Page 153 of 197 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,590 of 5892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    This is also the big opening of the summer tent pole for TSN.

They live and die by 2 events.

The World Junior Championships in December

&

CFL

Both are shoved forward relentlessly.

I'm a Ti-Cat fan - I'm not going but I am going to watch, with interest to see how the field holds up.

Oski Wee Wee
    Like Argos, TSN has fallen so behind Sportsnet it actually getting sad to see how desperate they're becoming to a point that they're treating Argos home opener like it's Grey Cup game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is also the big opening of the summer tent pole for TSN.

They live and die by 2 events.

The World Junior Championships in December

&

CFL

Both are shoved forward relentlessly.

I'm a Ti-Cat fan - I'm not going but I am going to watch, with interest to see how the field holds up.

Oski Wee Wee
    What about the NFL?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    What about the NFL?
    The TSN division doesn't make as much money off the NFL as they do the CFL and the World Juniors. CTV takes the Sunday day games and thus gets bigger crowds.

BUT, the ratings for stuff TSN does (Sunday and Monday night) ratings were not up there with CFL - those NFL games usually do less then 500K. CFL was way down last season (19%) and approached those NFL ratings. TSN has to turn that around or there will be cuts to CFL programming.
    That's another reason for the big push. The people in the CFL crews for TSN know their jobs are on the line if the ratings stay bad - God help them if they dropped another 19%. Not only would TSN be losing ratings, they are now paying the operating costs of 1/9th of the league. That would jeopordize the whole CFL cash flow, which is dependent upon CFL eyeballs.

The big hope is a Toronto renaissance pushes TV numbers.

They are scared silly. If this doesn't work, a LOT of people will be out of work and the CFL itself will be in serious doo-doo.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 06-23-2016 at 10:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The TSN division doesn't make as much money off the NFL as they do the CFL and the World Juniors. CTV takes the Sunday day games and thus gets bigger crowds.

BUT, the ratings for stuff TSN does (Sunday and Monday night) ratings were not up there with CFL - those NFL games usually do less then 500K. CFL was way down last season (19%) and approached those NFL ratings. TSN has to turn that around or there will be cuts to CFL programming.
    That's another reason for the big push. The people in the CFL crews for TSN know their jobs are on the line if the ratings stay bad - God help them if they dropped another 19%. Not only would TSN be losing ratings, they are now paying the operating costs of 1/9th of the league. That would jeopordize the whole CFL cash flow, which is dependent upon CFL eyeballs.

The big hope is a Toronto renaissance pushes TV numbers.

They are scared silly. If this doesn't work, a LOT of people will be out of work and the CFL itself will be in serious doo-doo.
    Yes, and to make it worse, Bell would like to shut down TSN and just carry US sports networks. Not just sports, they don't want to have any TV production in Canada, as you say, it just isn't profitable enough.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's really more troubling for the league as a whole is when we see the #'s for Fox MLS Sunday night programs being around the same as TFC games in Canada - usually 90K for a nationally televised (admittedly on a sports cable network but still) channel game.

MLS is regressing TV wise to be a game supported most by those who go to games - away games are broadcast for the diehards only, who pay for it.

The CFL is already there in Toronto - God help it if that spreads to the rest of the country.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it supposed to rain today or nah?

I obviously don't want it to because it will demo the field, but I also kind of want it to pour starting at five.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's really more troubling for the league as a whole is when we see the #'s for Fox MLS Sunday night programs being around the same as TFC games in Canada - usually 90K for a nationally televised (admittedly on a sports cable network but still) channel game.

MLS is regressing TV wise to be a game supported most by those who go to games - away games are broadcast for the diehards only, who pay for it.

The CFL is already there in Toronto - God help it if that spreads to the rest of the country.
    Yes, the CFL and MLS have a lot in common. Likely if it hadn't been for the support of TSN the CFL would have folded by now. Will MLS owners be satisfied with just gate receipts forever?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I have spent months and years shaking my fist at the Argo invasion of the National Soccer Stadium.
    Shaking my fist like a senior with kids on his lawn...

I have tickets (freebies) to tonight's Argo home opener. Call me conflicted, I plan to occupy a seat, but also plan to grumble everytime a divot forms.

Should I wear double blue or red and grey?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    I know I have spent months and years shaking my fist at the Argo invasion of the National Soccer Stadium.

