I fucking hate Norm Kelly.

Entitled asshole.
    Ironic comment to say the least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldtraffordPEI View Post
    I hate the idea of CFL at BMO, but on the plus side..for those of us who like the blue jays, does this mean they are getting grass sooner?
    No. They still have to figure out the how.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    You mean the mis-information being spread around by Rogers? David Braley denied that report.

David Braley denies report that an Argo sale fell apart when accountant saw books and projected a $7-8 million annual loss to run it right.
    I guess that's why so many buyers were lining up to buy the team and build them their own stadium....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why was there a 2 week gap last years playoffs between conference semi finals -> conference finals? (Semi's played Nov 9th-10th, Finals opened Nov 23rd)

Also, the CFL is considering moving up the CFL schedule by 2 weeks for the 2016 season.
    Fifa Calendar. International matches were played that week.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    The overreaction to this is really sad to hear out of the "supporters group" forum.

The hate for MLSE is funny too because it is such a two way street with their fans, especially for this team. Unlike the established sports they need to ensure they appeal to the fans here in order to maintain their attendance. They have done so by continually spending money on talented players, unfortunately none of them have worked out. On the flip side, they have the same mentality as a fanatic rather than a supporter when it comes to their managers. Constantly overreacting to every little thing and creating so much turnover that it's impossible to build a successful team.

At the end of the day, TFC will continue to play at BMO and management seems to want to make this a success, otherwise why else would they invest all this money into a stadium/players/training academy/usl team/usl stadium etc.

As Larson once mentioned on twitter.. this is North America, multipurpose stadiums are the norm especially when it comes to public ownership of these stadiums. Personally I don't care that this is happening, I will continue to cheer on this team because I love the sport. If you can't do that because a pitch has a faint line on it, or an extra divot than off you go. The stadium won't miss you.
    Save your defining a supporter talk for elsewhere. People on this forum can respectfully disagree and differ in what's important to them. There are different supporters who support differently and they are all welcome. Even you. No need to be dismissive.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Migs View Post
    Wasn't trolling at all, just stating a fact. You don't own this stadium & YOU don't have to work with anything. Fact is the Argos are coming & that is great news for football fans across the country as opposed to a few closed minded self entitled soccer fans. And this is coming from someone who's passionately watched soccer all of his life.
    So it's good for CFL fans across the country that the league has weak teams that can't draw fans and lose money?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larry has first crack if either decides to sell, so Bell could sell to Larry, and Larry & Bell screws Rogers.
    Actually that's not true. The other telco has first crack to the best of my understanding. The entire structure was designed to minimize larry's power as a minority stakeholder.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Actually that's not true. The other telco has first crack to the best of my understanding. The entire structure was designed to minimize larry's power as a minority stakeholder.
    Maybe, I just remember reading somewhere that Larry get's first crack if one or the other decides to sell.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't trolling at all, just stating a fact.
    Your first post was a picture of a non washed out line followed by the words "See ya" to somebody who said they didn't want to see lines.

How EXACTLY is that not trolling?

You don't own this stadium & YOU don't have to work with anything.
    I am a citizen of Toronto. Darn right I own that stadium

Fact is the Argos are coming & that is great news for football fans across the country as opposed to a few closed minded self entitled soccer fans.
    Meh.....as I've indicated the Argos have issues and this is just punting them down the road a bit. And, I'm a former Argo SSH and a Ti-Cat fan who has been watching the CFL for over 40 years.

And this is coming from someone who's passionately watched soccer all of his life.
    Just not at BMO, I take it? Would that be because you don't like the product?

Funny how people prefer a certain product and then tell others who like another one to lump it if the second one is threatened.

And, like it or not, if Desso doesn't work, TFC goes downhill.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe, I just remember reading somewhere that Larry get's first crack if one or the other decides to sell.
    What would he have to gain by buying a money loser when he he has no vested interest like Bell does? Not even sure why he wanted it now but he does do a lot of pretty stupid things so...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ironic comment to say the least.
    Given that Kelly's twitter account is well known to be run by a bunch of millenials and not Norm himself, the irony is splattered like a panzerotti hitting the wall.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the plus side; setting the Argos up all pretty like this means they better perform at the gate and in the big guys pockets or else there will be a folding coming. Sometimes, when you are shit, you are better off to be in the place that gives you an excuse to why you're shit. They won't have that now. They'll have to openly admit that CFL doesn't matter to the people of TO that actually spend money on sports entertainment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Your first post was a picture of a non washed out line followed by the words "See ya" to somebody who said they didn't want to see lines.

