Page 152 of 197 FirstFirst ... 52102142148149150151152153154155156162 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,560 of 5892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

Up until now, I've been pretty complacent with the Argos hoopla, I figure wait until the first game...see what happens...well here is what I arrived to yesterday...my view completely blocked by the BLUE hoardings left behind. Zero view of the net...After spending the entire pre-game complaining and dealing with Fan Services and the useless onsite account reps, the hoarding was eventually taken down well AFTER the game started. No guarantee this won't happen again.

Prior to this I arrived on game 1 this season to discover my aisle seats had the the aisle and exit right next to my seats which I have been purchasing faithfully for the past 10 years was paved over in order to make way for a new walkway to standing area on the North End. Bars were put up for 'safety' reasons pretty much blocking my view of the big screen for replays...and the field moved about 5 feet 'south' so I'm no longer lined up with the north east corner flag.

[IMG][/IMG]

None of these changes were presented when I renewed or otherwise I would have fleed to the Southend when I had the chance. My season 10 renewal was rewarded with a 42% increase over last year...and my game day experience tanked by about 75%. I've been dealing with the account rep who offered me $50 in BMO bucks for my troubles.

If anyone has a contact higher up that I can bring forth my complaint to...I'd really appreciate the name/email or telephone...
    honestly, send an email to manning. This is brutal. I would totally walk if this was done to me.
    Very least they should make your tickets free for this season. this is total crap if your getting the runnarround. your on lower the east side like me ... there are 2000 potential seats that are never filled except for a handful of high-demand games they could easily move you too.

send emails to everyone. TFC. MLSE. even the Argos (they will have someone sitting in your seats at their games having a crappy time too)
    Last edited by Onyx; 06-19-2016 at 05:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy shit. That is disgraceful. Scream bloody murder to everyone about that.

If you aren't on twitter, get on it, and plaster it everywhere.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the Euro pitches were being screwed up due to NFL games or something else new that was put into the stadiums, for sure people would be upset with that & talking about it. Just like they did at Wembley when that happened.

Pitch looked good on Saturday, we shall see over a full season. And if they need to replace the pitch mid-season, we shall also see how the replacement sod holds up on short notice. Will there be bad seems, or stuff coming up in chunks, as we have seen elsewhere?

We know the BMO pitch has been bad from time to time in previous years w/o the Argos, due to extreme weather; bad choice of substrate when grass was initially installed; no winter tarp, no pesticides, no grow lamps etc. I think there is in fact a chance that the field will be better for TFC than it was before the Argos, due to the extra care, extra investment, and extra scrutiny. No idea if realistic, but it's possible.

For sure I will never ever stop talking about the pitch. I'll praise it when it's good; I'll complain when it's bad (especially if that is due to the Argos). And the worry & interest shown by fans and the media, will be one more important reason for MLSE to continue to do the best they can to avoid negative impact from the Argos. If we don't care, they won't care as much either, especially over the long run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    If the Euro pitches were being screwed up due to NFL games or something else new that was put into the stadiums, for sure people would be upset with that & talking about it. Just like they did at Wembley when that happened.
    Like this?

The turf at Marseille's Stade Velodrome was a touch too much for Didier Deschamps' France to handle against Albania on Wednesday.
    And the France coach laid the blame with officials who allowed a rock concert to be staged at the stadium last month.
    "It's a disaster, but that's not surprising," Deschamps said of the pitch. "If you have an AC/DC concert a month before the European Championships -- they're changing the pitch, re-laying the turf."
    http://www.espnfc.us/european-champi...tch-conditions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    So I'm driving home after the TFC\Galaxy game I have TSN radio 1050 on in the car, the 11PM sports update comes on, the lady doing the sports update does the sports update and mentions the usual Jays score some baseball scores the US Open and some other stuff even some obscure CFL news but no mention of the TFC score nothing nada! I listen to sports updates at 1130 and at 12 midnight again yes CFL news but no TFC score on TSN Radio 1050. Just fucken incredible, a sold out BMO Field with over 30 000 people but yet it's not important enough to make one of the cities all sports station update about a game that had just finished a few hours ago. This is why no matter what like my dad always said and still says in almost his 80th year " Soccer will never go anywhere in Canada" I use too always tell him don't worry one day it will, but I'm starting to think the old man is right after shit like this still in 2016 with a team filling the stands consistently. Happy Father's day young fella I'm starting to believe you!

