Page 74 of 197 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 5892
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw a great comment on the Sportstnet site's article re the Argos to BMO field.
    If the CFL lines can be washed off with water as MLSE claims, what happens if it rains during an Argo game?
    Do the lines start disappearing?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/leiwe...impact-soccer/
    Last edited by Petor; 05-19-2015 at 09:09 PM. Reason: added link

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    You can't kill off what is making money.

Now the Argos on the other hand....Now there's a loss leader. Better hope the 12K who come out to games drink a lot.
    I bet the Argos go through the same bump the Als did when they first went to Molson Stadium. I bet the first few years they fill the place. And if they do bring home a Grey Cup, watch out. The corporate boxes will also be full. Hopefully this pushes everyone to up their game. We all know the Skydome is death to anyone who plays there. If the Jays played in a new outdoor 40K stadium, they sell it out.

If you can put up with the first 8 years of this total shit show-on and off the field- then you can live through sharing BMO. You don't have to go to Argos games or even watch them on TV.
    Last edited by One time poster; 05-19-2015 at 09:23 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's a great question.

Logical.

Maybe it was a special garden hose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    It's a great question.

Logical.

Maybe it was a special garden hose.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disgusting that this had to happen. Let's first look at some obvious matters, the Toronto Argonauts as most know, are the oldest team in Toronto and pro sports today which still have the same name. The "double-blue" has been associated with the Argonauts since day one, and was the influence (until the 90s) of the colors of all our other teams. Yes, the Leafs, the Blue Jays, even the short lived one year Huskies. Of course in the 90s this changed, the purple Raptors which turned red, and red Toronto FC, obviously they were red and white because they were a "Canadian" team. Anyways, before I get all sidetracked, let us not forget that now the traditional Double Blue Argonauts are now playing in a stadium with all red seats (for the most part). It will seem very unusual, considering current trends, most of those red seats will be exposed in broadcasts, with a team that is associated with blue.

As I said before, and this is very controversial, I don't know why people are so obsessed with playing a form of gridiron that is played in one country. Let's face it, every single CFLer if they were offered a contract in the NFL would go there any day. Considering as the NFL game gets exposure all over the world that now collegiate gridiron leagues exist outside North America, it just looks even more stupid for us to have an iron fist approach surrounding gridiron in Canada. It would be kind of like playing hockey with six skaters (which did in fact exist at one point) and forcing everyone in the country to play hockey that way when everyone else in the world plays the five skater variant.

I'm sure as we go forward in time, BMO Field will most likely be seen as a Toronto FC stadium (or soccer stadium) just as most of us see the SkyDome as a Blue Jays stadium, (or baseball stadium) as the Argonauts have not had any relevance here for a long time. I really, really, REALLY, want to know who watches CFL games to have ratings that high. Anyone with half a brain knows that throughout Toronto (and the GTA) that you see way more people wearing Toronto FC gear than you do see people wearing Argonauts gear or Tiger-Cats gear, which really shows who is currently more relevant in the region.

The stadium decision downright sucks, and like what someone else said "It's a made-in-Toronto solution". I tend to agree that's exactly the case, I know I'm getting a bit off topic, but the decisions in terms of infrastructure projects (transportation related) are expensive band-aid solutions that don't do anything to remedy the massive congestion problem this region faces in the future. Laugh at me now, but don't laugh when sometime in the mid 2020s that the Crosstown LRT gets rebranded as a 500-series route.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is brutal, a kick in the nuts! If I see CFL Football lines on our pitch...
    Last edited by FluSH; 05-19-2015 at 09:49 PM.
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    This is brutal, a kick in the nuts! If I see American Football lines on our pitch...
    That's actually Canadian Football lines on our pitch. American Football is a different game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rockerduck View Post
    That's actually Canadian Football lines on our pitch. American Football is a different game.
    Haha you beat me to my edit!
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by One time poster View Post
    I bet the Argos go through the same bump the Als did when they first went to Molson Stadium. I bet the first few years they fill the place. And if they do bring home a Grey Cup, watch out. The corporate boxes will also be full. Hopefully this pushes everyone to up their game. We all know the Skydome is death to anyone who plays there. If the Jays played in a new outdoor 40K stadium, they sell it out.