How EXACTLY is that not trolling?

I am a citizen of Toronto. Darn right I own that stadium

Meh.....as I've indicated the Argos have issues and this is just punting them down the road a bit. And, I'm a former Argo SSH and a Ti-Cat fan who has been watching the CFL for over 40 years.

Just not at BMO, I take it? Would that be because you don't like the product?

Funny how people prefer a certain product and then tell others who like another one to lump it if the second one is threatened.

And, like it or not, if Desso doesn't work, TFC goes downhill.
    I wouldn't bother - the guy isn't even from Toronto - he's from Regina. And he's banned

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    As per a Norm Kelly tweet
    WTF CB how many times do I have to explain trolling to you?

Nobody here wants to see BMO in Blue.

Norm Kelly is trolling us as TFC support. Don't help him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also Duane on Twitter mentioned something that seems more productive that us just bitching that the Argos are shit.

Duane Rollins@24thminute 1h1 hour agoToronto, Ontario
    As others have said, battle now for soccer fans regarding BMO should be #SeparateSurfacesSeparateTeams. That should unite both Fan groups
    I mentioned that Argos guy who said about the plastic pitch put over the desso grass so the Argos never lay a cleat on BMO field. That should be what it's all about now. Who cares if the parasitic CFL club known as the Argos has to infest another stadium? As long as it doesn't ruin our grass and playing quality for certain and not just in theory.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part of me thinks this is going to go through a stage in about 7 years where the cry will be "we don't control our own revenue streams" and the Argos will be bought fully by MLSE.

I still think the end game out of all this is a 60K SSS in Downsview by 2030 while the Argos make do in BMO (or whatever it is called) down by the lake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I guess that's why so many buyers were lining up to buy the team and build them their own stadium....
    The only interested buyers were media companies - same as for the Leafs/Raptors. Gate receipts just cover the costs, all the profit comes from broadcast rights and even then, apparently, only if the same company owns the team and the broadcaster.

We either need more media companies or MLS should really model itself on the NFL and not allow corporate ownership.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    Not sure how that could ever come to be.

Net revenue from Argos will be lower than TFC.
    -------------------------------------
    Argos: 9 Regular Season Games
    TFC: 17 Regular Season Games + Cup + Lucrative Friendlies

Argos: Potential of 1 play-off game (and occasional Grey Cup)
    TFC: Potential of up to 4 or 5 play-off games including / potentially MLS Cup (Ya I know, we'll believe it when we see it)

Ticket Prices: TFC > Argos

Paid Attendances: Probably TFC > Argos

Beer Sales: TFC > Argos
    ------------------------------------
    Let's also remember that Rogers is insisting that the Argos pay full-market facility rental rates! No sweetheart deals!

Net full-season stadium revenue from Argos could be as low as 20-25% of TFC.

There's no way they become the #1 tenant at BMO Field.
    You raise some valid points. But given the history that both Bell and Tannenbaum have operated their sports teams - ie, ditching any long term plans they set up for quick fix solutions and noisy demands from the public and the media - it really shouldn't be a shock if they decide to make the Argos a bigger priority at BMO Field at the expense of TFC.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also Duane on Twitter mentioned something that seems more productive that us just bitching that the Argos are shit.

I mentioned that Argos guy who said about the plastic pitch put over the desso grass so the Argos never lay a cleat on BMO field. That should be what it's all about now. Who cares if the parasitic CFL club known as the Argos has to infest another stadium? As long as it doesn't ruin our grass and playing quality for certain and not just in theory.
    This was my first thought as well.

Make the Argos buy a new turf surface for their games that can be rolled over the grass for game days only, then it can be stored during the week and in between Argo games.

Argos and TFC train in Downsview all week any way.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turf need a few days to bed down before it can be played on, doesn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think that is possible down the road...i dont think they wanna piss off tfc and futbol fans...23 to 25 soccer games per season 10 cfl games...money money money.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    This was my first thought as well.