I agree with this 100%. Can you imagine the Blue jays, Raptors or Argos selling out a stadium with absolutely no promotion or recognition from the city's sports media.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, don't get me started on this... ...too late.

Soccer on TSN is just so much bullshit. It's like they took on MLS by default because they desperately need programming to fill the huge void where hockey used to live. But they never developed the slightest grasp of the North American game or its nuances to understand what really matters. It's just a product to fill a specified time slot. They treat NASCAR even worse.

They never give MLS the same care and attention they give the CFL. From how games are reported to pre-game build-up, post-game analysis and the use of time on Sports Centre or their pre-packaged highlight shows to illustrate the great things a sport can offer. They give European soccer games - Premier League, Champions League or Euros - a very decent bit of coverage. And hockey? They turn into puck bunnies on their knees at the drop of shin pad. Their shilling for Hockey Canada is hilarious.

The NHL - the real, meaningful hockey - is gone, sweethearts. And it's not coming back. How cruel, after all the work that went into doing that NHL Network thing. It's hilarious now watching hockey jocks like Rod Black and Steve Dryden(producer, ex-Hockey News typist) moping around Raptors games wondering where it all went wrong with hockey.

But MLS? It's like their version of having to do laundry. Done begrudgingly and with no real effort or enthusiasm. Deep down, they probably hate MLS because it is working to diminish the visibility and interest of their beloved CFL in Canada's three most crucial markets - Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 06-20-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you should look at this differently. A sold out BMO field that has been accomplished by fans of soccer without the hype of the local media community which is a positive in my books. I think this solid base of fans can only help TFC moving forward.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abso-fuckin'-lutely, A Stick.

Winning, in the stands and on the pitch, without media hype shows what an organic process is underway with soccer in Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    I think you should look at this differently. A sold out BMO field that has been accomplished by fans of soccer without the hype of the local media community which is a positive in my books. I think this solid base of fans can only help TFC moving forward.
    I was thinking that same thing before I read this comment. Our TV ratings are still poor. Our coverage in the news on some stations is piss poor, often not mentioned at all. But in the stands....we can get 30k fans with very little media and news coverage compared to the other sports. Shows we have a good number of hardcore fans that attend these games with or without much media. Argos are going to have to really push advertising to get there tickets sold!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sure there are way more viewers of illegal streams of MLS games in Canada than CFL. This would change the numbers a lot. If I had a product that I wanted to market I would pay for the MLS time slot because it would be less expensive than other time slots but you know that the advertising is getting to many more households than is being reported by the statistics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was talking to this argo fan friend of mine today who went to the pre season game and he made the best comment ever. He said the field was pretty nice and we was relieved he didn't see any soccer lines on the pitch as he was worried that this would ruin the (CFL) football experience. LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Oh, don't get me started on this... ...too late.

Soccer on TSN is just so much bullshit. It's like they took on MLS by default because they desperately need programming to fill the huge void where hockey used to live. But they never developed the slightest grasp of the North American game or its nuances to understand what really matters. It's just a product to fill a specified time slot. They treat NASCAR even worse.

They never give MLS the same care and attention they give the CFL. From how games are reported to pre-game build-up, post-game analysis and the use of time on Sports Centre or their pre-packaged highlight shows to illustrate the great things a sport can offer. They give European soccer games - Premier League, Champions League or Euros - a very decent bit of coverage. And hockey? They turn into puck bunnies on their knees at the drop of shin pad. Their shilling for Hockey Canada is hilarious.

The NHL - the real, meaningful hockey - is gone, sweethearts. And it's not coming back. How cruel, after all the work that went into doing that NHL Network thing. It's hilarious now watching hockey jocks like Rod Black and Steve Dryden(producer, ex-Hockey News typist) moping around Raptors games wondering where it all went wrong with hockey.