If you can put up with the first 8 years of this total shit show-on and off the field- then you can live through sharing BMO. You don't have to go to Argos games or even watch them on TV.
    If you read the comments from people against sharing BMO, you'll note that a vast majority are worried about the atmosphere at BMO getting killed off because of the required reconfiguration - including but not limited to losing the north stand and therefore not having the field enclosed. Try and understand people's objections before you tell us to bend over and take one.

Also, "Eight time poster", as others have pointed out you are on a TFC supporters discussion board. If you're not going to come up with arguments better than "you support a shit team so you should be willing to live with a shittier venue", then your comments come off as douchy trolling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    If you read the comments from people against sharing BMO, you'll note that a vast majority are worried about the atmosphere at BMO getting killed off because of the required reconfiguration - including but not limited to losing the north stand and therefore not having the field enclosed. Try and understand people's objections before you tell us to bend over and take one.

Also, "Eight time poster", as others have pointed out you are on a TFC supporters discussion board. If you're not going to come up with arguments better than "you support a shit team so you should be willing to live with a shittier venue", then your comments come off as douchy trolling.
    Good one Geoff, cheers

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by One time poster View Post

You are on TFC Forum,go troll somewhere else.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    The same 2nd rate field that is used by the biggest teams in the world???
    BMO field is used by the biggest teams in the world? I know Real Madrid played there once and Man City coming up soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    We don't like this arrangement but I wouldn't be surprised if the Argos also become unhappy with turf endzones and a grass playing field.

This is really a made-in-Toronto solution. Rather than make a tough decision that actually have a trade off - we'll bastardized something in an awkward attempt to please everyone. It's just like building an airport shuttle that is too expensive to make sense for people to take because God forbid we upset taxi drivers or allow the GTAA to lose parking revenue??
    That's their problem. Beggars cannot be choosers.

Edmonton Eskimos did it for a whole season at Commonwealth and I never heard of any complaints. It had nothing to do with soccer but that's moot. They did it and it was fine.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No surprise that this was going to happen. And don't be surprised if, down the not too distant road, there will be some arm twisting to make the Argos the number one tenant at BMO Field, while TFC gets the shit end of the stick.

Kumbaya, my left butt cheek!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Cityboy View Post
    the minute I see pointy ball lines on that field, I'm done

See ya!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    This is brutal, a kick in the nuts! If I see CFL Football lines on our pitch...
    its not your pitch! The entitlement by some of you in this thread is embarrassing. I am a diehard CFL & also a huge fan of soccer worldwide & the way some of you are acting does zero to entice sports fans in this country to follow the sport. You folks need to realize that tax payers built that stadium with CFL football as a requirement.

And to those who say they are done following TFC simply because someone else is going to use the stadium goes to show the low level of loyalty you truly have towards this franchise you supposedly love. Good riddance. Instead of acting like spoiled 6 year olds, welcome the Argos & try to work together as it could be beneficial to both franchises.

And as as a life long soccer fan, some of you need to grow up!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 to 100 real quick, welcome to the boards Migs!
    06-18-09 i was there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    No surprise that this was going to happen. And don't be surprised if, down the not too distant road, there will be some arm twisting to make the Argos the number one tenant at BMO Field, while TFC gets the shit end of the stick.

Not sure how that could ever come to be.

Net revenue from Argos will be lower than TFC.
    -------------------------------------
    Argos: 9 Regular Season Games
    TFC: 17 Regular Season Games + Cup + Lucrative Friendlies

Argos: Potential of 1 play-off game (and occasional Grey Cup)
    TFC: Potential of up to 4 or 5 play-off games including / potentially MLS Cup (Ya I know, we'll believe it when we see it)

Ticket Prices: TFC > Argos

Paid Attendances: Probably TFC > Argos

Beer Sales: TFC > Argos
    ------------------------------------
    Let's also remember that Rogers is insisting that the Argos pay full-market facility rental rates! No sweetheart deals!

Net full-season stadium revenue from Argos could be as low as 20-25% of TFC.

There's no way they become the #1 tenant at BMO Field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad Bell and Tanenbaum are doing the obvious, but still don't see why they don't just build a CFL stadium. Oh, right. MLSE. They just want public money. Duh. God I hate that fucking duopoly.

I'll save an opinion on if the shared stadium is a success or not to see if the pitch holds up. As long as it's in good shape for soccer AND works well for football then I'm good with it. Anyone who thinks the Argos wont make money at BMO is dreaming though. With MLSE marketing behind them they'll be the new hot ticket in town within 3 or 4 years, no matter what stadium they play in. Bell and Tanenbaum don' do charity. MLSE is really good at one thing and one thing only, making money. If they didn't think they could make money on the deal, they wouldn't do it. Either way, as long as the pitch is ok I really don't care what happens. I'll happily watch both teams play there when I'm back in town.

