I am off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a lot being thrown back at TFC from Argos and CFL fans in other places as well

It's not productive for either side. Neither is the enemy for each other, and only detracts from what is important.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you were a TFC fan and read any of their remarks in the paper or heard on the radio or tv, I guarentee you'd be more than a little pissed off. Before the last few weeks I was pretty ambivalent toward the Argo fans - even sympathetic of the plight their club is currently in.

Not anymore.

I haven't seen any other group of sports fans in this city even come close to the level of entitlement and pettiness these jerk-offs are operating on. And I used to be a Argos fan! I used to watch the Double Blue play regularly up until 2007 and have a metric assload of Argos jerseys, shirts, and gear here in my house. Now, I'm embarrassed to have ever been associated with some of those insecure, spoiled assholes.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sure this has probably been posted, but this board is massive. I don`t trust them getting the lines off perfectly and the field being a great condition because of scenes like this

Or while MLSE say they will get the lines off completely, the field will be in good condition and most importantly to all this working is probably them scheduling a Argos game 1 week before the next TFC game giving time for the field to heal.....but what happens when playoffs start, or Concacaf Champions League matches with short notice scheduling...well this is what has happened in Seattle before

well hard to blame any of us for being very worried about the Argos moving in. And why would we trust MLSE`s word well they have lied to us before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must have missed when the Seahawks joined the CFL and started playing in a CFL sized dimension pitch....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    If you were a TFC fan and read any of their remarks in the paper or heard on the radio or tv, I guarentee you'd be more than a little pissed off. Before the last few weeks I was pretty ambivalent toward the Argo fans - even sympathetic of the plight their club is currently in.

Not anymore.

I haven't seen any other group of sports fans in this city even come close to the level of entitlement and pettiness these jerk-offs are operating on. And I used to be a Argos fan! I used to watch the Double Blue play regularly up until 2007 and have a metric assload of Argos jerseys, shirts, and gear here in my house. Now, I'm embarrassed to have ever been associated with some of those insecure, spoiled assholes.
    Careful now, many Argos/CFL fans feel the same way about a some TFC fans. Considering that it was funded on the premise that the stadium could be used for both sports, I think they have a little more of an argument.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard Tanebaum, talking about co-sharing. The moment the Argos think they are not sub-tenants, there will be hell to pay. BMO field is our home. I am ok with others using the stadium, but when I see big Argos sign over the gates, I will get pissed.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a link from Argos TV showing how great BMO Field is for pointyball:

http://www.argonauts.ca/video/index/id/110093
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    You can't have a beer with those you disagree with?

There's a scene painted on here of U-sector climbing over each other for freebies while the steadfast RPB members solemnly protest. I wasn't there, but this portrait feels a bit circlejerky ala 2008.

What really happened?
    Just to be clear - all the Usector people I know where trying to get away from the handout. That was very clear to me that their group was on the same page as everyone else. The problem was they went to their stand first and it the section is massive.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Careful now, many Argos/CFL fans feel the same way about a some TFC fans. Considering that it was funded on the premise that the stadium could be used for both sports, I think they have a little more of an argument.
    Well, to expand on that - it was the original intent, sure.

But the way the stadium got funded by MLSE and its money injections it became a soccer specific stadium hence MAJOR work is needed to accommodate the CFL field.

Then look at the natural surface installed by MLSE on their dime, along with the public use renovation to Lamport. Again a significant investment (probably more spent on this then what the Argos sold for) pushing the stadium into the 'soccer specific' declaration.

Now look at the investment to expand the stadium $120 million - and rising.

Whatever the original intent for the ground share it is arguable that the stadium evolved out of that vision during the first building phase alone.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Money usually talks. Just not when there is "historic institutions" involved. There is no possible way I can fathom this situation in reverse.

I won't deny TFC used a multi stadium proposal to get something built - like almost every other stadium in this country - The Argos are getting an incredible deal after the fact. There's nothing left for the situation but for TFC supporters to hope we get an NFL team where the Argos can be in a facility built for their game and more than likely share their colour sceme.

It seems ridiculous that it would need to take a billion dollar team to come to town to move the Argos into a proper stadium but they (Argos and the Uni's) have screwed up the best possibility of groundshare multiple times over.