But MLS? It's like their version of having to do laundry. Done begrudgingly and with no real effort or enthusiasm. Deep down, they probably hate MLS because it is working to diminish the visibility and interest of their beloved CFL in Canada's three most crucial markets - Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

Hockey viewership on TV is still huge. Hockey will always be there in Canada, but no Canadian teams in the playoffs this year, plus Leafs sucking for about a decade now has really hurt Canada and the city with the biggest market in the world for Hockey. Some Canadian teams having a deep surge into the playoffs or winning a cup will bring back a crazy hockey buzz in the city, but as far as growth in the sport, and growth in kids playing hockey I think will be a tough sale in this city. Its is to expensive for most to play the game or attend a Leafs game. In many ways I think the NHL kind of did this to themselves, I myself once was a big hockey fan, but prices cut me out, the game became for the rich to me and the suits in the seats at the ACC. Once I got into soccer and attended matches in England I forgot all about hockey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    I am sure there are way more viewers of illegal streams of MLS games in Canada than CFL. This would change the numbers a lot. If I had a product that I wanted to market I would pay for the MLS time slot because it would be less expensive than other time slots but you know that the advertising is getting to many more households than is being reported by the statistics.
    sure some people use other ways to stream games. But I don't think many are to be honest, it would have to be very extreme levels of people streaming games in order to get our TV ratings up that high. I believe the viewership is very low for TFC on TV. Everyone I know that attends TFC games go to TFC games for the atmosphere and being at a live event. When it comes to TV...they have so much competition with better on field quality. Many people I know would attend TFC games, but watch Premiership, or Bundesliga, or Champions League, Or Euros and World Cup, they usually wouldn't bother with New York City vs Chicago Fire. They might watch TFC if they are away, but even then many wouldn't go out of there way to watch TFC away, rather just check the high lights or something to see how they did.

Sports like CFL many fans think of attending maybe 1 game a year if they lucky, watch the rest on TV, they have a smaller hard core base of fans attending games, but they watch more on TV, a lot more probably because they will watch any team play, they might not watch the whole game, but pop in and out, MLS is really a you have to be there type experience with huge competition on TV. CFL only competes with NFL and College Ball viewership, which half of CFL's season has no other american football to compete with. Soccer has so much more stuff going on constantly around the world to watch.
    Last edited by james; 06-20-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    sure some people use other ways to stream games. But I don't think many are to be honest, it would have to be very extreme levels of people streaming games in order to get our TV ratings up that high. I believe the viewership is very low for TFC on TV. Everyone I know that attends TFC games go to TFC games for the atmosphere and being at a live event. When it comes to TV...they have so much competition with better on field quality. Many people I know would attend TFC games, but watch Premiership, or Bundesliga, or Champions League, Or Euros and World Cup, they usually wouldn't bother with New York City vs Chicago Fire. They might watch TFC if they are away, but even then many wouldn't go out of there way to watch TFC away, rather just check the high lights or something to see how they did.

Sports like CFL many fans think of attending maybe 1 game a year if they lucky, watch the rest on TV, they have a smaller hard core base of fans attending games, but they watch more on TV, a lot more probably because they will watch any team play, they might not watch the whole game, but pop in and out, MLS is really a you have to be there type experience with huge competition on TV. CFL only competes with NFL and College Ball viewership, which half of CFL's season has no other american football to compete with. Soccer has so much more stuff going on constantly around the world to watch.
    James is on the ball on all points. Only about 10% of Canadians don't have cable. Then you to have reduce the numbers by people who are sports fans (20-30%), soccer supporters and MLS watchers. So, streaming numbers aren't going to move needle today.

Soccer gets solid to ok tv ratings but the pecking order puts MLS last behind Premier, Champions, Euros, World Cup, Cdn women's matches etc..For example, about 2x more people watched the Euro matches at 9am eastern on June 4-5 than most MLS matches and beat the most watched MLS match of 205k on a March Sunday evening. Canada vs Brazil women on June 4 beat all MLS tv ratings except for 4 matches.