Make the Argos buy a new turf surface for their games that can be rolled over the grass for game days only, then it can be stored during the week and in between Argo games.

Argos and TFC train in Downsview all week any way.
    #SeparateSurfacesSeparateTeams

This would be the solution that would make most people happiest. We get our pitch not chomped up and the Argos (and their owners) can get some revenue from putting Rona logos all over the field.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anybody done the roll on turf over grass thing for a whole season?

And IIRC, this was being shot down cause of what it did to the grass.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Turf need a few days to bed down before it can be played on, doesn't it?
    Apparently yes, but this system can support grass underneath without harm for almost a week and that one high school or college football team in the US does something similar on game days and it's fine. The surface isn't so much a concern for pointy ball. Overall this seems like the best bet as they will have to buy something like this anyway if they intend on hosting an outdoor Leafs game and you know they do and they want to soon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would only be about 10 days. 12 max.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'll be maybe 10 games - but it will have to be down a few days before each to allow it to be bedded down and the rubber pellets - so it could be 30 days.

Then there's the turf drainage issue - what happens there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If an artificial turf is laid on top of the grass for a 24 hour period and then removed, the grass should hold up, shouldn't it?

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't trolling at all, just stating a fact. You don't own this stadium & YOU don't have to work with anything. Fact is the Argos are coming & that is great news for football fans across the country as opposed to a few closed minded self entitled soccer fans. And this is coming from someone who's passionately watched soccer all of his life.
    You keep using the word "entitled". I do not think you know what it means.

"Entitled" is demanding a new domed stadium to be built with taxpayer's dollars after the disastrous 1982 Grey Cup final at the old Exhibition Stadium. That's what the Argos and their fans in the 80s did.

"Entitled" is feeling you've outgrown the aforementioned stadium that was built for you and coming up with a plan to groundshare at York University along with MLSE and Soccer Canada, and then bowing out of that project entirely leaving the university and the other partners picking up the pieces.

"Entitled" is believing you somehow deserve a place at BMO Field, despite all the points mentioned above and not paying a cent for it's construction.

If you think TFC fans are are entitled, what the fuck does that make you? Because I think it makes you a spoiled fucking child who has never been made to pay their own way in this city. You're proud of the fact that you're basically a charity case. Sure, TFC and MLSE have had help from the city and province to get the operating at BMO up and rolling, but those are investments that are paying off quite well given the massively successful ticket and concession sales at the stadium. The Argos, on the other hand, are always needing a hand-out or someone else to take up the slack for them.

If they were anywhere near as financially successful as their few fans want to believe, then why the fuck can't they build and play in their own stadium instead of playing second fiddle and groundsharing with a baseball team and a soccer team for over 40 years? Simple question. Do you have an answer?
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am curious, if this does cause TFC popularity to suffer over the long term (or short term even) with empty seats at their newly expanded stadium and a decrease in TFC ticket sales/merch and other revenue from the stadium, I wonder how this will affect Rogers and MLSE in general since Rogers have a stake in TFC and the stadium but not the Argos. If the Argos killed off some of their anticipated revenue there may be some friction in the MLSE ownership team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently yes, but this system can support grass underneath without harm for almost a week and that one high school or college football team in the US does something similar on game days and it's fine. The surface isn't so much a concern for pointy ball. Overall this seems like the best bet as they will have to buy something like this anyway if they intend on hosting an outdoor Leafs game and you know they do and they want to soon.
    Would only be about 10 days. 12 max.
    Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    It'll be maybe 10 games - but it will have to be down a few days before each to allow it to be bedded down and the rubber pellets - so it could be 30 days.

Then there's the turf drainage issue - what happens there?
    Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    If an artificial turf is laid on top of the grass for a 24 hour period and then removed, the grass should hold up, shouldn't it?

If the new turf we get next year is the same as what Wembly has then it should be able to withstand the roll-over-top.

IIRC Wembly has covers for when concerts, boxing and other events that require a floor go in. and the covers sit right on top of the grass for 3-5 days, then they pick it up and the grass is still in decent shape (they just give it a little care before a game is played to make it perfect).
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018