THAT is shameful.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I must have missed when the Seahawks joined the CFL and started playing in a CFL sized dimension pitch....
    um why would it matter if Seahawks are in the NFL or CFL or the dimensions...the point is if you have a pointy ball team sharing the stadium with a MLS team and playoffs/Concacaf Champions League was to come up, it means less time to schedule around each other, meaning you have less time repair the field,remove lines exc. Doesn't matter if its NFL or CFL, doesn't matter if the fields are different sizes, there still is lines all over the dam place in pointy ball and pointy ball has shown in other stadiums that they can cause damage to the grass that takes weeks to prepare.

I am not saying it is impossible to not remove the lines, repair the field exc to share the stadium....but I have never been proven that they can do all this as well. The only ones that I have seen that have guaranteed the field would be in great condition for soccer games is MLSE....who have lied to us before already, so are they really trust worthy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Here's a link from Argos TV showing how great BMO Field is for pointyball:

http://www.argonauts.ca/video/index/id/110093
    "What sticks out to you?" How about all the red?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see a big Argos logo on the other side (south) of the new East Stand like the TFC one on the other side.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duane Rollins@24thminute 32m32 minutes agoToronto, Ontario
    Was told on weekend and have had it confirmed now that MLSE now prefers the 2 surfaces, 1 stadium solution to BMO. Looking seriously at it.
    Duane Rollins@24thminute 14m14 minutes agoToronto, Ontario
    @RudiSchuller was also told the Argos concerns are of a low priority to BoD. But best not to get into that today...
    Make of all that what you will but it looks like the concerns of the supporters is having some resonance with the brass.

And this was and is the only truly viable option for BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so are they looking to put turf on the top of the grass for argo games?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    [/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

Make of all that what you will but it looks like the concerns of the supporters is having some resonance with the brass.

And this was and is the only truly viable option for BMO.
    This is great news. Many of us have proposed the idea in this thread, and it seems to be a viable alternative for all parties involved.

If the Argos play on a separate artificial turf that won't compromise the hybrid pitch, I will have absolutely no concerns about ground sharing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    so are they looking to put turf on the top of the grass for argo games?
    'Seriously' looking at that option. It is the really only solution that can make this good for both sides. Not sure the costs involved but considering that they do plan on hosting ice hockey at BMO, they will have to invest in a Terratile or similar type system to protect the grass from the rink anyway. Only extra investment would be the Argos turf and they could litter that fucker with advertising if they wanted and no one would care.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duane is right though on his Twitter; just because they are 'seriously' considering it doesn't mean it's done. The pressure should be kept up.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would imagine that the 'deal' somehow includes that bell and the christmas tree man would have to pony up for any and all damages to the field.

If our concerns actually start getting to their pocket books (lets face it, its what influences decisions) then they could be twisted to pony up for a collapsable multi use surface over constant repair bills with escalating labour costs.

I am sure for a couple years they will be trotting in the Scotts emergency fixes, but at some point bell and Larry will get sick of going to the troff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it would be interesting to know how much the argos are paying for the renting of BMO.that should be public shouldnt it be?
    Last edited by reggie; 05-26-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much are TFC paying?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    How much are TFC paying?
    I would think that because MLSE pay for maintenance and upkeep of the stadium and pitch that it would be nothing or close to it. The Argos aren't owned by MLSE and are only using them as a management group so they should pay a rental fee.

But probably won't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    How much are TFC paying?
    I believe there is an income statement out there RE BMO Field. Someone had posted it here before, so you should be able to find it on google. That should give you an idea of what TFC is paying. Although I'm not sure what their lease agreement with the City is.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    I believe there is an income statement out there RE BMO Field. Someone had posted it here before, so you should be able to find it on google. That should give you an idea of what TFC is paying. Although I'm not sure what their lease agreement with the City is.
    It's a portion of the gate and parking, and concessions. it's not a fixed cost.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#2Surfaces1Stadium

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    #2Surfaces1Stadium
    How it has to be and probably the only way MLSE can keep their promise in regards to the pitch. Best way to not piss off the fans of both of your tenants too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    "What sticks out to you?" How about all the red?
    Yeah that is what I was thinking too.

You know what stood out to me about the interview with the Argos head coach? He said it was bigger than he thought and that he had never been to BMO Field before. I am pretty shocked at that. I would think since he was the head coach of the Argos and his team was possibly moving into BMO Field from now on, you would think he would have at least come to the stadium to check it out in case he had any concerns at all. I wouldn't think he would have waited for the press conference after the decision has been made to come out and see BMO. Kind of a joke really.