So, the comparative focus should be on MLS matches first outperforming other soccer match tv ratings. Outperforming other sports ratings is too much of leap now. Raptors were in touching distance but given their playoff run, they may also be out of reach for MLS to catch up anytime soon.
    Last edited by mr k; 06-20-2016 at 01:42 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    i was talking to this argo fan friend of mine today who went to the pre season game and he made the best comment ever. He said the field was pretty nice and we was relieved he didn't see any soccer lines on the pitch as he was worried that this would ruin the (CFL) football experience. LOL.
    Who would have thought that Argos fans have the same fear?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Who would have thought that Argos fans have the same fear?
    The CFL experience in all this is a bit different. I used to hear (and said myself) about the soccer lines on Ivor Wynne's old field - the yellow got in the way of the white. It was a distraction

i.e. Their concern was both sets of lines on the field at the same time. That's how most CFL fields have soccer lines on the fields.

This is a fanbase that was agog at getting actual Argo logo'd drink cups after decades of Coke coming in a Blue Jays cup. They are shocked at being liked and stuff being done for them rather then just being tolerated.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

Up until now, I've been pretty complacent with the Argos hoopla, I figure wait until the first game...see what happens...well here is what I arrived to yesterday...my view completely blocked by the BLUE hoardings left behind. Zero view of the net...After spending the entire pre-game complaining and dealing with Fan Services and the useless onsite account reps, the hoarding was eventually taken down well AFTER the game started. No guarantee this won't happen again.

Prior to this I arrived on game 1 this season to discover my aisle seats had the the aisle and exit right next to my seats which I have been purchasing faithfully for the past 10 years was paved over in order to make way for a new walkway to standing area on the North End. Bars were put up for 'safety' reasons pretty much blocking my view of the big screen for replays...and the field moved about 5 feet 'south' so I'm no longer lined up with the north east corner flag.

[IMG][/IMG]

None of these changes were presented when I renewed or otherwise I would have fleed to the Southend when I had the chance. My season 10 renewal was rewarded with a 42% increase over last year...and my game day experience tanked by about 75%. I've been dealing with the account rep who offered me $50 in BMO bucks for my troubles.

If anyone has a contact higher up that I can bring forth my complaint to...I'd really appreciate the name/email or telephone...

hey bud - I had a similar thing happen in year one. Metal bars went up in front of the seats and I raised holy hell.
    DO NOT accept their token $50 'sucker bet'. Demand to speak to the highest person you can get. Make sure to be polite, never swear, and reinforce that you now have "an obstructed view", and that it happened without warning.

The ticket reps are generally very accommodating, and should be able to move your seats down the row, or do something to fix the problem. I'll repeat my key points: Do NOT take their $50 coupon (unless you get one for every game) and don't get mad at the reps - they can help you out, and will be more willing to help a nice person.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    I posted something about that a couple of pages ago. But how distracting is a centre circle when you have Home Hardware ads on the field?
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You realize Argo fans are on our side too, if they complain about lines and the field condition it only validates our points further, MLSE will continue to takes things seriously if Argo fans join in on our concerns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    I posted something about that a couple of pages ago. But how distracting is a centre circle when you have Home Hardware ads on the field?
    exactly. While both sides may make the same argument one side would CLEARLY be way more negatively affected if things don't go as promised by team ownership. That's why i laughed at my friend when he made that comment. nevermind the fact that mcgill stadium has (i assume permanent) soccer lines on it during CFL games and it's doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last night the radio question came up again.
    After a game at BMO I drive home to Acton. When I move in July, I will be driving home to Guelph. I would LOVE to hear a post-game discussion or call in show dedicated to TFC.
    Last night, while driving west along Queen St. I tune in the TSN1050 sports channel and they are broadcasting the post game comments of John Gibbons after the Blue Jay game. I channel flip and of course they are broadcasting the very same comments that Fan 590, home of the Blue Jays, are broadcasting.
    What exactly is their target audience, Blue Jay fans who have listened to the game on 590 and magically switch stations post game or Blue Jay fans who are unable to find 590 on their dial?
    Frankly, Bell and Rogers deserve each other. I and my driving home ears deserve better