All that said, if there's one thing we can all celebrate- THIS THREAD IS FINALLY DEAD. I don't know which was more infuriating to go through trying to find any actual updates- this or the Dero thread back in the day. Holy crap.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Migs View Post

See ya!

One wash with a garden hose sprayed. Proof it can be done but not proof what it will actually look like.

For a guy who says TFC fans should try to work with this, your first post was pretty trolling.

Mirror buddy....look in it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    ...Anyone who thinks the Argos wont make money at BMO is dreaming though. With MLSE marketing behind them they'll be the new hot ticket in town within 3 or 4 years, no matter what stadium they play in. Bell and Tanenbaum don' do charity. MLSE is really good at one thing and one thing only, making money. If they didn't think they could make money on the deal, they wouldn't do it. Either way, as long as the pitch is ok I really don't care what happens. I'll happily watch both teams play there when I'm back in town.
    Bell and O'Tannenbaum wiill have to create their own marketing team. And "the hot ticket" in this town the last 10 years has included the decidedly downmarket Toronto Rock and the Marlies, both of which bring in far less per bum in the seat then TFC. Being the latest thing doesn't mean people will spend money while there.

How many people buy an Argo shirt every year?

What's beer consumption at Argo games per capita?

How many of those 45+ year olds from the 905, who are the majority of Argo fans, are going to take the streetcar to BMO?

How many 30 year olds and millenials with spending power are going to go to an Argo game? (Hint - that's not who started going in Montreal)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I now hate the Argos more than the Columbus Crew.

Fuck.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    One wash with a garden hose sprayed. Proof it can be done but not proof what it will actually look like.

For a guy who says TFC fans should try to work with this, your first post was pretty trolling.

Mirror buddy....look in it.
    That comment above though about rain deserves to be asked publicly to the guy saying it won't be an issue.

If water washes it away, for football or for soccer, that's a problem isn't it on those rainy nights?

i cited Hull FC in saying I am optimistic that the turf will hold up. I am not optimistic about the lines. Rugby lines are very visible in Hull. I think we will see faint reminents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post

This would not surprise me one bit. First you get your foot in the door, then you push for changes. I think the seat color is going to become a bone of contention quickly. At best, I think we are going to end up with a neutral stadium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That comment above though about rain deserves to be asked publicly to the guy saying it won't be an issue.

If water washes it away, for football or for soccer, that's a problem isn't it on those rainy nights?

i cited Hull FC in saying I am optimistic that the turf will hold up. I am not optimistic about the lines. Rugby lines are very visible in Hull. I think we will see faint reminents.
    The line, Leiweke suggested, would be rendered invisible with use of a special high-pressure water machine.
    I'm sure it will be fine in the rain. Its going to take pressure to wash it off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Bell and O'Tannenbaum wiill have to create their own marketing team. And "the hot ticket" in this town the last 10 years has included the decidedly downmarket Toronto Rock and the Marlies, both of which bring in far less per bum in the seat then TFC. Being the latest thing doesn't mean people will spend money while there.

How many people buy an Argo shirt every year?

What's beer consumption at Argo games per capita?

How many of those 45+ year olds from the 905, who are the majority of Argo fans, are going to take the streetcar to BMO?

How many 30 year olds and millenials with spending power are going to go to an Argo game? (Hint - that's not who started going in Montreal)
    We've known all along this has little to do with the Argos and everything to do with Canadian content ratings for TSN/Bell (be interesting to see what they get from the CRTC. My guess is less CanCon in prime time on CTV, but can there be any less than they show now?). And then it looks like it was about getting Tannenbaum to pony up, wonder what he gets for it. It's all about the deals, isn't it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ yes. Though the picture above was done with a garden hose. I assume they had a sprayer on it but still, wet turf and 300 lb guys rolling around on it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck the Argos. That is all.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ yes. Though the picture above was done with a garden hose. I assume they had a sprayer on it but still, wet turf and 300 lb guys rolling around on it?

Typically, only the O-linemen are over 300lbs. And if they are rolling around the Toronto Argonauts have bigger problems than the paint washing off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Press conference at 1:30pm today at BMO