I have tickets (freebies) to tonight's Argo home opener. Call me conflicted, I plan to occupy a seat, but also plan to grumble everytime a divot forms.

Black & Gold

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Like Argos, TSN has fallen so behind Sportsnet it actually getting sad to see how desperate they're becoming to a point that they're treating Argos home opener like it's Grey Cup game.
    This isn't TSN as much as it is the Kilmer group. TSN didn't hire the artists or the bands, or setup tailgating. This is all Argos/Kilmer initiatives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Yes, the CFL and MLS have a lot in common. Likely if it hadn't been for the support of TSN the CFL would have folded by now. Will MLS owners be satisfied with just gate receipts forever?
    they will have to be, no one is watching on TV. MLS is lucky the TV contract came up for renew after the USMNT had a few big rating games on TV.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mod Edit: No ArgoTrolls here. Have fun at your corporate tailgate.

-Jack
    Last edited by Jack; 06-23-2016 at 02:51 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mod Edit: Removed ArgoTroll's post

I kind of want to watch TSN coverage of the tailgate while it rains.

Here's an honest question: If I'm at the tailgate (which I will never be) and it starts to pour, can I sit in my car with my beer?
    Last edited by Jack; 06-23-2016 at 02:50 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    I kind of want to watch TSN coverage of the tailgate while it rains.

Here's an honest question: If I'm at the tailgate (which I will never be) and it starts to pour, can I sit in my car with my beer?
    The tailgates look pretty good I will check it out at least once this season.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mod edit: Removed ArgoTroll's post
    or see that MLSE doesn't even give a shit about the pitch .... they already got your $
    Last edited by Jack; 06-23-2016 at 02:51 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post

You're not going for Toronto so...

I'm not for this groundshare but I am for supporting ones local.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    or see that MLSE doesn't even give a shit about the pitch .... they already got your $
    They sure are jumping through hoops for us about it now, though. Let's see how if it continues past the opener coverage.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS makes money in so many other ways, they are even making money on the Copa America which has been going on in the US this month, they of course always cry poor when it comes to player wages, if the MLS had to survive on TV ratings it would have died a long time ago, I don't see TV ratings getting any better and I also see the MLS going on for a long long time even when most of us on this board are gone.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I disagree, but I hope you have fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Black & Gold

LOL.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Black & Gold
    Won't be alone. Ti_Cat fans will be in force there tonight

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The General does not approve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm no turf expert, but reading that the pitch is going to be in rough shape once the argos play 4-5 games.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Woo hoo, corporate sponsored and organized tailgates!

Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Woo hoo, corporate sponsored and organized tailgates!

the worst part is reading the globe and mail articles where people comment with things like
    "wow $4 beers are awesome! that's pretty comparable to what you can get in bars, and this is even cheaper than some of those ahahah!".

it kinda shows you the level we're on as a sports city (be it CFL or MLB or MLS) where PURCHASING BEER at a tailgate is seen as some sort of fantastic accomplishment.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I'm not a fan of the corporate tail gate.

Now where is that thread where I can complain about not getting an invite to that thing at Muzik?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    the worst part is reading the globe and mail articles where people comment with things like
    "wow $4 beers are awesome! that's pretty comparable to what you can get in bars, and this is even cheaper than some of those ahahah!".

it kinda shows you the level we're on as a sports city (be it CFL or MLB or MLS) where PURCHASING BEER at a tailgate is seen as some sort of fantastic accomplishment.
    I think it was posted after that those $4 beers are regular cans not tallboys. Ill take my $6 pints or $5 shots at locus any day over that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on ticketmaster tickets available >2000 and Stubhub prices of $11.

I think this is Argo team is DOA.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    I think it was posted after that those $4 beers are regular cans not tallboys. Ill take my $6 pints or $5 shots at locus any day over that
    i'll take my "i just filled a travel mug full of wine" any day over that as well.
    i've been taping tetra-packs across my abdomen to smuggle into BMO these past couple of games.

the downside is when I refill them in the bathroom people walk out looking at me like i'm sipping on a cup of piss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    i'll take my "i just filled a travel mug full of wine" any day over that as well.
    i've been taping tetra-packs across my abdomen to smuggle into BMO these past couple of games.

the downside is when I refill them in the bathroom people walk out looking at me like i'm sipping on a cup of piss.
    Just get a flask mitten and drink scotch from it... sure you will look like a psychopath with 1 mitten on in the summer but it's probably worth it.