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone find it funny that during the TFC broadcast they cut to a promo about tomorrow's home opener.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    It does concern me about those tire tracks in the northeast corner, as I know golf carts are a regular fixture on the sidelines of football games, so that's the only way those could have shown up. I think some thought needs to be put into the logistics of the sidelines, as I suspect all carts went through a bottleneck at that point and it's that bottleneck that would have forced the carts to rut the ground.

edited to add, I tweeted at the grounds crew, they said the lines were from LAG pregame sprinting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Thanks for keeping an eagle eye out @paul-collins.
    Update after Tuesday - there were visible divots in the ground @ the same location, which says to me that in no way could they have been caused by running only. This game, the paint for the back line was visible inside the holes.

I've posted a pic on my twitter. @paulscollins

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see stuff below the sideline. Where on the field again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First spot appears to be 2-3 feet from the corner kick arc; second one is about the width of a golf cart away from that. The twitter pic they seem to be smudges in the back line paint.

Sorry, from work I can't see twitter images, so I was unsure if you had seen it - having checked this site from another device, I see you've got my pic there. Zoom in on the flag and look at the back line, you should see the spots. They match up with the previous image in my twitter feed from Saturday night.
    Last edited by paul-collins; 06-22-2016 at 02:45 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone else notice the cables above the field? Presumably for the cfl sky cam.
    Also looks like they'll be hanging banners above the south end, though as long as they're removed for tfc gam es that really isn't an issue.
    As always, it's the turf. An exhibition game is far different than regular season. We'll have a better idea after the home opener (and rugby match sunday).
    Radio station was agressively giving away tix for game, looks like a papered sell out tommorow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bell/TSN are certainly giving blanket coverage to their Argos opener. They are going to have over 10 of their on air personalities on site either in the stadium or at pre-game stuff taking place outside the stadium.

http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/fro...w-at-5-p-m-et/
    CFL ON TSN’s live season opener coverage features host James Duthie; Brian Williams; the CFL ON TSN panel of host Rod Smith with Matt Dunigan, Milt Stegall, and Jock Climie; Football Insider Dave Naylor; and Senior Correspondent Gary Lawless –
    – SPORTSCENTRE’s Darren Dutchyshen and Kate Beirness broadcast live from the Argos’ new fan zone, The Shipyard, from 5 to 7 p.m. ET –
    – Pre-game coverage includes Cabral “Cabbie” Richards tailgating with fans and THE SOCIAL’s Kate McKenna hosting a barbecue 101 alongside MASTERCHEF CANADA Season 3 runner-up Jeremy Senaris –
    – Fans can watch a live performance by Canadian rockers The Strumbellas, and Hedley’s Jacob Hoggard singing the Canadian national anthem –
    Quite the contrast to their TFC/MLS coverage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    Radio station was agressively giving away tix for game, looks like a papered sell out tommorow
    Yeah no surprises there. I wonder how much money Bell is losing over Argos this year.

So much hype but still can't sell out says how far behind Argos have fallen despite all the support they're getting from media to local polictians. Also I wonder if TiCat fans are going to outnumber (or at least be more vocal) Argo fans tomorrow.

Argos goal selling 15K season seats seem to failed. One thing you can say about TFC is their support on grassroot level is real and not fake in terms being force fed from media and others like we are seeing with Argos right now. I can easily see this back firing in the long term if Bell keeps forcing Argos down everyone throats.

Hopefully field wouldn't be damaged after tomorrow's circus event.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is also the big opening of the summer tent pole for TSN.

They live and die by 2 events.

The World Junior Championships in December

&

CFL

Both are shoved forward relentlessly.

I'm a Ti-Cat fan - I'm not going but I am going to watch, with interest to see how the field holds up.

Oski Wee Wee

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TravelPat View Post
    Bell/TSN are certainly giving blanket coverage to their Argos opener. They are going to have over 10 of their on air personalities on site either in the stadium or at pre-game stuff taking place outside the stadium.

http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/fro...w-at-5-p-m-et/

Quite the contrast to their TFC/MLS coverage.
    Holy Second Tenant Extravaganza!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER